ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Boone Does It Again

It’s about “changing the voice” I guess, with a guy who happens to be a baseball lifer, was a good hitter and is an enormously likeable guy. Used to be called “the mayor” when he played because of his non-stop conversations at 1b. Sometimes it’s as simple as a different voice helping. And he obviously knows some stuff about hitting too.
The job is to get the coach to simply get the players to buy into the analytics that’s it

They don’t teach, his “knowledge” means nothing

He’s likeable and played in majors. They think the words he uses will reach players. The concept will be exactly the same he will just use different words..literally

The job is to get the coach to simply get the players to buy into the analytics that’s it

They don’t teach, his “knowledge” means nothing

He’s likeable and played in majors. They think the words he uses will reach players. The concept will be exactly the same he will just use different words..literally
No I get that and agree with you. But maybe he seems something - a mechanical tweak or whatever - or just it coming from him with his experience helps a particular veteran. But yes I know it is most likely inconsequential.

You guys have referenced BA multiple times in this thread…it isn’t even on their radar

You can go to hitters meetings for the rest of the year and probably not even hear they term brought up once

And that’s not just the Yankees
Is also why they are losing viewers. It’s painful to watch.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Devil's advocate on why this was more of a by the book move than you might think.

German has averaged 81 pitches per start and his season high is 99 (done twice). The walk to Happ was German's second in five batters. Behind Happ was Seiya Suzuki who had homered in his previous at-bat (that plays into this as well as you'll see below).

Yes, he probably had more in the tank but keep in mind the sixth had been his most stressful inning because of the leadoff walk. Plus, the bottom of the sixth was a long inning which also featured a pitching change. Finally, German's third time through the order splits likely came into play.

Opponents do not have appreciably more success against German as the line-up cycles. His BA against is .204 the first time through, .189 the second time through and .211 the third.

The problem is he's prone to the long-ball as he gets deeper into games. He's allowed six HR in 71 at bats, the third time through the line-up as opposed to five in 137 ABs the first time and five in 127 ABs the second time.

He's allowed 15 hits in those 71 at bats but nine (60%) go for extra bases as compared to 12 and 11 extra base hits the first two times through the order respectively.

The best part of all of this. If Boone leaves German in the game, and he eventually gives up a three-run jack to tie the game, everyone would complaining Boone should have pulled him.
Nope. I would not be upset a bit if he said I watched the game and really felt like he was in control. His stuff was good and had them guessing all game. THAT I could live with.

Who cares if the Yankees don't score runs anymore, their lineup still has one of the best exit velocities of any team in the league.

That's what the game has come to. Swing from your heels on most every pitch regardless of the count and situation. Style over substance.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: PirateFan94
Devil's advocate on why this was more of a by the book move than you might think.

German has averaged 81 pitches per start and his season high is 99 (done twice). The walk to Happ was German's second in five batters. Behind Happ was Seiya Suzuki who had homered in his previous at-bat (that plays into this as well as you'll see below).

Yes, he probably had more in the tank but keep in mind the sixth had been his most stressful inning because of the leadoff walk. Plus, the bottom of the sixth was a long inning which also featured a pitching change. Finally, German's third time through the order splits likely came into play.

Opponents do not have appreciably more success against German as the line-up cycles. His BA against is .204 the first time through, .189 the second time through and .211 the third.

The problem is he's prone to the long-ball as he gets deeper into games. He's allowed six HR in 71 at bats, the third time through the line-up as opposed to five in 137 ABs the first time and five in 127 ABs the second time.

He's allowed 15 hits in those 71 at bats but nine (60%) go for extra bases as compared to 12 and 11 extra base hits the first two times through the order respectively.

The best part of all of this. If Boone leaves German in the game, and he eventually gives up a three-run jack to tie the game, everyone would complaining Boone should have pulled him.

Thanks for the post. Interesting numbers behind the decision. At a basic level, either scenario (pulling him or leaving him in), probably results in a near equal chance of preventing the scoring run(s). I trust the stat nerds to figure out which choice is better. Personally, I prefer analytics over "feel" anyday, in any sport. Sure, a manager should have experience and needs to embrace the human aspect of managing personalities in the clubhouse but when it comes to split-hair decisions i want the math every single time.

Since the WSOP main event has been airing I must present this most-likely porous analogy from a losing poker player: If you get dealt AKhh (ace + king of hearts) and I have QQ (two queens) I can always call your all-in bet pre-flop with ~53.5% chance of winning. If i call the all-in bet and lose all my chips, I still played it correctly. You should call this bet every single time even though you are going to lose 46.5% of the time. When you lose you can curse the sky, you can blame yourself or you can at least be comfortable you made the "right" decision." Bad results are not equal to bad decisions, especially in baseball and poker.

No I get that and agree with you. But maybe he seems something - a mechanical tweak or whatever - or just it coming from him with his experience helps a particular veteran. But yes I know it is most likely inconsequential.
That’s my point

99.999999% of the time they will do nothing mechanical. That’s every coach on every team for a long, long time.

From my experience if a coach even tried to do anything mechanical he’d be fired pretty soon after

Hitting and pitching coaches jobs is to TRY to take the about 500 data points the analytics dept likes and explain it to the 22 year old kid.

He will literally change the phrase “attack up” to “get more depth” I’m simplifying but that’s basically it

Is also why they are losing viewers. It’s painful to watch.
They have one of the strongest regional viewerships of any team in any sport

Sports viewership in total is down because they can’t quantify stream/clips yet (but they will)

The Yankees are not worried about viewership

Who cares if the Yankees don't score runs anymore, their lineup still has one of the best exit velocities of any team in the league.

That's what the game has come to. Swing from your heels on most every pitch regardless of the count and situation. Style over substance.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You realize they would say literally the opposite. BA is style (and meaningless) exit velo is the substance.

Also the dodgers and Astros are equal in analytics and they seem to be fine…because they have better players

Also your concept isn’t new. Isn’t it your idol who said if he was just focused on singles he’d hit .400 but who cares..same idea

Finally the concept has been around for awhile behind closed doors. My dad would be around numerous big leaguers (some all star quality) that would rip on Pete rose all the time. Some of it was sour grapes but some legit. Easy to get the hits record when you play on astroturf 90% of your career and just obsess on hammering the ball into the ground

Now has it all gotten out of control..yes but it’s also not changing

You realize they would say literally the opposite. BA is style (and meaningless) exit velo is the substance.
To me results are substance. And you don't get results loading up on every swing in the hope that occasionally you'll launch a ball 450+ feet.

But if your goal (style) is to get on ESPN's top 10 as opposed to winning (substance) that is why for me watching baseball is no longer enjoyable.

It's the old saying that applies here to today's athletes, chicks dig the long ball.

To me results are substance. And you don't get results loading up on every swing in the hope that occasionally you'll launch a ball 450+ feet.

But if your goal (style) is to get on ESPN's top 10 as opposed to winning (substance) that is why for me watching baseball is no longer enjoyable.

It's the old saying that applies here to today's athletes, chicks dig the long ball
I mean the Yankees/dodgers/astros/rays win a lot of games not sure your point

Again none of these concepts are new..are they over the top..yes but not new

Yankees biggest problem is they don’t have an absurd payroll advantage anymore and they don’t have as good of players as the other top teams

Baseball had to change its rules because today's hitters were unwilling to deviate from their approach. IMO banning the shift was laughable. You want to beat the shift, try hitting to the opposite field.

Reactions: Seton75
Baseball had to change its rules because today's hitters were unwilling to deviate from their approach. IMO banning the shift was laughable. You want to beat the shift, try hitting to the opposite field.
Lol why do you think were “unwilling”

No.... this will be different...... he wants batters to control the zone....... why didn't I think of that?

I mean the Yankees/dodgers/astros/rays win a lot of games not sure your point

Again none of these concepts are new..are they over the top..yes but not new

Yankees biggest problem is they don’t have an absurd payroll advantage anymore and they don’t have as good of players as the other top teams
It stands to reason that for the most part teams with the largest payrolls will win the most games. But maximizing your potential is learning how to play properly and putting team goals over personal ones. And most athletes now seem to worry about their brand more than earning a ring.

That's why we often see a players in the 4th quarter of an NFL game intercepting a pass and going into a prolong ridiculous dance with his team down 3 touchdowns. It's now all about me as opposed to we.

It stands to reason that for the most part teams with the largest payrolls will win the most games. But maximizing your potential is learning how to play properly and putting teams goals over personal ones. And most athletes now seem to worry about their brand more than earning a ring.

That's why we often see a players in the 4th quarter of an NFL game intercepting a pass and going into a prolong ridiculous dance with his team down 3 touchdowns. It's now all about me as opposed to we.
Ok. Totally different argument but good point.

Don’t you think that has more to do with they are paid off of stats and are cut within seconds of injury or cap problems

Isn’t that the system the owners want?

Thanks for the post. Interesting numbers behind the decision. At a basic level, either scenario (pulling him or leaving him in), probably results in a near equal chance of preventing the scoring run(s). I trust the stat nerds to figure out which choice is better. Personally, I prefer analytics over "feel" anyday, in any sport. Sure, a manager should have experience and needs to embrace the human aspect of managing personalities in the clubhouse but when it comes to split-hair decisions i want the math every single time.

Since the WSOP main event has been airing I must present this most-likely porous analogy from a losing poker player: If you get dealt AKhh (ace + king of hearts) and I have QQ (two queens) I can always call your all-in bet pre-flop with ~53.5% chance of winning. If i call the all-in bet and lose all my chips, I still played it correctly. You should call this bet every single time even though you are going to lose 46.5% of the time. When you lose you can curse the sky, you can blame yourself or you can at least be comfortable you made the "right" decision." Bad results are not equal to bad decisions, especially in baseball and poker.
You're comparing a game of pure chance vs a game of skill and performance. You have a pitcher who has been dominant the entire game and has recently thrown a perfect game but becasue the numbers say it's time for a change you pull him and blow the game ignoring what your eyes are telling you in that the opposign team has not had success against this pitcher.

Also the dodgers and Astros are equal in analytics and they seem to be fine…because they have better players

Also your concept isn’t new. Isn’t it your idol who said if he was just focused on singles he’d hit .400 but who cares..same idea

Finally the concept has been around for awhile behind closed doors. My dad would be around numerous big leaguers (some all star quality) that would rip on Pete rose all the time. Some of it was sour grapes but some legit. Easy to get the hits record when you play on astroturf 90% of your career and just obsess on hammering the ball into the ground

Now has it all gotten out of control..yes but it’s also not changing
Yeah but he hit over .300 most of his career not .200. BIG difference. He sacraficed a few percentage points for power and when he needed to he could put the ball in play. Today they make every swing for the fence, situation be damned.

They have one of the strongest regional viewerships of any team in any sport

Sports viewership in total is down because they can’t quantify stream/clips yet (but they will)

The Yankees are not worried about viewership
I beg to differ.

Since 1992, there has been a steady decline in the number of viewers, starting from 21.98 million in 1992 down to 7.51 million in 2022 (Gough, 2022).

This is MLB wide..

I beg to differ.

Since 1992, there has been a steady decline in the number of viewers, starting from 21.98 million in 1992 down to 7.51 million in 2022 (Gough, 2022).

This is MLB wide..
You didn’t read my post

1. All sports viewership is down
2. Those are national numbers and meaningless
3. MLB has always relied on REGIONAL viewership and Yankees are doing fine

Yeah but he hit over .300 most of his career not .200. BIG difference. He sacraficed a few percentage points for power and when he needed to he could put the ball in play. Today they make every swing for the fence, situation be damned.
You’re using numbers and than general saying to prove your point.

It’s a different game now. Again you’re referencing BA. No one in MLB even uses those words anymore

I’m talking about his approach from his words. It is not all that different to todays game.

Has it gone too far yes. But it’s the game and its not just the Yankees

It's the old saying that applies here to today's athletes, chicks dig the long ball.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Circle gets the square.

This is not a new concept. Earl Weaver believed in it years ago as he hated the sacrifice bunt and would play for the three-run homer.

I haven't seen the stat recently and have no inclination to research it but the team that hits more home runs on a given day wins the majority of games and I think by a good percentage. It's still the easiest way to score runs.

Teams do not teach the station-to-station philosophy because it's too difficult to implement. You have a generation's worth of hitters who have been taught it's ok to strike out (better that than GIDP) and concentrate on launch angle and exit velo (not that squaring up a ball is a bad thing). Combine that with pitchers that throw max velocity with the ability to miss bats and you have the current iteration of baseball.

Reactions: williaza01
You didn’t read my post

1. All sports viewership is down
2. Those are national numbers and meaningless
3. MLB has always relied on REGIONAL viewership and Yankees are doing fine
MLB's aggregated viewing across all team markets drew higher prime-time ratings than network shows in 2022.

Reactions: williaza01
Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Circle gets the square.

This is not a new concept. Earl Weaver believed in it years ago as he hated the sacrifice bunt and would play for the three-run homer.

I haven't seen the stat recently and have no inclination to research it but the team that hits more home runs on a given day wins the majority of games and I think by a good percentage. It's still the easiest way to score runs.

Teams do not teach the station-to-station philosophy because it's too difficult to implement. You have a generation's worth of hitters who have been taught it's ok to strike out (better that than GIDP) and concentrate on launch angle and exit velo (not that squaring up a ball is a bad thing). Combine that with pitchers that throw max velocity with the ability to miss bats and you have the current iteration of baseball.
Early in games I totally understand going for the big inning. But in the later stages of the game, especially with every bullpen loaded with flame throwers play to the situation and go for the tie, the run to take the lead or the run to tack on.

That's a lost art now with everyone looking to hit the three run homer.

You’re using numbers and than general saying to prove your point.

It’s a different game now. Again you’re referencing BA. No one in MLB even uses those words anymore

I’m talking about his approach from his words. It is not all that different to todays game.

Has it gone too far yes. But it’s the game and its not just the Yankees
Watching a game were teams generally have 1 or 2 innings of scoring and the rest of the game is a bunch of strike outs and pop ups is not enjoyable. I can understand in a pitcher's duel but when it's becasue everyone is trying to hit a moon shot and missing it's just unwatchable. The last yankee dynasty did not play this way. I will never believe that if you took 96-2000 teams and had them play against today's teams they way they played then vs how these teams play with metrics today that they wouldn't dominate today's teams. Those teams were built to win. Lineup was impossible to pitch around from 1-9. Everyone in that lineup hit between .270 and .320 and all hit 20 or so HR's. No big bopper other than maybe Tino. Could have had one of the best bullpens after 6 in history with Nelson, Stanton Rivera. All these professional leagues are copycat leagues. Build a team that can hit consitantly, pitch and play defense and the metrics will go out the window.

Comparing it to football is a bad analogy with regard to metrics. You don't see football teams saying we're just going to line up and throw hail mary's every play becasue the reward is a TD. They may use metrics on whether to go for it on 4th down at a certain spot on the field but they don't change how they play the game to the extent that they do in Baseball. As a Football defense you can't play 2 linemen up front and drop 9 DB's to stop the pass. Opposing team will run it down your throat.

In baseball when teams employed the shift, instead of making teams pay for it by hitting opposite field or laying down a bunt they changed the rules.

They are losing their die hard fans and it's not like it's uber popular with the youth. My son who played from 5 yrs old, travel, through HS I don't think has ever sat down to watch a professional game.

I’m sorry but what are you talking about??

This started as analytics in baseball discussion

Analytics is a movement BY OWNERS and MANAGEMENT on how THEY want them to play the game

Has nothing to do with this
You don't see the parallel in what I am saying about athlete's worrying more about their brand than winning a ring.

Here's a prime example. I got my money (brand) so why do I have to work hard at maximizing my talent? The ring is no longer as important as the money (brand/homerun...if talking about baseball).

Watching a game were teams generally have 1 or 2 innings of scoring and the rest of the game is a bunch of strike outs and pop ups is not enjoyable. I can understand in a pitcher's duel but when it's becasue everyone is trying to hit a moon shot and missing it's just unwatchable. The last yankee dynasty did not play this way. I will never believe that if you took 96-2000 teams and had them play against today's teams they way they played then vs how these teams play with metrics today that they wouldn't dominate today's teams. Those teams were built to win. Lineup was impossible to pitch around from 1-9. Everyone in that lineup hit between .270 and .320 and all hit 20 or so HR's. No big bopper other than maybe Tino. Could have had one of the best bullpens after 6 in history with Nelson, Stanton Rivera. All these professional leagues are copycat leagues. Build a team that can hit consitantly, pitch and play defense and the metrics will go out the window.

Comparing it to football is a bad analogy with regard to metrics. You don't see football teams saying we're just going to line up and throw hail mary's every play becasue the reward is a TD. They may use metrics on whether to go for it on 4th down at a certain spot on the field but they don't change how they play the game to the extent that they do in Baseball. As a Football defense you can't play 2 linemen up front and drop 9 DB's to stop the pass. Opposing team will run it down your throat.

In baseball when teams employed the shift, instead of making teams pay for it by hitting opposite field or laying down a bunt they changed the rules.

They are losing their die hard fans and it's not like it's uber popular with the youth. My son who played from 5 yrs old, travel, through HS I don't think has ever sat down to watch a professional game.
1. Your beloved Yankees teams of 96-2000 had a basically 40% payroll advantage over the entire sport and we now know that team was on an astronomical amount of steroids and amphetamines. Irrelevant.

If you think that’s all they do in football good for you

Most of you don’t even understand the level of numbers these teams compute. It’s another level and why it exists in the first place

My dad scouted for about 28 years; regional, internationally (Japan) and self scout for two organizations. What most people call up and complain to wFan about isn’t even on the radar of what changed in the game

The #1 change over the past 15 years is the teaching and understanding of spin/mechanics and biometrics of throwing

The velocity and spin and movement generated by todays pitchers is totally new PLUS they are trained (most likely incorrectly) to max out on every pitch which is why they get hurt non stop.

Then teams manipulated bull pens to just trot out another kid who throws 99 sinkers and 97 mph sliders until they blow their arm out and they bring up the next carbon copy

Ask any scout that’s the most radical difference in the game period

You don't see the parallel in what I am saying about athlete's worrying more about their brand than winning a ring.

Here's a prime example. I got my money (brand) so why do I have to work hard at maximizing my talent? The ring is no longer as important as the money (brand/homerun...if talking about baseball).
Are they paying themselves? Where is the money coming from? Do players have a vote on who should be paid?

You think Dominican kids come to low A and long season A with knowledge of vector/depth. It is taught to them by the organization because that’s how the organization wants them to play

How is that even close to what you’re bringing up?

1. Your beloved Yankees teams of 96-2000 had a basically 40% payroll advantage over the entire sport and we now know that team was on an astronomical amount of steroids and amphetamines. Irrelevant.

If you think that’s all they do in football good for you

Most of you don’t even understand the level of numbers these teams compute. It’s another level and why it exists in the first place

My dad scouted for about 28 years; regional, internationally (Japan) and self scout for two organizations. What most people call up and complain to wFan about isn’t even on the radar of what changed in the game

The #1 change over the past 15 years is the teaching and understanding of spin/mechanics and biometrics of throwing

The velocity and spin and movement generated by todays pitchers is totally new PLUS they are trained (most likely incorrectly) to max out on every pitch which is why they get hurt non stop.

Then teams manipulated bull pens to just trot out another kid who throws 99 sinkers and 97 mph sliders until they blow their arm out and they bring up the next carbon copy

Ask any scout that’s the most radical difference in the game period
No, that was later with steroids and it was rampant throughout the league. Jeter, Williams, Posada,O’Neil, Brosious,Martinez, spencer,Duncan? Who was in steroids? If you’re going to talk know the facts.

No, that was later with steroids and it was rampant throughout the league. Jeter, Williams, Posada,O’Neil, Brosious,Martinez, spencer,Duncan? Who was in steroids? If you’re going to talk know the facts.
The mid-late 90s and early 00s Yanks (basically first WS v Braves through Gonzalez’s dunker over the infield) absolutely had payroll advantages. But they were great because via the farm system they developed a core in or around that time of HOF or the tier below HOF players at key positions: CF, SS, C, lefty starter and closer. Tell any org today they are going to have all-stars or better come up in those slots at the exact same time and the expectations will be a decades worth of high level success.

Maybe the answer lies in replacing the people doing the analytics. After all they not only go into pitch by pitch consideration, but into player evaluations, trades free agency drafting players, and promoting them through the system. I'm a Yankee fan going back to the ,days of Berra, Ford, and Mantle up to the present. The game has changed, and for me it's worse and all to often, unwatchable. Launch angle and exit speed mean nothing other then providing a breeze when no contact is made. I'd much rather watch a guy like Carew, Gwynn, Brett Mattingly. Freeman, Goldschmidt bat then an Alonso.

Reactions: Halldan1

Brian Cashman, Aaron Boone face more pressure for Yankees’ failures now​

By Joel Sherman

SEATTLE — The All-Star Game is a metaphor for the Yankees.

They had two players named to the American League team:

Gerrit Cole was the AL starter. That reflected his desire to do so merged with AL manager Dusty Baker’s belief that Cole had earned the first-time honor via many years of elite service. But it is not difficult to argue that through durability and excellence Cole deserved this.

Aaron Judge was named to the AL team, but did not attend so he could continue to rehab his injured right big toe. The loss of his immensity — in size, talent and star power — was felt on these proceedings.

The presence of Cole and the absence of Judge also defines the Yankee first half. They were the only Yankees named after the club had an MLB-high six last season. Instead, this year Cole shared a clubhouse with Sonny Gray, who the Yankees’ mental skills aficionado could not salvage; Nathan Eovaldi, who the on-field staff could not maximize; and Luis Castillo, who baseball operations could not obtain last trade deadline.

The paucity of 2023 Yankees was deserving. For the falloff from Cole to the next-best Yankee pitcher and, especially, the drop from Judge to the next-best Yankee hitter is the difference between Taylor Swift and a contestant eliminated in the first round of “American Idol.”

Judge hasn’t played since June 3 and still leads the Yankees with 40 RBIs. Cole is the only Yankee with more than three starts and a positive ERA-plus. Pretty much everyone else paid like an All-Star has failed, particularly in the five weeks and counting since Judge was sidelined. The next eight highest-paid Yankees after Judge/Cole are Giancarlo Stanton, Carlos Rodon, Josh Donaldson, Anthony Rizzo, DJ LeMahieu, Luis Severino, Gleyber Torres and Frankie Montas.

The collective money for little to nothing speaks to a failure by pedigreed players. But also roster construction. Brian Cashman and his staff addressed none of the obvious offensive concerns to end last season while layering on more and more injury red flags to the roster from picking up Severino’s option, to tendering Montas to signing Rodon and Tommy Kahnle.

The firing of hitting coach Dillon Lawson and hiring of Sean Casey screamed realization of failure. Cashman upended his philosophy of never firing a coach or manager in season. He would only do so with recognition of what should have been obvious, particularly during a second half last season when Judge single-handedly carried the offense — that Lawson was overwhelmed and overmatched as a major league hitting coach. That became overt this year when the protective shell of having Judge in the lineup vanished.

At that point, all of Lawson’s talk about emphasizing an offense that not only had power, but also could manufacture runs via other offensive avenues, was exposed as meaningless sound bites. The hope was to build something that would better fight the Astro staff in October and it couldn’t even mount a counter to Jameson Taillon’s 6.93 ERA in July. The Yankees wanted diversity and — among other items — bragged about their organizational baserunning guru. But essentially Anthony Volpe has the hop-hop-run skill and no one else on the team does. Torres, for example, employs a run-until-you-are-tagged strategy that has neither been improved by his growing veteran status nor by Aaron Boone and his staff.

Cashman has earned the benefit of the doubt. He has stared down many in-season crises in a quarter century as GM and the Yanks always have emerged high-end contenders. These Yankees (49-42) are in a similar record boat to other recent regular-season titans, the Astros (50-41) and Dodgers (51-38), who also have incurred large-scale injuries. But the Yankee record also is similar to the Red Sox (48-43), who are last in the AL East with an industry wondering if they will be deadline sellers.

No Boone-managed team has ever missed the playoffs. But Boone and Cashman are on the grill now. Lawson reflected an organization that slavishly hunted pull-in-the-air exit velocity and too often in major league games has seemed lost finding anything beyond brutality to win. If, for example, you are still talking about Josh Donaldson’s exit velocity or barrel percentage you are discussing the lovely awning of a house on fire.

From this mindset, Casey is a 180-degree departure — albeit one with no major league coaching experience trying to alter mental and physical results in progress.

“It’s gonna be on us to adjust and continue to get better,” Cole said. “We do need to get better. That’s for sure.”

No doubt. It is on the players. But also on Cashman, who championed the previous strategy and has now fired a coach in season for the first time. It is on Boone, who clearly backed his one-time Reds roommate, Casey, as a change agent.

The Yankees usually find a way. To do so this year, they need a lot more All-Stars in the second half than they managed in the first.

Maybe the answer lies in replacing the people doing the analytics. After all they not only go into pitch by pitch consideration, but into player evaluations, trades free agency drafting players, and promoting them through the system. I'm a Yankee fan going back to the ,days of Berra, Ford, and Mantle up to the present. The game has changed, and for me it's worse and all to often, unwatchable. Launch angle and exit speed mean nothing other then providing a breeze when no contact is made. I'd much rather watch a guy like Carew, Gwynn, Brett Mattingly. Freeman, Goldschmidt bat then an Alonso.
This is it basically..they don’t have good players. Analytics has hurt their development and acquisitions (which is the problem)

Most fans don’t even realize why owners/GMs love/adore analytics. Has nothing to do with anything written in this thread

I've never been a fan of analytics. Stop overthinking & fill your roster with guys that can pitch to a low era, hit for avg. & drive in runs.

For those saying avg. no longer matters, I beg to differ.

AMERICAN LEAGUE - League average .245

C: Jonah Heim (TEX) - .282
1B: Yandy Díaz (TB) - .323
2B: Marcus Semien (TEX) - .271
3B: Josh Jung (TEX) - .280
SS: Corey Seager (TEX) - .353
OF: Adolis García (TEX) - .261 (75 RBI)
OF: Randy Arozarena (TB) - .279
OF: Austin Hays (BAL) - .314
DH: Shohei Ohtani (LAA) - .302

NATIONAL LEAGUE - .251

C: Sean Murphy (ATL) - .306