ADVERTISEMENT

Another Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
should make this real interesting and start some type of bet. I'll throw in $5 and say it's Sonogo.

Is it gossiping or just a stated fact? If a kid is leaving, the school will make an announcement.

theres like 3/4 players that would actually matter so its pretty much whatever... but it is yet another player that is transferring out because he was most likely a huge reach... the ole kevin willard staple. what a freaking novice.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
As long as it's not Whitehead, Carrington, Delgado, or Rodriguez, I can gladly say "See ya! Have fun playing D3 ball at Montclair State!"

BTW, we are in a very STRONG position to replace the player leaving with a top notch guard with imm eligibility.

Reactions: shupat08
Eli Carter.....best guy we can get at this point (chemistry issues aside).

You have to love that it was told that absolutely nobody was leaving the program after the season. How many kids have transferred since Willard has been here now? a dozen, a baker's dozen?

Yet another example of terrible roster planning and foresight by this joke of a coach.

Eli Carter.....best guy we can get at this point (chemistry issues aside).

You have to love that it was told that absolutely nobody was leaving the program after the season. How many kids have transferred since Willard has been here now? a dozen, a baker's dozen?
Not Carter.

IMO a much better alternative if he comes.

hope he can handle the rock because the blueprint is going to be pretty east on the Hall this year. Press, press, and press since there is no true PG on the roster currently.
Did we have a true PG last year? Gibbs didn't turn it over, but wasn't really a PG. We broke the press well last year IMO regardless of who was handling the ball. One of the few things we did well.

The only thing better than Carter would be a true PG assist guy. Because nobody currently available can score or defend as well as Carter can.

Reactions: Fordham_57
Did we have a true PG last year? Gibbs didn't turn it over, but wasn't really a PG. We broke the press well last year IMO regardless of who was handling the ball. One of the few things we did well.
Exactly, Gibbs didn't turn it over. But we don't have Gibbs now do we.

Whitehead is not a PG but is going to have to be the guy. He was a turnover machine last season. Carrington and Soffer are our other options. Can't believe we are in this position. So, now someone has to leave the program so we can get another guard here. It's really inexcusable.

I am not concerned with IW and KC vs pressure. I was very concerned with Sina vs pressure. Pressure and end of shot clock situations were not Jaren's strength.

Sina won't be back so there is no longer a need to worry about him.

I think people are too worried about IW. I hear he isn't a PG, presumably because he is careless with the ball. He did not show amazing long range shooting required for SG and he is a little small for SF (in conference play, let alone as a professional). I suppose anything can happen, but I fully expect he will play a lot of PG and some SF next year. We could do worse. As has been pointed out numerous times, we need depth at guard so I hope we get someone who can step in and play some minutes next season.

Transfers are a fact of life in college basketball. I am not the least bit worried that we have had however many it is we had. It is a fun way to bash the coach but really isn't the problem people want to make it.

Not Carter.

Not Carter.

I hope you are referring to Derrick Gordon. I'm sitting here reading today's Boston Globe, seeing a picture of Gordon with Rep. Joe Kennedy III and Jason Collins at a dinner / fundraiser honoring Boston students who have helped LGBT students in their communities. The caption refers to Gordon as a UMass ball player. Wouldn't it be a tremendous source of pride to have a courageous and accomplished young man like this represent our alma mater? Please let this happen.

The only thing better than Carter would be a true PG assist guy. Because nobody currently available can score or defend as well as Carter can.
I am not concerned with IW and KC vs pressure. I was very concerned with Sina vs pressure. Pressure and end of shot clock situations were not Jaren's strength.
The only thing better than Carter would be a true PG assist guy. Because nobody currently
Route 71& Snyder Ave

I disagree about IW not being a PG. The reason he turned the ball over last year was the fact that he forced too much and was often driving to basket when there was no clear lane. That's just a lack of recognition that you're no longer playing HS/AAU Bball anymore and building discretion.

I actually think IW could develop into a NBA level PG if his decision making improves. As of now, he's our best and only choice to run PG.

Reactions: shupat08
Whitehead is not a PG but is going to have to be the guy. He was a turnover machine last season. Carrington and Soffer are our other options. Can't believe we are in this position. So, now someone has to leave the program so we can get another guard here. It's really inexcusable.
We have two terrific guards, and a kid who had no biz
I disagree about IW not being a PG. The reason he turned the ball over last year was the fact that he forced too much and was often driving to basket when there was no clear lane. That's just a lack of recognition that you're no longer playing HS/AAU Bball anymore and building discretion.

I actually think IW could develop into a NBA level PG if his decision making improves. As of now, he's our best and only choice to run PG.
Yes, I totally agree 91. He should have been given the ball (along with Sterling) and taught how to rein in his mistakes from the get go. I have mentioned this so many times, but I really think the inefficiency of the offense contributes to so many of the mistakes we make. I quoted John Wooden in another thread, something like "do not mistake activity for achievement" cause it immediately reminded me of our offense.

To paraphrase John Wooden, just because you say something a lot doesn't mean it is accurate. After Auda left, we had a sizeable void at SF. Potentially, we were looking at 40 minutes a game of Karlis and Manga at SF. Of all the things that happened last year, the thing I appreciated the most was IW sacrificing his game to take the SF job. He played pretty well there overall. In exchange for his help, Willard set it up so that each of the three main guards, SG, JS and IW would have an opportunity to run the point. In theory, that would work well. We run a pro style offense with lots of pick and rolls which lends itself pretty easily to rotating point guards. The overall degree of difficulty should not have been beyond their ability.The inefficiency of the offense was more complicated than simply IW not playing the point enough. If IW wants to be successful here or anywhere else, he will have to rein in his mistakes. Hopefully, he will be a year older and wiser which should help. He certainly should expect the ball in his hands more.

I hope you are referring to Derrick Gordon. I'm sitting here reading today's Boston Globe, seeing a picture of Gordon with Rep. Joe Kennedy III and Jason Collins at a dinner / fundraiser honoring Boston students who have helped LGBT students in their communities. The caption refers to Gordon as a UMass ball player. Wouldn't it be a tremendous source of pride to have a courageous and accomplished young man like this represent our alma mater? Please let this happen.

I hope he is courageous and accomplished for something other than coming out.

It's great that he is now comfortable and can help others who might not be as brave.

We have two terrific guards, and a kid who had no biz

What exactly does "no biz" mean?

I hope he is courageous and accomplished for something other than coming out.

Thank you. Apparently, in the city of Boston, that alone is enough for the key to the city. Seems like a good kid, good ballplayer. I certainly don't think any less OR more of him, now that his sexual identity is public knowledge.

Carter is much more talented than the guy mentioned on the Trove to replace Gibbs. However, I think the other guy would be much more of a fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT