ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley on NIL

If I was a local mid major now, or any mid major, I would recruit the s$$$ out of those high 3 stars and 4 stars out of prep that historically I could never get. With NIL making kids stay longer, mid majors getting pillaged annually with transferitis, and older players seeming more in demand, I would think that would be an inefficiency some of these smaller schools can take advantage of now.

Like a Hofstra or Iona etc basically pitching a kid he will be able to come, get huge minutes off the bat potentially, and leverage that into a NIL payday in a few years if not sooner.

If I was a local mid major now, or any mid major, I would recruit the s$$$ out of those high 3 stars and 4 stars out of prep that historically I could never get. With NIL making kids stay longer, mid majors getting pillaged annually with transferitis, and older players seeming more in demand, I would think that would be an inefficiency some of these smaller schools can take advantage of now.

Like a Hofstra or Iona etc basically pitching a kid he will be able to come, get huge minutes off the bat potentially, and leverage that into a NIL payday in a few years if not sooner.
Seems that’s already what’s happening. Iona recently snagged a commitment from a local 3/4 star who decommitted from Washington State. He chose Iona over Georgia Tech and Ole Miss

That is what Hofstra is doing. There was a story (NY Post?) where Claxton told Estrada it was time for him to go get paid.

Mid Majors will now become the minor leagues of College Basketball -- which may not be that bad

Yes - but with that strategy, these teams will never be able to upset teams in NCAA tourney. These schools used to be able to win games because they had veteran players versus the younger players on the P5 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT