ADVERTISEMENT

COVID SHU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not less true. It's that most people are vaccinated now.

The far majority of people in the age groups that would be hospitalized are vaccinated.
If your population is 1 million adults over 65 and 90% are vaccinated, If your Covid census in that age group is 50% vaccinated and 50% unvaccinated - That represents a 900% increase in your risk of being hospitalized if you are unvaccinated.

Lots of other personal factors here as well, but it is not becoming less true that the vaccine provides significant protection against sever disease and death.

That said, people have made their choice now. These rules are over the top.
Not sure I follow your logic and where age related stats enter in. I’m speaking of raw numbers and there has been a significant increase in mix change (vaccinated/unvaccinated). What determines hospitalization is severity of the symptoms and a patient’s risk factors. If your pulse ox is 85, you’re obese, and having breathing problems, You’re going to be treated as an inpatient whether you are vaccinated or not.

Reactions: hallstorm
Without digging into the data, it would seem the new variant certainly has more success infecting the vaccinated than did previous ones.

However, as with all covid, the unvaxxed patients are the ones over, over, overwhelmingly hooked up to ventilators.

Please get vaxxed.
That is old info. Very few are being put on ventilators. They are being treated with asthma type steriods and bronchio-dilators. Most who die now are severely compromised. Here's an idea...start using the therapeutics like the monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin and allow doctors to do their jobs instead of following the church of Faucci.

Statistics should really be part of the required curriculum at all schools…
This is turning into an epic thread. Agree that Willard should mandate that all players be vaccinated. Given that SHU already had that mandate for all students attending class, I can only surmise that those unvaccinated have a religious or medical waiver.

The only REAL way to get this season in is to shut everybody out of the men's basketball circle. It may not be the time of their lives, but plenty of time for socializing in April and May.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Would change nothing. The jab doesn’t prevent transmission or contraction. Their only talking point is it “can” prevent hospitalization. Unless someone knows otherwise, none of the players are hospitalized.

If they are feeling effects, get them the therapeutics. Is very well documented that with them you will recover in a few days.
But what the vax does is mitigate and immensely weaken a virus vs. having unvaccinated hosts around where the virus feasts off. Unvaccinated people allow the virus to strengthen and figure out how to survive.

So when the virus gets passed around by vaxed people and gets stronger with the unvaxed, it’s only a matter of time before all of the crazy variants come out and we start all over again. It is what it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

Cases by day, hospitalizations, and deaths by day are trending upwards but are all currently lower than they were during the end of the summer. On top of that, the variant that is spreading is believed to be less severe and less deadly. And lastly, the at-risk population is overwhelmingly vaccinated which should prevent severe disease or death for those most vulnerable.

Yet you'd believe that the country is back into the midst of the worst parts of the pandemic based on what is going on. It's going to be a long winter.

Defer to those who study the data on ventilators as I said have not dug in. Very quick news search turns up pages of articles like those below. Are there similar accounts of the opposite?

This is turning into an epic thread. Agree that Willard should mandate that all players be vaccinated. Given that SHU already had that mandate for all students attending class, I can only surmise that those unvaccinated have a religious or medical waiver.

The only REAL way to get this season in is to shut everybody out of the men's basketball circle. It may not be the time of their lives, but plenty of time for socializing in April and May.
Whether it is right or wrong, you can mandate without mandating. My CEO in August basically told us that to come into the office you had to be vaccinated or get tested all the time. On top of that NYC entertainment options for clients started with the vaccine requirement. For what I do for a living, that pushed me over the top to get the vaccine. I wasn’t against it per se, was listening to my doctors, was in a low risk group, and there wasn’t any urgent need for me to get it before others did. But that “mandate” was the final straw that pushed me to get it.

Reactions: MBDuncan
But what the vax does is mitigate and immensely weaken a virus vs. having unvaccinated hosts around where the virus feasts off. Unvaccinated people allow the virus to strengthen and figure out how to survive.

So when the virus gets passed around by vaxed people and gets stronger with the unvaxed, it’s only a matter of time before all of the crazy variants come out and we start all over again. It is what it is.
OR, it mutates into a less virulent strain. There were no vaccines in the pandemic in 1918, it just mutated into what we now know as the seasonal flu.

I’m speaking of raw numbers and there has been a significant increase in mix change (vaccinated/unvaccinated).

Right, but of course that is true. You need to consider the current census against the entire population of people who are vaccinated or not. If Aiken hits 2 free throws and Ikey hits 2 free throws, would you conclude anything about their efficiency? Wouldn't you need to understand how many shots they took? Same thing here. You need to consider the relative populations before you start saying it's less true that Covid offers protection from sever disease.

I explained the same thing here over the summer when people said the same thing about the data from Israel showing that 60% of their covid hospitalizations were vaccinated. Turned out that the 8% of unvaccinated adults over age 50 represented 40% of sever cases. Being unvaccinated increased the chances of severe disease by 700%.

Reactions: SHUSA
We are drifting off topic but, for example, I received the measles vaccine when I was a child. The measles vaccine is 97% effective against INFECTIONF FOR LIFE. These coronavirus "vaccines" are proving to be like a new car - they lose value immediately after you drive it off the lot. Only a few months out from administration and most people have severely waning immunity.
You actually needed 2 shots of the measles vaccine to get to that number because just one shot was not enough. Also you can’t compare measles to covid. Those are two very different viruses that are not even in the same family.

Then don't call them vaccines if the only purpose was to prevent severe illness. Real vaccines actually prevent infection. There is a huge difference.

And if they do provide protection against severe illness (studies show they do!), then why are we still panicking and canceling events when people get what will amount to a cold as if it is 2020?
theres been plenty of reports that show that vax have 60-80% effectiveness of preventing transmission. that # obv plummets as they wear off

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
It's not less true. It's that most people are vaccinated now.

The far majority of people in the age groups that would be hospitalized are vaccinated.
If your population is 1 million adults over 65 and 90% are vaccinated, If your Covid census in that age group is 50% vaccinated and 50% unvaccinated - That represents a 900% increase in your risk of being hospitalized if you are unvaccinated.

Lots of other personal factors here as well, but it is not becoming less true that the vaccine provides significant protection against sever disease and death.

That said, people have made their choice now. These rules are over the top.
i really hope 85 isnt an analyst because hes measuring all the wrong things.

or he should be a marketing analyst like i was once. you can spin anything in your favor. its all semantics behind whats in the denominator.

You actually needed 2 shots of the measles vaccine to get to that number because just one shot was not enough. Also you can’t compare measles to covid. Those are two very different viruses that are not even in the same family.

Nice dodge. Everyone knows the measles vaccine is two doses. But what we also know is you don't need to come back every year for one!

i really hope 85 isnt an analyst because hes measuring all the wrong things.

or he should be a marketing analyst like i was once. you can spin anything in your favor. its all semantics behind whats in the denominator.
Because comparing hospitalizations to foul shooting percentages is really scientific.

Nice dodge. Everyone knows the measles vaccine is two doses. But what we also know is you don't need to come back every year for one!
because its not a respiratory virus. are we doing this again with you? youre just trolling. you say this is the flu, guess what , people get a flu shot every year. take a hike on this.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
We are drifting off topic but, for example, I received the measles vaccine when I was a child. The measles vaccine is 97% effective against INFECTIONF FOR LIFE. These coronavirus "vaccines" are proving to be like a new car - they lose value immediately after you drive it off the lot. Only a few months out from administration and most people have severely waning immunity.

The measles vaccine is not 100% effective and we didn't eliminate measles until we started to mandate getting vaccinated decades after the vaccine was available.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Because comparing hospitalizations to foul shooting percentages is really scientific.

Math is scientific, yes.

You were wrong in saying it is less true that the vaccine offered protection against sever disease because you ignored the denominator regarding the populations you were referring to.

OR, it mutates into a less virulent strain. There were no vaccines in the pandemic in 1918, it just mutated into what we now know as the seasonal flu.
I didn’t say it was more or less virulent. The data isn’t clear yet. But the way a virus takes advantage of unvaxed + unhealthy hosts is going to go on in perpetuity based on how they work. Is there a chance it’ll be passed around looking to strengthen among even the more healthy people in time? We still don’t know.

All I care about is getting back to some semblance of regularity.

It does not matter if you're vaccinated or not, this is happening everywhere. Look at what's going on at Cornell. 97% vaccination rate on the student body. Most of those students also have had their booster shots.

Better to get the team sick with this new variant now, than in March and have to end the season early

Reactions: P615007 and shu09
One thing is for sure. Our health care workers bare the brunt of those who won't get a series of shots. I really resent it because my daughter is an RN and these people put her at continual added risk. And these people rely on those with shots to be there to take care of them when they come down with covid!

Math is scientific, yes.

You were wrong in saying it is less true that the vaccine offered protection against sever disease because you ignored the denominator regarding the populations you were referring to.
shu degree quality plummeting in real time

It does not matter if you're vaccinated or not, this is happening everywhere. Look at what's going on at Cornell. 97% vaccination rate on the student body. Most of those students also have had their booster shots.

Better to get the team sick with this new variant now, than in March and have to end the season early

Yes on both counts. And, technically, those who are infected are now "boosted," and exempt from testing for 90 days. Let's just hope all the cases are mild ones.

That is old info. Very few are being put on ventilators. They are being treated with asthma type steriods and bronchio-dilators. Most who die now are severely compromised. Here's an idea...start using the therapeutics like the monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin and allow doctors to do their jobs instead of following the church of Faucci.
You can also try mouth wash or light in your body

Yes on both counts. And, technically, those who are infected are now "boosted," and exempt from testing for 90 days. Let's just hope all the cases are mild ones.
do infections actually count as being booster for things like league protocol or general mandates?

do infections actually count as being booster for things like league protocol or general mandates?
Where I work, yes. If a student or athlete has a positive test, no testing for 90 days. How universal that is, I don't know.

Would be curious if player(s) already had covid. I’ve heard that you can’t get covid twice.

Where I work, yes. If a student or athlete has a positive test, no testing for 90 days. How universal that is, I don't know.
do you wait until a negative test to resume or just 14 days after positive test? i remember elective surgeries you had to test negative. some people had the virus months in advance and still tested positive and werent allowed their surgeries. happened to my brother in law. left his house his first day after 14 day quarantine and shattered his ankle badly in a motorcycle accident. took over a month to get the surgery cause he still tested positive despite showing proof of his initial positive date

This is a shame for SHU, but I think it is time for all indoor sports to pause and restart in January. They need to isolate/test to prevent more outbreaks and revamp their polices. The more you keep playing the more it is going to spread leading to cancellations. Specifically for SHU the whole team needs to be vaccinated period including boosters. They need to also go back to some of the polices like last year. Keep wearing masks indoors, limit time around other students. They don’t need to be eating in the cafeteria and they shouldn’t be jumping into the student section during games or signing autographs. SHU should strictly enforce mask wearing for the crowd during games. It really is not a big deal. If I can wear an n95 for 8 hrs straight while also doing procedures and chest compressions you can wear a surgical mask for 2 hrs. There interaction with the media should also be limited. Go back to virtual for the time being. I know it sucks for them to feel isolated again but it is necessary to get through this wave.
Ok fuhrer. Then we must inject them with zee next experimental drug. Then they must v go back to zee cell until called upon.

Reactions: MBDuncan
Math is scientific, yes.

A month or so ago it was being reported that there were virtually no vaccinated patients that were hospitalized. Now it is ranging from 10 to 50% depending on the hospital. There has not been that significant increase in vaccinations in the last 60 days.

breakthrough infections and hospitalizations are obviously going up. The point I was trying to make is that whether you are vaccinated or not, address your comorbidities, get tested and seek treatment as soon as you are tested.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and HallB
One thing is for sure. Our health care workers bare the brunt of those who won't get a series of shots. I really resent it because my daughter is an RN and these people put her at continual added risk. And these people rely on those with shots to be there to take care of them when they come down with covid!

Did your daughter not think part of her job as an RN would be treating people with infectious diseases? Your daughter also has the option to get vaccinated to protect herself. If she did, what is she worried about?

Maybe your daughter should have tried a different profession if those are the issues you're worried about.

The measles vaccine is not 100% effective and we didn't eliminate measles until we started to mandate getting vaccinated decades after the vaccine was available.

Clearly you have difficulty with reading. I said it is 97% effective. 97 does not equal 100.

Omicron is 70x more contagious than Delta. That means everyone is going to get it.

Anyone sick over there or are we just talking about mild symptoms and asymptomatic cases that we wouldn’t even know about if we weren’t testing these kids?

Then don't call them vaccines if the only purpose was to prevent severe illness. Real vaccines actually prevent infection. There is a huge difference.

And if they do provide protection against severe illness (studies show they do!), then why are we still panicking and canceling events when people get what will amount to a cold as if it is 2020?
"I want to caution the people of our nation about two things:

First: No vaccination program can prevent all cases of the disease against which it is directed. Let us not forget that Dr. Francis reported the polio vaccine as used in the 1954 field trial was found to be 60 to 90 percent--not 100 percent--effective in the field trials last year."
President Dwight D Eisenhower

Can you please stop with your nonsense.

Reactions: garyshu71
Clearly you have difficulty with reading. I said it is 97% effective. 97 does not equal 100.

You're just making up your own definition of what a vaccine is though and saying we should call it something else because it doesn't meet whatever threshold you want it to meet.

A vaccine stimulates the production of antibodies against a specific disease. 20%, 50%, 90% whatever.

A month or so ago it was being reported that there were virtually no vaccinated patients that were hospitalized. Now it is ranging from 10 to 50% depending on the hospital. There has not been that significant increase in vaccinations in the last 60 days.

Again... Of course because the far majority of the adult population is vaccinated.
if 100% of the population was vaccinated then 100% of the census would be vaccinated - That doesn't say anything about the vaccines effectiveness though.

The point I was trying to make is that whether you are vaccinated or not, address your comorbidities, get tested and seek treatment as soon as you are tested.

That is all true. Should have just said that instead of including the part about vaccine being less effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT