ADVERTISEMENT

What's next?

Dec 28, 2018
As bleak as things look right now, the reality is that most programs are looking at an enormous year to year turnover. Looks like Manon is headed to Vanderbilt. SEC has deep pockets. He would have been a good get. Sha's type of kid. 6'5 guard with wingspan who could play and defend one through four if necessary. He could be a little out of control offensively at times, but competitive as hell and a dog on defense. Sorry to see Dre go but original ask for he and Kadary had to be close to 750k. Lot of big dollar figures are thrown around, but guy I coached with is now an NBA/NFL agent whose firm is into NIL negotiating, and they say it's sometimes hard to actually secure the financing promised. So not always as easy as it seems.

Dre was the heart and soul, a lunch pail guy who you could count on every game. I'm sure Ole Miss gave him a bag. SEC money again. When Richmond wanted to play, there were few better in the Big East, and he carried this team at times. He was lights out in the NIT. But let's be real, he was mercurial and there were a lot of games that he just didn't seem like he wanted to be out there. So there were peaks and valleys. He would have to really grow up a lot to take on the mantle of leadership required if he was coming back. I heard Memphis tossed around as a potential destination, but someone else mentioned Miami which made sense. I'm sympathetic to these guys having to make that money now, because they will get paid more in college than they ever would professionally.

Have to go transfer portal hard now, particularly for mid major stars. And maybe supplement with a juco or prep kid, and maybe a few ready to play freshmen. The key to all this is Sha. His ability to take a bunch of new pieces and disparate parts, and turn it into a cohesive winner is proven. His system is rooted in toughness and defense, and there is a culture that he is consistent with. In this era, that's almost as important as the players sometimes. Will be very interesting to see how we navigate this off season.

Build a roster. I mean, that’s it. This is who Seton Hall has always been in some cases, it’s just more pronounced now. We gotta find reasonable players and coach them up into a scrappy team. Coleman and Middleton are good players. I think Felton and Erheriene will be good players. See what happens with Addae-Wusu. We have the annual Posh Alexander threads. Supreme Cook is back in the portal. There was some encouraging news on Gus Yalden. Maybe Aligbe gives us something. There are visits and talks galore. Let’s see how it all shakes out, that’s all you can do. Find Bediako types.

Sha has proven he can improve players with talent. Look at Samuel, Richmond, and Davis the past two seasons. He made them money. Kentucky and Purdue are still wondering what hit them from two years ago when Sha was at St. Peter’s, lol. He’s our best and most marketable asset. He also has the relentless ambition to get it done at Seton Hall, now seasoned in these two years to hopefully keep us in good shape despite the obvious budget problems and this crazy environment.

We got very fortunate to avoid major injuries last year too, so a deeper roster is possible with the improved NIL, I hope. Then see how it comes together even if it lacks the individual top shelf level of a Richmond or Davis, who became bigger stars with Sha this year.

I would add this. I coach at the grassroots level now. Mostly mid major D1 kids. But I talk to college coaches constantly. And a lot of them say the same thing. Their order of priority in recruitment is:

* re-recruit their own players
* transfer portal
* juco
* post graduates
* HS student-athlete

It's the wild west. The recruitment of the high school student-athlete has been devalued greatly, particularly in the spring live period. So hard for these kids to go D1 now. There is very little legislation for the college game right now due to fear of perceived legal action. Yet there are so many restrictions placed on the recruitment of high school kids. It's a crazy environment, and certainly one that is not sustainable.

Professional teams have contracts that bind players to a certain number of years. Can you imagine what would happen if players at that level were allowed to switch teams every year. But then again, most leagues do have salary caps or penalties for organizations that pass certain spending thresholds.

How can a system that sucks for the fans and alumni , sucks for the school, sucks for the coaches sustain itself? It can't. I understood its good for players pocket book but no one can say it's good for their development.
I agree it sucks for the conventional fan experience, the notion of “program building” and all those connections that made it more meaningful. That’s gone and not coming back.

But what’s the measure for sustainability? It doesn’t seem to be having any negative impact on the bottom lines of men’s college basketball in terms of attendance, ratings, etc. Plus the whole NIL industry is very well funded and growing constantly. So idk.

I also wonder the impact on coaches, maybe you start getting more turn there too. Now these guys are paid a TON of money to assemble basketball rosters so they’re not exactly in the mines, but relative to what they want to do and what they’re used to it’s a lot of BS.

I don't things,are so bleak. Middleton is an excellent replacement for one of the core players. Coleman may be a more versatile player than Wusu although some experience leaves the building. Hard to say what the Prince will do, but probably a good amount of minutes.. More talent should be on the way. I root for the uniform and support the University.

I would add this. I coach at the grassroots level now. Mostly mid major D1 kids. But I talk to college coaches constantly. And a lot of them say the same thing. Their order of priority in recruitment is:

* re-recruit their own players
* transfer portal
* juco
* post graduates
* HS student-athlete

It's the wild west. The recruitment of the high school student-athlete has been devalued greatly, particularly in the spring live period. So hard for these kids to go D1 now. There is very little legislation for the college game right now due to fear of perceived legal action. Yet there are so many restrictions placed on the recruitment of high school kids. It's a crazy environment, and certainly one that is not sustainable.

Professional teams have contracts that bind players to a certain number of years. Can you imagine what would happen if players at that level were allowed to switch teams every year. But then again, most leagues do have salary caps or penalties for organizations that pass certain spending thresholds.
I'll date myself- back in the 70's,
Charlie Finley said that all baseball players should be signed to 1 year contracts. Evens the playing field! The A's were a perennial winner but Finley had no money, so they won until their best guys left for long term deals, which he would not offer. They were then awful for years. They rebuilt it again in the 80's, won, then everyone left again. More bad teams. The A's were basically the equivalent of an underfunded major program now. i think we are stuck in that spot.. We will get more PTP money, but then our opponents will too. Sha will attract excellent players as long as he's here, but the reality of PTP will call them away.

As bleak as things look right now, the reality is that most programs are looking at an enormous year to year turnover. Looks like Manon is headed to Vanderbilt. SEC has deep pockets. He would have been a good get. Sha's type of kid. 6'5 guard with wingspan who could play and defend one through four if necessary. He could be a little out of control offensively at times, but competitive as hell and a dog on defense. Sorry to see Dre go but original ask for he and Kadary had to be close to 750k. Lot of big dollar figures are thrown around, but guy I coached with is now an NBA/NFL agent whose firm is into NIL negotiating, and they say it's sometimes hard to actually secure the financing promised. So not always as easy as it seems.

Dre was the heart and soul, a lunch pail guy who you could count on every game. I'm sure Ole Miss gave him a bag. SEC money again. When Richmond wanted to play, there were few better in the Big East, and he carried this team at times. He was lights out in the NIT. But let's be real, he was mercurial and there were a lot of games that he just didn't seem like he wanted to be out there. So there were peaks and valleys. He would have to really grow up a lot to take on the mantle of leadership required if he was coming back. I heard Memphis tossed around as a potential destination, but someone else mentioned Miami which made sense. I'm sympathetic to these guys having to make that money now, because they will get paid more in college than they ever would professionally.

Have to go transfer portal hard now, particularly for mid major stars. And maybe supplement with a juco or prep kid, and maybe a few ready to play freshmen. The key to all this is Sha. His ability to take a bunch of new pieces and disparate parts, and turn it into a cohesive winner is proven. His system is rooted in toughness and defense, and there is a culture that he is consistent with. In this era, that's almost as important as the players sometimes. Will be very interesting to see how we navigate this off season.
My friend from St. John's also sent a post about Memphis and Alabama as potential landing spots for Richmond, though Repole of Vitamin Water fame/money has bragged to some in the media that Richmond is St. John's bound.

We need a PG to step in right away, and that may be none other than Posh, but I'm sure Sha has his eye on many excellent replacements.

Reactions: walshtrips
I'll date myself- back in the 70's,
Charlie Finley said that all baseball players should be signed to 1 year contracts. Evens the playing field! The A's were a perennial winner but Finley had no money, so they won until their best guys left for long term deals, which he would not offer. They were then awful for years. They rebuilt it again in the 80's, won, then everyone left again. More bad teams. The A's were basically the equivalent of an underfunded major program now. i think we are stuck in that spot.. We will get more PTP money, but then our opponents will too. Sha will attract excellent players as long as he's here, but the reality of PTP will call them away.
This means you're old enough to remember the reserve clause. That essentially tied a player to a team for life until the team decided to trade or release said player.

Until free agency came about in the aftermath of the Curt Flood case, which struck down the reserve clause, players mostly played year-to-year on one-year contracts.

Essentially what happened then and now is the leagues were found guilty of restraint of trade.

Reactions: BucBloc
How can a system that sucks for the fans and alumni , sucks for the school, sucks for the coaches sustain itself? It can't. I understood its good for players pocket book but no one can say it's good for their development.
If people (fans and alumni) are willing to pay players and the complaining coaches, then it’s sustainable.

My friend from St. John's also sent a post about Memphis and Alabama as potential landing spots for Richmond, though Repole of Vitamin Water fame/money has bragged to some in the media that Richmond is St. John's bound.
He is exactly the type of horse's ass blowhard who would shoot his mouth off before it's a done deal.

I know that I do not know all . I believe the market will get settled . I believe that once the Co-Vid Years are done a finite number of Kids will make decent money for maybe 2 years and a quite larger number will be hunting for a scholarship --. Calipari made money for himself when he did behind doors deals to get the top recruiting Class (was vilified by the "holier than thou" Coach K ) and his Freshman All-Stars won --until they did not. The Game and market change and catch up.
The Kids unfortunately , I believe , will be the losers in the end. Their "Agents"; "Friends" and Family ( without a controlled compensation scale) are making an unfair amount of the Player's money and giving advice that is not worth the amount that they take.
So, until the Market finds itself , let the Kids "be a bit ahead".

Reactions: hallball
I am at least hopeful that he gets some kind of humility sent his way with Kadary choosing to go elsewhere. Hell, I won't believe that Scotty Middleton is playing for SHU until the ball is tipped at a game at Prudential Center. There's absolutely nothing holding someone to a "commitment".

As long as people choose to pay and the market dictates. What gives any of us an inclination that it’s going to settle down? I don’t see it.

No signs that we (collective nation we) have come close to the lengths people will go, which is mind boggling to me, but that is the reality. It also is the most frustrating part of Mike McBride's non-answers if he truly stands behind them. You were behind, you are behind, and you always will be behind the ever growing number. It is why I was hoping for some actual sign that SHU will look to do things differently. They need to step out of the comfort zone and publicly "break rules" with the knowledge that they will win in the court of public opinion on getting actual revenue into the hands of the players such as Prudential Center giving a % of the gate or whatever else would go to SHU to Onward Setonia. Same for in-arena advertisers. And they need to do it publicly. Otherwise, they really don't have a plan for SHU to compete in this world. It won't be done by fan/alumni "donations".

Sha will put together a roster of guys who he feels he can mold into a sum greater than its parts. If his first two years at the helm are any indicator, then we will outperform what our roster looks like on paper. Just like Tom Crean said.

I think a realistic goal remains playing meaningful basketball in march. I wouldn’t be surprised to find us right back on the tournament bubble next season. Until there’s some stability in this NIL madness that’s probably what our ceiling is.

He is exactly the type of horse's ass blowhard who would shoot his mouth off before it's a done deal.
Yes, a perfect marriage with Rick. I'm
sure he will up the ante as much as needed if Pitino wants Richmond that badly.

I know that I do not know all . I believe the market will get settled . I believe that once the Co-Vid Years are done a finite number of Kids will make decent money for maybe 2 years and a quite larger number will be hunting for a scholarship --. Calipari made money for himself when he did behind doors deals to get the top recruiting Class (was vilified by the "holier than thou" Coach K ) and his Freshman All-Stars won --until they did not. The Game and market change and catch up.
The Kids unfortunately , I believe , will be the losers in the end. Their "Agents"; "Friends" and Family ( without a controlled compensation scale) are making an unfair amount of the Player's money and giving advice that is not worth the amount that they take.
So, until the Market finds itself , let the Kids "be a bit ahead".
What are agents, friends and family making? Anyone have a clue?
Does kadary have an agent?

To me it’s going to be all about the coaches who are willing to work the hardest. Most teams are going to have chemistry problems. Every teams biggest asset is there coach, and I feel very good about ours. Hate seeing so much movement but totally get why these young guys are moving. The times reminds me of a line from one of Tom Hanks movie, “never know what the tide will wash up”. Get the feeling we will have an exciting young team next year with lots of moving parts.

Reactions: walshtrips
This has been my opinion from day one. Get good athletes who will buy into your system and turn them into winners. There's no coach better then Sha to get the job done.
Agree but he better be taken care of in June

As long as people choose to pay and the market dictates. What gives any of us an inclination that it’s going to settle down? I don’t see it.
The NCAA will ultimately figure this out, until then the spring and summer will suck.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptBob
What are agents, friends and family making? Anyone have a clue?
Does kadary have an agent?
Biggest problem Seton 75 is that there is no control/cap on "agents" ( the Professional Leagues players associations regulate Agents and commissions are capped with highest paid for soccer player Agents @ 10% )
Without control and with the NIL being so new and not the same State to State , I have received information that some Kids giving over 1/3 . The opportunity for frauds is ripe.
I believe that ,ultimately , the Courts will allow Football ; Basketball ( Mens and Women ) to Unionize ( see Dartmouth) so that by means of collective bargaining , controls will be put in place. However this may take 3/4 Years to be worked out.
So, for the next few years the Players and the Schools will be preyed upon by those that are looking for some "easy Money".

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The NCAA will ultimately figure this out, until then the spring and summer will suck.
Walshtrips -- hate to pontificate but the NCAA is like Humpty Dumpty with the NIL. It had its chance. It is -now -almost without power and soon will be.
Virginia has passed laws that take effect in July which will allow Schools in its State to participate in NIL fund raising directly. The NCAA has policies that prohibit direct participation. Virginia law expressly prevents the NCAA from penalizing or sanctioning Virginia Schools for directly participating.
Effectively , the NCAA has /will lose any "power" it may still have over the NIL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT