ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Samuel

Assuming not ranked by rivals because he’s Canadian.

giphy.gif

Steel Curtain .. I heard that Akok was talking about going straight to pro's from HS ?? If not...please beat out Uconn for him!!

Reactions: Section112
Steel curtain hope Pitt bball comes back. There is a Pitt poster that we love on this board named Benu and he was always class when he would visit. My daughter is a senior at Pitt and these last three years have been awful bball - hope Capel gets you back but I'm glad we got Samuel.

Steel Curtain .. I heard that Akok was talking about going straight to pro's from HS ?? If not...please beat out Uconn for him!!

-To answer your question now that the announcement is over with Samuel. Akok takes the SAT test Dec. 1st and is enrolling college 2nd semester this coming year. Akok's recruitment has also been bizarre. He literally quit on his high school team without even telling his coach his future plan of action. The fact he also hasnt even taken the enrollment test until now is also bizarre. He's been heavily leaning to Pitt / Uconn for a quite some time. Pitt is going up against Uconn for multiple players right now including him, Wahab, Cockburn, Langford, etc... Akok should announce soon, and I wouldnt be surprised if one coaching staff or the other Pitt / Uconn knows his plan. It hasnt leaked, yet. But Uconn is making a major push for one of our other top targets in Wahab. Dominos will probably start to fall soon. If Pitt's staff knew they may get Akok which they may or may not yet, it could have impacted the Samuel decision. Congrats on Samuel

I don’t want this to get buried in this thread but I think it’s important to take a step back and realize how many top 100 / 4-star recruits will be on next year’s roster.

1) Myles Powell #84
2) Myles Cale #92
3) Taurean Thompson #74
4) Ike Obiagu #63
5) Tyrese Samuel #90

You don’t get five 4-star/top 100 players at a school like Seton Hall if you’re a bad recruiter. Kudos coach!

(All rankings per 247sports composite)

There are several things that stood out about Tyrese’s recruitment for me :
1. He’s from a geographic region that is not one we have ever focused on or recruited hard .
2. He’s a player you would not expect us to to get given who else was recruiting him.
3. Listening to his remarks on why he picked SH one reason was the up- tempo game we have emphasized.
4. Both Dashawn and Tyrese talked about the program’s ability and reputation for developing players. and
5. Sounds like Kevin and his staff have developed a more refined marketing pitch that resonates more with his targets .

Winning and sending players to the next level helps enormously with recruiting.

Good point Dan . There is another very important element that applies to our successful recruiting for 2019 and that is how quickly Tony and Duane have settled in and have made a substantial contribution in our recruiting efforts which have resulted in a very good three man 2019 class in Ikey , Dashawn and Tyrese .

This is IMO the best recruiting staff (assistants) that the Hall has ever had.

Willard did an enormous job hiring Skinn and Woodward. These guys are very well liked and respected and in their short time here are already responsible for the three players we have coming in next year.

Boy, the future looks bright.

This is IMO the best recruiting staff (assistants) that the Hall has ever had.

Willard did an enormous job hiring Skinn and Woodward. These guys are very well liked and respected and in their short time here are already responsible for the three players we have coming in next year.

Boy, the future looks bright.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT