ADVERTISEMENT

This from a GOP Senator

I disagree because policy wise trump is not far right. his antics make it easy to dislike him especially if you prefer to ignore the issues.
That is a good take. His antics and rhetoric are the problem and winking to fringe groups. But his policies are not far right. For instance he just brokered a peace deal between Israel and the Sudan and that is the third peace deal the US brokered with Israel and Arab countries (including UAE and Bahrain). That is significant and has higher odds of encouraging peace and trade in a difficult region. Crickets from the media but this is a bi-partisan deal that all Americans should get behind. And if Obama did it it would be put on all the main channels and celebrated. Trump changed the law (Biden's law) for mandatory sentences that put thousands of black and minority men in jail and he also did other good things that are not necessarily far right. I personally wish he got something done on health care a big miss for me but he is trying to make things more transparent (e.g., hospital pricing and fees and trying to reduce pharma costs for the US compared to other countries). But if you pay attention to the MSM you would never know any of this stuff. He was a Democrat for years. He is an ahole and a nepotist for sure I concur, but his policies have not been largely far right at all. If it is said 100 times it is not always true.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
Trump is not a traditional Republican/conservative. He's his own brand.

That is a good take. His antics and rhetoric are the problem and winking to fringe groups. But his policies are not far right. For instance he just brokered a peace deal between Israel and the Sudan and that is the third peace deal the US brokered with Israel and Arab countries (including UAE and Bahrain). That is significant and has higher odds of encouraging peace and trade in a difficult region. Crickets from the media but this is a bi-partisan deal that all Americans should get behind. And if Obama did it it would be put on all the main channels and celebrated. Trump changed the law (Biden's law) for mandatory sentences that put thousands of black and minority men in jail and he also did other good things that are not necessarily far right. I personally wish he got something done on health care a big miss for me but he is trying to make things more transparent (e.g., hospital pricing and fees and trying to reduce pharma costs for the US compared to other countries). But if you pay attention to the MSM you would never know any of this stuff. He was a Democrat for years. He is an ahole and a nepotist for sure I concur, but his policies have not been largely far right at all. If it is said 100 times it is not always true.

I think that is a fair assessment. I wouldn't call Trump far right as I think he will do anything that benefits himself over any political ideology. Unfortunately, he won an election by being abrasive and divisive and wasn't even convinced to move away from that. If he just stopped campaigning and actually tried to bring us together, he would have been in a position to get something big done on healthcare or immigration for example.

Almost all of his problems have been self inflicted. Twitter was a great campaign tool for him, but a disaster as a tool for governance.

I think that is a fair assessment. I wouldn't call Trump far right as I think he will do anything that benefits himself over any political ideology. Unfortunately, he won an election by being abrasive and divisive and wasn't even convinced to move away from that. If he just stopped campaigning and actually tried to bring us together, he would have been in a position to get something big done on healthcare or immigration for example.

Almost all of his problems have been self inflicted. Twitter was a great campaign tool for him, but a disaster as a tool for governance.
Agree 100%!

Reactions: silkcitypirate

He does things that make him look good. How’s that any different than any other politician? He campaigns because the only way he can communicate is by holding rallies and speaking publicly because the media is out to get him. he could cure cancer and the media would talk about his accountant and his taxes. Trump doesn’t do himself any favors but neither do dems these days (talk about doing nothing-all they’ve done is try to impeach him). If the President toned it down he’d win a landslide because his platform and policy is far more inclusive than what others want you to believe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT