ADVERTISEMENT

We Deserve What We Get

He can come back if he wants. If he doesn't, so be it. He won't be pushed out, nor should he be. Like I said, ready to move on.

Move on to what? You think we're replacing him with a better player? If not, then it's a net negative for the program.

Reactions: garyshu71
Don’t shoot the messenger, but I would not rule out Richmond and Cliff Omoruyi, especially the latter, taking a trip over the GWB next year to play college (if that is what it is called these days) ball.

Fordham alumni network stepping up the NIL game?
If Richmond wants to have a lengthy professional career somewhere, the only way for him to develop those skills is on the professional level. He’s 22. We know what he does really well against college players and if he returns he will keep doing that because it wins games, instead of perhaps working on the stuff he needs to improve with and against other pros.

If Richmond wants to have a lengthy professional career somewhere, the only way for him to develop those skills is on the professional level. He’s 22. We know what he does really well against college players and if he returns he will keep doing that because it wins games, instead of perhaps working on the stuff he needs to improve with and against other pros.
And what stuff are you thinking he needs to improve that requires being with pros? The things I see him needing to work on are not going to be hindered by staying in college.

No one here knows. No one knows what folks had available this spring/summer. No one knows what teams have available now. And Uconn isn’t mentioned on your list, to my point, and I would venture they have more than anyone if I was wagering on it.
Yikes, how can I forget UCONN! Brain freeze.

And what stuff are you thinking he needs to improve that requires being with pros? The things I see him needing to work on are not going to be hindered by staying in college.
Bigger point, at age 22, with his skill-set, I don't see how much he improves practicing against college kids/younger/less experienced/less athletic/smaller players. I think to elevate his game he needs to start playing against professionals/better players, bigger players, more athletic players, all the time, with the benefit of professional training, coaching and development.

His game now is in the paint or around it. He gets there all the time, and either finishes or distributes for someone else. He can use his combination of quickness and size to get past guys he's more athletic/quick than or play bully ball against smaller guards/forwards, and finishing against college level big men or even forwards who frankly he's as big as and who aren't as athletic as him.

He needs to work on his outside game and individual defense on every possession. More traditional PG play you see at the professional level. Not playing free safety, taking off defense because he's spent playing so many minutes or focusing more on getting steals help-side.

If I was Sha and KR came back, while we would certainly work on the outside part of his offensive game in practice, etc, during games I would have him play to his strengths and much like he did this year. Rather than working on stuff he might not be as good at but which he needs to improve on to have a longer professional career. Because Sha's goal is to win game, period.

$$$$$$ talks in this case . It’s possible . Can we outbid off shore pro teams?
What is best speculation as to what it will cost to bring him back? If I'm going to contribute, I'd like to know.
And does Kadary know what Dre got this year?

What Holloway did this year with virtually no NIL money compared to his peers was absolutely amazing. He brought in players without the benefit of paying them much if anything. In this day and age with other programs having as much as $3M a year you just cannot compete.

The players you speak of at this point and maybe more than just this point are not Big East quality. Not even close. That's on us and on the admins for not supporting NIL sooner.

Now we have Mike McBride. Unfortunately a year late. But the hope is with our help he'll turn around a very bad situation.
I agree, but everyone undervalued Dawes, Richmond and Davis, who stayed at least in part I would imagine, because of the two transfer rule that is no longer in existence. In some ways, this helped set up the overachievement narrative, but our startes can play with most teamsand win on some nights. Bediako was a revelation and great development.

We have no off the bench answers because we have no quality depth. Sha was not able to get contributions that were reliable from Sanders, Tubek, NgaNga, Brown and to some extent in terms of consistency, Coleman. This is why we had so many blow outs. When things went well with the starters as a unit, we can beat anyone. When they did not, we were not overly competitive because Sha had no options. A momentum stopping use of a time out would help as well.

Sha will have to work a ton of magic with hopefully more NIL funds. I don't think NIL is the only factor, but we need to be competitive.

Last edited:
Sha will have to work a ton of magic with hopefully more NIL funds. I don't think NIL is the only factor, but we need to be competitive.
Not sure I agree. Holloway was the no doubt about it runner up to Hurley with a minuscule fraction of NIL money.

What other factors do you question re Holloway?

Not sure I agree. Holloway was the no doubt about it runner up to Hurley with a minuscule fraction of NIL money.

What is our fraction of UCONN's NIL? An earlier poster (might have been you) opined that UCONN is above 3 mil.

The blowouts. For someone as passionate as him and as adamant that his teams show up and compete, we sure got blown out a lot. And if we hadn’t lost all those games by 20+ our NET would be much higher and we wouldn’t be talking about not making it in tomorrow.

We can lose games, but not every loss can be by 20+. Wasn’t a talent issue. Unacceptable going forward

Reactions: da0987

I question whether Sha could have retained Khadary if he was free to transfer last spring. It is an NIL issue somewhat, but Khadary was out of options last spring. Will not be the same with any players going forward.

I also think our starters, their level of experience was significantly underrated by the Coaches and our fans. We clearly overachieved, but not as much as we may think. When our starters performed, we won. When they didn't, it was often a blow out.

Sha needed to develop a bench. In our January run we were getting contributions from the bench. We abandoned that the last month with exception of EHE.

Also, I don't think us not showing up in BET I'd a particular good coaching job. We need to call timely time outs and figure out a solution. We cling to toughness and our defense was awful.

Sha also undervalued the NIL pot needed last spring. This is different than not having the dollars. The ask apparently was off by several times. We got caught unawares with Samuel's departure and my recollection is we did not believe the number Florida had offered was real.

I love Sha. He is our best answer as a coach and tailor made for us. I am just a bit sour about our performance in some big games and our failings were magnified on Thursday against a team we soundly beat twice.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Regardless of events on Sunday, I am very pleased with the season. Let's stop harping, though, on the point-of-view that we overachieved. That seems to accompany bad losses and sounds like an excuse. I think we were under rated from the start.

As for our lack of depth, that is disturbing. What happened there? Everyone wants to give much deserved kudos to the coaches for finding Bediako. Should there be serious questions for those who brought in the other guys who couldn't help?

Reactions: sussexcopirate
The blowouts. For someone as passionate as him and as adamant that his teams show up and compete, we sure got blown out a lot. And if we hadn’t lost all those games by 20+ our NET would be much higher and we wouldn’t be talking about not making it in tomorrow.

We can lose games, but not every loss can be by 20+. Wasn’t a talent issue. Unacceptable going forward
Are you really complaining about the job he did with 5 Big East players and little NIL money.

There was a reason the Big East coaches slotted the Pirates in the 9th spot. 5 spots lower than where they finished.

Guys, we can waste our time blaming a committee that doesn’t care……or we can look within.

Most sensible people knew at the beginning of the season that if we were in play for a spot, the committee was not going to bend over backwards to do us a favor. We knew this. So…..maybe don’t lose at home to rutgers. Maybe finish off superior teams when you have a chance to put them down(creighton). Maybe don’t crap out, yet again, in your first BET game - Sha really needs to address this one, two awful showings in the BET on his watch.

The team did it to themselves. Regardless of NIL shortcomings, those were three scenarios in which we failed to do what we were capable of. What we should have done. Forced the committee to have to think about our worth - which was never gonna work out for us - and unsurprisingly found out just how valued we are. We didn’t finish the job this season, and thus left ourselves at the mercy of a committee that never wanted us.

Guys, we can waste our time blaming a committee that doesn’t care……or we can look within.

Most sensible people knew at the beginning of the season that if we were in play for a spot, the committee was not going to bend over backwards to do us a favor. We knew this. So…..maybe don’t lose at home to rutgers. Maybe finish off superior teams when you have a chance to put them down(creighton). Maybe don’t crap out, yet again, in your first BET game - Sha really needs to address this one, two awful showings in the BET on his watch.

The team did it to themselves. Regardless of NIL shortcomings, those were three scenarios in which we failed to do what we were capable of. What we should have done. Forced the committee to have to think about our worth - which was never gonna work out for us - and unsurprisingly found out just how valued we are. We didn’t finish the job this season, and thus left ourselves at the mercy of a committee that never wanted us.

Rrspectfully, you dont know what in the hell youre talking about. It was a complete hose job. Welcome to the new world of college sports.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Are you really complaining about the job he did with 5 Big East players and little NIL money.

There was a reason the Big East coaches slotted the Pirates in the 9th spot. 5 spots lower than where they finished.
Coleman and EHE are not Big East players? Geez, Coleman was on the all-frosh team.

How much NIL money do/did we have? [I ask again.]

Border line at best this season. So no at this stage they were not quality Big East subs. But that said they were our first two options and that tells you how weak our bench was.

Regarding All Big East freshman....check out how many players made that squad and then check their stats.

Border line at best this season. So no at this stage they were not quality Big East subs. But that said they were our first two options and that tells you how weak our bench was.

Regarding All Big East freshman....check out how many players made that squad and then check their stats.
You are right there. It was Castle and then a different universe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT