ADVERTISEMENT

Woj: Lakers targeting Danny Hurley for HC

He would come into a team where Lebron is not guaranteed to return (unlikely to leave but not 100%). They have the 17th pick (reports that the Pelicans can claim either this pick or theirs next year) in terms of rookies coming in. Neither of his UConn players are projected to fall that far. This is a play in team at best still so a little bit of wiggle room to make his own imprint. I'm sure the Lakers have a godfather offer readily available so I'll just kick back and see

Ollie would be a great replacement but that bridge is burned. Sha is a fun name for any top tier job but I'm not sure who is realistically a good replacement this late in the cycle

I think the Hurleys are Hollywood ready.

Make Geno the men’s coach. Don’t know how he would do in a league with parity.
Auriemma has been offered a couple of head coaching gigs at D1 men's programs. He turned them down.

I can't see him taking the men's job at Connecticut. He's making 3+ million a year in circumstances that are very familiar and comfortable.

He said yesterday on Francesa he was open to an NBA job if it’s the right one

I was shocked never heard him talk about NBA like that before

Then today the WOJ bomb something definitely happening
I have. He's been candid from day one that that is a goal of his. After the championship last year he said that he didn't think he was ready yet. I still don't think he is, but an offer from the Lakers rumored to be worth about 20 million per year probably is one that he can't refuse.

Reactions: LBP43
I fear Sha would be in play at UCONN should Hurley leave. And how could he say no to that?
That had crossed my mind, too. It sure would push the Kadary loyalty issue off the front page.
Wonder who would then come to us?

And as an earlier poster said about Danny, as with Shaheen it is just a matter of time.

Hurley has always clearly stated that he would like to go to the NBA at some point. His approach is going to need the right situation to be successful, and LeBron ain't it. I would want nothing to do with coaching LeBron as he has continually proven to be uncoachable unless your name is Pat Riley or a Pat Riley surrogate. Leverage this to bleed as much money out of UConn as you can, and wait for the Knicks franchise to run out of patience with Thibs. You'll get that ultimate Briggs truck, you'll stay on the East Coast where you say you want to be, and hopefully, you'll actually have some coachable players.

Reactions: Bluebeard
The one thing in UConn's favor is Hurley loves his family and the east coast. If this were the Knicks or Sixers or Celtics he'd be gone in a second. Danny loves this area. And from what I am told, his brother does not like living in AZ which is different than LA of course but the distance is a big issue for his wife and family.

I do think Luke Murray would be a candidate if he left, but Sha could be on the list as well.

Don’t do it, Danny! Don’t be LeBron’s puppet! You’ll be dead man walking from the moment they trot you out in front of the media. Wait for real opportunity.
This has all the makings of PJ and Latrell.

Hurley going to the NBA is a career killer. He is a college basketball coach....no more - no less.

The ONLY reasons this doesn't happen relate to lifestyle/personal concerns.

The money, prestige, certainty a long-term deal provides, and the absolute crapsite that is college sports make this (at least on the objective factors) an absolute no-brainer. Nothing like the Coach K situation. And I suspect a entirely different outcome.

Why do we always want to see our successful coaches leave? If Danny leaves UConn the maybe that makes room for Seton Hall to be next man up! Geez, have some pride! I’d like to see Sha win a Natty here before thinking there are greener pastures out there. How about Seton Hall becomes the greener pasture!? We have a new President coming in, maybe he’ll shake things up and get the right people in place to make that happen!

Hurley has always clearly stated that he would like to go to the NBA at some point. His approach is going to need the right situation to be successful, and LeBron ain't it. I would want nothing to do with coaching LeBron as he has continually proven to be uncoachable unless your name is Pat Riley or a Pat Riley surrogate. Leverage this to bleed as much money out of UConn as you can, and wait for the Knicks franchise to run out of patience with Thibs. You'll get that ultimate Briggs truck, you'll stay on the East Coast where you say you want to be, and hopefully, you'll actually have some coachable players.
You trust dolan and leon rose for hurley?

I will say this, 25 years ago if you said a member of the Kevin Bannon staff would one day be nba head man...that would be something

Reactions: LBP43 and Seton75
I fear Sha would be in play at UCONN should Hurley leave. And how could he say no to that?
It wasn’t too long ago we all thought Sha had to improve his communication skills to be considered for a HC position at a P6 school.

Reactions: mbraue
You trust dolan and leon rose for hurley?

At least they aren't actively walking out of a huddle while I am talking...Knicks to me check all of the attraction boxes of the Lakers while having the added benefit of being on the east coast where he likes and not having to deal with LeBron nor the post-LeBron hangover.

Not a week ago Hurley at prudential center doing hand gestures to the camera signaling 3-peat

This is a writer who has a long history with the family and a writer who is a rival to shams who had the redick news in the last day or so. Hurley still doesn't have a uconn extension. This almost has the same timeline as the lakers pursuit of coach K 20 years ago.
This is coming from the Hurleys. Could be a tactic with UConn or the real deal. I’m thinking he’s going.

As for replacement if Jimmy C will push for Pikiel.

Calhoun loves him. Thinks of him as a son. And given what he did at the Dumpster fire on the Raritan they shd look at him
Hard pass. After the Kevin Ollie debacle, Jim really doesn't have that kind of juice anymore. Not that he couldn't get Steve considered, but to be honest we would set our sites for replacement Coach a little higher than that.

(For what it's worth, I'm hearing a little waffling on that "he's gone." That's still the sense, but there's less certainty about it, so there may be a little back-and-forth happening.)

College basketball is in incredibly unpredictable state right now. Rebuilding a roster every year and having to deal with these high school kids in their handlers? And who knows what it’s gonna be in five years.

It’s a big career change, but I can completely understand Hurley doing it and would support him for it.

Knowing UCONN, I'd think Pike would be considered ahead of Shaheen.

I've often thought PJ wishes he had gone to Kentucky rather than Portland.

Reactions: Pirates13
What makes UCONN any more appealing than Louisville? Obviously UCONN has been insanely successful that last 25 years. Nonetheless, i would think resources are better at Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT