ADVERTISEMENT

This from a GOP Senator

Lengthy article about Sasse's diatribe in the _Times_ this a.m. (10-16).
Sasse, however, didn't reject Trumps "crucial" endorsement of his current re election run. I'm not a Trump supporter, but I'd like to see these fair-weather critics like Sasse, Collins, Rubio vote against some major political appointments of the president: kind of putting their money where their mouths are.

Also...... 538 election site predicts Trump carries Nebraska 72% to 25%. And Sasse wins 66% to 30%.

There are plenty of reasons to speak up against Trump and Biden. It appears one side allows freedom to express those counter viewpoints and the other doesn't. Either that or in 47 years Biden has a perfect track record and people can't find a thing to disagree with him on.

If Trump is not re elected, is Ben Sasse the future of the Republican Party?

I would hope so but probably not. He is smart, classy, speaks well and makes sense. He would be a choice I could get behind. He is considered a moderate which I prefer from either party. I like Nikki Haley too. She could certainly be the future as well. Tim Scott would be terrific and probably a very smart move by Repubs. Sasse has his detractors though who are in the deep Trump camp. He would appeal to a broad audience and the Repubs would be wise to invest in someone like him which means they won't. I am the kiss of death. Every time I like a candidate they get beaten in the primary or an election and are never to be heard from again. :)

Reactions: HALL85

I like him a lot... that is probably not a great sign for him as the future of the party though.
Will be interesting to see what happens to the party post Trump, but it is more similar to Sasse than people trying to suck up to Trump's base.

I'm sure if Twitter didn't take down the NY Post article on Hunter, @NYShoreGuy would be posting it all over this board. But because they took it down he can't.

Like any party that loses a landslide election or multiple elections in a row (Democrats 1968-1988 lost 5/6), Republicans will have to go into the wilderness and figure out who they are. Maybe getting back to center a right economic message and out reach to hispanics who could be a cultural fit (entrepreneurial, conservative family values, Catholic). A lot of work to do. We’ll see what they come up with.

Like any party that loses a landslide election or multiple elections in a row (Democrats 1968-1988 lost 5/6), Republicans will have to go into the wilderness and figure out who they are. Maybe getting back to center a right economic message and out reach to hispanics who could be a cultural fit (entrepreneurial, conservative family values, Catholic). A lot of work to do. We’ll see what they come up with.
Democrats are Catholics too

Democrats are Catholics too
You’re right. I was speaking in terms of cultural values as opposed to relogiosity. Of course the Republicans have to rethink their entire position on immagration but there are opportunities to make inroads with Hispanic voters if they wish to.

You’re right. I was speaking in terms of cultural values as opposed to relogiosity. Of course the Republicans have to rethink their entire position on immagration but there are opportunities to make inroads with hispanic voters if they wish to.
There is a big rush on this board with Latinos and republicans

Its their only chance to be relevant over the next 10 years. But first they need to figure out who they are and what they stand for.
Asian Americans may also be an opportunity for Republicans,.Self -sufficient, family oriented, education a priority. Add them to Hispanics and the GOP starts to build a center right voting block of size.

Its their only chance to be relevant over the next 10 years. But first they need to figure out who they are and what they stand for.

I think you're overstating the case. Jackass that he is, Trump got half the (voting) country to vote for him in 2016. He will get clobbered this time around, but it's not as if the whole country has gone progressive. Most of the left wing-nuts who have been crying for the last four years would never have voted Republican ever anyway. Case in point: NJ keeps electing Bob Menendez.

Bush had a great plan for the Dreamers (not referred to that way), controlling the borders and immigration but it was voted down. Was a huge miss for our politicians and things would have been different now for sure regarding Latino voters. All Republicans do not think the same way.

And yes it is sad that NJ voters keep voting in the same rif raf year after year and our state continues to struggle. Menendez is a lowlife and a crook. Murphy may go down as one of the worst Governors I can recall.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Bush had a great plan for the Dreamers (not referred to that way), controlling the borders and immigration but it was voted down. Was a huge miss for our politicians and things would have been different now for sure regarding Latino voters. All Republicans do not think the same way.

And yes it is sad that NJ voters keep voting in the same rif raf year after year and our state continues to struggle. Menendez is a lowlife and a crook. Murphy may go down as one of the worst Governors I can recall.
NJ has had republican governors in the range in which the 2 federal senators representing the state are dems

Reactions: silkcitypirate
but it's not as if the whole country has gone progressive.

Sasse made the point that kids may be growing up watching Trump, are turned off by the party that goes along with him and may become democrats. It's not really wrong to say a course correction is needed considering that 2018 was the largest mid-term win for democrats ever, and Trump is polling worse than any incumbent in 80+ years.

If the 2020 results end up close to where the polling is now, republicans will be focusing a lot on returning to "traditional republican values".

Sasse made the point that kids may be growing up watching Trump, are turned off by the party that goes along with him and may become democrats. It's not really wrong to say a course correction is needed considering that 2018 was the largest mid-term win for democrats ever, and Trump is polling worse than any incumbent in 80+ years.

If the 2020 results end up close to where the polling is now, republicans will be focusing a lot on returning to "traditional republican values".
Yes but that is covid related and his direct reaction to it

Yes but that is covid related and his direct reaction to it

In almost every pre-pandemic head to head matchup. Biden was ahead by a fair amount.

Covid is certainly a part of it now, but it would be a mistake to not acknowledge 2018 mid terms being historically good for democrats and Trump's approval rating even before the pandemic. All of that in the context of a fairly strong economy and it just seems pretty clear to me that republicans need a shift away from Trumpism.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
In almost every pre-pandemic head to head matchup. Biden was ahead by a fair amount.

Covid is certainly a part of it now, but it would be a mistake to not acknowledge 2018 mid terms being historically good for democrats and Trump's approval rating even before the pandemic. All of that in the context of a fairly strong economy and it just seems pretty clear to me that republicans need a shift away from Trumpism.

Agree, and it'll come fast; Trump is a phenomenon, and not a typical Republican by any means. I'd like to see less McConnell and Graham and more Crenshaw as the party moves forward.

Section 112 writes above about the future of the "deep Trump camp" after a potential loss next month. That camp has two divisions: the 40%-plus of the electorate who will vote for him and the national Republican legislators who blindly supported him for the last four years. If Trump gets drubbed, it will be interesting to see how the Ted Cruzes and Rick Scotts fare in their next elections and how they spin the narrative. I think Scott and Haley have been too lined up with Trump to take on the Republican mantle.

I think Scott and Haley have been too lined up with Trump to take on the Republican mantle.
Not at all. Scott has always done his own thing and so has Haley. She will always go to bat for anyone in the party including Trump but I believe she smartly removed herself from his cabinet for the future. She is a terrific politician that speaks reasonably and makes a lot of sense and has a great record being a two-term Governor of South Carolina. She also did a great job in the aftermath of the awful Charlotte church shooting. She is no slouch and Dems can try to paint a picture that she is a Trump loyalist but she has a long record long before Trump came along. She is also someone that can get swing voters and appeal to women which has to be one of the Repub goals in the future.

Reactions: SPK145 and HALL85
Agree that Haley is a smart politician, but there is no doubt she has been "a Trump loyalist" for the last four years. When has she spoken out or taken a stand against anything he has supported? She had that tiff while as the U.N., but that was more with Kudlow. When has Scott voted against a Trump command? He should have been bolder about Charlottesville, Trump's cozying to white hate groups and his militarizing of the cities this summer, or his affair with Putin. At least Romney, Collins, and Murkowski registered votes on some Trumpian issues. And many [of them] had "a long record" before 2016. The question is why didn't they have the courage on some ---- not all, and not even most--- but some really divisive issues?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
“Cozying to white hate groups?”...MSM talking point...hmmm

Haley is no Trump loyalist and Scott has called Trump out frequently on his tweets. Both Haley and Scott have taken stances that were not popular with some Republicans.

Reactions: Section112
Agree that Haley is a smart politician, but there is no doubt she has been "a Trump loyalist" for the last four years. When has she spoken out or taken a stand against anything he has supported? She had that tiff while as the U.N., but that was more with Kudlow. When has Scott voted against a Trump command? He should have been bolder about Charlottesville, Trump's cozying to white hate groups and his militarizing of the cities this summer, or his affair with Putin. At least Romney, Collins, and Murkowski registered votes on some Trumpian issues. And many [of them] had "a long record" before 2016. The question is why didn't they have the courage on some ---- not all, and not even most--- but some really divisive issues?
You are simply repeating the talking points. Plenty of Dems with no courage. You need to follow Scott and Haley more closely. Scott has spoken up quite a bit on improving policing and wrote a pretty good law that was not adopted. Much different than Trumps stance. Haley was very strong with her comments after the Charleston massacre not something Trump is good at and has failed there for sure. She has kept a low profile after she left the UN position but has always spoken plainly about things. Why didn't Dems speak up about sending a plane load of money to Iran or selling uranium to the Russians etc? We could be here all day with this honestly as the hypocrisy lives very strongly in both parties and I am not a Trump fan. Your arguments are repeats of the usual talking points, so I'm gonna politely bow out and agree to disagree.

You are simply repeating the talking points. Plenty of Dems with no courage. You need to follow Scott and Haley more closely. Scott has spoken up quite a bit on improving policing and wrote a pretty good law that was not adopted. Much different than Trumps stance. Haley was very strong with her comments after the Charleston massacre not something Trump is good at and has failed there for sure. She has kept a low profile after she left the UN position but has always spoken plainly about things. Why didn't Dems speak up about sending a plane load of money to Iran or selling uranium to the Russians etc? We could be here all day with this honestly as the hypocrisy lives very strongly in both parties and I am not a Trump fan. Your arguments are repeats of the usual talking points, so I'm gonna politely bow out and agree to disagree.

Good. I am as well.

Reactions: Section112
“Cozying to white hate groups?”...MSM talking point...hmmm

Haley is no Trump loyalist and Scott has called Trump out frequently on his tweets. Both Haley and Scott have taken stances that were not popular with some Republicans.

"militarizing the cities..." ??? I don't think he did enough to forcefully stop the violence.

Section 112 writes above about the future of the "deep Trump camp" after a potential loss next month. That camp has two divisions: the 40%-plus of the electorate who will vote for him and the national Republican legislators who blindly supported him for the last four years. If Trump gets drubbed, it will be interesting to see how the Ted Cruzes and Rick Scotts fare in their next elections and how they spin the narrative. I think Scott and Haley have been too lined up with Trump to take on the Republican mantle.
I disagree because policy wise trump is not far right. his antics make it easy to dislike him especially if you prefer to ignore the issues.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT