ADVERTISEMENT

Woj: Lakers targeting Danny Hurley for HC

I had no idea really but thought the family regional ties were too strong.

Glad for UConn and the BE he is staying. He's an east coast guy in the end. UConn upped his salary I am sure so he still made out on the deal. Glad he didn't drag it out any further. He definitely considered it no doubt.

Great for Danny to get this kind of recognition for him being such a successful head coach.
He left 3 million a year on the table. It's appreciated.

Reactions: Section112
70 million was a lot lower than what some speculators had posted. Whether 70 or 120 ..he would only go if he wanted the job. The chance for him to build a great legacy would most likely happen by staying at UConn amd that is what he wants.
My guess is it was higher...but if you are the Lakers you don't want it out there that a college guy turned you down for say $100 million...nor do you want that to set the bar for the guy you DO ultimately hire.

So, who knows exactly what it was....but it WAS a lot of money.

But no fund raisers for Danny...he will be doing just fine at UConn....that is until the Knicks job becomes available...lol

img_6368-jpeg.101548

Love the money beg at the end by Benedict. I guess that's the new reality of college basketball.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
70 million ain't much when nearly 50% of it is taxed
Personally, I've been struggling to make ends meet on my post-tax $35 million.

It's not all money for Hurley. Look at this dad and you'll understand why he didn't jump at this.
It's a lot easier to say that when the downside is you're pulling in $8 million per year plus whatever outside income you derive.

Reactions: SHUSource
As a CPA I can assure you that the 3 million on the table in LA is not actually 3 million left on the table
I am not a CPA, but quick and dirty math off the top of my head, the top marginal rate in California is what like 12% in the top marginal rate in Connecticut is just under 7%. So the differential is 5%. So we're talking about $3 million less $150,000, right?

Hurley was always about the money but it was to get more out of UCONN when he didn’t like his contract he had sitting on his desk!! Seeing a guy like Calipari make more at Arkansas while he’s at a school without the deep pockets for him or NIL money for his players he needed more leverage & found it with that weasel Woj who said he would get a 9 figure deal or make it impossible to turn down! Scare UCONN a little & now he’s getting more money from the job he always was taking!! & that mega offer from LA wasn’t really that mega!!

I think what Milwaukee did to his old teammate Adrian Griffin was the nail in the coffin for Hurley to turn down the NBA.

Hurley was always about the money but it was to get more out of UCONN when he didn’t like his contract he had sitting on his desk!! Seeing a guy like Calipari make more at Arkansas while he’s at a school without the deep pockets for him or NIL money for his players he needed more leverage & found it with that weasel Woj who said he would get a 9 figure deal or make it impossible to turn down! Scare UCONN a little & now he’s getting more money from the job he always was taking!! & that mega offer from LA wasn’t really that mega!!
I hear a lot of Connecticut fans saying the same thing, that Hurley was never actually considering leaving. I think that's wrong. Dan has always wanted to coach in the NBA and considers it the top of his profession. The Lakers are a historic franchise and offered him a deal that would have put him among the top half dozen coaches in the NBA. I think he's seriously considered it and decided it wasn't for him. If he didn't think he was queued up for another championship run, or if the offer had been from the Knicks or the Nets, the outcome might've been different.

He was humbled by the experience how?

Almost no one uses this turn of phrase correctly
I guess, theoretically, It would mean that upon having a great opportunity placed in front of him he felt, or recognized that he wasn't worthy of the adulation.

I think you're right, though, that I'm "grateful" or "honored" probably is a better turn of phrase in that circumstance.

Reactions: Halldan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT