ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley is giving a line here

There are players who've said that Connecticut being in the big east mattered to them in choosing Connecticut. Andre Jackson, Adama Sanogo, Booknight, etc. There's not a doubt in my mind that being in the Big East helps Connecticut recruit.
Sadly, being in any conference now doesn't matter for most recruits in today's world. It's all about money and let's pretend this is new Kyle Anderson should've been a pirate and not a bruin, but money talks. Jerry's reporting the other day makes it sound like KR and DD have a foot out the door and if true I'll bet few things trump highest bidder. Close to home can be a factor but nobody is take 50 cents on the dollar to be closer to home. It's all good lip service after the fact, but reality is what happens behind those closed door meetings and what is said to the public are probably 2 completely different worlds. It's better for everyone to say school. academics. class size, conference, even sneaker brand, are all better than I went for the heaviest bag.

Two things can be true at the same time. UConn hired Dan Hurley to do exactly what he has done and they did so when they were still a member of the AAC. Being confident in his own ability to build a program shouldn't be a knock against him.

Would he have been able to do so had UConn not moved to the Big East? We'll never know. I'm sure being able to sell the Big East brand has made it easier.

It's not unheard of to build perennial championship contenders in non-major conferences. Kelvin Sampson did so with Houston in the AAC (four straight Sweet 16s or better), Mark Few built on a foundation at Gonzaga and John Calipari did it at Memphis when they were in Conference USA.

Add Brad Stevens at Butler in the Horizon.
In my view, Stevens isn't really in that conversation. Butler was already successful when he took over (longer than Gonzaga pre-Few) and he was only there five years.

There's no question Stevens improved the program drastically but he wasn't the guy who "built" the program.

In my view, Stevens isn't really in that conversation. Butler was already successful when he took over (longer than Gonzaga pre-Few) and he was only there five years.

There's no question Stevens improved the program drastically but he wasn't the guy who "built" the program.
Question: Steven’s left just after Butler was invited into the BE. Does Butler get the invite if the BE knew he was leaving?

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT