ADVERTISEMENT

University of Minnesota to limit ties with Minneapolis police after George Floyd's death

Our entire approach to policing in this country is disgusting, and I don't trust the entire apparatus as a whole. But of course there is some truth to the bad apple argument, in terms of most cops would never do this. The problem is the culture that allows people like this to be cops, and cause things like this to happen. And that culture exists in almost every police force in the country, and only recently have real attempts at change juuuuust started to occur. Not fast enough.
A big part of the problem is that hiring standards have been lowered to make the departments more diverse. What actually happens is less qualified white males that would normally be skipped over get the job.

Reactions: shu09
This was not a good night in Minneapolis last night. You have to feel for the good, honest cops left behind in this precinct that have to deal with the actions of their brothers in blue. Those cops who caused this should have been off the force long ago.

For the businesses that were destroyed I would just walk away an not even consider reopening in that area. It’s not worth it. There are enough people out of work as it is and these thugs destroyed the places that were keeping the area going and cost their neighbors hundreds of jobs.

https://twitter.com/markdice/status/1266217438846173184?s=21

A big part of the problem is that hiring standards have been lowered to make the departments more diverse. What actually happens is less qualified white males that would normally be skipped over get the job.

riiiiiiiiight. You feel better now that you got that in?

Let’s assume your bigoted statement is true. My response would be raise the standards back up, and hire far less cops because there’s too many of you in urban areas to begin with.

Paraphrasing from an acquaintance of mine: “You can’t push communities to the brink & expect people to just protest with clever puns. This is the result of years of people not giving a f#$&. Mass incarceration/police brutality/private prisons/prison labor. This is a rotten f#$&ing system. And it deserves to get torched.”

riiiiiiiiight. You feel better now that you got that in?

Let’s assume your bigoted statement is true. My response would be raise the standards back up, and hire far less cops because there’s too many of you in urban areas to begin with.

LOL.

We needed to lower standards so that minorities could get hired. (Implying they couldn't get hired with higher standards... Which is then implying something about one group being smarter than another group. Hmm.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program

The US Government is incentivizing it. Sure someone at the county or state level has to "sign off". But the US government doesn't have to have the program at all.

Current iteration of the program was created by Bush Sr. during the biggest scam ever - the "war on drugs" (aka the war on minorities).

Obama tried to limit the program with an EO. And of course, Trump rolled back Obama's limits. Because to Trump - and many who voted for him/create excuses for him - everything that Obama did must be undone.

All to help the Military-Industrial Complex. The MIC is producing so much for war that the US government doesn't need it all. So they create a program to give the war supplies to state and local police forces.
Just to clarify....Government run amok means government at all levels. Good point in calling out the federal government as well but this is right down to the local level. Just because they provide an incentive, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Reactions: Section112
Just to clarify....Government run amok means government at all levels. Good point in calling out the federal government as well but this is right down to the local level. Just because they provide an incentive, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Agreed. Although I think most of the stuff is technically "donated" by the Fed to the State/Local. But generally speaking, I agree with your point.

Reactions: metalpirate07
This was not a good night in Minneapolis last night. You have to feel for the good, honest cops left behind in this precinct that have to deal with the actions of their brothers in blue. Those cops who caused this should have been off the force long ago.

For the businesses that were destroyed I would just walk away an not even consider reopening in that area. It’s not worth it. There are enough people out of work as it is and these thugs destroyed the places that were keeping the area going and cost their neighbors hundreds of jobs.
https://twitter.com/markdice/status/1266217438846173184?s=21

It looks to me like white Antifa anarchists are torching things in Mineapolis.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
LOL.

We needed to lower standards so that minorities could get hired. (Implying they couldn't get hired with higher standards... Which is then implying something about one group being smarter than another group. Hmm.)
I think these policies are racist and demeaning. Unfortunately they are out there. They are called affirmative action. Another part of this is where departments have two different promotional lists. One for minorities and one for non minorities. Again, I did not creat this and do not agree with it.

How come these protestors are called "thugs" but the WASPs in Charlotteville who murdered someone were called "good people" by Trump?

Is Trump a racist or trying to actively rally racists?

Last edited:
How come these protestors are called "thugs" but the WASPs in Charlotteville who murdered someone were called "good people" by Trump?

Is Trump a racist or trying to actively rally racists?

You are misrepresenting what Trump said and repeating an old lie. He had said people on both sides of the confederate statue controversy were good. He never lauded the murderers in Charlotte. Be wary of fake news.

You are misrepresenting what Trump said and repeating an old lie. He had said people on both sides of the confederate statue controversy were good. He never lauded the murderers in Charlotte. Be wary of fake news.

The tweet seems to have vanished... I cannot find it... The protestors in Charlottesville were White Supremacists and he used the phrase "very fine people" in reaction to the chaos in Charlottesville.

Why did he use the term "thugs" when talking about the chaos in Minnesota? Wonder why he didn't use the phrase "very fine people".

The tweet seems to have vanished... I cannot find it... The protestors in Charlottesville were White Supremacists and he used the phrase "very fine people" in reaction to the chaos in Charlottesville.

Why did he use the term "thugs" when talking about the chaos in Minnesota? Wonder why he didn't use the phrase "very fine people".

Is looting, rioting and torching buildings not thuggish behavior? Doesn't matter what race they are, any person engaging in that behavior should be prosecuted to the fullest extent whether they're white, black, brown, etc.

Is looting, rioting and torching buildings not thuggish behavior? Doesn't matter what race they are, any person engaging in that behavior should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Is running people over with a car and marching through streets with torches thuggish behavior?

Except Trump only called one of those situations thuggish. Wonder why that is? Many people say that Trump chooses his words in his tweets very carefully.

But glad to know you think the WASPs in Charlottesville were/are thugs.

Paraphrasing from an acquaintance of mine: “You can’t push communities to the brink & expect people to just protest with clever puns. This is the result of years of people not giving a f#$&. Mass incarceration/police brutality/private prisons/prison labor. This is a rotten f#$&ing system. And it deserves to get torched.”

What is the solution for punishing crimes? Are we now just allowing crimes? People are incarcerated who commit crimes. How come you and I have no problem staying out of jail and prison? It's not that hard to be a decent citizen.

Reactions: shu09
That is such a horsesh*t statement.
For too long the rich affluent influential older white man cared about himself and his own kind vs betterment of society. So as an impulse correction to this we have seen hiring practices over correct balance the equation in more recent times.

Except Trump only called one of those situations thuggish.

But glad to know you think the WASPs in Charlottesville were thugs.

What does that have to do with the issue at hand? I couldn't care less what the president's views are. I am advocating for law and order to return to Minneapolis. What that means is arresting the officer who murdered the victim and ending the riots by arresting those engaged in illegal activity.

What does that have to do with the issue at hand? I couldn't care less what the president's views are. I am advocating for law and order to return to Minneapolis. What that means is arresting the officer who murdered the victim and ending the riots by arresting those engaged in illegal activity.

But but they're just burning and looting because of racism. It's never the people burning and looting fault for acting like an idiot.

Well you responded to my post which was about Trump calling one group "thugs" and one group "very fine people".

But but they're just burning and looting because of racism. It's never the people burning and looting fault for acting like an idiot.

What was your opinion on Kaepernick's (or the NBA players) peaceful protests in regards to police murdering unarmed black men during the National Anthem?

Many people on this board were absolutely brutal to Kaepernick calling him entitled and spoiled and saying that athletes should just shut up and play sports. Hope you weren't one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRSlim2284
I knew eventually this story on ESPN's sport site would become politicized, but I wanted open discussion for as long as possible before I transferred it to the Off the Ship board, which I will be doing in about 1/2 hour.

Please continue your conversations there.

BTW, I was forced to delete some content here that had name calling and harsh political comments.

Called it as soon as I saw this thread yesterday. I was just a few hours too early with my time guess lol.

Reactions: shupat08
Well you responded to my post which was about Trump calling one group "thugs" and one group "very fine people".

Catholicman explained the prior situation well. The behavior exhibited by the murderer in Charlottesville a few years back, the officer in Minneapolis and the protesters can all be described as thuggish.

Catholicman explained the prior situation well. The behavior exhibited by the murderer in Charlottesville a few years back, the officer in Minneapolis and the protesters can all be described as thuggish.

Too bad the leader of the Republican party doesn't agree with you in this matter.

Too bad the leader of the Republican party doesn't agree with you in this matter.

What does that have to do with anything we're talking about? I'm giving you MY opinions.

This is the problem in America today. People like you (and many in the media) try to politicize everything and pit people against each other on the basis of race/class/income, what have you, instead of coming together.

What does that have to do with anything we're talking about? I'm giving you MY opinions.

This is the problem in America today. People like you (and many in the media) try to politicize everything and pit people against each other instead of coming together.

Yes. I politicized this issue and am actively dividing people. Again, you responded to my posts regarding Donald Trump POLITICIZING this issue with his tweets. And then you admonish me for referring back to my original point that you responded to.

Yes, you have. As you do with many other topics.

Yes, you politicize nothing and are always right. I forgot, I apologize oh great one.

I am the problem with America as you said. So it must be true. Because you are always correct and never partisan.

Yes, you politicize nothing and are always right. I forgot, I apologize oh great one.

Nobody is always right and I try my best to not politicize things. I may have failed occasionally as I am human and not perfect. I wish you'd see it similarly when it comes to yourself, but arrogance and stubbornness has no bounds.

They tried peacefully kneeling during sports events and everybody lost their minds and didn't listen, and said that wasn't the way to do protest. Now this happens after happening thousands of times all over the country and people are saying they should protest peacefully. What the heck do people expect to happen when the same garbage keeps happening over and over again and nothing changes?

Agreed. Although I think most of the stuff is technically "donated" by the Fed to the State/Local. But generally speaking, I agree with your point.

John Oliver had a wonderful piece on his show a few years back on the military surplus equipment act that allows for this, and how much local/county/state law enforcement agencies have stocked up on fancy toys as a result. White suburbia Middletown, NJ has an MRAP vehicle from this. They were questioned on it and their justification was something to the extent of "We thought it would be cool to have one after Hurricane Sandy to drive through flooded streets, so we applied for the heck of it and we got one."

This is going to get worse. Way worse from all sides. Buckle your seatbelts, this is going to make Rodney King look like sparklers in a backyard on July 4.

Reactions: shupat08
Nobody is always right and I try my best to not politicize things. I may have failed occasionally as I am human and not perfect. I wish you'd see it similarly when it comes to yourself, but arrogance and stubbornness has no bounds.

Yup. You are very arrogant and stubborn.

They tried peacefully kneeling during sports events and everybody lost their minds and didn't listen, and said that wasn't the way to do protest. Now this happens after happening thousands of times all over the country and people are saying they should protest peacefully. What the heck do people expect to happen when the same garbage keeps happening over and over again and nothing changes?

John Oliver had a wonderful piece on his show a few years back on the military surplus equipment act that allows for this, and how much local/county/state law enforcement agencies have stocked up on fancy toys as a result. White suburbia Middletown, NJ has an MRAP vehicle from this. They were questioned on it and their justification was something to the extent of "We thought it would be cool to have one after Hurricane Sandy to drive through flooded streets, so we applied for the heck of it and we got one."

This is going to get worse. Way worse from all sides. Buckle your seatbelts, this is going to make Rodney King look like sparklers in a backyard on July 4.

They want the people protesting to "just shut up" and to "deal with it".

And police forces just really want to play Army.

Reactions: metalpirate07
Except Trump only called one of those situations thuggish. Wonder why that is? Many people say that Trump chooses his words in his tweets very carefully.

But glad to know you think the WASPs in Charlottesville were/are thugs.

Trump never lauded the murderous white supremacists in Charlotte. If you repeat a lie often enough, does it become the truth?

A good example of government run amok. Who is approving all of these bright shiny toys for the police to buy and keep? First place I would look is to the leadership of the police department town council and mayor.

A few years ago there was an article about city of Newark buying two military helicopters to help patrol the city. Unfortunately they forgot to add the cost of maintaining 24/7 pilots and maintenance of the craft. Whoops. Somebody is signing off on this stuff and it’s not just the chief of police.

Thats a horrible example to use.

The USA was drawing down their OH-58A fleet and the city got both helos for free. While the media makes the city seem incompetent with the cost to maintain the aircraft, the actual cost per flight hour wasn’t anything outrageous.

Thats a horrible example to use.

The USA was drawing down their OH-58A fleet and the city got both helos for free. While the media makes the city seem incompetent with the cost to maintain the aircraft, the actual cost per flight hour wasn’t anything outrageous.
The upshot of the story was that the helos were sitting in a hanger unused. So I guess the cost per flight hour was cheap because it was zero use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT