ADVERTISEMENT

Woj: Lakers targeting Danny Hurley for HC

What makes UCONN any more appealing than Louisville? Obviously UCONN has been insanely successful that last 25 years. Nonetheless, i would think resources are better at Louisville.
Depends what you mean by resources. If it was in the pre-NIL era then you might be right, but Connecticut has a pretty good NIL set up right now with multiple collectives. if you are talking about facilities, Connecticut men's basketball facilities are pretty much state of the art.

Reactions: TomD82
What has Pike done at RU that gets him this job if Hurley goes? I’m not seeing it. Luke Murray would be a better choice IMO.
Kimani Young is the associate head coach. He would get the nod before Luke. In all honesty, the only coach on the staff besides Hurley with head coaching experience is Tom Moore, but I actually think he'd be behind Young. He's in more of a GM role at Connecticut. Can't see Pikiell happening at all.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
What has Pike done at RU that gets him this job if Hurley goes? I’m not seeing it. Luke Murray would be a better choice IMO.
Broke a 30’plus year drought. Made them respectable. Is a well liked alum. Accomplishing anything’s at ru makes you a Svengali

Hurley has always clearly stated that he would like to go to the NBA at some point. His approach is going to need the right situation to be successful, and LeBron ain't it. I would want nothing to do with coaching LeBron as he has continually proven to be uncoachable unless your name is Pat Riley or a Pat Riley surrogate. Leverage this to bleed as much money out of UConn as you can, and wait for the Knicks franchise to run out of patience with Thibs. You'll get that ultimate Briggs truck, you'll stay on the East Coast where you say you want to be, and hopefully, you'll actually have some coachable players.
I think if they throw a ridiculous offer at him, he HAS to take it; frankly, who cares if it doesn't work out...he would have another college job in less than 10 seconds....

Sets his family up for life

Reactions: CL82 and LBP43
His dad was loyal to St Anthony’s and made a lot less than offered at many DI schools. $ isn’t always the #1 reason to change your career.
You are right, but the Dad’s motivation was always about saving his beloved school and all the kids it serviced.

I don’t know if Danny wants to scratch the NBA itch. For the great college coaches, some feel compelled to do so as the next step, and some do not. Coach K flirted with the Lakers, but never left. Weight seemingly flirted with the NBA, but stayed. I don’t recall if guys like Knight or Wooden ever did so. Pitino obviously made the jump twice, once successfully as a really young coach where he had direct ties, and once unsuccessfully because it was an iconic team (like the Lakers).

If Holloway leaves that could destroy our current roster.
Wow Dan,

Now I’m getting a little worried.

With you having a pulse on the team all the time, and saying a Holloway departure is even in the remote possibility is frightening!!

His dad was loyal to St Anthony’s and made a lot less than offered at many DI schools. $ isn’t always the #1 reason to change your career.
This is true, but Danny has had a whole lot of career changes since he was the head coach at Saint Benedict's.

Reactions: Bluebeard
You are right, but the Dad’s motivation was always about saving his beloved school and all the kids it serviced.

I don’t know if Danny wants to scratch the NBA itch. For the great college coaches, some feel compelled to do so as the next step, and some do not. Coach K flirted with the Lakers, but never left. Weight seemingly flirted with the NBA, but stayed. I don’t recall if guys like Knight or Wooden ever did so. Pitino obviously made the jump twice, once successfully as a really young coach where he had direct ties, and once unsuccessfully because it was an iconic team (like the Lakers).
Pitino knicks era was fairytale at start hometown manhattan guy taking the pro team with elite young talent and then fizzled due to disconnect with the GM plus from an ownership or majority ownership standpoint knicks went through the car wash a lot until landling with dolan fam...as for boston he went there with a dual role with the hope of getting Duncan...he was too much of a dealer and looked for quick fix vs the whole org being patient with development of guys and seeing what FA classes could supplement the roster.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Wow Dan,

With you having a pulse on the team all the time, and saying a Holloway departure is even in the remote possibility is frightening!!
Any shu fan who isnt worried that we could lose Sha if our NIL continues to hold us back has got to take some reality pills. Based on nothing but how i see reality.

He brought them to mediocrity. Getting to mediocrity is a big deal at LRSH, not so much in Storrs (or anywhere else for that matter).

Reactions: CL82
Broke a 30’plus year drought. Made them respectable. Is a well liked alum. Accomplishing anything’s at ru makes you a Svengali
He did far less than what Kevin accomplished here and he had far more resources and an on campus arena. I disagree with you. His RU record is 132-123 (.518). Willard was 225-161 (.583). Neither guy should sniff the UConn job if it becomes available IMO.

Wow Dan,

No, I don't think he's leaving, I was just commenting on a previous post where it was said if he left.

Depends what you mean by resources. If it was in the pre-NIL era then you might be right, but Connecticut has a pretty good NIL set up right now with multiple collectives. if you are talking about facilities, Connecticut men's basketball facilities are pretty much state of the art.
I heard they need 100 million from the state to renovate their facilities.

I wouldn't be too worried on the continuity piece, regardless of who they bring in to be HC if Hurley where to leave.

If it is all, or mostly, about NIL for these kids, Uconn can ensure they are adequately taken care of I'm sure, and then-some. They could also pay assistants even better to stay if they want a HC with experience to take the gig.

I heard they need 100 million from the state to renovate their facilities.
Close, the governor has pledged $100 million for Gampel renovations. Those renovations would largely be better concessions, more restrooms, club seating, luxury boxes and an outside concourse. All of those are about increasing revenue and enhancing fan experience.

The athletic experience and facilities are already outstanding:

Last edited:
Kimani Young is the associate head coach. He would get the nod before Luke. In all honesty, the only coach on the staff besides Hurley with head coaching experience is Tom Moore, but I actually think he'd be behind Young. He's in more of a GM role at Connecticut. Can't see Pikiell happening at all.
Agree with you. Tommy Moore didn't get in done at Quinnipiac. He is in the George Blaney role. Good second banana. Pike is too low key to replace Hurley. Plus he has Big Ten bias and really hasn't achieved a true breakthrough.

Reactions: CL82
I see him leaving 50-50 at best; the wife factor.
But if he does go to the Lakers, does Andrew make the roster to smooth things over in the locker room there, too?

He brought them to mediocrity. Getting to mediocrity is a big deal at LRSH, not so much in Storrs (or anywhere else for that matter).
What has Pike done? What has Luke Murray done??? He even fell out of the running at Fairfield.

While I think Danny’s personality does not jive well with the NBA, I still think it’s a no brainer for him to take the job. 1) he has proven all he can at the collegiate level. 2) more importantly, college basketball is finished. It is a semi-pro league without any contracts and turnover every year. So why not go coach in the real pro league.

This will be the beginning of the end for Big East.

Reactions: SHUSA
I see him leaving 50-50 at best; the wife factor.
But if he does go to the Lakers, does Andrew make the roster to smooth things over in the locker room there, too?
Rumor is that Drew already has a job in LA.

What has Pike done? What has Luke Murray done??? He even fell out of the running at Fairfield.
Supposedly Murray has had a lot of input into designing our offense. But I agree with you that he's not ready to be a head coach at this level.

I fear Sha would be in play at UCONN should Hurley leave. And how could he say no to that?
hed be dumb not to. i wouldnt even be mad. the current ncaa landscape is a mess. less than 50% of the job is coaching basketball. just seems annoying

Corrrect, not always. But it is the difference maker far far more often than not.

While I think Danny’s personality does not jive well with the NBA, I still think it’s a no brainer for him to take the job. 1) he has proven all he can at the collegiate level. 2) more importantly, college basketball is finished. It is a semi-pro league without any contracts and turnover every year. So why not go coach in the real pro league.

This will be the beginning of the end for Big East.
this x100. much easier to put up with the players that deserve the money.

The Laker job would be a no lose situation for Danny. He's looking at $15M/year for 6 to 8 years ($90M to $120M). Regardless of his success in the NBA, he'd always be welcome in the NCAA.

UConn fans must be on pins and needles, it's fun to see them have to worry for once.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Massive loss for the conference if he leaves Uconn. I would prefer not to see him go anywhere, because this sport is dying as it is with all the NIL BS nonsense they are thrusting on fans, and having Uconn return to Uconn has made the league fun and better.

Massive loss for the conference if he leaves Uconn. I would prefer not to see him go anywhere, because this sport is dying as it is with all the NIL BS nonsense they are thrusting on fans, and having Uconn return to Uconn has made the league fun and better.
We dont need UConn to always be great. People used to think Georgetown's success was essential for the new big east to be successful. Now all we need from them is not to stink so badly. Get their kenpom up to something respectable but let them be the perrenial doormat of the conference. And now maybe Uconn will help provide some easy wins for us too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT