ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Boone Does It Again

I didn't notice the pitch count when he got pulled, but in Boone's defense, if Torres converts a can-of-corn inning ending double play the Yanks are out of it without giving up a run.

You are right there was an error, but that’s not my point. Except for one pitch that went for a home run, German was in complete control and had the Cubs baffled all day including 9 strikeouts. There was no reason for him to come out at 74 pitches.

Reactions: PirateFan94
You are right there was an error, but that’s not my point. Except for one pitch that went for a home run, German was in complete control and had the Cubs baffled all day including 9 strikeouts. There was no reason for him to come out at 74 pitches.
I’m not disagreeing with you. But # of pitches really doesn’t mean anything to them

I don’t think Boone is good but this Yankees roster without Judge, Rodon, Montas, & Cortes for long stretches sucks.
Ironically 3 of the players you list are pitchers, but scoring runs has been their bigger problem…although Judge as the one position player is obviously a big one!

How about the fact he was pitching great
That would be “results” again I don’t think you guys understand

I agree with all of you but you’re just way off on what they are doing

It won’t change as long as cashman is there and from what I’ve heard they literally adore/love him

You don’t remove a pitcher who threw only 75 pitches, allowed only 1 hit, ant struck out 9 in 6 innings when leading 4-1. Horrible coaching once again! Boone has to go.

It's an organizational philosophy that starts with Cashman. They have a strong pen and use the numbers that show a fresh, powerful reliever is statisticaly more effective over a back-end starter facing the batter for the 3rd time.

Most of us believe they rely far too much on the numbers and need to incorporate a bit more baseball experience but replacing Boone won't change things. Cashman sets the Baseball Operational strategy which gives a lot of weight to the Analytical Department. Cashman signs the players and hires the managers. If Boone was fired, Cashman would bring in someone else who will follow the team strategy.

There was some hope that hiring veteran GMs Brian Sabean and Omar Minaya to front office positions that the organization was trying to be more balanced but Cashman maintains they have always been balanced.

Yanks just fired their hitting coach. First time in Cashman's 26 years as GM that he's replaced a coach during a season.

Last edited:
Yanks just fired their hitting coach. First time in Cashman's 26 years as GM that he's replaced a coach during a season.
Yeah sacrificial lamb. Cash and Boone need to go. Their “philosophy” On when to take out pitchers and how to build a lineup with .230 team batting average has to end. Build a damn run instead of relying on home runs. You’ll win 90+ games the way they’re doing it but won’t win a championship again until we have guys who can hit situationally and can hit for average.

BTW i haven’t and won’t watch another Yankee game until they’re gone. I basically follow the box scores. The only games so really watch are SHU basketball, NY Giants football religiously, some Knicks games and Rangers Playoff hockey in occasion.

Yeah sacrificial lamb. Cash and Boone need to go. Their “philosophy” On when to take out pitchers and how to build a lineup with .230 team batting average has to end. Build a damn run instead of relying on home runs. You’ll win 90+ games the way they’re doing it but won’t win a championship again until we have guys who can hit situationally and can hit for average.

BTW i haven’t and won’t watch another Yankee game until they’re gone. I basically follow the box scores. The only games so really watch are SHU basketball, NY Giants football religiously, some Knicks games and Rangers Playoff hockey in occasion.
Again I agree with you but the Giants and every other NFL team are knee deep in analytics too

And I dont think cashman is even in any kind of warm water. Ownership adores him

And what most fans don’t realize is owners LOVE analytics and they sign the checks so i don’t think it’s really changing unless rules legislate parts of it out

It's an organizational philosophy that starts with Cashman. They have a strong pen and use the numbers that show a fresh, powerful reliever is statisticaly more effective over a back-end starter facing the batter for the 3rd time.

Most of us believe they rely far too much on the numbers and need to incorporate a bit more baseball experience but replacing Boone won't change things. Cashman sets the Baseball Operational strategy which gives a lot of weight to the Analytical Department. Cashman signs the players and hires the managers. If Boone was fired, Cashman would bring in someone else who will follow the team strategy.

There was some hope that hiring veteran GMs Brian Sabean and Omar Minaya to front office positions that the organization was trying to be more balanced but Cashman maintains they have always been balanced.
And it’s not just the Yanks who do this now. Most organizations do the exact same thing.

Reactions: Fishjam
Again I agree with you but the Giants and every other NFL team are knee deep in analytics too

And I dont think cashman is even in any kind of warm water. Ownership adores him

And what most fans don’t realize is owners LOVE analytics and they sign the checks so i don’t think it’s really changing unless rules legislate parts of it out
It’s not changing unless there is a blatant “market” inefficiency that teams decide to try and exploit. Like certain orgs are now valuing “contact” rate more than in prior years, it seems, believing the 3-true outcome approach to hitting has led to an inefficiency there, especially in the playoffs against the best pitching.

The feel is gone. It’s all mechanics and analytics. It’s no longer the game I loved it’s some strange version of it and the Yankees do it more than most, maybe anyone. Listen to Cashman speak; it tells you all you need to know. He talks like a futures analyst. The place is stale.

And that’s with Boone having like a .600 winning mark in the RS, making the playoffs every year. Yet he’s 14-17 there. No pulse, no feel.

It’s the same storyline every season.

Going for 1 or 2 point conversion in football is a lot different than pulling your starting pitcher when has given up 1 hit in the game. It’s similar to a Fb coach pulling the starting QB because he had a bad possession and missed a throw on 3rd and 5 with a guy open. Even that wouldn’t be as bad because in football you can put him back in. Baseball is such a feel game for a manager. The way Boone manages he doesn’t even need to watch the game. He can manage via gamecast. Absolutely ridiculous. The problem of ownership since George died doesn’t care about championships. They care about $$$. As long as they are making $ their happy as clams.

Going for 1 or 2 point conversion in football is a lot different than pulling your starting pitcher when has given up 1 hit in the game. It’s similar to a Fb coach pulling the starting QB because he had a bad possession and missed a throw on 3rd and 5 with a guy open. Even that wouldn’t be as bad because in football you can put him back in. Baseball is such a feel game for a manager. The way Boone manages he doesn’t even need to watch the game. He can manage via gamecast. Absolutely ridiculous. The problem of ownership since George died doesn’t care about championships. They care about $$$. As long as they are making $ they’re happy as clams.
The football analytics are way more than that but fair point

This isn’t only a Yankees thing though, although their analytics are top 2 in the sport

But it isn’t going anywhere owners love it

The football analytics are way more than that but fair point

This isn’t only a Yankees thing though, although their analytics are top 2 in the sport

But it isn’t going anywhere owners love it
And they see the teams that lean on it the most have continued success. Big market teams like the Dodgers and Yanks, but also mid-small market teams like Houston and the Rays.

Stanton, like many of the Yankees are past their prime and diminished by injuries. The game has changed immensely in the last 5 or so years. Pure stuff from pitchers has improved, each team carrying 8 relievers so you never face a guy more than twice.

Without Judge these 4 guys are being counted on for production and all are struggling.

Stanton - has had constant lower body injuries in his career including his pulled hamstring earlier this year. He's turning 34 and is totally an upper body swinger at this stage.

DJ - turning 35 has been plagued with injuries the last 3 years including the big toe injury which has bothered him for the last year. Long way from hitting .368 in 2020.

Donaldson - 37 years old, pulled hamstring this year, hitting .146.

Rizzo - about to turn 34 hasn't hit a HR in 38 straight games since he hurt his neck. Also has chronic back issues.

Lineup has to get younger. Bader and Volpe are a start. Gleyber is OK but is not a smart player, I'd look to trade him in the offseason to open up a spot for Peraza. Need a good all-around Outfielder. Will be interesting to see what Cashman does at the deadline.

Matt Blake has done a great job with the pitching staff all throughout the organization. The hitting has to catch up.
Injuries no doubt have played a part and yes some players are reaching their mid 30s and are becoming susceptible to injury. But is 33-34-35 a point in your career where you cannot perform at a high level anymore?

I have never seen so many high quality players drop of a cliff at the same time. Makes me wonder if their approach to hitting, concentrating on velocity and launch angle with no regard to situation or count is as much to blame as anything else.

Yes, every team now has multiple pitchers coming in from the bullpen throwing in excess of 98 MPH but that seems to be more an issue to the Yankee stars than most others in the league.

Makes me wonder if the batting coach will be the first domino to fall.

Back to the original premise of this thread. I’m watching today’s game German is pitching great has given up 1 hit and is at 74 pitches he walks the lead off batter, and Boone takes him out, 5 batters and 2 relief pitchers later, game tied. Why is he out ! I don’t care if it’s Boone or the analytics team, these stupid decisions have to stop.
How many times to I have to say it...Boone has absolutely no feel for what he sees and instead has his pregame plan based on a computer analysis dictate his moves.

The Yankees have never had a manager lose more games per season than this guy. I was never a big fan of George Steinbrenner when he was alive, but rest assured Boone would not have survived more than one year under his ownership.

Believe me or not but I just saw this now.

Yankees fire hitting coach Dillon Lawson as Brian Cashman makes first in-season change​

By Greg Joyce

Dillon Lawson is taking the fall for the Yankees’ first-half offensive struggles.

The Yankees fired Lawson, their second-year hitting coach, Sunday night after heading into the All-Star break with a 7-4 loss to the Cubs in The Bronx.

Lawson, 38, became the first coach or manager that general manager Brian Cashman has fired in-season during his 26-year tenure.

Cashman said he was not fully comfortable with having to make the decision in the middle of the season, but felt the Yankees would be best served by having a “different messenger.”

The team had not yet offered the job to anyone else, Cashman said, but he will go outside of the organization to replace Lawson as the top hitting coach and hopes to have the person in place by the time the Yankees open the second half on Friday in Colorado.

Assistants Casey Dykes and Brad Wilkerson will remain on the staff.

Our offense has struggled mightily, more so than I can recall,” Cashman said Sunday night on a Zoom call. “The team that we have, in fairness to Dillon, we have had some injuries without a doubt, but collectively we’ve really struggled. I feel like we’re best served kind of changing things up a little bit as we move into the second half here.

“Once that second half starts, we have a short window to try to re-achieve all of our capabilities, including good health. I feel like finding somebody else to take that top seat on the offensive side is going to be in our best interest as I problem-solve with our entire operation.”

The Yankees entered the break 49-42, looking like a shell of themselves since Aaron Judge went down with a sprained right big toe on June 3 at Dodger Stadium.

But their lineup’s performance was inconsistent even before Judge went on the injured list for the second time this season, and since then, most of the Yankees’ veteran bats — including DJ LeMahieu, Giancarlo Stanton and Anthony Rizzo — have largely gone silent.

Through Sunday’s games, the Yankees’ offense ranked 21st in OPS (.710), 28th in batting average (.231), 26th in on-base percentage (.300) and 19th in runs (400).

The anemic offensive performance showed up again on Friday, when the Yankees were two-hit by a struggling Jameson Taillon and the Cubs.

Then on Saturday, Cashman broached the idea of dismissing Lawson with Hal Steinbrenner and got his blessing before speaking with Boone about it on Sunday morning.

They decided to deliver the news to Lawson after Sunday’s game, after most players had left Yankee Stadium, though manager Boone spoke to Judge, the captain, to give him a heads-up.

“Ultimately the end results are not that Yankee DNA that we’re used to seeing,” Cashman said. “For anybody that’s played golf … you can [hear] a number of different people say the certain thing that ails you individually, but then one person says it in a way that the light bulbs go on and things click in and all of a sudden, you find nirvana. That’s ultimately what I’m looking at right now.

“I feel like we have a lot more potential than we’ve shown, injuries notwithstanding. We’ve gone now for a long period of struggles, but I think our philosophy per se is get guys on base, slug and dominate a lot of those categories, which ultimately lead to usually a lot of runs scored. But we’re far too many times putting too much pressure on our pitching by playing way too many low-runs-scored games.”

Lawson, who spent 2019-2021 as the Yankees’ minor league hitting coordinator, came through the organization preaching the mantra “Hit Strikes Hard.”

The Yankees are among the league leaders this season in average exit velocity, but that failed to translate into offensive production.

By the middle of June, the Yankees’ widespread struggles had turned the spotlight on Lawson.

He was brought out to speak to reporters in between games of a doubleheader at Fenway Park on June 18, insisting he and his staff were turning over every rock to fix the issues.

But time ran out, with Cashman using the All-Star break as a reset in hopes of giving the Yankees a second-half boost as they try to reclaim a playoff spot.

“It’s a blame game I guess and I can’t run from that if I’m making a change,” Cashman said. “But I also don’t want to blame Dillon completely, even though I’m making a change. I just feel like the job that I have, I have to make a decision here in this particular case at this particular time. I feel like our crew has a chance to be better for it. It doesn’t mean it will be better for it. But I have to try to see if it will be better for it.”

It was time for Lawson to go but the organization has rot in its foundation. This is the 3rd hitting coach in 3 years, clearly the issues go above that position.

Never been more boring to be a Yankees fan. I tuned out from watching games this year, they keep trying the same things over and over that don’t work. I’m tired of it.

Should fire Cashman and Boone and give Theo Epstein a blank check but that won’t happen. Hal is only concerned with P & L’s.

Injuries no doubt have played a part and yes some players are reaching their mid 30s and are becoming susceptible to injury. But is 33-34-35 a point in your career where you cannot perform at a high level anymore?

I have never seen so many high quality players drop of a cliff at the same time. Makes me wonder if their approach to hitting, concentrating on velocity and launch angle with no regard to situation or count is as much to blame as anything else.

Yes, every team now has multiple pitchers coming in from the bullpen throwing in excess of 98 MPH but that seems to be more an issue to the Yankee stars than most others in the league.

For show only. Sacrificial lamb and he knows that, it’s the game. There isn’t a hitting (or pitching coach) in the mlb that teaches anything and that includes approach. That won’t change they’ll just promote another guy with slightly different verbiage. Maybe it works

Yankees problem is they don’t have good players. With the outlawing of amphetamines the game has become increasingly younger and the Yankees can’t get young players

If you want to blame their analytics on anything it’s the destruction it’s done to their drafting and player development. And it has nothing to do with the actual analytics it what it does to organizations

Volpe is a classic example. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a decent player but idk he looks like he cannot play and he is SMALL and robotic looking and yankee “scouting” built him up to be the second coming…happens a lot

The Yankees roster (taking into account injuries) is worse than their record. 49-42 is impressive given the ragtag lineup they trot out on a nightly basis and their mediocre starting pitching besides Cole. I'm not a Yankees fan but I'm not sure there's a manager out there that stretches 49-42 into anything significantly better.

He's given a plan before the game re strategy and he follows that plan regardless of what he sees.
But sometimes it helps to simply trust your eyes. And the fact is that if German wasn’t quite as on-point as he’d been in Oakland two weeks ago, he was still awfully good.

He faced the minimum across the first four innings, allowed zero hits. He was still sitting on one hit allowed — and 74 pitches, with the Cubs looking utterly helpless — when he walked Ian Happ leading off the seventh.

Out of the dugout came Boone. Out of the game came German.

Believe me or not but I just saw this now.

Yankees fire hitting coach Dillon Lawson as Brian Cashman makes first in-season change​

By Greg Joyce

Dillon Lawson is taking the fall for the Yankees’ first-half offensive struggles.

The Yankees fired Lawson, their second-year hitting coach, Sunday night after heading into the All-Star break with a 7-4 loss to the Cubs in The Bronx.

Lawson, 38, became the first coach or manager that general manager Brian Cashman has fired in-season during his 26-year tenure.

Cashman said he was not fully comfortable with having to make the decision in the middle of the season, but felt the Yankees would be best served by having a “different messenger.”

The team had not yet offered the job to anyone else, Cashman said, but he will go outside of the organization to replace Lawson as the top hitting coach and hopes to have the person in place by the time the Yankees open the second half on Friday in Colorado.

Assistants Casey Dykes and Brad Wilkerson will remain on the staff.

Our offense has struggled mightily, more so than I can recall,” Cashman said Sunday night on a Zoom call. “The team that we have, in fairness to Dillon, we have had some injuries without a doubt, but collectively we’ve really struggled. I feel like we’re best served kind of changing things up a little bit as we move into the second half here.

“Once that second half starts, we have a short window to try to re-achieve all of our capabilities, including good health. I feel like finding somebody else to take that top seat on the offensive side is going to be in our best interest as I problem-solve with our entire operation.”

The Yankees entered the break 49-42, looking like a shell of themselves since Aaron Judge went down with a sprained right big toe on June 3 at Dodger Stadium.

But their lineup’s performance was inconsistent even before Judge went on the injured list for the second time this season, and since then, most of the Yankees’ veteran bats — including DJ LeMahieu, Giancarlo Stanton and Anthony Rizzo — have largely gone silent.

Through Sunday’s games, the Yankees’ offense ranked 21st in OPS (.710), 28th in batting average (.231), 26th in on-base percentage (.300) and 19th in runs (400).

The anemic offensive performance showed up again on Friday, when the Yankees were two-hit by a struggling Jameson Taillon and the Cubs.

Then on Saturday, Cashman broached the idea of dismissing Lawson with Hal Steinbrenner and got his blessing before speaking with Boone about it on Sunday morning.

They decided to deliver the news to Lawson after Sunday’s game, after most players had left Yankee Stadium, though manager Boone spoke to Judge, the captain, to give him a heads-up.

“Ultimately the end results are not that Yankee DNA that we’re used to seeing,” Cashman said. “For anybody that’s played golf … you can [hear] a number of different people say the certain thing that ails you individually, but then one person says it in a way that the light bulbs go on and things click in and all of a sudden, you find nirvana. That’s ultimately what I’m looking at right now.

“I feel like we have a lot more potential than we’ve shown, injuries notwithstanding. We’ve gone now for a long period of struggles, but I think our philosophy per se is get guys on base, slug and dominate a lot of those categories, which ultimately lead to usually a lot of runs scored. But we’re far too many times putting too much pressure on our pitching by playing way too many low-runs-scored games.”

Lawson, who spent 2019-2021 as the Yankees’ minor league hitting coordinator, came through the organization preaching the mantra “Hit Strikes Hard.”

The Yankees are among the league leaders this season in average exit velocity, but that failed to translate into offensive production.

By the middle of June, the Yankees’ widespread struggles had turned the spotlight on Lawson.

He was brought out to speak to reporters in between games of a doubleheader at Fenway Park on June 18, insisting he and his staff were turning over every rock to fix the issues.

But time ran out, with Cashman using the All-Star break as a reset in hopes of giving the Yankees a second-half boost as they try to reclaim a playoff spot.

“It’s a blame game I guess and I can’t run from that if I’m making a change,” Cashman said. “But I also don’t want to blame Dillon completely, even though I’m making a change. I just feel like the job that I have, I have to make a decision here in this particular case at this particular time. I feel like our crew has a chance to be better for it. It doesn’t mean it will be better for it. But I have to try to see if it will be better for it.”
This is nothing but a let’s make a change to show the fan base we’re doing something.

At least they realize somethings wrong.
Just not according to Boone.

At least they realize somethings wrong.
Just not according to Boone.
He’s a scapegoat… nothing more. Cashman need to look in the mirror and see that he’s build a team of .220 hitters. No hitting coach is fixing that.

Devil's advocate on why this was more of a by the book move than you might think.

German has averaged 81 pitches per start and his season high is 99 (done twice). The walk to Happ was German's second in five batters. Behind Happ was Seiya Suzuki who had homered in his previous at-bat (that plays into this as well as you'll see below).

Yes, he probably had more in the tank but keep in mind the sixth had been his most stressful inning because of the leadoff walk. Plus, the bottom of the sixth was a long inning which also featured a pitching change. Finally, German's third time through the order splits likely came into play.

Opponents do not have appreciably more success against German as the line-up cycles. His BA against is .204 the first time through, .189 the second time through and .211 the third.

The problem is he's prone to the long-ball as he gets deeper into games. He's allowed six HR in 71 at bats, the third time through the line-up as opposed to five in 137 ABs the first time and five in 127 ABs the second time.

He's allowed 15 hits in those 71 at bats but nine (60%) go for extra bases as compared to 12 and 11 extra base hits the first two times through the order respectively.

The best part of all of this. If Boone leaves German in the game, and he eventually gives up a three-run jack to tie the game, everyone would complaining Boone should have pulled him.

He’s a scapegoat… nothing more. Cashman need to look in the mirror and see that he’s build a team of .220 hitters. No hitting coach is fixing that.
You guys have referenced BA multiple times in this thread…it isn’t even on their radar

You can go to hitters meetings for the rest of the year and probably not even hear they term brought up once

And that’s not just the Yankees

Devil's advocate on why this was more of a by the book move than you might think.

German has averaged 81 pitches per start and his season high is 99 (done twice). The walk to Happ was German's second in five batters. Behind Happ was Seiya Suzuki who had homered in his previous at-bat (that plays into this as well as you'll see below).

Yes, he probably had more in the tank but keep in mind the sixth had been his most stressful inning because of the leadoff walk. Plus, the bottom of the sixth was a long inning which also featured a pitching change. Finally, German's third time through the order splits likely came into play.

Opponents do not have appreciably more success against German as the line-up cycles. His BA against is .204 the first time through, .189 the second time through and .211 the third.

The problem is he's prone to the long-ball as he gets deeper into games. He's allowed six HR in 71 at bats, the third time through the line-up as opposed to five in 137 ABs the first time and five in 127 ABs the second time.

He's allowed 15 hits in those 71 at bats but nine (60%) go for extra bases as compared to 12 and 11 extra base hits the first two times through the order respectively.

The best part of all of this. If Boone leaves German in the game, and he eventually gives up a three-run jack to tie the game, everyone would complaining Boone should have pulled him.
If you listened to his post game too you’ll get insight to how they operate

He said he got a fly ball and a ground ball

That’s code for “my” decision was correct and I will continue to do it everytime

You guys have referenced BA multiple times in this thread…it isn’t even on their radar

You can go to hitters meetings for the rest of the year and probably not even hear they term brought up once

And that’s not just the Yankees
Right, the new-age thinking does not care much about Batting Average or RBIs as a pure "counting stat".

I do think certain orgs are going more towards a "contact-oriented" approach, at least to some extent, which goes hand-in-hand with batting average in many cases. Although not all. I've read some articles about teams seeking to pursue that as a philosophy or through drafting/scouting and player acquisition perhaps more than a few years ago as the sport has shifted so much towards the 3 true outcomes scenario.

Right, the new-age thinking does not care much about Batting Average or RBIs as a pure "counting stat".

I do think certain orgs are going more towards a "contact-oriented" approach, at least to some extent, which goes hand-in-hand with batting average in many cases. Although not all. I've read some articles about teams seeking to pursue that as a philosophy or through drafting/scouting and player acquisition perhaps more than a few years ago as the sport has shifted so much towards the 3 true outcomes scenario.
Lol who’s scouting..that’s part of the problem

Reactions: Burnsly

The first real eye opener for me was Texeira. He was a .300 hitter when he arrived in NY but after 1 year his average plummeted. The shift definitely had something to do with it but only because his approach changed & he tried to pull everything from both sides of the plate.

I remember when the Yankees tried to change Jeter's swing. He gave it a month & then politely told them no way.

Reactions: Piratz
That would be “results” again I don’t think you guys understand

I agree with all of you but you’re just way off on what they are doing

It won’t change as long as cashman is there and from what I’ve heard they literally adore/
Yanks just fired their hitting coach. First time in Cashman's 26 years as GM that he's replaced a coach during a seas

Literally will not change a thing nor teach a thing to any player

Might use different words..maybe some players will connect to it more and it works
It’s about “changing the voice” I guess, with a guy who happens to be a baseball lifer, was a good hitter and is an enormously likeable guy. Used to be called “the mayor” when he played because of his non-stop conversations at 1b. Sometimes it’s as simple as a different voice helping. And he obviously knows some stuff about hitting too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT