ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Boone Does It Again

I've never been a fan of analytics. Stop overthinking & fill your roster with guys that can pitch to a low era, hit for avg. & drive in runs.

For those saying avg. no longer matters, I beg to differ.

AMERICAN LEAGUE - League average .245

C: Jonah Heim (TEX) - .282
1B: Yandy Díaz (TB) - .323
2B: Marcus Semien (TEX) - .271
3B: Josh Jung (TEX) - .280
SS: Corey Seager (TEX) - .353
OF: Adolis García (TEX) - .261 (75 RBI)
OF: Randy Arozarena (TB) - .279
OF: Austin Hays (BAL) - .314
DH: Shohei Ohtani (LAA) - .302

NATIONAL LEAGUE - .251

C: Sean Murphy (ATL) - .306
1B: Freddie Freeman (LAD) - .320
2B: Luis Arraez (MIA) - .383
3B: Nolan Arenado (STL) - .283
SS: Orlando Arcia (ATL) - .294
OF: Ronald Acuña Jr. (ATL) - .331
OF: Mookie Betts (LAD) - .276
OF: Corbin Carroll (AZ) - .289
DH: J.D. Martinez (LAD) - .255 (62RBI)
I don’t think anyone said it “doesn’t matter”

But

I will tell you inside the game the phrase doesn’t come up once and not one GM or asst GM will rattle off that number in evaluation one time. And that’s all mlb teams..it literally doesn’t come up..sorry

The #1 change over the past 15 years is the teaching and understanding of spin/mechanics and biometrics of throwing

The velocity and spin and movement generated by todays pitchers is totally new PLUS they are trained (most likely incorrectly) to max out on every pitch which is why they get hurt non stop.
From a hitter’s perspective, the spin is back spin on the swing thus getting more loft and having it carry more. Hitting instructors at private facilities have been doing that for 15 years nearly. They have the technology to actually measure the backspin rate.

And it isn’t “most likely” incorrect regarding pitching mechanics, it’s absolutely incorrect. Nearly every coach at the junior high and high school levels that have the talented kids are in no way going to change their mechanics. Too much fear of losing velocity even when the kids have major shoulder, hip and rib cage immobility.

I’m hoping some of these well researched institutes that focus on body and joint control continue to reach young players before they get to professional levels.

From a hitter’s perspective, the spin is back spin on the swing thus getting more loft and having it carry more. Hitting instructors at private facilities have been doing that for 15 years nearly. They have the technology to actually measure the backspin rate.

And it isn’t “most likely” incorrect regarding pitching mechanics, it’s absolutely incorrect. Nearly every coach at the junior high and high school levels that have the talented kids are in no way going to change their mechanics. Too much fear of losing velocity even when the kids have major shoulder, hip and rib cage immobility.

I’m hoping some of these well researched institutes that focus on body and joint control continue to reach young players before they get to professional levels.
I was talking about pitching but yes you are correct

There is a lot of talk in circles too with the mlb becoming more and more international how bad our system is/has become

Including instruction, approach and travel system

Many in the Japanese system openly mock how we do things at the youth level..whether theyre right is up for debate I guess

Reactions: dehere23
The mid-late 90s and early 00s Yanks (basically first WS v Braves through Gonzalez’s dunker over the infield) absolutely had payroll advantages. But they were great because via the farm system they developed a core in or around that time of HOF or the tier below HOF players at key positions: CF, SS, C, lefty starter and closer. Tell any org today they are going to have all-stars or better come up in those slots at the exact same time and the expectations will be a decades worth of high level success.
1000%. Previous poster was claiming this team was on Massive amounts of steroids.

1000%. Previous poster was claiming this team was on Massive amounts of steroids.
Lol they were. Except MAYBE the 96 team everyone inside the game knows this. However much of the league was if you want to argue that

Also, those Yankees teams were using simple analytics as well. One of the reasons my dad was fired the first time from NYY

Your better argument should have been the 2010 SF giants teams

Stick to the blaming Willard for everything including the Kennedy assassination threads.

Lol they were. Except MAYBE the 96 team everyone inside the game knows this. However much of the league was if you want to argue that

Also, those Yankees teams were using simple analytics as well. One of the reasons my dad was fired the first time from NYY

Stick to the blaming Willard for everything including the Kennedy assassination threads.
Ok, who was on Steroids in '97,'98,'99? The rumors started in 2000 season where Clemmons had a bounceback, Canseco was on the team, Glen Alan Hill, etc.

You want to ignore batting average yet the those teams , '98 for example had a team BA of .288 with 10 players hitting 10 or more HR. The team struck out a total of 1025 times for the season.

By comparison, last season the team had a .237 BA and struck out clost to 1500 times. (This season is worse).

I'm not saying you can't use analytics but you can't rely on them solely when making in game decisions. You also can't build your team based on what they believe are value analytics like home runs.

Ok, who was on Steroids in '97,'98,'99? The rumors started in 2000 season where Clemmons had a bounceback, Canseco was on the team, Glen Alan Hill, etc.

You want to ignore batting average yet the those teams , '98 for example had a team BA of .288 with 10 players hitting 10 or more HR. The team struck out a total of 1025 times for the season.

By comparison, last season the team had a .237 BA and struck out clost to 1500 times. (This season is worse).

I'm not saying you can't use analytics but you can't rely on them solely when making in game decisions. You also can't build your team based on what they believe are value analytics like home runs.
You think steroids started with the Yankees in 2000?!
Knoblach? Clemons? Ledee? Pettite? Spender? Curtis? Etc etc

Building on analytics worked for the astros pretty well. They have better players

You guys with the BA lol. Let me really get debate going. I would say very confidently most of the baseball management in 2023 would argue Gwynn never had a better 5 years as a padre than Machados 5 years as a padre and that DOESNT include defense defense (which Machado also would be better) because different positions..what do you guys feel about that ha

I’ve read the same thing on the use of simply analytics or Moneyball-type stuff being used as part of the mid-late 80s A’s and creation of the mid/late 90s Yanks. Gene Michael valuing certain things before it got all the public attention and was called “analytics” outside the industry.

Reactions: williaza01
I’ve read the same thing on the use of simply analytics or Moneyball-type stuff being used as part of the mid-late 80s A’s and creation of the mid/late 90s Yanks. Gene Michael valuing certain things before it got all the public attention and was called “analytics” outside the industry.
Sandy Alderson and Tony LaRussa and their lawyer minds are the ones that really followed Bill James and his theories in the early and mid 80’s.

Alderson effectively invented the 1-inning closer role with Eckersley. He had a 4-5 year run of one of the most dominant closer runs ever from ‘88-92.

Sandy Alderson and Tony LaRussa and their lawyer minds are the ones that really followed Bill James and his theories in the early and mid 80’s.

Alderson effectively invented the 1-inning closer role with Eckersley. He had a 4-5 year run of one of the most dominant closer runs ever from ‘88-92.
Yup. And with those teams they were big on platoon switches (position players and relievers), OBP, things like that. All of which became part of the "moneyball" and "analytics" movement. I've read stuff that Earl Weaver was also doing this stuff years ago before it became called "simple analytics" and even Casey Stengel before him on a much smaller, less technical/scientific scale.

Analytics is a vague term. Of course every team is looking at analytics. Why are the Braves, Dodgers, Rays and Astros better than the Yankees? Why are the Yankees not the premier team when it comes to analytics? Why can’t they develop talent?

Cashman Cashman Cashman. Hal putting a freaking insurance company on the jersey for $25 mil seals my ambivalence towards them. He has no pulse on the fanbase, doesn’t care, maybe both? They aren’t winning again for a long time.

Reactions: SetonHallPirates
Analytics is a vague term. Of course every team is looking at analytics. Why are the Braves, Dodgers, Rays and Astros better than the Yankees? Why are the Yankees not the premier team when it comes to analytics? Why can’t they develop talent?

Cashman Cashman Cashman. Hal putting a freaking insurance company on the jersey for $25 mil seals my ambivalence towards them. He has no pulse on the fanbase, doesn’t care, maybe both? They aren’t winning again for a long time.
They don’t have good players..their development is bad.

In their defense though why are the Rays and Braves better? What have they won? They Yankees have been successful just No Championships

Probably has more to do with they no longer have an extreme payroll advantage over the rest of mlb

They don’t have good players..their development is bad.

In their defense though why are the Rays and Braves better? What have they won? They Yankees have been successful just No Championships

Probably has more to do with they no longer have an extreme payroll advantage over the rest of mlb
I think that is part of it. There is also something to the randomness of winning a WS. I think it is telling to some degree the Yanks haven't won since 2009, but it is hard to do what the Yanks did in the late 90s/early 00s winning all those titles in a row.
I believe in the law of averages, too. Yanks have been good for 30 years. No one else has consistently been like that. The closest they came to rebuilding and bottoming out were a few teams late/post Jeter which one mid-80s games. At some point there will be a down period.

Building on analytics worked for the astros pretty well. They have better players

You guys with the BA lol. Let me really get debate going. I would say very confidently most of the baseball management in 2023 would argue Gwynn never had a better 5 years as a padre than Machados 5 years as a padre and that DOESNT include defense defense (which Machado also would be better) because different positions..what do you guys feel about that ha
Ridiculous example between Gwynn

Ridiculous example comparing Gwynn and Mochado. Gwynn was a slap hitting lead off guy. With .340 BA and very little power. Mochado is a 30 hr guy add has batted .280 for his career not .210. He only strikes out just over 100 per year Yankees strike out at an alarming rate.

Ridiculous example between Gwynn

Ridiculous example comparing Gwynn and Mochado. Gwynn was a slap hitting lead off guy. With .340 BA and very little power. Mochado is a 30 hr guy add has batted .280 for his career not .210. He only strikes out just over 100 per year Yankees strike out at an alarming rate.
Ok you don’t get it.

Keith Hernandez simplified all this stuff for me as far as hitting goes. To him, only two stats make a difference: RBIs and Runs Scored.

Keith Hernandez simplified all this stuff for me as far as hitting goes. To him, only two stats make a difference: RBIs and Runs Scored.

With the former, you're dependent on the guys in front of you. With the latter, the guys behind you. I'd much rather see based on his opportunities, how often does batter get the guy in from third with less than two outs? Based on opportunities, how often do you get a hit ormake a productive out to move a runner up? OBP.

LOL, not if you’re a Yankee fan
Was always a die hard Yankee Fan. I'm now at the point where if they score more than 4 runs a game, I consider it a success. Feel bad for Cole. Along with no run support in many games, the bullpen has cost him a few more W's.

I wonder if he's looking to get out. Yanks are old & stale from the roster to the coaching staff to the front office.

I remember when Allie Reynolds pitched a complete game in the first game of a double header & then came back to pitch 7 innings in relief in the second game/ So much for pitch counts. when A

With the former, you're dependent on the guys in front of you. With the latter, the guys behind you. I'd much rather see based on his opportunities, how often does batter get the guy in from third with less than two outs? Based on opportunities, how often do you get a hit ormake a productive out to move a runner up? OBP.
But RBIs and Runs Scored encompass all the things you mention. If you score a lot of runs it means you have a high OBP, be it by BA, walks, whatever. If you have a lot of RBIs it means you hit them in important situations regardless of BA. It doesn’t mean other stuff isn’t important but those two are the clearest measure of how important a player is to a team.

As an Angel fan I would like to thank Aaron Boone for pitching to Ohtani in the 7th inning last night . The third straight game Ohtani has hit a late inning home run . 2 innings earlier Boone had walked Ohtani with men on first and third .

Was always a die hard Yankee Fan. I'm now at the point where if they score more than 4 runs a game, I consider it a success. Feel bad for Cole. Along with no run support in many games, the bullpen has cost him a few more W's.

I wonder if he's looking to get out. Yanks are old & stale from the roster to the coaching staff to the front
As an Angel fan I would like to thank Aaron Boone for pitching to Ohtani in the 7th inning last night . The third straight game Ohtani has hit a late inning home run . 2 innings earlier Boone had walked Ohtani with men on first and third .
That’s our Aaron

Why Aaron Boone chose not to walk Shohei Ohtani before crushing home run​

By Belle Fraser

Aaron Boone has no regrets.

The Yankees manager explained his thinking behind the decision to pitch to two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani during a critical seventh-inning at-bat on Monday.

The manager said he didn’t even consider walking Ohtani in the bottom of the seventh as the Yankees tried to protect a 3-1 lead that the Angels star erased with a two-run homer.

“No, no,” Boone responded when asked if walking Ohtani before the game-tying blast was an option.

“Maybe if he had gotten to second base and fallen behind in the count or something, but not there.”

Eduardo Escobar was on first base and Mike King was ahead in the count 1-2 before Ohtani ripped a shot over the fence in left-center.

“When we have a two-run lead there [in the seventh] — the guy hitting behind him [Mickey Moniak] is hitting .330, too,” Boone said.

“So I wasn’t gonna put another runner out at second and the tying run on and the go-ahead run at the plate with a two-run lead. Now had [Escobar] gotten to second and we were behind in the count or something, different story. But no, not in that [spot].”

Ohtani’s homer was his MLB-leading 35th of the season — and he punctuated it with an out-of-character bat flip.

“It was the most emotion I’ve seen on the field I’ve seen from him,” Angels manager Phil Nevin said, according to MLB.

“It was awesome. Just an incredible deal there. When your superstar steps up in moments like that and something like that happens, it’s not only what it does for the whole place but what it does for the dugout.”

According to MLB, over the last 28 games Ohtani has recorded as many homers in the seventh inning or later as any other major player has hit total since June 12.

The Yankees ultimately fell 4-3 in the tenth inning, which followed Sunday’s collapse against the Rockies.

Boone’s squad has dropped seven of its last nine contests and sit last in the AL East with a 50-45 record.

The trade market’s biggest name has logged homers in three consecutive games and is slashing .306/.391/.677 this season.

The Yankees had intentionally walked Ohtani in the fifth inning in his previous at-bat.

That came with runners on first and third and two outs.

Yankees starter Luis Severino got Moniak to line out to right to end the threat and keep the game scoreless.

“I wish it wasn’t at my expense, but he’s an incredible hitter,” King said.

“We knew, as a team, that we didn’t want him to be the one to beat us. Unfortunately, I got greedy in a two-strike count and tried to make a better pitch than I needed to.”

Aaron Boone doesn’t hold back on Yankees’ struggles: ‘We stink right now’​

By Greg Joyce

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Aaron Boone called it straight after the Yankees’ latest loss on Wednesday.

“We stink right now. We acknowledge that,” Boone said after a 7-3 loss to the Angels put a fitting cap on a 1-5 road trip to start the second half of the season.

The loss was the Yankees’ ninth in their last 11 games, coming during a larger stretch in which their offense has been brutal.

In Wednesday’s series finale, the Yankees struck out 16 times, making it a total of 42 punchouts across the three-game series against the Angels.

Boone was asked what his message was to his team before they headed back home.

Acknowledge where we are, which is we’re not very good right now,” Boone said. “We understand that. Certainly this is a low point for us.

“The silver lining in it all is it is in front of us and we control that and we understand that.”

Carlos Rodon also had a hand in Wednesday’s loss, giving up six runs across 4 ⅓ innings and blowing a kiss to a chirping fan behind the Yankees dugout after the second inning.

“We’re not in a good place as a team right now,” Boone said.

“We’re not playing anywhere near the ball we need to be able to play to put ourselves in a good position at the end of the season, but understanding that we are in the fight and we need to continue to stay in the fight.”

If all else is the same the 400 hitter gets more of both than the 220 hitter. Obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT