ADVERTISEMENT

What to look for..

HALL85

All Universe
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
The season is still five months away, but with the roster now set here are the “first impressions” aka six-pack, I am looking for when the season starts.
- Does Richmond show up in game shape and ready to go?
- Ditto for Samuel.
- Does Yetna embrace the post role?
- How does Sha manage minutes with the roster?
- Does Ndefo project to an Ish/Nzei type forward?
- Does Sanders break into the rotation early?

why do so many people talk about richmond being out of shape? seems like a bad sign lol.

samuel was destroyed after covid. never recovered. lets hope those days are over.

Sha managing mins will be interesting but it never seems to work itself out halfway through the season. right now it does seem like a lot of parity.

Reactions: Bluebeard
The season is still five months away, but with the roster now set here are the “first impressions” aka six-pack, I am looking for when the season starts.
- Ditto for Samuel.
Does Richmond show up in game shape and ready to go?

1. Injuries have slowed Richmond down in his college career. He's in decent shape, but if he wants more minutes from a Holloway coached team he will have to get into optimum shape.

Ditto for Samuel.

2. He's already in game shape. Just needs to focus and play hard all game long. Especially on D.

Does Yetna embrace the post role?

3. He has no choice if he wants PT. And he does and he will.

How does Sha manage minutes with the roster?

4. Maybe the most important question moving forward. For me, I haven't a clue.

Does Ndefo project to an Ish/Nzei type forward?

5 Impact wise I think so. But totally different players.

Does Sanders break into the rotation early?

6. When talking about the rotation I will repeat what I have been saying since all of the new commitments. No idea, and that's what makes watching SHU basketball next season so exciting. The unknown.

- Ditto for Samuel.
I'm still not sold on Richmond. He had 1 really good game and a few decent games last season. There were also a lot of games that he wasn't a factor. Hopefully if he works hard and come in shape, he will be the player we hoped for.

Richmonds biggest weakness was his shot, but then he shot like 35% which is great because it made him dynamic. if that stays then hell be a force.

Reactions: buckfoston824
That's is because of Willards BS offense
I am with silk. I see so much more than a tall guard who should pound it til he gets indside for a shot. I thought our style last year took away from Kadary's skills. He has a good eye and wants to make good passes I think. Move it around, make us hard to guard.

And he showed up as an average three point shooter so we thought, he surprised us by shooting them well early, and never stopped. I do think he needs to work his ass of over the summer.

I am with silk. I see so much more than a tall guard who should pound it til he gets indside for a shot. I thought our style last year took away from Kadary's skills. He has a good eye and wants to make good passes I think. Move it around, make us hard to guard.

And he showed up as an average three point shooter so we thought, he surprised us by shooting them well early, and never stopped. I do think he needs to work his ass of over the summer.
The thing I liked about Richmond’s three point shooting was that he was selective. When the Defense gave him a lot of space, that’s when he would shoot it.

The only concern I had with Richmond is that often times it looked like he was walking lethargically up the court. I hope he works on quickness during the offseason and can run and gun when needed.

The only concern I had with Richmond is that often times it looked like he was walking lethargically up the court. I hope he works on quickness during the offseason and can run and gun when needed.
Willie Mays lethargically walked back to his position after making super human catches. Kareem Abdul Jabbar lethargically went about his business as he kicked everyone’s butt. As Dan has pointed out , Richmond has been battling injuries while flashing immense talent. I hope that he can someday play a copilot in an Airplane sequel.

I had no issue with him walking up the court. Once Aiken went down he played almost the entire game. I just don't see him as a PG. He rarely beat his man off the dribble & was very careless with the ball at times.

He's a unique player. Reminded me more of a point-wing or point-forward last year. He does do some of the post-stuff that Andre Miller used to do at Utah back in the day, so I can see the comparison in that respect.

I had no issue with him walking up the court. Once Aiken went down he played almost the entire game. I just don't see him as a PG. He rarely beat his man off the dribble & was very careless with the ball at times.
Richmond looks like Allen Iverson compared to Colin Gillespie. He did have some very strong moves in the basket last year but he needs to improve his finish and not make those sloppy passes. Once again, I think he was the victim of the ISO office and not being as good as shape as it could be.

He’s a big PG I can play like a traditional Villanova point guard. Get into the paint and distribute from there. Or post up using his size.

Willie Mays lethargically walked back to his position after making super human catches. Kareem Abdul Jabbar lethargically went about his business as he kicked everyone’s butt. As Dan has pointed out , Richmond has been battling injuries while flashing immense talent. I hope that he can someday play a copilot in an Airplane sequel.
Are you old enough to remember the greatest running back in NFL history, Jim Brown?

After every single play he would look like walking death going back to his huddle. Next play he would run for 40 yards making the defense look foolish.

I just think it (taking our time coming up the court) can give the other team a chance to get organized defensively and forces us into a half court offense (which I never thought we excelled in under KW). I rather the guards look to run and push the tempo.
With the # of quality guards on this years team, we should be able to keep fresh legs out there for 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUMatt
Richmond drove me crazy some times with the slow motion movement back up the court. Since he was putting in a whole bunch of time and was injured for most of the season I would give him a break. But Sha is a “40 minutes of hell” kind of guy. I don’t think that will work. Saying that, I have never seen a single game performance as good as the 18 consecutive points that he rattled off in the first UCONN game. If he can play like that consistently, he can do anything he wants

I just don't know what to expect next year from this team. Can it be a very down year. Yup. Can it be an NCAA Tournament team. Yup. Although I expect the Hall to go uptempo and pick it up full court, does this really play into Richmond's skill? Maybe he will play off ball. Who knows what is really going to happen with next year's team?

I do hope to see an exciting brand of basketball with the Hall pushing the pace and getting into the opposition's shirts defensively. I also can see this team being a very limited offensive team being hard to watch team throwing up a lot of bricks.

Are you old enough to remember the greatest running back in NFL history, Jim Brown?

After every single play he would look like walking death going back to his huddle. Next play he would run for 40 yards making the defense look foolish.
The same if you’re old enough to be a fan of the 77-78 Yankees and Mickey Rivers. He walked to the plate like he needed crutches and then would fly around the bases after he hit the ball.

I think it's clear this team needs Tray Jackson and Tyrese Samuel to stay out of foul trouble. With our roster, we will be up and down the court and can not afford the athletic bigs to be off the court.

Dawes should be seen as an improvement to what we had last year shooting from the outside. He shot more 3's and at a higher percentage than Jamir Harris last season. As long as Dawes, Harris, and Jackson spread the floor with consistent shooting, players like Richmond, Dre Davis, and Odukale will have wider lanes to drive to the basket.

I'm optimistic with our deep team of athletes, we will be able to set the tempo with pressure on the defensive end leading to many transition buckets. Richmond has proven he was strong, fast hands, and can clog the passing lanes.

GO HALL

Reactions: Flnj86 and Halldan1
But Sha's St. Peter's teams were always ranked very low in tempo.
Correct, a lot of people are confusing depth and heavy substitution patterns for tempo. It just meant they were able to give more extended effort defensively in the half court.

On the offensive side of the ball we saw some movement without the ball, cohesive passing, and set plays. Nothing out of the ordinary that should be expected at this level of play, but it was such a stark contrast to what we had seen from a Willard run offensive scheme that it was eye opening.

What was perplexing was the fact that Sha spent all this time under Willard as his lead assistant. None of this could have been implemented during his time here as he collaborated with Willard?

Correct, a lot of people are confusing depth and heavy substitution patterns for tempo. It just meant they were able to give more extended effort defensively in the half court.

On the offensive side of the ball we saw some movement without the ball, cohesive passing, and set plays. Nothing out of the ordinary that should be expected at this level of play, but it was such a stark contrast to what we had seen from a Willard run offensive scheme that it was eye opening.

What was perplexing was the fact that Sha spent all this time under Willard as his lead assistant. None of this could have been implemented during his time here as he collaborated with Willard?
willard was notorious for being stubborn (and clearly arrogant in that respect). you think there was collaboration happening?

He’s got good pieces. To me it looks like an NCAAT group probably still in that 7-10-seed range.

This is the best guard/wing group we’ve had in while and you can go far with that. Lots to like with Richmond, Dawes, Femi, Harris, Sanders. How do they mesh? Sha is demanding so I think that’ll shorten the curve.

The bigs may be good enough but it’s thin. Yetna and Ndefo will be bulldogs under Sha.

Reactions: pirate AI
He’s got good pieces. To me it looks like an NCAAT group probably still in that 7-10-seed range.

This is the best guard/wing group we’ve had in while and you can go far with that. How do they mesh? Sha is demanding so I think that’ll shorten the

The bigs may be good enough but it’s thin.
I don't know if the guard/wing group is better than last year when you account for Rhoden, Cale and what we were able to get from Aiken when he played. I think it is probably not based on paper, even projecting improvements.

It's better than two years ago simply because Aiken was hurt and Long wasn't able to give us anything.

It is definitely not as strong as the year before that when we had one of our best players in school history (who shall remain nameless), Q, Cale, Rhoden, Reynolds, etc.

Reactions: radecicco

I never saw him play but that is precisely how my father described him. He agreed that he was the greatest football player ever.

Reactions: Halldan1
Brown was an incredible athlete. More than just a football player. He excelled in everything he did. Baseball, basketball, lacrosse and of course football.

Hard to believe he retired at age 29, in his prime. The guy was an absolute freak.

I was a NY Giant fan back then and I hated seeing #32 everytime he took the field.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Brown was an incredible athlete. More than just a football player. He excelled in everything he did. Baseball, basketball, lacrosse and of course football.

Hard to believe he retired at age 29, in his prime. The guy was an absolute freak.

I was a NY Giant fan back then and I hated seeing #32 everytime he took the field.
Before my time but I know folks like you, including NFL types, talk about him the same way folks of LT’s era talk about him. Every few years some reporter will have the idea of asking Bellicheck to compare the best present day LB or edge guy to LT, and after Bill B looks at them with a combination of puzzlement, amusement and offense, he will go on a short rant about how LT is the best defensive player he’s ever seen and he puts no one else in that category. There are some great YouTube links of this.

Reactions: BucBloc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT