ADVERTISEMENT

University of Minnesota to limit ties with Minneapolis police after George Floyd's death

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
  • Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...it-ties-minneapolis-police-george-floyd-death

MINNEAPOLIS -- Two days after a black man in Minnesota died after being pinned by police, the University of Minnesota announced that it will limit its relationship with the Minneapolis Police Department.

School president Joan Gabel made the announcement Wednesday in a letter that was sent to students, faculty and staff members, writing that the university no longer will use local officers to assist at major events, including Golden Gophers football games.

George Floyd, 46, died Monday night while in Minneapolis police custody. A bystander's video showed officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, kneeling on the handcuffed Floyd's neck, even after Floyd pleaded that he could not breathe and stopped moving. Two other Minneapolis officers held Floyd down while a fourth officer stood nearby and interacted with bystanders who pleaded with the officers to get off Floyd.

All four officers involved in the incident were fired Tuesday. On Wednesday, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey demanded criminal charges for the officers.

Protests were held in the city Tuesday and Wednesday.

"Our hearts are broken after watching the appalling video capturing the actions of Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) officers against George Floyd leading to his tragic death," Gabel said in her letter. "As a community, we are outraged and grief-stricken. I do not have the words to fully express my pain and anger and I know that many in our community share those feelings, but also fear for their own safety. This will not stand."

Gabel said she has directed school officials to "no longer contract the Minneapolis Police Department" for large on-campus events, including football games, and said the school will cut ties with the MPD for "specialized services" such as "K-9 explosive detection units."

She went on to write that Minnesota will "limit our collaboration with the MPD to joint patrols and investigations that directly enhance the safety of our community or that allow us to investigate and apprehend those who put our students, faculty, and staff at risk."

TCF Bank Stadium is about 5 miles from the site of Floyd's death. At football games, Minneapolis police often had a strong presence accompanying the university's police force.

One day before Gabel's announcement, the university's undergraduate student body president, Jael Kerandi, issued a letter and a petition demanding that the school sever its ties with the Minneapolis police.

"We no longer wish to have a meeting or come to an agreement, there is no middle ground," Kerandi's letter said. "The police are murdering black men with no meaningful repercussions. This is not a problem of some other place or some other time. This is happening right here in Minneapolis."

The Minnesota Vikings said they were deeply saddened by the incident, which happened blocks from their U.S. Bank Stadium. Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James was among several professional athletes who spoke out against the actions of Minneapolis police.

Gabel is the University of Minnesota's first female president. She was appointed in 2018, and her term began last year.

"We have a responsibility to uphold our values and a duty to honor them," Gabel wrote. "I write to you to express our overwhelming sadness, and our demands for accountability and justice. Our campuses and facilities are a part of the communities in which they reside. University students, staff, and faculty are day-to-day participants in the life of every community in this state, and we must act when our neighbors are harmed and in pain."

Read a good tweet this am.

it takes lawyers years of college to learn the law pass the bar then actually practice.

cops are given a 12 week course and handed a gun then told to enforce.

Reactions: TheGucc
This cop gives a really bad name to the 99% who set the gold standard. He should be tried in court.

The U of M not using MPD anymore seems like a bit of an overreaction, just like the riots where people loot and burn their own city, strange.

The U of M not using MPD anymore seems like a bit of an overreaction, just like the riots where people loot and burn their own city, strange.

Incredibly stupid for the U of Minn to do something this, you reap what you sow. The police are overwhelmingly a positive force spoiled by a few bad apples which are present in all professions.

And destroying your city over this shows a real lack of intelligence.

This cop gives a really bad name to the 99% who set the gold standard. He should be tried in court.

LA did this 30 years ago

Being a police officer is a tough job. A tough job which, let’s face it, doesn’t attract the quickest thinking set of humans.

When I look at that footage I don’t see murder. I see a bunch of cops who aren’t aware that what they’re doing is killing the guy. I’d put it in the manslaughter category. But boy what a tragedy. It just didn’t need to happen and shouldn’t have happened. Certainly there has to be accountability.

The reactions are clearly over zealousness acts. But understandable given the disgusting and disturbing actions of these four animals.

When something of this nature occurs in broad daylight and with impunity it opens the door to those who want to response re violence with violence.

Reactions: ceballoj
Incredibly stupid for the U of Minn to do something this, you reap what you sow. The police are overwhelmingly a positive force spoiled by a few bad apples which are present in all professions.

There are seldom intelligent responses to these kinds of acts of violence. U Minn did what they did IMO as a temporarily response to this tragic situation and I firmly stand with them.

Down the road I am sure their actions will be modified. Time and the correct judicial procedures will partially heal the wounds.

Since we don't have games to bet on, can we set a line for how long this thread will take to go down the rabbit hole and get bumped to LOTS? I give it until 6pm today.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
What this cop did was an outright execution on camera. He seemed to show no remorse as they flipped his lifeless body over to put him on a stretcher. Pure evil. That being said to hold this against all Law enforcement is wrong. Rioting and looting independent businesses is wrong. Look if these cops walk then you have a right to be outraged but let the legal system do it's job. That being said I don't understand why the officers haven't been arrested and indicted yet. They need to be convicted and put in general population in a Minneapolis prison.

I agree that are bad people in every occupation.

The problem is that justice has not been served for so many years. Could you imagine feeling so protected from the law that you could murder someone in the street with cameras rolling and the first response from your employer (the police, defenders of your community) is that some guy happened to have a medical incident? A thread of justice is being served only because it's being caught on camera and impossible for them to ignore.

The individuals looting are obviously also in the wrong and should be charged, but let's apply your a few bad apples among the heavily populated city to this population as well.

Really stupid decision by the university. Shouldn't paint the department with a broad brush just because they have a couple of rouge cops. The murderer will face justice. The rest of the good people in the department shouldn't have to suffer any consequences because of the actions of a few.

I agree that are bad people in every occupation.

The problem is that justice has not been served for so many years. Could you imagine feeling so protected from the law that you could murder someone in the street with cameras rolling and the first response from your employer (the police, defenders of your community) is that some guy happened to have a medical incident? A thread of justice is being served only because it's being caught on camera and impossible for them to ignore.

The individuals looting are obviously also in the wrong and should be charged, but let's apply your a few bad apples among the heavily populated city to this population as well.
What I watched on the video was absolutely stomach turning. I was hoping as some point SOMEONE would have made him stop. I can't understand how those cops really felt like the videos didn't matter and continued. Unless these cops really just didn't care about the repercussions??

Duly noted, see the history of the cop who did this. But how about all the times cops do good for the community, like prevent murders, that should generate as much fanfare as this.

We could apply the few bad apples to everything, including Seton Hall basketball, and we should.

How come nobody destroys their city over black on black murder, a much bigger problem than the cops?

I understand the anger and frustration, but from 1000 miles away, I wonder what might happen if the university really needs the MPD at one of its venues?

The police being the professionals they are, unlike the leadership (admin and student) of U of Minn or the protesters, would respond in kind.

Would be interesting to see if they didn't answer the phone though.

I felt angry about the guy getting murdered in the street. I feel angry about Advance Auto Parts getting burned down for no reason at all. I feel angry that people decided that this guy's life was worth taking lamps and bedspreads from a Target. I guess I just feel angry. I have a strange feeling that there is going to be a lot of problems this summer. Hope our country can pull the nose up. The Anger is going to get worse.

The police being the professionals they are (unlike the leadership (admin and student) of U of Minn or the protesters, would respond in kind.

Would be interesting to see if they didn't answer the phone though.

Yes the second some loser performs a violent act on campus the U of M will be screaming for MPD, and those men and women will go charging in to save the day.

Being a police officer is a tough job. A tough job which, let’s face it, doesn’t attract the quickest thinking set of humans.

When I look at that footage I don’t see murder. I see a bunch of cops who aren’t aware that what they’re doing is killing the guy. I’d put it in the manslaughter category. But boy what a tragedy. It just didn’t need to happen and shouldn’t have happened. Certainly there has to be accountability.

I'm leaning towards aggravated manslaughter rather than murder. The police goon with the knee on the victim's neck showed "extreme indifference to human life."

Aggravated Manslaughter

A person is guilty of Aggravated Manslaughter in NEW JERSEY if they recklessly cause death under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life. The phrase “under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life” does not focus on the defendant’s state of mind, but rather on the circumstances under which you find (he/she) acted. If in light of all the evidence, you find that defendant’s conduct resulted in a probability as opposed to a mere possibility of death, then you may find that (he/she) acted under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life.

Additionally, a person can be guilty of Aggravated Manslaughter if he causes the death of another person while fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer in violation of subsection b. of N.J.S.2C:29-2.

Reactions: batts
I'm leaning towards aggravated manslaughter rather than murder. The police goon with the knee on the victim's neck showed "extreme indifference to human life."
Legally how can a trial prosecutor deem this to be murder 2, depraved indifference?

Knee jerk move on U of M's part. Horrible tragedy and the officers should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I still cannot comprehend how the other officers stood by and watched this? I'm not sure whose actions were worse the officer slowly killing the man or the officers who idly stood by without stopping it.

Maybe UofM should try and play a role to expand the dialogue between the police and the community and try and analyze the situation to see how it can help and create more discussion on the matter? Try and be a peacemaker and show the students they can make a difference instead just the usual social media inspired knee jerk move to paint everyone with the same brush and take their marbles and go home. That may inspire true learning and social justice.

And I will always be for protesting peacefully. But will never understand how burning down a business or breaking into a store and stealing a TV is OK during a protest?

Duly noted, see the history of the cop who did this. But how about all the times cops do good for the community, like prevent murders, that should generate as much fanfare as this.

We could apply the few bad apples to everything, including Seton Hall basketball, and we should.

How come nobody destroys their city over black on black murder, a much bigger problem than the cops?

For your last line, the idea of justice not being served angers people. Whether it's taking justice into your own hands or protesting, people are pissed whenever it feels like justice isn't being served. It applies to both circumstances and almost every circumstance where someone feels wronged and justice isn't served.

You can focus on the looters in this whole situation if you'd like. Whether it's in celebration, local team wins championship, or in protest, looting is a crime, period.

What's so troubling about this is that 4 cops were involved, 1 of them had his knee on the guys neck, the other's let guy just get choked out. Am I to believe that 100% of this group of 4 cops are all bad apples or just to cowardly to save a life? How about the police as a whole saying it was a medical incident? Could you imagine how out of your mind it would make you if your loved one was murdered on camera and the men were free having chicken pot pies in their dining rooms with their family's? I'm pretty sure I would do some crazy shit. And for many other's they may have not known this man but it's hard not to feel that next time it could be their loved one. Fearful, helpless, angry.

eh. its how these 1% are always dealt with that paints a bigger picture. cops always get off with heinous crimes like these, when they should honestly be penalized more and held to a higher standard.

when they get off easy it becomes systemic and thats when it looks really bad. usually they are given paid leave and never tried. this coming off the back of the arbary shooting and the county law enforcement basically trying to cover the whole thing up.

lets see how this shakes out. its time to put the foot down on these guys.

The point of the U of M move is to use their pull to put pressure on the police/mayor/DA to do the right thing and prosecute the murderer & his accomplices...for murder. Without the video and pressure like this, how many cops go free when they do things like this?

I was a police officer for 26 years. I still work in law enforcement where I speak with law enforcement officials in all levels. I have not spoken with one that is not sickened by the actions of the officers in Minn. In NJ we are taught that once the offender is in cuffs and no longer a threat to himself, the public and the officers to immediately sit him/her up and then to place the suspect into the police car. That was not done here. The suspect was no longer a threat to anyone. The one officer continued to kneel on his neck while the other officers did nothing to stop it. All four officers have been fired and all four should and will be charged criminally. The university took the cowardly way out here and painted the entire MPD with a broad brush. Thankfully I never allowed any of my guys/girls to judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. As for the rioting, I will never understand how burning down your own neighborhood will do good for anyone.

For your last line, the idea of justice not being served angers people. Whether it's taking justice into your own hands or protesting, people are pissed whenever it feels like justice isn't being served. It applies to both circumstances and almost every circumstance where someone feels wronged and justice isn't served.

You can focus on the looters in this whole situation if you'd like. Whether it's in celebration, local team wins championship, or in protest, looting is a crime, period.

What's so troubling about this is that 4 cops were involved, 1 of them had his knee on the guys neck, the other's let guy just get choked out. Am I to believe that 100% of this group of 4 cops are all bad apples or just to cowardly to save a life? How about the police as a whole saying it was a medical incident? Could you imagine how out of your mind it would make you if your loved one was murdered on camera and the men were free having chicken pot pies in their dining rooms with their family's? I'm pretty sure I would do some crazy shit. And for many other's they may have not known this man but it's hard not to feel that next time it could be their loved one. Fearful, helpless, angry.

All duly noted but if you react to a crime (even one as horrific as this one) by committing a crime, you won't/may not be taken seriously.

If having a private security firm on campus and at events instead of MPD makes the student population (especially the minority student population) feel safer, then I don't really see the problem. Does Seton Hall have uniform police on hand at events at the Rock, or is it all outsourced security?

Reactions: Pirate6711
If having a private security firm on campus and at events instead of MPD makes the student population (especially the minority student population) feel safer, then I don't really see the problem. Does Seton Hall have uniform police on hand at events at the Rock, or is it all outsourced security?
So you don’t see a problem with judging an entire police department by the actions of a few? How about invite the police chief/commissioner to campus and have a conversation that can learn to progress?

Lots of uniformed Newark cops outside the arena.

Should I overturn a few cars and set a few fires next time I go past them on the way to the entrance because all cops obviously suck?

Campus police serve an important role but they don't have absolute authority (can't prosecute a crime in the court of law without police and town/county legal systems) and many times need support/partnership from the local police. Cutting off ties does not do anything to improve race relations or this situation in my opinion. The police have their hands full right now and will probably welcome not having to do anything on campus for a while as they deal with many other issues going on as a result of this. And this puts no additional pressure on the city to do anything more. They have their hands full already and have fired the officers and are prosecuting them. What other pressure will cause them to do anything more with all the national media attention etc? Not seeing it other than a feel good move by the University. Have a march on campus, start a dialogue that may be most beneficial to the students so that when they graduate to all kinds of professions which will include law enforcement, they can make a difference.

Reactions: papacheesy2
I was a police officer for 26 years. I still work in law enforcement where I speak with law enforcement officials in all levels. I have not spoken with one that is not sickened by the actions of the officers in Minn. In NJ we are taught that once the offender is in cuffs and no longer a threat to himself, the public and the officers to immediately sit him/her up and then to place the suspect into the police car. That was not done here. The suspect was no longer a threat to anyone. The one officer continued to kneel on his neck while the other officers did nothing to stop it. All four officers have been fired and all four should and will be charged criminally. The university took the cowardly way out here and painted the entire MPD with a broad brush. Thankfully I never allowed any of my guys/girls to judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. As for the rioting, I will never understand how burning down your own neighborhood will do good for anyone.
Also how he was detaining the cuffed victim here is not a tactic that is taught in any form or fashion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT