ADVERTISEMENT

Women Make Big Comeback to Beat Marist

Pirate64

All World
Jun 3, 2001
Down 15 at the half but won by about a dozen in Poughkeepsie.

Marist has a terrific winning tradition and great fan support

Just another small miracle by Tony's girls.

Somebody post the happy details

Wow. This is a character win for a number of reasons. I expect this to be a learning year for the team, but nothing beats learning how to win coming from behind on the road. Good good good!

IMG_8809.jpg

PIRATES USE HUGE THIRD QUARTER TO RALLY AT MARIST
Story Links
Box Score

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – With what totaled a 28-point swing, the Seton Hall women's basketball team (2-0) erased a 15-point halftime deficit to come away with a 76-63 victory at Marist (0-3) on Tuesday night at McCann Arena. The Hall got a game-high 18 points from JaQuan Jackson (Killeen, Texas), including 16 in the second half, and 16 from Kaela Hilaire (Floral Park, N.Y.) to spur the comeback.

The Pirates led by a basket after one quarter but were out-scored 22-5 in the second frame to go into halftime down 39-24. The Hall flipped the script in the third quarter, holding a 31-8 advantage in the frame and out-scoring Marist 52-24 overall in a dominant second half. After going 1-for-13 from 3-point range in the first half, the Pirates knocked down their first four of the second and overall were 9-for-17 in the third and fourth quarters.

For the second-straight game the Pirate defense caused an opponent major issues, forcing 29 turnovers by way of 20 steals. Hilaire notched six swipes while Jackson, Claire Lundberg (Andover, Minn.) and LaTecia "TT" Smith (Gardenia, Calif.) each added four. Lundberg and Smith also joined Hilaire and Jackson to give The Hall four players in double-figures. Lundberg finished with a career-high 10 points and Smith stuffed the stat sheet with 12 points, eight rebounds and five assists.

Turning Point
Down by 15 at halftime, the Pirates exploded for a 31-point third quarter to take an eight-point lead to the fourth. The Hall opened the quarter with three straight 3-pointers, one from Kaity Healy(Freehold, N.J.) and two from Jackson, scoring the first 14 points of the frame before pulling even at 41-41. The Pirates would close the frame in similar fashion, ending the quarter on a 14-0 run to take a 55-47 lead after three.

Head Coach Anthony Bozzella On The Result
"Really the key to our third quarter run was Kaity Healy having the courage to take and make the first 3-pointer, everything spiraled from that. The grit we showed to come back in the second half was great to see and I'm really proud of our young group."

Inside The Numbers
  • The Pirates shot 46.2 percent from the floor, including a blistering 70.6 percent in the third quarter
  • The Hall recorded a season-high 21 assists on 30 field goals, led by five each from Jackson and Smith
  • The Pirate bench out-scored its counterpart 26-17, while the Pirates held a 16-6 edge in fast break points
  • Seton Hall won the turnover battle 29-18 and out-scored Marist 32-24 off those turnovers
News and Notes
  • The Pirates improve to 7-1 all-time against Marist in the first meeting since 1994
  • The Hall has opened with a 2-0 record for the second-straight season and third time in four years under Bozzella
  • Bozzella had dropped his prior 27 meetings against Marist, all coming during his 11 seasons as the head coach at Iona
  • One game after setting a new career-high in scoring, Smith finished with 12 points to score in double-figures in back-to-back contests for the first time in her career
  • Smith also grabbed a career-high eight rebounds
What's Next
The Pirates return home on Thursday, Nov. 17 to host Boston College at Walsh Gymnasium. The contest will double as The Hall's "Bozzella Pizza Party," with free pizza provided for students in attendance for the 7 p.m. tip.

http://www.shupirates.com/news/2016...se-huge-third-quarter-to-rally-at-marist.aspx

And we'll get them again next season at Walsh when we're at full strength.

Don't overlook the 16 points from Kaela Hilaire who has the potential to be a consistent double digit scorer for this team. The staff looks like they have a lot of confidence in her as she got 31 minutes of playing time last night.

Reactions: buzzershot
Don't overlook the 16 points from Kaela Hilaire who has the potential to be a consistent double digit scorer for this team. The staff looks like they have a lot of confidence in her as she got 31 minutes of playing time last night.
Staff absolutely loves her. When she gets the eye of the tiger she is going to have a 'career'.

First moment I saw Kaela in the summer scrimmage, I knew. She was a late addition, and will be an intense fireplug. She has grit like DiDi.

Did *you* see the bit that Claire had FOUR steals? If anything tells you that she's really stepping up this year, that does (and the points too).

I continue to expect an up and down learning year, but this win is exactly the kind of thing to grow from. The team KNOWS they can do it. Nothing like having that so early in the season. We may actually pull out some wins based on this one.

First moment I saw Kaela in the summer scrimmage, I knew. She was a late addition, and will be an intense fireplug. She has grit like DiDi.

Did *you* see the bit that Claire had FOUR steals? If anything tells you that she's really stepping up this year, that does (and the points too).

I continue to expect an up and down learning year, but this win is exactly the kind of thing to grow from. The team KNOWS they can do it. Nothing like having that so early in the season. We may actually pull out some wins based on this one.
Credit Lauren DeFlaco for staying with Hilaire when it looked like she was going elsewhere.

Don't let the diminutive young lady fool you. Just as she was as a player she is as a recruiter. Tough as nails with a great work ethic.

OK, I have been given permission to post this.

4 players, Jaquan Jackson, TT Smith, Jordan Molyneaux and Libirdia Gordon were all suspended 3 games each by the NCAA for a rules regulation.

The suspensions are being staggered over the first 6 games. Gordon and Molyneaux missed the first two games and will miss one more each.

Smith and Jackson will miss the next two games and they like the other young ladies will then miss one more game each (games 5 & 6).

After those 6 games they will be free and clear to resume their BB careers in full.

4 players, Jaquan Jackson, TT Smith, Jordan Molyneaux and Libirdia Gordon were all suspended 3 games each by the NCAA for a rules regulation.

The suspensions are being staggered over the first 6 games. Gordon and Molyneaux missed the first two games and will miss one more each.

Smith and Jackson will miss the next two games and they like the other young ladies will then miss one more game each (games 5 & 6).

After those 6 games they will be free and clear to resume their BB careers in full.
What NCAA rule did they violate?

Is this a suspension that the NCAA itself imposed or is this a suspension that SH recommened when the NCAA notified SH that NCAA rule violations had occurred and the NCAA accepted.

Is this a suspension that the NCAA itself imposed or is this a suspension that SH recommened when the NCAA notified SH that NCAA rule violations had occurred and the NCAA accepted.

Good question.

I'm sure Dan doesn't have permission to divulge that.

They put us in such a bad position.
If you're going to release the violation information and are not specific, it creates unnecessary speculation.

This is crazy because two of those players are in their fourth season in college, one is in her third and one in her second.

I'm sure they've all been briefed several times about the rules. I have to believe it has to do with a benefit.

I wonder if SHU self-reported or if somebody dropped a dime on the Pirates.

The players should have just said they play for Syracuse. They would have been let off with a wag of the finger and a stern look.

If you're going to release the violation information and are not specific, it creates unnecessary speculation.

This is crazy because two of those players are in their fourth season in college, one is in her third and one in her second.

I'm sure they've all been briefed several times about the rules. I have to believe it has to do with a benefit.

I wonder if SHU self-reported or if somebody dropped a dime on the Pirates.

The players should have just said they play for Syracuse. They would have been let off with a wag of the finger and a stern look.

Or North Carolina.

NCAA mandated and IMO the punishment grossly outweighs the rules violation.

Totally agree. I know but cannot comment as I am bound as well. But I swear that if Notre Dame women were similarly taxed, it would be so far less than this. A punishment is reasonable, the magnitude defies all possible logic, and I swear tgat a top ten team would get nothing. No respect for NCAA.

I don't doubt what you guys say.

The NCAA is a joke when it comes to enforcing rules and handing out punishment. Three games is significant for a college season.

I don't doubt what you guys say.

The NCAA is a joke when it comes to enforcing rules and handing out punishment. Three games is significant for a college season.

Absolutely. This is why the Marist win is a statement of character for a clearly young team. They dug in. We are going to see serious improvement this year. As my buddy Pat says, this team is like the Marquette team two years ago. No one wanted to play them since while beatable they were able to pull off upsets.

The good news as I see it based on some of you in the know is that it's not a major discipline issue .
Call me crazy but I don't get the feeling that Coach Bozzella would ever put up with a major discipline issue. That just doesn't seem to be the way he rolls.

Call me crazy but I don't get the feeling that Coach Bozzella would ever put up with a major discipline issue. That just doesn't seem to be the way he rolls.

Exactly right in this and all cases with Coach. You nailed it.

My take, and I am sure Dan would agree, is that we look for a young team with a huge upside grow this year. I genuinely expect game bumps along the road, but the overall picture of a team with the parts to reassert itself as a power by next year is really there. Yes, no guarantees, but the potential is really strong.

I don't know the women's team that well so excuse me if this is a dumb question. Tony B appears to be a hell of a coach and a great hire by Lyons. My question is was the success the past 3 years a result of Ann Donovan's players he inherited or has his recruiting been on par with Ann's? Do you expect this program to be a consistent participant in the tourney going forward? I ask because this is the first year we aren't expected to make the NCAA tourney and is also the first year most, if not all, Ann's players have graduated.

I have no doubt that the sanctions mandated by the NCAA are excessive in relationship to what the rules that were violated and accept that premise from those with knowledge of the situation like Dan and BP . The NCAA has a long history of imposing sanctions that are far less then warranted when it involves the big name schools and the converse is true with respect to schools who don't have the same name recognition.

Having said that I would have loved to have SH stand up and appeal the sanctions as excessive and even if the results were the same it would send a message that we're not going to allow our players to be treated unfairly and if you do you're going to have a fight on your hands.

Reactions: catholicman
I don't know the women's team that well so excuse me if this is a dumb question. Tony B appears to be a hell of a coach and a great hire by Lyons. My question is was the success the past 3 years a result of Ann Donovan's players he inherited or has his recruiting been on par with Ann's? Do you expect this program to be a consistent participant in the tourney going forward? I ask because this is the first year we aren't expected to make the NCAA tourney and is also the first year most, if not all, Ann's players have graduated.

I can't really speak for Ann's recruiting outside of Tabitha and DiDi... But Tony has brought in Bird Gordon (top 100 HS player), Daisha Simmons (A-A out of HS), Shakena Richardson (A-A out of HS and drafted by WNBA), Jordan Mosley (top 100 HS player), Tiff Jones (65th best player in HS) and Aleesha Powell... All starters or key reserves for the past few years under Tony. Many of his players got us into the NCAAs over the past few years.

And I believe last year only 1 of Ann's players graduated (Tabitha). And the year before only 1 of Ann's players graduated (DiDi). The rest of the graduates (if my memory is correct, however, I've only been following the program for 2 years before this season) have been graduate xfers or xfers brought in by Tony.

Tony's Frosh will be an amazing group for the next 3 years. And he has the #1 recruiting class in the BE for 2017.

Tony is awesome.

Last edited:
I also think he did a better job coaching the Donovan players as opposed to Donovan herself.

At East Carolina and SHU, Donovan proved to be a lousy coach in terms of developing young players. Give her finished products in the pros, and she does a better job.

How can say that when you don't know even know what the violation was?
Because of the high degree of credibility I accord when knowledgeable posters like Dan and BP make informed comments that the penalties are excessive . Does it really matter what the specific violation is when people who know the facts report that the penalty is excessive.

I have no doubt that the sanctions mandated by the NCAA are excessive in relationship to what the rules that were violated and accept that premise from those with knowledge of the situation like Dan and BP . The NCAA has a long history of imposing sanctions that are far less then warranted when it involves the big name schools and the converse is true with respect to schools who don't have the same name recognition.

Having said that I would have loved to have SH stand up and appeal the sanctions as excessive and even if the results were the same it would send a message that we're not going to allow our players to be treated unfairly and if you do you're going to have a fight on your hands.
80 - there was an appeal....didn't do much good.

Reactions: shupat08
Because of the high degree of credibility I accord when knowledgeable posters like Dan and BP make informed comments that the penalties are excessive . Does it really matter what the specific violation is when people who know the facts report that the penalty is excessive.
80- I agree with HD and BP the penalty was excessive.

Reactions: shupat08

That means we will be at full strength (excluding injuries) for the Princeton away game.

SOBO1-
I expect Tony's teams to be consistent participants in the tourney going forward. Remember he has 8 freshmen on this team and a very talented transfer sitting out. Tony and staff are great recruiters and teachers. Ann had the name but was not a teacher of young college athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT