ADVERTISEMENT

Willard/Pitt

Do you really think he cares once he's got a $10 million buyout. Someone's going to pay you $10 million to go spend time with your kids!!!! Okay where do I sign up for that. He'll let us all know which Carribbean islands are the best to stay at for a month at a time. He can walk into work daily saying I dare you guys to fire me. LOL

His alarm clock, like Kevin Stallings, will sing I got a golden ticket song from Willy Wonka every morning.
Isn't his wife from Pitt? They met in college, I think.

Can’t tell if posters on this thread want Willard to leave. After three straight NCAAs! If he goes for a big pay day I’m ok with it. It’s his opportunity to secure his family’s future. But it’s not something I want to happen.

That sounds absolutely like a great situation. Bring in Marcus Toney El and we have a winner. Come on Pitt!!!Bring Ralph's son home.
Everything at Seton Hall sounds like a great situation between March and November. Will it ever happen to be a great situation between November and March for Seton Hall fans?

If Willard leaves it would be a blow. How big of one is uncertain, but it would be a blow nonetheless.

And Kevin has been treated fairly since he got to SHU. When he was struggling, he was rightfully put on notice by Lyons. When he turned it around he was rewarded. And before all of that he was given a questionable extension before he produced any tangible results. It’s not like the administration has been strong arming Willard since he arrived.

Must be a full moon with some of the responses on this post.

I for one hope Kevin stays. We are moving up the ladder (albeit slowly) to having a very good program and stability is critical. If he uses Pitt to get a few more bucks I'm OK with it. That is the business.

Can’t tell if posters on this thread want Willard to leave. After three straight NCAAs! If he goes for a big pay day I’m ok with it. It’s his opportunity to secure his family’s future. But it’s not something I want to happen.
If you are making low 7 figures or high 6 figures you are doing well, hell 250k is doing well

LOL do you think Pitt has 8 years patience?? on a guy who has won 1 game with a team that was perceived as put together around a recruit that has heat on him by the FBI?

They are doing their due diligence but cant imagine hes high on the list. cant imagine pitt is high on willards list right now. think expectations are hard here?

You obviously missed my point. Coaches in general can care less if fans criticize them. But the business side of this is if your standards are as high as Pitt, pay me like Pitt. If you don't I might as well go to Pitt. Jamie Dixon is the prime example of people not appreciating a good thing.

If we do take on Sha as our next HC I sure as hell hope he's ready to match wits with Wright, Cooley, Mack, McDermott, and Ewing.

If Sha were to become head coach he would need a very experienced bench coach as most new head coaches who have no experience as a head coach but are promoted from an assistant’s position do.

LOL do you think Pitt has 8 years patience?? on a guy who has won 1 game with a team that was perceived as put together around a recruit that has heat on him by the FBI?

They are doing their due diligence but cant imagine hes high on the list. cant imagine pitt is high on willards list right now. think expectations are hard here?

Absolutely not. They definitely don't have patience. I really don't think coaches care about expectations once that contract is signed. Yeah they are going to work their ass off to get the next contract, but the security that Kevin Stallings has is mighty nice. And considering Pitt's situation nobody is signing onto that job without a better buyout after getting rid of Stallings in 2 year.

If Sha were to become head coach he would need a very experienced bench coach as most new head coaches who have no experience as a head coach but are promoted from an assistant’s position do.
He's going to need a very good assistant. I love what Hardaway is doing by getting Brown to be his assistant at Memphis. I love what Mullin did bringing Keady. I would love if Sha was the coach to have a non recruiting assistant of PJ or Blaney.

Corey Evans is not a reliable source for information. On a side note, he never mentions anything positive when discussing Seton Hall recruiting. (Makes sense that he works for rivals, who is probably the most clueless recruiting website).

He's going to need a very good assistant. I love what Hardaway is doing by getting Brown to be his assistant at Memphis. I love what Mullin did bringing Keady. I would love if Sha was the coach to have a non recruiting assistant of PJ or Blaney.
Lavin brought in keady

Reactions: mikesouth
Do you really think he cares once he's got a $10 million buyout. Someone's going to pay you $10 million to go spend time with your kids!!!! Okay where do I sign up for that. He'll let us all know which Carribbean islands are the best to stay at for a month at a time. He can walk into work daily saying I dare you guys to fire me. LOL

His alarm clock, like Kevin Stallings, will sing I got a golden ticket song from Willy Wonka every morning.
I don't think Pitt is going to make that same $10mm buyout mistake again...for Kevin Willard...

What I don’t like is bashing Kevin for something he hasn’t even done yet.

It’s like Monday Morning Quarterback Time and the bus hasn’t even left for the stadium to play the game yet???,

Reactions: garyshu71
Willard is a good coach but let’s face it, all of his accomplishments are tied to the core four. Most objective observers would say that he underachieved with this group the past two seasons.

If he was a top notch coach, his team would be greater than the sum of the parts, not the inverse. If he stays, I hope he continues to grow as a coach. If he leaves, assuming there are no significant defections, it will be business as usual.

I don't think Pitt is going to make that same $10mm buyout mistake again...for Kevin Willard...
That's good. I disagree. I think considering their situation is a disaster, coming off firing a coach in only 2 season, I think they're going to have to overpay whether it be for Willard or whoever.

I’m confused. We are criticizing SHU fans for criticizing him, but if he gets a big buyout it won’t matter if Pitt fans criticize him?

If SHU fans were nicer he’d stay?

Just don’t take his bait dude. Interesting that he comes out frothing at the mouth when it’s a thread abou his boy possibly leaving. Wonder what he’ll endlessly try and debate the entire board about if it happens and Sha becomes the coach?

I want Willard to stay, but we only need to look within our own conference for two programs who have overcome a coach leaving in Xavier and Butler. There’s no reason to think we couldn’t have a similar transition.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Just don’t take his bait dude. Interesting that he comes out frothing at the mouth when it’s a thread abou his boy possibly leaving. Wonder what he’ll endlessly try and debate the entire board about if it happens and Sha becomes the coach?
How about you let people speak their own mind and be willing to engage in a debate. Just because you look like a complete joke for wanting to fire Willard last year and the year before that, and the year before that and willing to let the core 4 leave with him doesn't mean you should persuade the rest of the board to ignore me or other posters I've seen you try to get everyone to ignore.. That's classless and unAmerican.

That sounds absolutely like a great situation. Bring in Marcus Toney El and we have a winner. Come on Pitt!!!Bring Ralph's son home.
Are you kidding? Willard is a great coach, intelligent leader, with the polish and smarts to lead at this level. Adrian Griffin is the first alum I’d reach out to if Willard were to leave. NBA pedigree and scholar-athlete alum. Then bring in Morton (as well-spoken and heralded as any former player) and top assistant as Sha and/or Jerry Walker.

Bingo. When things were going south last season, with the prospect of Angel potentially foregoing his senior year, he was definitely considering the South Florida job. And USF ain't in the same universe as Pitt.

I think he will be back but this would be an ideal time to check out other options. Not surprised by it. Tournament win and four top players graduating. Plus a pending investigation.

Reactions: deheremike
I'd be all for Mike Rice as an assistant. But that is a highly complicated situation. As some on this board discussed, I heard from very reliable SJU fans that Rice joining that staff was discussed internally throughout the summer/fall. Even though they could use an experienced assistant with a HC background in the worst way, some of the folks in the administration were concerned that anyone who hires Rice can expect significant PR backlash because of what transpired at Rutgers - i.e., those tapes playing consistently on a loop, negative media backlash, and attention for all the wrong reasons. We are already going to be dealing with the Tiny Morton/Whitehead nonsense - would we want add'l negative attention on top of that? He is coaching HS/AAU ball now so obviously there are many parents, including of talented players, who can look past that. I personally believe Coach Rice deserves another shot, but it is a dilemma (and you know opposing programs will use the "Rice show" at Rutgers against anyone who hires him as negative recruiting).

Why would Mike Rice agree to that?

I don't think Pitt is going to make that same $10mm buyout mistake again...for Kevin Willard...[/QUOT

The longer Pitt goes without naming a coach the greater the pressure from their fan base to get something done especially in light of the mass exodus of players and the need to build a roster. That could translate into them having to settle for a lesser name a category Kevin might fall into. What I hope Kevin realizes is that after the disaster that Stallings two years were the Pitt fan base will want tangible progress no later then year three of the new coach’s tenure and If that doesn’t happen then things could get real ugly in Pittsburgh.

Are you kidding? Willard is a great coach, intelligent leader, with the polish and smarts to lead at this level. Adrian Griffin is the first alum I’d reach out to if Willard were to leave. NBA pedigree and scholar-athlete alum. Then bring in Morton (as well-spoken and heralded as any former player) and top assistant as Sha and/or Jerry Walker.

Interesting choices. I'm not sure bringing Tiny back on staff would be a great choice, but that would definitely make a statement.

100% agreed. It is the biggest problem with SJU right now IMO.

As for what Artie Lange posted, agree wholeheartedly that Kevin Boyle would be my first call. I'm a huge Cluess fan but as posted in another thread I'm not sure he works at the highest level where he isn't getting talent far superior to his opponents. Guy has won consistently at every stop though....

He doesn't mean Tiny Morton. I don't think anyone who cares about his team or school would want Tiny Morton coming anywhere near this program again. I don't care what players he's connected to.

Interesting choices. I'm not sure bringing Tiny back on staff would be a great choice, but that would definitely make a statement.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT