ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble watch

Usually the bracket is basically set after the quarterfinal games of the P6 conferences. At least that’s what I’ve read.

Kind of a non sequitur, but it's not worth starting a thread over: Tyrese Samuel missed 14 free throws last night versus Georgia. How is that even possible?
Hack a Reece

BTW, 15 rebounds in just 29 minutes.

Reactions: SHUSource
Reactions: williaza01
Pitt lost to UNC. Gave them a good game. Did their bubble burst???

We need Providence, Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico to lose tonight.

Some positives: Pitt lost, FAU won, and Ohio St lost(a win vs Illinois would have bumped them closer to us)

So it could come down to:

Seton Hall/SJU SJU/Seton Hall
Seton Hall/Virginia
Seton Hall/Virginia/New Mexico
Seton Hall/Colorado

How will The Committee view Several SHU beatdown losses and a weak OOC record vs finishing 13-7(4th place) with a 15-point win over UConn, a win over Marquette, a triple OT loss to Creighton, two wins against SJU? Also, playing in a highly rated power conference and finishing one game behind Marquette and Creighton?? I wish I had the answer.

Pitt lost to UNC. Gave them a good game. Did their bubble burst???

We need Providence, Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico to lose tonight.
I think Virginia is in. I don’t want NC state to surprise. ACC is weak and you never know what happens

So it could come down to:

Seton Hall/SJU SJU/Seton Hall
Seton Hall/Virginia
Seton Hall/Virginia/New Mexico
Seton Hall/Colorado

How will The Committee view Several SHU beatdown losses and a weak OOC record vs finishing 13-7(4th place) with a 15-point win over UConn, a win over Marquette, a triple OT loss to Creighton, two wins against SJU? Also, playing in a highly rated power conference and finishing one game behind Marquette and Creighton?? I wish I had the answer.
Does having a win over the probable overall number 1 seed help more?

Washington St is still in, but has a tuough one vs Colorado. where is colorado in this? 3rd in the Pac12. are they already on the bubble?

Did Providence Bubble Burst?? Probably. I'd be upset if they take SJU and Providence over Seton Hall.

Results are above

3/16 bubble games
(So Florida) vs UAB 3:00
(A&M) vs Florida 3:30
(Fla Atlantic) vs Temple 5:00
(New Mexico) vs SDSU 6:00
(NC State) vs UNC 8:30
(Oregon) vs Colorado 9:00

If you’re just tuning in you want every team in parentheses to LOSE except Florida Atlantic. The Owls must win the AAC tournament to prevent another bid steal.

I've been saying we're a lock since last Saturday night... it now looks like we're 50/50 at best with the bid stealers. We should be in over St. Johns, Providence, A&M and Virginia, but I'm not confident the committee will put us in.

I've been saying we're a lock since last Saturday night... it now looks like we're 50/50 at best with the bid stealers. We should be in over St. Johns, Providence, A&M and Virginia, but I'm not confident the committee will put us in.
Agreed. Hope we get a fair shake on the criteria. We beat St John's and Providence on the criteria if NET is truly only used for seeding. I have not focused on the others, but sounds like them as well with exception of A&M.

Last edited:
Gotta hope the following happens today;
UNC beats NC State
Colorado beats Oregon
Fau wins. If they win the American that’s another at large spot that opens up. Feels like we are 1 of 6 teams fighting for 2 spots pending FAU which would make it 6 for 3 if they win

I’m never confident with the committee…. But I think people are overvaluing what’s happening in the conference tournaments… even the experts are… committee has said before they don’t put as much value what happens in a conference tournament as much as what happens during the whole season. One game in a doe or die conference tournament isn’t going to change then… I really think most of the field is set and they just adjust for any bid stealers.

Do you really think the committee is going to put let’s say a St. John’s over seton hall because of one game in a conference tournament? They’ve said they don’t before.

Results are above

3/16 bubble games
(So Florida) vs UAB 3:00
(A&M) vs Florida 3:30
(Fla Atlantic) vs Temple 5:00
(New Mexico) vs SDSU 6:00
(NC State) vs UNC 8:30
(Oregon) vs Colorado 9:00

If you’re just tuning in you want every team in parentheses to LOSE except Florida Atlantic. The Owls must win the AAC tournament to prevent another bid steal.
the problem is further exacerbated by the fact that if you believe both St. John's and Virginia are in...and I basically do...we may already be eliminated a not know it.

Meaning if what I say above is true, that really leaves 2 spots...with the contenders being us, Providence, Indiana St., and Texas A&M...not counting bid stealers (which we can ill afford to have win)...if the Committee already believes Providence and Indiana St are deserving....then we are already done, as we cannot improve our position beyond where we are now.

That is why those teams that do still play today it is critical the "stealers" all lose; Prov and Ind St like us don't play, which is why it is a "done" if the Comm believes in them...they cant move down...but like us...they CAN be surpassed by a bid stealer.

So root hard for Carolina, Colorado, FAU, and Florida....AND still hope the Committee believes our resume is better than Prov and Indiana St...

I’m never confident with the committee…. But I think people are overvaluing what’s happening in the conference tournaments… even the experts are… committee has said before they don’t put as much value what happens in a conference tournament as much as what happens during the whole season. One game in a doe or die conference tournament isn’t going to change then… I really think most of the field is set and they just adjust for any bid stealers.

Do you really think the committee is going to put let’s say a St. John’s over seton hall because of one game in a conference tournament? They’ve said they don’t before.
That really is the wild card factor in all of this isn't it? How much weight, if any, does the Committee assign to Conference tournament results, toward earning a bid...as opposed to "seeding"; if it is used more for seeding, then our chances are significantly enhanced, I believe.

If however it is used for earning a bid...this was a bad year to be sitting on the bubble.

And the problem is....there are seemingly no set of rules for the Committee to abide by...so one year it can be "the tournaments didn't really affect our decisions" and another it can be "they were really impressive down the stretch, and for them to have that kind of showing in their conference tournament against quality opponents was enough for us to separate them from the other contenders"

I guess we shall find out tomorrow night...

I would say SJU in over Prov
Seton Hall over Prov
Texas A&M in
Seton Hall over Virginia
New Mexico in over Seton Hall
Colorado in and can help us today.

Seton Hall and SJU?????? Two games of three played in their arenas. We kicked their tail at home. They beat us bad at MSG. Our comeback was vital and great at UBS down 19. They are playing better and have more depth. If we played them 10 times(5 at home and 5 at their places) Seton Hall wins 6 in my opinion.Not relative BUT.

We also know the committee takes circumstances into consideration. Our home win vs SJU without Pitino and a starter. Makes the score a lot closer than comfort

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT