ADVERTISEMENT

BYE BYE EHE

I wish him well. He has some nice moments but certainly not a crippling move for SHU. We’re better off targeting a Gill/Bediako type athlete. EHE was 6’10” with a 4” vertical. Played Bilmeier ball down low. Has a nice deep stroke but very little in the post.

Someone challenged it in court and won. So the NCAA relented and allowed everyone sitting out to play. Now it seems there are no real rules being enforced as the NCAA knows they will lose any challenge in the courts.
I guess that makes sense legally but it just adds to the chaos. NCAA is killing themselves the players and the coaches with these rules. It sucks that we no longer have what makes college basketball great.

The last 5 minutes of the @LeftCoastPirates interview kind of touched on it and I was like that was depressing, but they are right. To paraphrase they indicates that its hard to get up for a team that is going to change every year and you dont get to know the players and see their development. There is no more Sandro type player that you are going to see grow for 4 years. If that tweener progresses to a certain level he out and leaves for the money.

Guys like EHE isnt even a tweener hes a lucky to be here with a chance to grow to a glad to have you but that is only going to happen with a steady system and coaching. Moving from place to place is not going to help his progression.

I know I am not saying anything new but its just frustrating because its a disservice to most involved, from the player all the way to the fan.

that being said ... #Shawetrust.

Last edited:
Someone challenged it in court and won. So the NCAA relented and allowed everyone sitting out to play. Now it seems there are no real rules being enforced as the NCAA knows they will lose any challenge in the courts.
Actually this is not quite accurate. A university, West Virginia or one it’s players I think, took the one year transfer to court. Before the court ruled, the NCAA entered into an agreement with the court to allow multiple transfers this year and in return the court would hold a full hearing on the matter. The NCAA has said if they win in court, they would go back to enforcing the one free transfer rule. Some of the details above may be off but this is where it stands per my memory. Have no idea when the matter will be resolved. Of course the NCAA hasn’t done very well in court recently.

Takeover-760.jpg

Actually this is not quite accurate. A university, West Virginia or one it’s players I think, took the one year transfer to court. Before the court ruled, the NCAA entered into an agreement with the court to allow multiple transfers this year and in return the court would hold a full hearing on the matter. The NCAA has said if they win in court, they would go back to enforcing the one free transfer rule. Some of the details above may be off but this is where it stands per my memory. Have no idea when the matter will be resolved. Of course the NCAA hasn’t done very well in court recently.

It would be SO much better if they win the case.
No idea how it will end up though. It's true that the sit out year does limit the bargaining power for the student so it's hard to see them winning. I think the NCAA needs to get creative with other options.

It would be SO much better if they win the case.
No idea how it will end up though. It's true that the sit out year does limit the bargaining power for the student so it's hard to see them winning. I think the NCAA needs to get creative with other options.
The answer is simple. Shut it down. There's nothing that says schools are required to put out intercollegiate sports. The system needs a reset. Shut down intercollegiate sports in June, the athletes will cave by July

Reactions: CaptBob
The answer is simple. Shut it down. There's nothing that says schools are required to put out intercollegiate sports. The system needs a reset. Shut down intercollegiate sports in June, the athletes will cave by July
Yeah cuz this is what every D1 school is hoping for

This is a poor take, dip you toes and you might not have a landing spot.

If I were coach, once you officially enter the transfer portal there is no coming back. I wouldn't allow myself or my program to be used like that.
so you wouldnt take dre davis back? really? doubt it

so you wouldnt take dre davis back? really? doubt it
Or you're putting a guy like Sanders on notice, you have a good next year and dip your toe in the water and don't get what you want, you could be screwed.

The NCAA is looking to do away with all transfer sitcouts ASAP:

Didn't expect this.Maybe Sha wouldn't promise him that he'd be the starter at center next year with the frosh coming in and whoever else Sha wants to bring in at that spot.In any event,I don't see it as the end of the world as he's replaceable.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
NCAA brought this upon itself-- dumb ,greedy leadership. Always banked on Players being gone before Courts would rule -spent needless money with seeking to power play ( altho NCAA makes plenty off the Players ).

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This idea is the equivalent of the “boil the ocean” approach to anti-submarine warfare. Actually I think boiling the ocean was a slightly more feasible idea than stopping all college sports.

This idea is the equivalent of the “boil the ocean” approach to anti-submarine warfare. Actually I think boiling the ocean was a slightly more feasible idea than stopping all college sports.
Players having the ability to go from team to team on a yearly basis is a recipe for revenue loss. Once revenue loss happens, they’ll boil the ocean if they have to.

• Haha
Reactions: Better Call Saul
It’s not going to stop because there will be someone to pay for it. Really a reflection on our society that universities of higher learning can rationalize having mercenary players led by coaches making three times what the university President makes. And this has become the best strategy to attract real students?

I wonder what the players really think? Wealthy people or a crowd fund set up to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for a school they care little or anything about.

When NIL became a thing, it was felt we needed $1 million; then $1.5 million; now it’s more like $3 million. Goalposts will continue to move because they can…Calipari $7 million with incentives….
I can respect someone that chooses to get off that train.

Last edited:
Because he is from the area and the guy in front of him is leaving. EHE leaving means that someone is likely offering him something we can't? Unless it is because of someone else coming in.. that seems like a really bad sign.
Is it we can’t or Sha thinks he can better spend the NIL

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It’s not going to stop because there will be someone to pay for it. Really a reflection on our society that universities of higher learning can rationalize having mercenary players led by coaches making three times what the university President makes. And this has become the best strategy to attract real students?

I wonder what the players really think? Wealthy people or a crowd fund set up to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for a school they care little or anything about.

When NIL became a thing, it was felt we needed $1 million; then $1.5 million; now it’s more like $3 million. Goalposts will continue to move because they can…Calipari $7 million with incentives….
I can respect someone that chooses to get off that train.
It’s out of control and things where I thought a player truly deserved NIL I’m not believing so anymore. Powell was here 4 years. Anyone who bought a 13 jersey if they sold them was buying a Powell item. Now if you buy a jersey, you know damn well there’s a good chance that player is gone next year, so you’re probably buying a jersey of the team more than a specific player. This isn’t like the early 90s when they sold 24 or Miami football jerseys all had Ken Dorsey numbers.

Reactions: HALL85 and Merge
Is it we can’t or Sha thinks he can better spend the NIL

Right, I hope we have someone else coming in because we have a gigantic hole at center right now.
He was the only guy I assumed wouldn't test the waters to see what he would be worth as a transfer honestly given this was a homecoming for him, we don't have a center (yet) and he didn't have a great season that would demand a high NIL.

Reactions: HallX2
It’s out of control and things where I thought a player truly deserved NIL I’m not believing so anymore. Powell was here 4 years. Anyone who bought a 13 jersey if they sold them was buying a Powell item. Now if you buy a jersey, you know damn well there’s a good chance that player is gone next year, so you’re probably buying a jersey of the team more than a specific player. This isn’t like the early 90s when they sold 24 or Miami football jerseys all had Ken Dorsey numbers.
This is so true. I brought this up on another thread. The whole underpinning of NIL (as i understand) was so players could prosper when their jerseys are sold, or their image on video game etc. The reality is no one is buying a jersey anymore because the player is going to be gone the following year. Imagine buying a Richmond jersey this year, and then next year he is at the Rock playing for St John's.

The NCAA is so inept is embarrassing. NCAA should create a position called.....VP of Common Sense. I think whoever got the job could solve most of these issues in 1/2 day. The first one is quite simple......you get 1 non-sit out transfer. After that, you need to sit out a year unless the coach leaves. That is it.

I have a bunch of suggestions for NIL, but i won't post them.

Educated guesses?
How much did he want to stay?
How much did he make this year?

This is so true. I brought this up on another thread. The whole underpinning of NIL (as i understand) was so players could prosper when their jerseys are sold, or their image on video game etc. The reality is no one is buying a jersey anymore because the player is going to be gone the following year. Imagine buying a Richmond jersey this year, and then next year he is at the Rock playing for St John's.

The NCAA is so inept is embarrassing. NCAA should create a position called.....VP of Common Sense. I think whoever got the job could solve most of these issues in 1/2 day. The first one is quite simple......you get 1 non-sit out transfer. After that, you need to sit out a year unless the coach leaves. That is it.

Would never work. The transfer rule is finished. They try to implement it would only results in more lawsuits. There argument is student athletes are the only students who have a rule against transferring.. Any other undergrad can change schools as many times as they want without any consequences. By limiting them from transferring you are potentially preventing them from making substantial money through NIL and that's where the problem is. I wish it was different but the only way around it is by having players get paid directly by the school and signing them to multi year contracts where there is a financial penalty if they leave early.

The legal system won’t allow much of the NCAA rules anymore including the one you proposed.

The legal system won’t allow much of the NCAA rules anymore including the one you proposed.

Have been thinking about that. Since the kids are getting paid now, can't we start to treat them like professional athletes? Anyone who plays is required to sign for 2 years with that school. They are free to leave within that period if they sit a year, after two years they can be a free agent.

Still chaotic, after two years but would maintain a level of bargaining power for the player that isn't as disruptive as year after year free agency.

Would never work. The transfer rule is finished. They try to implement it would only results in more lawsuits. There argument is student athletes are the only students who have a rule against transferring.. Any other undergrad can change schools as many times as they want without any consequences. By limiting them from transferring you are potentially preventing them from making substantial money through NIL and that's where the problem is. I wish it was different but the only way around it is by having players get paid directly by the school and signing them to multi year contracts where there is a financial penalty if they leave early.
Shut it down. I'll bet 300 of the 350+ D1 athletic departments lose money.

Have been thinking about that. Since the kids are getting paid now, can't we start to treat them like professional athletes? Anyone who plays is required to sign for 2 years with that school. They are free to leave within that period if they sit a year, after two years they can be a free agent.

Still chaotic, after two years but would maintain a level of bargaining power for the player that isn't as disruptive as year after year free agency.
Would have to be deemed employees then, which they should be. All contractual with buyouts, etc.

Shut it down. I'll bet 300 of the 350+ D1 athletic departments lose money.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Last month I wrote a stern email to James Pitaro at ESPN after they signed that six year, 7.8 billion dollar deal for the College Football playoffs and told him he was crazy for participating in this lunacy. Amazingly, he wrote back and said he would consider reneging on the deal but asked for my suggestion on how to fill the many hours of dead air he would have if college sports were to shut down. I told him that was not my problem.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Would have to be deemed employees then, which they should be. All contractual with buyouts, etc.
This is the real answer. Lets stop this charade what is going on. They want to get paid, ok there is then a contract that puts you in the employ of the school for a period of years. This is the only solution because what is happening now, cannot be sustained

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT