ADVERTISEMENT

Woj: Lakers targeting Danny Hurley for HC

His family likes this area and being close to the extended family. If you are his wife, you don't see him much no matter where he coaches because he is so busy whether he coaches the Lakers or UConn. The family support system is more important for her than Danny. Ultimately its a family decision and I bet the family would prefer to stay close and Danny will still make a lot of $ either way.

Agree with this.

He also just won two straight championships - not sure how much $ is guaranteed with the Lakers offer but head coaches also get fired often in the NBA for under delivering even if they are a well coached team that makes the playoffs and especially with big teams like the Lakers.

His recent success at Uconn gives him coaching stability in a place where he is now beloved. It’s becoming less and less common for head coaches in college to stay at a school longer than 5-6 years and even less common for coaches to win over the fans to the point where he can now do whatever he wants. Hurley has the chance to be the next Coach K

Danny Hurley at the Billy Joel concert at MSG last night wearing what appears to be a shirt that says “New York, New York.”

Reactions: CL82
Agree with this.

He also just won two straight championships - not sure how much $ is guaranteed with the Lakers offer but head coaches also get fired often in the NBA for under delivering even if they are a well coached team that makes the playoffs and especially with big teams like the Lakers.

His recent success at Uconn gives him coaching stability in a place where he is now beloved. It’s becoming less and less common for head coaches in college to stay at a school longer than 5-6 years and even less common for coaches to win over the fans to the point where he can now do whatever he wants. Hurley has the chance to be the next Coach K
You may be right but even for east coast people living in LA is a little different than moving to Milwaukee. Sure California is rough for the common folk but making 20mm a year in LA is as close to paradise as you can get.

I believe his kids are older might be worth a few year adventure. LA still has a certain allure. We will see

You may be right but even for east coast people living in LA is a little different than moving to Milwaukee. Sure California is rough for the common folk but making 20mm a year in LA is as close to paradise as you can get.

I believe his kids are older might be worth a few year adventure. LA still has a certain allure. We will see
Doesn't Bobby live in Arizona. Five hours away by car.

We dont need UConn to always be great. People used to think Georgetown's success was essential for the new big east to be successful. Now all we need from them is not to stink so badly. Get their kenpom up to something respectable but let them be the perrenial doormat of the conference. And now maybe Uconn will help provide some easy wins for us too.
The Big East was dead when they announced realignment to basketball schools only in 2014. Nine NCAA tournaments later and 4 NCAA basketball championships proved the critics wrong. Hurley leaving UConn for LA may hurt the Big East short-term, but no coach is irreplaceable. The silver lining is that SHU may benefit from Hurley's support (not necessarily financial) as an NBA coach.

UConn's Dan Hurley plans to make final decision about Lakers offer on Monday: Report

Looks like the decision is coming pretty soon. Apparently the lakers made a “compelling” offer and case for him to take the job. Still, the fact that he didn’t take it outright and let the weekend go by gives a little hope he may stay with UConn.
Clearly leveraging for more money/best offer, as any rational negotiator would do.

But from whom primarily?

All will be revealed soon.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Seems like he would've taken the Lakers job by now if he wanted it. Nothing is changing on their end. All that's left to do now is squeeze a little more money out of UConn, record the moment he lets his team know he's staying, watch it go viral on Twitter and Instagram, and win another national championship. I think only the last part is in much doubt now, but we'll see.

Reactions: SOpirate and HallX2
It's been two years and we haven't been disappointed. I don't know many who predicted a Final 4, but many believe that we can be a perennial Top 25 team. Let's watch this play out.
No one sane predicted final 4 or anything like that. At least I don't recall reading anything like that on either of our boards.

Most thought the "Willard path" of being a NCAA team annually would continue. That hasn't happened. To be fair though, I thought we were one last season, and I count last season as a "success" given how we exceeded expectations, regardless of whether we made the dance.

I don't think anyone who is objective or fair can be disappointed with Sha. He gets prematurely anointed too much by some, but that's always going to be the case with fans, and at bottom we are lucky to have him in this day and age.

Dan Hurley sets deadline for Lakers coaching decision: ‘Extremely impressed’​

I think he stays; Uconn manages to get closer to that $100 million total value, by extending the length of the contract...and he could easily be at $10 million or more per year, by the contract's last year (10 years?). Start at 6 or 7 a year, work up to 10 or 11. 10 years from now 11 million a year for a high level coach may not seem that exorbitant as it does now. Then again, with the way things are changing in CBB, who the heck knows.

In fact, if Danny does leave, it may be for that reason more than anything....Where is the game going, how soon until players are employees or virtually employees...what happens to the Big East...? One thing about the NBA, like it or not, you know what you are getting.

Will be interesting to see, but in the end, I do think family, geography, and overall contract value wins out.

I think he stays; Uconn manages to get closer to that $100 million total value, by extending the length of the contract...and he could easily be at $10 million or more per year, by the contract's last year (10 years?). Start at 6 or 7 a year, work up to 10 or 11. 10 years from now 11 million a year for a high level coach may not seem that exorbitant as it does now. Then again, with the way things are changing in CBB, who the heck knows.

In fact, if Danny does leave, it may be for that reason more than anything....Where is the game going, how soon until players are employees or virtually employees...what happens to the Big East...? One thing about the NBA, like it or not, you know what you are getting.

Will be interesting to see, but in the end, I do think family, geography, and overall contract value wins out.
Nice Analysis. hope you are correct

Apparently practice at noon. Probably announced shortly thereafter if I had to guess. A very uneducated guess at that. Good luck to Danny either way. Only he knows what is best for him and his family.

Hard to predict this one. On one hand, the long drawn out process makes me think he stays, but I also don't know why LA would let this drag out so long and grind their search to a halt if he wasnt taking the job.

Practice moved to 2:00 pm. I hope for the sake of his players that Danny has already been in touch with them and they know his decision even if the rest of the free world has no idea.

70 million was a lot lower than what some speculators had posted. Whether 70 or 120 ..he would only go if he wanted the job. The chance for him to build a great legacy would most likely happen by staying at UConn amd that is what he wants.

70 million was a lot lower than what some speculators had posted. Whether 70 or 120 ..he would only go if he wanted the job. The chance for him to build a great legacy would most likely happen by staying at UConn amd that is what he wants.
Honestly I think it is more family oriented. He’s secure at Uconn and I am sure financially secure regardless. His legacy is already cemented at Uconn. I’m sure the chance the coach an iconic franchise with an iconic player was alluring, but just following Hurley from afar, I think family won out here.

I had no idea really but thought the family regional ties were too strong.

Glad for UConn and the BE he is staying. He's an east coast guy in the end. UConn upped his salary I am sure so he still made out on the deal. Glad he didn't drag it out any further. He definitely considered it no doubt.

Great for Danny to get this kind of recognition for him being such a successful head coach.

I knew he was too smart for that lakers bullshit. If he waits, and continues to win, a real NBA opportunity will present itself. the lakers are just looking for the next scapegoat and to add to the ever increasing bodycount. LeBron might belong on the Mount Rushmore of NBA players, but he is a certified coach killer. I mean, does any sane person doubt this? Danny doesn’t need that crap. Win three in a row at UConn and cement his place as a basketball coaching God. Yes, money talks, but that family is more about win, win, win than money, money, money.

I was actually taken a back by all the people saying it was a no-brainer. It was, aside from the money, actually a no win. He would have been chewed up and spat out by an organization that was once great but is in total disarray. It would have stained him somewhat after they used him up. A lot of people were saying he could always go back to college. I see it the other way: keep winning in college, and he will get a legitimate and good opportunity in the NBA.

This is very good in a few ways:
1. It’s good for The Big East Conference(and therefore good for us)
2. the lakers will continue their downward spiral
3. All the people who want to see JJ Reddick fail and be humbled will get their wish

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT