ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Gordon to SH

May not be a stretch to say our best outside shooters could be the kids, Soffer and Singh?

One other thing on Sina, not trying to knock him, I hope he does well and think he will in that conference, and I know he was a top 150 recruit and Soffer and Singh aren't rated anywhere near that, but it's almost impossible to imagine that either one or both of them can't be more productive by their sophomore seasons than Sina was last year. Maybe even at some point during this coming season. They would almost have to be by default.

Outside shooting is a major concern for this team. Unless, Whitehead, Desi and especially Carrington dramatically improve their shot selection and shooting performance, the starters will be the worst 3 pt shooting team in the Big East. Our most consistent 3 pt shooters in Gibbs and Mobley have left the team.

I would imagine teams will pressure the ball and then fall back into a 2-3 defense daring our players to shoot.

So what offense does that leave us? In 5 years at Seton Hall, all Willard has done was chuck up threes from the perimeter. Next year's offense will be a pleasure to watch.

Oh wait, we will be a great defensive team. Yet, this team under Willard has never been a particularly great defensive team even when we had Fuquan Edwin who happened to be the best defensive player in the league.

Huh? Mobley shot 32% on the season and 26% in conference play. Both he and Sina were solid 3-pt #s two seasons ago but were terrible last year. Gibbs was great, but not sure why you guys think the #s Sina and Mobley put up can't be improved upon. (Not saying we are going to be a great 3-pt shooting team, I just don't get the references to Sina and Mobley leaving as being one of the reasons we may struggle).[/QUOTE]

One other thing on Sina, not trying to knock him, I hope he does well and think he will in that conference, and I know he was a top 150 recruit and Soffer and Singh aren't rated anywhere near that, but it's almost impossible to imagine that either one or both of them can't be more productive by their sophomore seasons than Sina was last year. Maybe even at some point during this coming season. They would almost have to be by default.
Sina wasn't a world beater, but he didn't hurt us either. He was a role player that did not routinely pass the ball to the other team, which was a step in the right direction for Seton Hall. If the past 5 years are any indication, it's entirely possible that whoever we trot out there can be much worse than Jaren Sina.

Oh wait, we will be a great defensive team. Yet, this team under Willard has never been a particularly great defensive team even when we had Fuquan Edwin who happened to be the best defensive player in the league.
Willard's 2011 team was very good on defense. Top 10 in the country according to Kempom. The 2012 team wasn't half bad either. If there is any glimmer of hope remaining with respect to Willard's coaching competency, that's it IMO.

It's funny, this team does resemble somewhat the 2011 team (Delgado/Pope, DRod/JRob, Carrington/Edwin, Singh/(Jackson, Hazell), Whitehead/Theodore, Gordon/Lawrence).

Sina wasn't a world beater, but he didn't hurt us either. He was a role player that did not routinely pass the ball to the other team, which was a step in the right direction for Seton Hall. If the past 5 years are any indication, it's entirely possible that whoever we trot out there can be much worse than Jaren Sina.
Not turning the ball over is huge. He just didn't really do anything else. He averaged 7 points and 2.3 assists/ game in 32 minutes. (55 total assists to 33 total turnovers). It'd be interesting to see some advanced metrics on some of these guys but IDK that they exist or at least don't know where to find them.

Going back to 3 point shooting, these are the combined #s for Gibbs, Sina and Mobley:

3FG FGA Pct
Total 140 376 37%
Conference 81 237 34%

By comparison, these were IW's #s.

3FG FGA Pct
Total 36 104 35%
Conference 20 62 32%

A great pickup by SHU!!!! Guy can ball and has always been underrated. Whats amazing is how in the womens game some things are so accepted yet with the men it is another story! This guy will bring toughness and hustle and could become a true fan favorite. SHU did well by making this happen!

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT