ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Aiken

cams555

Sophomore
Oct 24, 2019
Any new news about him? Last I heard he is waiting for Michigan St which does not seem promising.

Any new news about him? Last I heard he is waiting for Michigan St which does not seem promising.
Zags’ article today in nj.com on Ivy League doesn’t sound promising. Seems to be looking for school with big facilities and medical/training staff.

Especially after reading Zagorias new article...it really, really seems like he wants a bigger-time school with serious facilities and a huge basketball atmosphere after spending his career at Harvard. Seton Hall does not give him that. I was actually optimistic a week ago, but this does not feel like it’s going SHU’s way at all

I don't know much about Aiken beyond reputation because frankly I stopped paying attention once he went elsewhere out of HS. From his time at Harvard (scouting the stat line), and the schools that are recruiting him, it seems like he is more of a scoring-point than a distributor but viewed highly. No idea how he projects as a player compared to Q, but out of curiosity why do you think Q is so much better?

I'd take Q over Aiken any day of the week & twice on Saturday.

I don't know much about Aiken beyond reputation because frankly I stopped paying attention once he went elsewhere out of HS. From his time at Harvard (scouting the stat line), and the schools that are recruiting him, it seems like he is more of a scoring-point than a distributor but viewed highly. No idea how he projects as a player compared to Q, but out of curiosity why do you think Q is so much better?
Aiken played less than 40 total games his last 3 years at Harvard...no guarantee he will remain healthy for a full season

Reactions: mbraue
Aiken is somebody that you can immediately insert into your starting lineup at the PG position. His injury history is a risk you absolutely take. Maybe I’m wrong but at this point in the recruiting season I can’t imagine bringing in another player that is equal in skill to Aiken.

out of curiosity why do you think Q is so much better?

I just think that Q was a much better fit with Powell. I probably should have said I'd take Q/Powell over Aiken/Powell any day of the week & twice on Saturday.
Aiken would be a much better fit now that we desperately need a scorer in the back court.

Q was legit.
Most likely runner up to defensive big east poy his junior year and honorable mention (12-13th best player in the big east) his senior year in a conference that projected to have 60-70% of it's teams in the tournament.
2nd in conference in ast and 2nd in conference in ast/to.

A pg that is one of the best defenders in the country (was nominated as such) with a 2.0+ ast/to ratio and shooting 34+% from 3 and 85% ft, i mean can you say rock solid. This is from someone that was late to the parade on Q.

Poor man’s Markus Howard with durability issues. We definitely want him and he will put up a lot of points when he’s on the court. But he has limitations also.

The staff wants Aiken badly and so should every Pirate fan. He's a superb player and a NJ favorite son.

That plus I have no doubt he or some close to him read this board, so use some common sense when commenting on him.

As for me I firmly believe he has first string All Big East potential. There's a reason why elite schools are targeting him and why he has been in contact with Kentucky.

Love for him to come home, pack the Rock, play before friends and family, and have the hometown favorite compete and lead the Pirates to another great season. He could be our Hossier story!

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
If Aiken comes and he’s healthy, we can be a major player in the conference again. He’s really that talented a scorer and I think of him more as a replacement for Powell than Q even though technically he’s a PG. Just go watch the tape of him from the 18-19 season when we was healthy. He’s that good.

Q was legit.
Most likely runner up to defensive big east poy his junior year and honorable mention (12-13th best player in the big east) his senior year in a conference that projected to have 60-70% of it's teams in the tournament.
2nd in conference in ast and 2nd in conference in ast/to.

A pg that is one of the best defenders in the country (was nominated as such) with a 2.0+ ast/to ratio and shooting 34+% from 3 and 85% ft, i mean can you say rock solid. This is from someone that was late to the parade on Q.
Q was not a Pg and that was the problem. His assist numbers are inflated due To so many threes being attempted. He never penetrated and kicked out. He rarely penetrated and dished off an assist. The only time he would do so is an alley oop to Gill and even then he had problems throwing the pass.

I give Q all the credit in the world for his defense and he worked very hard in not turning the ball over. But Q over dribbled, and 95% of the time when he went towards the basket, he was driving to the hole to try to score.

This team’s issues offensively had a lot to do with having no pg.

Q was not a Pg and that was the problem. His assist numbers are inflated due To so many threes being attempted. He never penetrated and kicked out. He rarely penetrated and dished off an assist. The only time he would do so is an alley oop to Gill and even then he had problems throwing the pass.

I give Q all the credit in the world for his defense and he worked very hard in not turning the ball over. But Q over dribbled, and 95% of the time when he went towards the basket, he was driving to the hole to try to score.

Honorable all big east, all teams shoot a lot of 3s(we’re middle of the pack), 2nd in big east in assists, 2nd in ast/to ratio. Better in both categories than Colin and zegarwoski. Above average 3pt shooter, above average from the field, best on team in ft%.

the big east coaches thought he had a really good year, I thought he had a really good year, the big east banner thinks he had a really good year,but yeah you’re probably right.

He lead the BE in assists in conference game. You can justify anything with enough words. Stats don’t lie.

Cern, so we throw our assist as a valuable stat. Or only q's assts. Imagine if q played on a team with great shooters.

Don’t confuse what I said. Q is a real good basketball player. But he is not a point guard. There is a difference. It was a big problem with our offense all year was that we did not have a real point guard.

as far as assists go, it can be a misleading stat. Pass the ball around the perimeter to Powell who hits a three and you have an assist. Dribble penetrate in the lane and have the defense collapse and kick back out for a three is the same. It’s an assist. But what player was performing as a point guard?

Don’t confuse what I said. Q is a real good basketball player. But he is not a point guard. There is a difference. It was a big problem with our offense all year was that we did not have a real point guard.

as far as assists go, it can be a misleading stat. Pass the ball around the perimeter to Powell who hits a three and you have an assist. Dribble penetrate in the lane and have the defense collapse and kick back out for a three is the same. It’s an assist. But what player was performing as a point guard?
Not all assists are created equal very true but I mean zeg and Colin played on much better 3 pt shooting teams and registered less assists and their teams shot more 3s. Not saying he is a better “true pg” then them but cheap assists are available to all teams.

If your definition of “true pg” is solely creating easy baskets for your team then you’re living in the Stone Age.

50% of the time on the court Q was on defense and he was very very good and on offense he protected the ball, registered assists, scored when needed, shot the 3 ball at a good clip and knocked down free throws at the end of games.

News flash Aiken is also a heck of guard but he also doesn’t fit your “true pg” mold either. He’s a scorer, he’s a dribbler, he’s a shooter, he’s a big shot maker, but true pg he is not. We were lucky enough to have Q and hopefully we’ll land Aiken as well.

Problem solved...you can go watch game tape and minus any assists he had to Powell...

Honestly who cares about "position". Q was as tough as they come, team leader and a hell of a ball player that helped lead us to the Big East title.

Wasn’t SHU the 3rd or 4th highest scoring team in the BE even with our non point guard? I’m certain SHU ranked top half at least in offense from KENPOM.

Not all assists are created equal very true but I mean zeg and Colin played on much better 3 pt shooting teams and registered less assists and their teams shot more 3s. Not saying he is a better “true pg” then them but cheap assists are available to all teams.

If your definition of “true pg” is solely creating easy baskets for your team then you’re living in the Stone Age.

50% of the time on the court Q was on defense and he was very very good and on offense he protected the ball, registered assists, scored when needed, shot the 3 ball at a good clip and knocked down free throws at the end of games.

News flash Aiken is also a heck of guard but he also doesn’t fit your “true pg” mold either. He’s a scorer, he’s a dribbler, he’s a shooter, he’s a big shot maker, but true pg he is not. We were lucky enough to have Q and hopefully we’ll land Aiken as well.

Mic drop.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Honorable all big east, all teams shoot a lot of 3s(we’re middle of the pack), 2nd in big east in assists, 2nd in ast/to ratio. Better in both categories than Colin and zegarwoski. Above average 3pt shooter, above average from the field, best on team in ft%.

the big east coaches thought he had a really good year, I thought he had a really good year, the big east banner thinks he had a really good year,but yeah you’re probably right.
His point was not that Q wasn’t a baller or didn’t put up good numbers. It was that he was not a point guard, and that is indisputable. He wasn’t, which was evident from watching him play. That was his point.

Watching clips of Aiken makes me want him to be a Pirate even more. His crossover is deadly, great penetration, nice deep range. The type of PG you want with the ball in his hands at crunch time.

A lot of what you say is true, but don't for a minute think that his offensive contributions at the point weren't a positive.

He controlled tempo when the team was playing too fast and got the ball to shooters when and where they needed it.

Running Willard's offense is not an easy thing and with no experience at that position McKnight did it well enough last season to be chosen to the All Haggety second team as well as the honor for this year noted above.

You don't make All Big East second team in a loaded conference joining two pure points on that team in Gillespie and Zegarowski just on your defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT