ADVERTISEMENT

We Deserve What We Get

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
Had a chance to show the country and the committee something today, and we came out Charmin Soft. Got our lunch money taken, and just maybe a black eye. If we didn’t come out hot from three, this would have been yet another blowout road loss along the lines of Creighton and UConn.

Slick Rick had his team prepared and ready to play, Sha didn’t. We made fun of Pitino’s meltdown, but it obviously did something to his team. We had three ugly road losses in the last two weeks. The thirteen conference wins are very impressive, given what was expected of us, but those thirteen wins blind us to what this team is: wildly inconsistent and completely undependable on the road except at significantly inferior competition.

I know over 90% of us here said we were a lock. Well, now we get to test that, don‘t we? Now, we have to sit back and see what other teams do - which is exactly where we don’t want to be. Those numbers? They weren’t in favor of us. They said we were the weakest at large team in the tournament. Now we’ll see how it holds up when the committee puts us under the microscope.

I hope it all works out for us. I really do.

Stop over reacting. This team has over achieved the entire season. St. John's spent millions in NIL. Sha is operating with a fraction of the budget Pitino has. This has been a good season all things considered. We have limitations because of NIL. Hopefully the success of this team has motivated boosters and fans enough to give Sha a budget that he can really use to compete with.

What a gutless display!! You are right no complaints we get what we get!!

This may have been a must win but we treated it as if it wasnt. But we could not play our typical game against that kind of officiating. Nonetheless, we failed in some defensive fundamentals, like staying in front of your man.

Reactions: U-Hall
Stop over reacting. This team has over achieved the entire season. St. John's spent millions in NIL. Sha is operating with a fraction of the budget Pitino has. This has been a good season all things considered. We have limitations because of NIL. Hopefully the success of this team has motivated boosters and fans enough to give Sha a budget that he can really use to compete with.
We’re not talking about NIL, we’re talking about the incredibly poor game we just played today and the reality we now face with the field. We beat them twice anyway, so it’s no excuse. Of course I would have signed up for thirteen conference wins, especially after our OOC schedule. The victory over UConn gave us new life and we rode that wave for all it was worth. Great. I already said in the prior post that surpassed expectations, but that doesn’t change the fact we are not in a good position right now.

Pitino is one of the GOATs. Today was a masterclass plain and simple. In the last month he completely turned around a team that looked dead in the water.

That said, I’m shocked we gave up 91 points. This is a team we completely stifled in the first 2 matchups and they got whatever they wanted for 40 minutes.

I agree with Brad. Probably had a 1 or 2 team cushion from avoiding Dayton.

A close Quad 1 loss would have probably been ok with some help. Another significant blow out will drop the NET to the 68 range.

Now you can sit back and root for total carnage on the bubble and maybe we are lucky to be one of the last 4 byes.

But looking like a Tuesday/ Wednesday night game to play our way in.

If we don’t get a locked in performance from Kadary in every game going forward expect a disappointing double digit exit. He needs to play his A game. The effort today was not that.

The Dawes play mentioned above and the two awful TOs after we got to within 9/10. We were being outplayed but we were still in it at that point. Just not our day.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This may have been a must win but we treated it as if it wasnt. But we could not play our typical game against that kind of officiating. Nonetheless, we failed in some defensive fundamentals, like staying in front of your man.
We played defense? They shot 60% in the first half and ended at 51.6% for the day.

What a terrible performance. St.John's was better prepared, played harder and played as a team. They converged on all of our attempts to drive and dared us to move the ball. When we did, it was effective and we hit 7 of 13 from 3 in the 1st half. In the 2nd half we too often resorted to overdribbling and taking wild drives or launching low percentage 3's.

Defensively, it was a no-show. Even when we did get some stops we couldn't get the rebound. 13 offensive rebounds for SJ. Many were a result of Bediako being out of position after sprinting back after hedging. Bediako had ZERO defensive rebounds and EHE had 1. in 40 minutes our Centers grabbed 1 Defensive Rebound.

Only potential positive is maybe Sha can use this to light a fire under them and we come out fired up in Dayton (if we make it. I'd put us at about 80% and have to hope there aren't bid stealers, But that looked like some guys who had nothing to play for and are focused on their next career moves already.

What a terrible performance. St.John's was better prepared, played harder and played as a team. They converged on all of our attempts to drive and dared us to move the ball. When we did, it was effective and we hit 7 of 13 from 3 in the 1st half. In the 2nd half we too often resorted to overdribbling and taking wild drives or launching low percentage 3's.

Defensively, it was a no-show. Even when we did get some stops we couldn't get the rebound. 13 offensive rebounds for SJ. Many were a result of Bediako being out of position after sprinting back after hedging. Bediako had ZERO defensive rebounds and EHE had 1. in 40 minutes our Centers grabbed 1 Defensive Rebound.

Only potential positive is maybe Sha can use this to light a fire under them and we come out fired up in Dayton (if we make it. I'd put us at about 80% and have to hope there aren't bid stealers, But that looked like some guys who had nothing to play for and are focused on their next career moves already.
The one consistent thing about this very inconsistent team has been they’ve always responded in a big way when things looked bleak.

There’s still potential left in this team, but man it was very disheartening to watch them get punked in such a big game, let alone by a rival.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The one consistent thing about this very inconsistent team has been they’ve always responded in a big way when things looked bleak.

There’s still potential left in this team, but man it was very disheartening to watch them get punked in such a big game, let alone by a rival.
We can almost never find a balance . Today our inside game was bad.

Credit (as much as it pains me) to St John's. good game plan. Successfully kept us out of the paint and dictated the flow of the game. RJ Luis played really well.... Couldn't figure out though how they beat us down court after every miss especially in 1st half. Crossing fingers at this point. When we lose...... we lose BAD. (except for Creighton game #1)

St John’s wanted it more and they played like it.We are in tourney and they may be also.

The optics just looked like Seton Hall sat back and expected St. John’s to fold again. And they didn’t.

Team didn’t play hard, didn’t get loose balls, didn’t rebound and lost their man constantly on defense. It was a very bad defensive performance all around.

These kinds of games have nothing to do with NIL. They’re heart games.

Today we had none.

Slick Rick may have NIL $ going into this next season, but he took over a complete rebuild and when you look at the roster it is pretty obvious that while he may have had a better situation that Seton Hall last spring/summer, it wasn't anything to sing home about. Because they have lots of role players, some good starting caliber BE players, and no stars or true go to guys. He accumulated depth and developed it.

They beat us every single way. The 3 point shooting saved us in it in the first half, with Dawes and Wusu shooting a ridiculously good percentage. I give Dawes lots of credit because at one point he was 7-10 and keeping us in the game. His stats don't look as good because he took a ton of forced shots in the second half when we were down double digits, but I thought he came to play. And they specifically adjusted for him after he started off so hot.

Kadary on the other hand.....you can look at that stat line, and I think it is deceiving as hell. He looked lost to me for much of the game tonight, which is disappointing for a kid who had a really good year and even gets insane comparisons at times here.

Providence up and nova getting no Kolek Marquette. They say the committee doesn't really look at conf tourneys for much seeding but I got a bad feeling how this gonna roll out.

It's hard to play tight defense when you get called for phantom fouls on clean blocks. But we definitely allowed dribble penetration
The lane looked like it was manned by EZ Pass for all the SJU players who had a free and clear path to the basket.

Reactions: SHallguy2
That was a joke today. I mean what the hell?

I’d like to see another BE team who won 13 games that got blown out this much. We are quite the quirky team.

The sting of this will be gone by Sunday. An 11 seed is best for this group.

Yep. Providence and Nova winning no good. More teams on wrong side of bubble wins the more likely we can get knocked out. Absolutely rooting for Creighton. A win earlier or even a very close loss would have avoided any chance. Bad effort. Hoping for best on Sunday

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
We played defense? They shot 60% in the first half and ended at 51.6% for the day.
They do this tomorrow they beat UConn. St. John’s played their best basketball game of the year. I believe this loss maybe a blessing in disguise. Don’t get me wrong I wanted us to play tomorrow night but prefer to see some wins in the big tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT