ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Late Signing Period

Butina seems like a great offensive player and play-maker who played for an excellent team and had a very experienced coach

I was, however, kind of surprised because they already signed another JUCO PG that we discussed.

https://twitter.com/MJTripleThreat/status/845753128523849728
I thought they'd be focusing on a big because they were in serious need of rebounding last season.

26.7 MPG
8.8 PPG
47.5 FG %
42.7 3pt. %
84.4 FT%
6.3 Assists per game
2.2 Turnovers per game

Butina's #s according to Hutch CC website.

11.9 ppg
51.6 fg%
45.5 3pt%
87.5 ft%
7.3 apg
3.7 rpg

Kids from Europe always have good fundamentals and work ethic. Although sometimes the athletic ability is not as natural, they bust their butts to get better. Love 85% from the line.
Welcome!!!

Reactions: shupat08
Kids from Europe always have good fundamentals and work ethic. Although sometimes the athletic ability is not as natural, they bust their butts to get better. Love 85% from the line.
Welcome!!!
Agreed.

When the 17-18 season starts she will be 22-years-old. So she brings in experience and maturity.

As with any player of any age you never know how it will turn out. Attitude, hustle and competitive spirit are as important as experience and talent.

But with these two JUCOs, the Pirates seem to have a very strong group of guards- PG and 2G. Although it has kind of become a positionless game.

And none will be a freshman.

No. See the Trove tomorrow.

Also, don't forget we have an interview with Tony set up for next week where he will talk in depth about the new players and the future of the program.

No. See the Trove tomorrow.

Also, don't forget we have an interview with Tony set up for next week where he will talk in depth about the new players and the future of the program.
Wow. Not done. I hope it's a rebounding big.

While the new talent seems to be improving every season, this means that once again there will be many new faces eligible to play.

Taylor Brown
Inja Butina
Kimi Evans
Nicole Jimenez
Selena Philoxy
Tyeisha Smith

That's six. If they add another that will be seven new players and seven returning players. Yes, I realize that Brown and Smith sat out last season. Did they both practice with the team?

At least there will a lot of competition for minutes.

Reactions: buzzershot

While the new talent seems to be improving every season, this means that once again there will be many new faces eligible to play.

Taylor Brown
Inja Butina
Kimi Evans
Nicole Jimenez
Selena Philoxy
Tyeisha Smith

That's six. If they add another that will be seven new players and seven returning players. Yes, I realize that Brown and Smith sat out last season. Did they both practice with the team?

Yes both practiced with the team. And both could be starters this year.

Taylor Brown
Inja Butina
Kimi Evans
Nicole Jimenez
Selena Philoxy
Tyeisha Smith

400-
Smith and Brown could/would have started this year.

Taylor Brown
Inja Butina
Kimi Evans
Nicole Jimenez
Selena Philoxy
Tyeisha Smith

400- Remember only 2 are freshmen.

Reactions: Harty9
400-
Smith and Brown could/would have started this year.
I read that from Halldan1 a few months ago.

I'm sure they're great and will get a lot of minutes, but I can't see anybody beating out Hilaire at starting PG. She's just too good.

It's a very good "problem" to have.

I'm sure they're great and will get a lot of minutes, but I can't see anybody beating out Hilaire at starting PG. She's just too good.

400-
You are right, Hilaire will be the starting point. I think Brown is a forward and Smith is a 5'8 guard.

Last edited:
I believe Brown can play 3, 4 even 5 if needed.

And Smith is a SG/WG.

400-
You are right, Hilaire will be the starting point. I think Brown is a forward and Smith is a 5'8 guard.

Pat - Thanks....pieces....pieces....pieces....interchangeable pieces.
I believe Brown can play 3, 4 even 5 if needed.

And Smith is a SG/WG.
I knew Brown is a forward.

But I think you're incorrect about Smith who is a 5-8 guard. I wasn't clear who I was referring to her.

http://shupirates.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=454

What's great about being deep is that starters don't get worn out playing 35-plus MPG. And there will always be injuries.

There appears to be at least one legit Big East caliber player for each starter who can come off the bench without a major drop-off in talent.

Smith and Brown would have started this year. Short of injury they will start next season and probably will be the two best players on the team.

One of the things I really like about Tony and his staff is that they use all three pools of talent to recruit, HS, JUCO and transfer. Unlike the men's side I don't think the foreign player pool is very deep although one of our new JUCO recruits Inja Butina is from Croatia .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT