ADVERTISEMENT

University of Minnesota to limit ties with Minneapolis police after George Floyd's death

If having a private security firm on campus and at events instead of MPD makes the student population (especially the minority student population) feel safer, then I don't really see the problem. Does Seton Hall have uniform police on hand at events at the Rock, or is it all outsourced security?
The irony is, who do you think works for private security firms? Mostly ex-cops or retired cops. Justice needs to be served with these guys, but the University completely overreacted

The irony is, who do you think works for private security firms? Mostly ex-cops or retired cops. Justice needs to be served with these guys, but the University completely overreacted
That’s not true. Very few security guards are ex cops or retired cops. These security jobs are very low paying jobs. They are filled by people just taking a job until they find the job they are actually interested in, People looking to become cops, or people who couldn’t become cops. Retired cops that go into private security usually do so in a management position.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
That’s not true. Very few security guards are ex cops or retired cops. These security jobs are very low paying jobs. They are filled by people just taking a job until they find the job they are actually interested in, People looking to become cops, or people who couldn’t become cops. Retired cops that go into private security usually do so in a management position.
Ok thanks. I know a few who have but maybe not as widespread.

I wonder if I killed a cop by pressing my knee on his neck for 5 minutes, someone filmed me doing it, and the whole time before he died he was meekly saying “I can’t breathe”, do you think it would take the prosecutor over 3 days to charge me? Or to at least arrest me?

I sure do wonder.

Last edited:
I wonder if I killed a cop by pressing my knee on his neck for 5 minutes, someone filmed me doing it, and the whole time before he died he was meekly saying “I can’t breathe”, do you think it would take the prosecutor over 4 days to charge me?

I sure do wonder.

I spent 21 years working in federal law enforcement and had two cases that attracted front page national media attention that was followed by the general public closely. The way to proceed in a case that is high profile that will be followed nationally and subject to a lot of second guessing is not about getting it done quickly , it’s about getting it done correctly, crossing every T, doting every I , following all the rules, not taking any shortcuts and getting your facts and evidence in order so that you sustain your charges and prevail at trial and not blow the case on a technicality.

I wonder if I killed a cop by pressing my knee on his neck for 5 minutes, someone filmed me doing it, and the whole time before he died he was meekly saying “I can’t breathe”, do you think it would take the prosecutor over 3 days to charge me? Or to at least arrest me?

I sure do wonder.

For likely the first time ever I'm in 100% agreement with you. I have a bad feeling based on comments I read from the DA. In a statement he claimed that there is some potential exculpatory evidence. They free that guy and that city will burn to the ground. You think Rodney King was bad this will be a nightmare.

I spent 21 years working in federal law enforcement and had two cases that attracted front page national media attention that was followed by the general public closely. The way to proceed in a case that is high profile that will be followed nationally and subject to a lot of second guessing is not about getting it done quickly , it’s about getting it done correctly, crossing every T, doting every I , following all the rules, not taking any shortcuts and getting your facts and evidence in order so that you sustain your charges and prevail at trial and not blow the case on a technicality.

So, again, if I killed a cop with my knee on his neck, and someone filmed the entire thing up to & past when the officer died bc of me, I would be afforded this same leeway & discretion to be free for over 3 days that this murderous piece of shit has been (with a past history of excessive violence mind you)? You don’t think they would have at least arrested & held me while all this supposed meticulous work needs to be done on the charges?

Right, that’s what I thought.

Charge them all with murder, and I guarantee you will not get guilty to stick. Manslaughter is the way to go, if you want to win. so if they overcharge and they get off, then the low iq folks out there will not understand why they got off.
For likely the first time ever I'm in 100% agreement with you. I have a bad feeling based on comments I read from the DA. In a statement he claimed that there is some potential exculpatory evidence. They free that guy and that city will burn to the ground. You think Rodney King was bad this will be a nightmare.

Charge them all with murder, and I guarantee you will not get guilty to stick. Manslaughter is the way to go, if you want to win. so if they overcharge and they get off, then the low iq folks out there will not understand why they got off.
I rescind my post. I was relying in a newspaper article to be accurate... first mistake. The article cut out an entire sentence which explained if there were exculpatory evidence it will be on an update website giving full transparency. These guys can't walk. Maybe manslaughter fire the inaction of the 3 but the main guy has to get murder. That was an outright public execution.

Incredibly stupid for the U of Minn to do something this, you reap what you sow. The police are overwhelmingly a positive force spoiled by a few bad apples which are present in all professions.

And destroying your city over this shows a real lack of intelligence.
Saw an article earlier today that the student body president at Minnesota wrote a letter to the university president asking that this be done. Crazy that they actually cut them out. Sort of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPK145
What I watched on the video was absolutely stomach turning. I was hoping as some point SOMEONE would have made him stop. I can't understand how those cops really felt like the videos didn't matter and continued. Unless these cops really just didn't care about the repercussions??
Those cops all had guns, the innocent bystanders only had their camera phones. The cops were already killing one guy, they probably didn’t want to be next. I am surprised that no one seemed to call the police or anyone else that could possibly come to their aid. Can’t imagine what they were thinking or how helpless they must have felt and not being able to do anything.

Reactions: flconticello

I sure do wonder.

Not to argue, but it’s strange this is happening in Minnesota. That aren’t many places more liberal than that state. It’s not a state in the Deep South, or Southwest, or Texas. It’s Minnesota.

If having a private security firm on campus and at events instead of MPD makes the student population (especially the minority student population) feel safer, then I don't really see the problem. Does Seton Hall have uniform police on hand at events at the Rock, or is it all outsourced security?
I’ve only seen the regular Newark cops at games at the Rock.

Not to argue, but it’s strange this is happening in Minnesota. That aren’t many places more liberal than that state. It’s not a state in the Deep South, or Southwest, or Texas. It’s Minnesota.
Did the Wiki check and it’s more dangerous than I recollect. Multiple police issues, most rapes of any major city in US, and ranks 10th most dangerous of major cities.

Those cops all had guns, the innocent bystanders only had their camera phones. The cops were already killing one guy, they probably didn’t want to be next. I am surprised that no one seemed to call the police or anyone else that could possibly come to their aid. Can’t imagine what they were thinking or how helpless they must have felt and not being able to do anything.

"camera phones" lol

yeah I'm petty.

Again, not arguing. But Minnesota seems a lot less likely for something like this to happen than other places in the country. Just goes to prove that stuff can happen anywhere. And I’m sure there are plenty of liberal cops out there, just like the overwhelming majority of cops would never do something like that guy did.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Again, not arguing. But Minnesota seems a lot less likely for something like this to happen than other places in the country. Just goes to prove that stuff can happen anywhere. And I’m sure there are plenty of liberal cops out there, just like the overwhelming majority of cops would never do something like that guy did.

Our entire approach to policing in this country is disgusting, and I don't trust the entire apparatus as a whole. But of course there is some truth to the bad apple argument, in terms of most cops would never do this. The problem is the culture that allows people like this to be cops, and cause things like this to happen. And that culture exists in almost every police force in the country, and only recently have real attempts at change juuuuust started to occur. Not fast enough.

Reactions: TomD82
I haven't read anything about it but I assume there was no body cam footage?

That will be standard issue for all eventually.
The videos they’ve shown so far have been by bystanders and a restaurant surveillance camera. Cops body cams would give audio too so that would really be interesting.

Being a police officer is a tough job. A tough job which, let’s face it, doesn’t attract the quickest thinking set of humans.

When I look at that footage I don’t see murder. I see a bunch of cops who aren’t aware that what they’re doing is killing the guy. I’d put it in the manslaughter category. But boy what a tragedy. It just didn’t need to happen and shouldn’t have happened. Certainly there has to be accountability.
Terrible stuff. The one cop’s actions were unnecessary

Did the guy resist off video?

How long did it take for other cops to arrive?

Strange how the man was screaming and seemingly a second later dead

Maybe I haven’t seen all of the videos so sorry if I’m misinformed

prayers to all impacted by this and aftermath, the deceased and his family

Terrible news

Reactions: SHUMA04

Terrible news

The cop was kneeling with one knee on the victim's neck muscle for 7 or 8 minutes, until he expired.

So, again, if I killed a cop with my knee on his neck, and someone filmed the entire thing up to & past when the officer died bc of me, I would be afforded this same leeway & discretion to be free for over 3 days that this murderous piece of shit has been (with a past history of excessive violence mind you)? You don’t think they would have at least arrested & held me while all this supposed meticulous work needs to be done on the charges?

Right, that’s what I thought.
I think many of us get and agree with your point

But killing a cop and getting killed by s cop who is supposedly doing his job are different things.

I agree that they must have felt helpless but based on what I saw, if present I would have risked at least arrest if it could have saved his life.

I agree that they must have felt helpless but based on what I saw, if present I would have risked at least arrest if it could have saved his life.
I was sort of surprised that no one did but I’m sure fear played into that as well as not wanting to become a victim themselves. Sad.

Reactions: flconticello

Terrible news

Check out this link, it explains all of the videos and has some of them in the article. https://themindunleashed.com/2020/0...-arrest-before-he-was-murdered-by-police.html

I know as with any online site that there are lots of people on all sides of this, some of whom I’m glad are justifiably heartbroken or angered by this and others who I just can’t understand.

Police officers, theoretically, are there to enforce the law. If you have 1 cop who kills a man and 3 cops who watch and don’t stop it, you have 4 bad cops. If you have 4 cops who are complicit in killing a man, and 10,000 cops who do not immediately denounce those 4, ostracize those 4, and demand that those 4 be arrested and brought to justice if not going out and arresting them personally, then you have 10,004 bad cops. Far too often officers simply close ranks and protect their brothers who choose to murder or abuse their power, and in injustice, silence is complicity. A few bad apples DO spoil the bunch. That’s why you throw them out at the first sign of rot, you don’t cover them up.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200528-7nypgysmwnebjhb2xep45lhqrq-story.html

Twins star Max Kepler posts controversial selfie hours after Minneapolis erupts in protests against police brutality

By BRADFORD WILLIAM DAVIS
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |

While demonstrations for George Floyd — an unarmed black man killed on Monday by Minneapolis police officers — were answered with tear gas and rubber bullets, Twins star Max Kepler was at peace (Or, ✌️.).

The veteran Twins outfielder posted a selfie wearing a “Blue Lives Matter” flag face mask — the flag is a black-and-white American flag with one singular blue stripe in the middle and represents the 2014 countermovement to the anti-police violence Black Lives Matter organization.

Kepler quickly deleted the picture from his Instagram after getting slammed for his apparent response to Floyd’s death, following it up by declaring his ignorance.

“✌️ [peace emoji] wasn’t aware what the mask supported. still not into politics,” Kepler wrote in his Instagram stories, along with a photo of a serene, wide-open field, with his dog (likely playing catch). He deleted that post, too.

The German-born star attended the John F. Kennedy School in Berlin before being signing with the Twins in 2009 and making his stateside debut the following year.

Kepler, however, maintained that he was unaware of the symbol’s meaning in a separate conversation.

“Didn’t know what that blue line stood for,” Kepler said in defense of wearing the mask. “Police is green in Germany,” Kepler said to the disappointed fan.

Kepler would eventually post a more formal apology statement, saying he took responsibility for his actions while maintaining he did not understand what the mask signified before posting the pic.

“Earlier, I posted a photo of me in a mask that was sent to me by a company, to wear during the pandemic. I had no idea that the mask had any underlying inferences — I simply thought it looked good. After I was informed, I immediately took down the post,” Kepler wrote.

“I take complete responsibility for not knowing what I was wearing. I am truly sorry for the hurt and pain my actions have caused, especially now. Racism has no place in our world and I do not in any way support the actions that we all witnessed that led to George Floyd’s passing. My sympathies are with the Floyd family.”

A Twins representative did not directly address the Daily News’ questions about Kepler’s actions but replied with the following statement:

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic and senseless death of George Floyd on Monday night in Minneapolis. The Minnesota Twins send our deepest sympathies to the Floyd family, and join with our Twin Cities community in mourning.

"We will continue working with our community partners to move forward with courage, free of hate and thoughtful in our path, to create the change we want to see in the world — one, all-inclusive Twins Territory, where everyone is protected, safe and welcome.”

Our entire approach to policing in this country is disgusting, and I don't trust the entire apparatus as a whole. But of course there is some truth to the bad apple argument, in terms of most cops would never do this. The problem is the culture that allows people like this to be cops, and cause things like this to happen. And that culture exists in almost every police force in the country, and only recently have real attempts at change juuuuust started to occur. Not fast enough.

The militarization of the police. Just go to a St. Patrick's Day parade and wait for the sheriffs department to show off the cool tanks and humvees they just got from the US Military-Industrial Complex.

You never see cops on foot patrols anymore. They rarely know people in the neighborhood or the children. Cops are really not used to protect and serve anymore they are used to arrest and ticket the population and generate money for the towns/cities they work for.

Nevermind the "everyone is a threat" / "us vs them" training that rookie cops are given. Of course this training leads most cops to view everyone as a threat to them. Making most cops 1) not a friendly face to those in the community they work or 2) a threat to the citizens of the community.

Also in many urban areas, the police were not born in the areas and do not live in those places. This leads to a different mindset of those cops all together. They go to work as almost an occupying force.

I've seen cops walking into my local coffee shop in white-bred-suburbia-US with bullet proof vests fastened and hand on gun. Like WTF.

Very interesting article from the DOJ supporting most of what I'm saying above (Militarization, us vs them, lack of community policing).

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatc...ion_of_our_police_doom_community_policing.asp

Last edited:
I know a lot of police officers and they are my friends. They are all very upset over this and have said their training never allowed an officer to put their body weight on someone's neck while arresting them. Every one has said once you make an arrest and get them cuffed, you move them to their side or sit them up. Here is a terrific post on Facebook that one of my police officer friends shared and hopefully this gives some hope. He is a veteran law enforcement officer. His one line that we should all remember is that "no one hates bad cops more than good cops."

Here is his post:

As a 30-year veteran of law enforcement and leader for more than 20 years, I am absolutely sickened by the death George Floyd in Minneapolis. Over the course of my career, I have worked in three departments in two states. I rose through the ranks, worked in virtually every law enforcement assignment, and have been involved in hundreds of arrests. I love this job as much as I did when began my career in 1990. I am grateful that I was led by exemplary law enforcement leaders and have worked with the best police officers anywhere.

I watched the Minneapolis arrest videos and can assure you that I have never been trained, nor trained anyone under my command to kneel on someone’s neck. Nor was I ever trained to remain on top of an already handcuffed suspect. Positional asphyxia is a real danger and contrary to all contemporary use of force policies. This incident screams of a fundamental breakdown in training and supervision.

Law enforcement officers are trained to treat all individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, or ethnicity background with dignity and respect. At the end of the day, everyone you encounter is someone’s family member. This is the bedrock principle behind procedural justice and a police officer’s legitimacy. As a cop you can never lose sight of that.

I do not know what the officers were thinking or not thinking as the case may be. One thing I do know is that this should not have happened. This death was absolutely preventable. Every cop that I have spoken with is as disgusted as I am. No one hates bad cops more than good cops.

I am confident that criminal charges will be forthcoming and should be. Nevertheless, a prosecutor’s job is to ensure that justice is served and that when someone is charged, they will be ultimately be convicted by proof beyond a reasonable doubt. They want to get this right and will not rush to charge. Therefore, the prosecuting entity will be deliberative and will want to make sure that all angles are covered. My fellow attorney colleagues will tell you same thing.

As police leaders, it is incumbent on us to build relationships and trust with the communities we serve. Moreover, we must ensure that we thoroughly vet our future police officers and hold them strictly accountable if they betray their oath of office. The people we serve deserve nothing less.

To the family and friends of George Floyd, I am sorry. He did not deserve to die. I pray for George, his family, and the Minneapolis Police Department. The overwhelming majority of cops are good people who genuinely want to protect and serve. I am sure this is the case in Minneapolis and elsewhere. I am proud of all the good police officers that I worked with over the years. The bad ones were eventually weeded out. We must be mindful of what a privilege it is to wear the badge and what is means to protect and serve.

As Martin Luther King once said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” As a profession, we must do better. May God Bless all!

The militarization of the police. Just go to a St. Patrick's Day parade and wait for the sheriffs department to show off the cool tanks and humvees they just got from the US Military-Industrial Complex.

You never see cops on foot patrols anymore. They rarely know people in the neighborhood or the children. Cops are really not used to protect and serve anymore they are used to arrest and ticket the population and generate money for the towns/cities they work for.

Nevermind the "everyone is a threat" / "us vs them" training that rookie cops are given. Of course this training leads most cops to view everyone as a threat to them. Making most cops 1) not a friendly face to those in the community they work or 2) a threat to the citizens of the community.

Also in many urban areas, the police were not born in the areas and do not live in those places. This leads to a different mindset of those cops all together. They go to work as almost an occupying force.

I've seen cops walking into my local coffee shop in white-bred-suburbia-US with bullet proof vests fastened and hand on gun. Like WTF.

Very interesting article from the DOJ supporting most of what I'm saying above (Militarization, us vs them, lack of community policing).

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatc...ion_of_our_police_doom_community_policing.asp
A good example of government run amok. Who is approving all of these bright shiny toys for the police to buy and keep? First place I would look is to the leadership of the police department town council and mayor.

A few years ago there was an article about city of Newark buying two military helicopters to help patrol the city. Unfortunately they forgot to add the cost of maintaining 24/7 pilots and maintenance of the craft. Whoops. Somebody is signing off on this stuff and it’s not just the chief of police.

What the mayor has allowed to take place in Minneapolis the last few nights is a disgrace. These fools stormed a police station and torched it last night. Acting like assholes is not the way to get the average American to support your cause. Who the heck torches their own neighborhoods? Then they complain when no shops, stores, resteraunts, etc are in the neighborhood. It doesn't take money to not act like a jackass. Now, also wondering when rogue cops will be brought up on charges.

A good example of government run amok. Who is approving all of these bright shiny twice for the police to buy and keep? First place I would look is to the leader lship of the police department town council and mayor.

A few years ago there was an article about city of Newark buying two military helicopters to help patrol the city. Unfortunately they forgot to add the cost of maintaining 24/7 pilots and maintenance of the craft. Whoops. Somebody is signing off on this stuff and it’s not just the chief of police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program

The US Government is incentivizing it. Sure someone at the county or state level has to "sign off". But the US government doesn't have to have the program at all.

Current iteration of the program was created by Bush Sr. during the biggest scam ever - the "war on drugs" (aka the war on minorities).

Obama tried to limit the program with an EO. And of course, Trump rolled back Obama's limits. Because to Trump - and many who voted for him/create excuses for him - everything that Obama did must be undone.

All to help the Military-Industrial Complex. The MIC is producing so much for war that the US government doesn't need it all. So they create a program to give the war supplies to state and local police forces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo

Agree generally. This is part of the militarization of America and the police state we are moving towards. Look no further than the reaction to the virus. Soon we'll have tracking and government contract tracers (backed by police) at our doorsteps.

I knew eventually this story on ESPN's sport site would become politicized, but I wanted open discussion for as long as possible before I transferred it to the Off the Ship board, which I will be doing in about 1/2 hour.

Please continue your conversations there.

BTW, I was forced to delete some content here that had name calling and harsh political comments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT