ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Boone Does It Again

ed odowd

All American
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2013
Takes out starter pitching a shutout for 5 innings allowing 3 hits. With only 75 pitches.So what happens when he brings on one of there lowest ranked relief pitchers and Baltimore scores 4 runs and likely wins game..You are some strategist Aaron,please do obvious and leave hot pitcher in.Time for Boone and Cash to go but Hal likes them and as long as they make playoffs most years they are safe.Gone is the real drive for a championship

He sucks. Should be fired. Let’s bring Donnie Baseball back as the skipper of the Yanks.

Reactions: SHUMikechine
Takes out starter pitching a shutout for 5 innings allowing 3 hits. With only 75 pitches.So what happens when he brings on one of there lowest ranked relief pitchers and Baltimore scores 4 runs and likely wins game..You are some strategist Aaron,please do obvious and leave hot pitcher in.Time for Boone and Cash to go but Hal likes them and as long as they make playoffs most years they are safe.Gone is the real drive for a championship
I have been saying this for years. I watch most Yankee games and can give you countless examples of moves he has made like this that have cost the Yankees ball games. He is the worst bullpen manager that I have seen in many years of watching baseball. His in game decisions with both with the bullpen and lineup are horrible. I thought I was suffering alone, I am so glad that others are noticing this.

Not sure who should be fired Boone or his computer. I have never seen a manager have a worst feel for the game.

Everything he does is preplanned with the goal of not losing the game instead of winning it.

The man would be a great FB coach playing the prevent defense, IN THE FIRST HALF.

I can’t even watch them anymore. He’s so bad. I said in GM the German post I was surprised he let him finish the perfect game.

Who is worse Cashman or Boone?

I really think Hal has become so reliant on Cashman, he is afraid to make a change and Cashman continues to make bad deals for the Yankees and stick with bad deals/players for way too long (look at Hicks, Donaldson, Sanchez, etc.). And the Yankees continue to keep wife beaters on the payroll (at least 3 in the last few years).

Boone has no feel for the game I I believe takes his orders from little Hitler Cashman. Both should be fired and replaced.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Who is worse Cashman or Boone?

I really think Hal has become so reliant on Cashman, he is afraid to make a change and Cashman continues to make bad deals for the Yankees and stick with bad deals/players for way too long (look at Hicks, Donaldson, Sanchez, etc.). And the Yankees continue to keep wife beaters on the payroll (at least 3 in the last few years).

Boone has no feel for the game I I believe takes his orders from little Hitler Cashman. Both should be fired and replaced.
Stick Michael was who built the dynasty. I don’t know if there is anyone in the organization who has the eye for building a team that he had. You’d think Cashman would have learned under him. Instead he relies on statistics and metrics.

I don’t think Boone is good but firing him won’t change much. He does not make any of these decisions

The next guy will do the exact same thing
I disagree, a good baseball manager would not make these moves.

I disagree, a good baseball manager would not make these moves.
You don’t understand..he’s not making the moves.95% of all mlb managers don’t make these moves

So yes he’s not good but for the Yankees, doesn’t matter who the manager is

Reactions: PirateFan94
I don’t think Boone is good but firing him won’t change much. He does not make any of these decisions

The next guy will do the exact same thing
That why his computer has to go along with him. The game has changed so much that now stats are far more important than your eyesight.

I used to live to watch Yankee baseball. No more, I just watch the highlights after the games. Not worth the aggravation seeing players making $20M or more a year bat below the Mendoza Line swinging from their heels on 0-2 counts.

Not the game I grew up playing.

That why his computer has to go along with him. The game has changed so much that now stats are far more important than your eyesight.

I used to live to watch Yankee baseball. No more, I just watch the highlights after the games. Not worth the aggravation seeing players making $20M or more a year bat below the Mendoza Line swinging from their heels on 0-2 counts.

Not the game I grew up playing.
I understand your point. But it’s not even his computer. Boone has virtually nothing to do with anything. Yankees analytics department has a bigger payroll than most mlb teams

Also, I mostly agree with you. Some of the analytics stuff is actually interesting and I think they’re correct but it has jumped the shark and is oppressive.

Computer was analogous for those above him.

Everything is stats nowadays. Managers are simple computer techs doing what they are being told to do. It's no longer a game of feel, execution, or the like. Now it's muscle, exit velocity, strikeouts, swinging for the fences regardless of the count or circumstance.

The game has been ruined for me.

It is the new baseball. Much is determined by youth baseball and the yr long grind from a young age on the arm that makes nine innings look like a miracle.

If it makes nyy fans feel any better. For the second time dave roberts removed a rookie throwing a no hittet after six. Brought in a vet. First batter he faces singles and next one homers. 5 or 6 innings then no reliever pitches more than an inning. Strike the side out on 11 pitches then have a seat.

Everything is stats nowadays. Managers are simple computer techs doing what they are being told to do. It's no longer a game of feel, execution, or the like. Now it's muscle, exit velocity, strikeouts, swinging for the fences regardless of the count or circumstance.

I may be a bit naive, but are you telling me that the communication is so good from the analytics department to Boone that they are communicating these moves right into the dugout in the middle of the game.

It's not even pitch count or how the pitcher is throwing. Now unless you are a proven veteran pitchers are being taken out so as to not face the batting order a third time.

Reactions: Section112
I may be a bit naive, but are you telling me that the communication is so good from the analytics department to Boone that they are communicating these moves right into the dugout in the middle of the game.

Yes

Yes. Like 95% of other mlb teams

Isn’t modern technology great with the result being a manager’s experience coaching and playing the game is less important then the numbers that come out of a computer program.

Boone is a caretaker doing what he is told to do, leading the league in ejections and making excuses for every Yankee playing poorly.

Simply a puppet with his strings pulled. I have gotten to the point where I just cannot listen to him in the post game and simply change the channel when he's on.

There's probably not a Yankee fan out there that doesn't know what he is going to say before he says it.

Some people actually belive that. I for sure do not. As was posted above, I believe they are handed a plan for each game and are expected to execute it.

Some people actually belive that. I for sure do not. As was posted above, I believe they are handed a plan for each game and are expected to execute it.
It is more than a “plan”

I think people here would be shocked to see the documents given to these guys prior to a single game

It’s like war and peace for every game

If I understand it correctly, the teams can basically create analytic programs that everyone from the front office and data departments to the coaching staffs see in real time. they dont have to call down. All the manager has to do is look at a tablet in the dugout and it will spit out data telling them what to do.

Reactions: williaza01
Some of the most interesting stuff is how much of the analytics is not new at all but now has a number and makes front offices go crazy

Also, players aren’t stupid and know they managers are basically powerless and causes serious issues

Good organizations have figured out systems to keep everything in line and bad ones have not

I know many who are right there with you in believing analytics and that stuff has ruined the game. They just don’t like it as much as they did.

And honestly NIL is doing the exact same thing for many college basketball fans.

I also dont like the way the game is going in terms of how its managed and many of the rule changes and have watched much less of it this season. But i will give credit where credit is due. At the very least the pitch clock and speeding up the game seem to be working. I believe attendance is noticeably higher than it has been over the past few years.

Reactions: radecicco
It is more than a “plan”

I think people here would be shocked to see the documents given to these guys prior to a single game

It’s like war and peace for every game
I’d say it’s more at a script that is strictly followed.

Have you see one of these documents?
Yes, I had the same type of question. As a long time baseball fan who manages along with the manager during the game I find this very interesting
Also, I was curious as to what detail they go into.
Are they actually real time and if so who is inputting the updated data ?
Do the name the specific relief pitcher or pinch hitter to be used in a specific situation ?
Do they include pitch counts or other data ?

Yes, I had the same type of question. As a long time baseball fan who manages along with the manager during the game I find this very interesting
Also, I was curious as to what detail they go into.
Are they actually real time and if so who is inputting the updated data ?
Do the name the specific relief pitcher or pinch hitter to be used in a specific situation ?
Do they include pitch counts or other data ?
Every stadium has basically a shot link live data system that is entered and than each team and analytics department has their own twist on things

Ha yes they do. If you aren’t familiar I think it would blow your mind

It doesn’t say reliever or pinch hitter. It gives the pitch/velocity/spin rate/location/vector each pitch should be thrown per batter all game

Reactions: shu09
Geez, guys are done with baseball and college hoops. Some guys have never watched an NBA game. Not too much left. Maybe pickle ball on the Tennis Channel.

Reactions: Seton75
Weekends on ESPN

2023_ACL_Cornhole_Mania_Results.png

I don’t think Boone is good but this Yankees roster without Judge, Rodon, Montas, & Cortes for long stretches sucks.

Especially Judge. The drop-off shouldn’t be that huge, but if this is what Stanton, DJ, Rizzo, Torres etc are going to be, it most certainly is steep. Of course if Stanton goes on one of his three week binges, it might not look nearly as bad.

I just cannot understand Stanton. His power is immense so he doesn't need a long swing. He's swing is compact and because of his power he should be able to take a little longer to recognize the pitch. Similar to what a bulked up Barry Bonds was able to do later in his career.

Bonds knew his strike zone and would only swing within that area because he was able to take longer to identify the pitch because of his strength and compact swing.

How the hell is Stanton batting .200?

I just cannot understand Stanton. His power is immense so he doesn't need a long swing. He's swing is compact and because of his power he should be able to take a little longer to recognize the pitch. Similar to what a bulked up Barry Bonds was able to do later in his career.

Bonds knew his strike zone and would only swing within that area because he was able to take longer to identify the pitch because of his strength and compact swing.

Stanton, like many of the Yankees are past their prime and diminished by injuries. The game has changed immensely in the last 5 or so years. Pure stuff from pitchers has improved, each team carrying 8 relievers so you never face a guy more than twice.

Without Judge these 4 guys are being counted on for production and all are struggling.

Stanton - has had constant lower body injuries in his career including his pulled hamstring earlier this year. He's turning 34 and is totally an upper body swinger at this stage.

DJ - turning 35 has been plagued with injuries the last 3 years including the big toe injury which has bothered him for the last year. Long way from hitting .368 in 2020.

Donaldson - 37 years old, pulled hamstring this year, hitting .146.

Rizzo - about to turn 34 hasn't hit a HR in 38 straight games since he hurt his neck. Also has chronic back issues.

Lineup has to get younger. Bader and Volpe are a start. Gleyber is OK but is not a smart player, I'd look to trade him in the offseason to open up a spot for Peraza. Need a good all-around Outfielder. Will be interesting to see what Cashman does at the deadline.

Matt Blake has done a great job with the pitching staff all throughout the organization. The hitting has to catch up.

Reactions: Halldan1

Back to the original premise of this thread. I’m watching today’s game German is pitching great has given up 1 hit and is at 74 pitches he walks the lead off batter, and Boone takes him out, 5 batters and 2 relief pitchers later, game tied. Why is he out ! I don’t care if it’s Boone or the analytics team, these stupid decisions have to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT