ADVERTISEMENT

Donation Match News

I don’t doubt that we have the right people in place to raise funds for NIL, but can someone please tell me what the gameplan is besides telling people “you have to do this for us to be competitive”

What is going to entice the average alumni to get involved?

April 24’ lol basically 3 years late .
This is what I responded to, "Still it’s far too late to help us over the next two years."

We will be ready to capitalize in 8 months.

The NCAA announced NIL guidelines on June 30, 2021. Willard's head was in Maryland immediately after the NCAA announced NIL guidelines, thus Willard made no effort to advance a NIL strategy during his tenure. SHU NIL got its start when Sha came on board in April 2022 and our NIL effort got serious when we hired Mike McBride in May of 2023. We are behind the leading institutions by 23 months and our peers by 13 months.

With NIL now being a more prevalent recruiting driver than relationships with a coach I wonder if there will be a trend amongst universities to decrease head coaching salaries & the number of assistants on the payroll? In the past, schools would pay top dollar to retain or attract coaches in large part because of their recruiting abilities (in addition to the x/o's). Now that the importance of coaches in recruiting has been supplanted by the lure of NIL $s it could make sense to shift more investment to NIL and realign the coaching payroll to be commensurate with their diminished responsibilities & clout. The school of course cannot simply shift the funds itself to NIL, but perhaps there's merit for fans to shift funding from university donations like PirateBlue to NIL under this premise.

This is what I responded to, "Still it’s far too late to help us over the next two years."

We will be ready to capitalize in 8 months.

The NCAA announced NIL guidelines on June 30, 2021. Willard's head was in Maryland immediately after the NCAA announced NIL guidelines, thus Willard made no effort to advance a NIL strategy during his tenure. SHU NIL got its start when Sha came on board in April 2022 and our NIL effort got serious when we hired Mike McBride in May of 2023. We are behind the leading institutions by 23 months and our peers by 13 months.
Don’t blame Willard blame Lyons and Felt for this massive head in sand reaction!

With NIL now being a more prevalent recruiting driver than relationships with a coach I wonder if there will be a trend amongst universities to decrease head coaching salaries & the number of assistants on the payroll? In the past, schools would pay top dollar to retain or attract coaches in large part because of their recruiting abilities (in addition to the x/o's). Now that the importance of coaches in recruiting has been supplanted by the lure of NIL $s it could make sense to shift more investment to NIL and realign the coaching payroll to be commensurate with their diminished responsibilities & clout. The school of course cannot simply shift the funds itself to NIL, but perhaps there's merit for fans to shift funding from university donations like PirateBlue to NIL under this premise.
You still need coaches who know how to recruit even if it’s just giving out $ figures, our lack of recruiting is 80% $$ and 20% horrific status staff.

more prevalent recruiting driver than relationships with a coach
To a degree this is a false narrative being used as an excuse for other inadequacies. It’s true that quality players aren’t going to play for free but it’s not an auction block.

Relationships matter. If they didn’t, assistant coaches wouldn’t be making $600k/year, coaches wouldn’t be spending more time recruiting than they ever have in the past. If it was just about money they would send their offer and sit back and wait for a decision.

Players have to buy what you’re selling.

To a degree this is a false narrative being used as an excuse for other inadequacies. It’s true that quality players aren’t going to play for free but it’s not an auction block.

Relationships matter. If they didn’t, assistant coaches wouldn’t be making $600k/year, coaches wouldn’t be spending more time recruiting than they ever have in the past. If it was just about money they would send their offer and sit back and wait for a decision.

Players have to buy what you’re selling.
10000% the head coach matters and probably than it ever has IMO. Because part of the sell for some is we may pay you less in NIL but I’m better positioned to develop you as a basketball player.

And assistants to varying degrees matter too I’m sure.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Top to bottom the staff matters, but for normal programs the assistants are doing the lions share of recruiting.

You don’t need the most NIL money but you need a competitive budget.

Also, on the importance of investing in basketball (NIL, facilities, coaching budgets, etc.)….check this out. If diverting funds from PirateBlue to NIL ensures a better basketball program then so be it. Rising tide floats all boats.

Top to bottom the staff matters, but for normal programs the assistants are doing the lions share of recruiting.

You don’t need the most NIL money but you need a competitive budget.

Also, on the importance of investing in basketball (NIL, facilities, coaching budgets, etc.)….check this out. If diverting funds from PirateBlue to NIL ensures a better basketball program then so be it. Rising tide floats all boats.

A word of caution about this tweet, though: UConn may have experienced an increase in applications, but if it tracks with all the previous research data on this subject, the quality of applicants did not see a significant rise in quality. It also doesn't speak to actual conversion of applicants, but even if they did enroll a larger than usual class, it wasn't an increase that did anything to boost the metrics of the incoming class.

10000% the head coach matters and probably than it ever has IMO. Because part of the sell for some is we may pay you less in NIL but I’m better positioned to develop you as a basketball player.

And assistants to varying degrees matter too I’m sure.
Couldn’t agree with this. We need to invest in the staff because that will be our ultimate selling point

Reactions: Gritty5837
According to their site they received 43,000 applications last year and 48,000 this year at $80 per application. If your premise is winning the championship is what did it, they collected $400,000 more in application fees compared to the previous year - an 11.6% increase.
And it only cost them how many ten of millions of dollars to reel that in? Impressive. How can I invest?

Look, we're no different (except that we don't win national championships), and we all willingly participate in this farce called major college athletics. I'd just like a space for the truth about its actual benefits (as opposed to the perceived or imagined benefits) to see the light.

Your NIL patience will soon be rewarded starting Monday and then more soon thereafter.

The three Mikes along with Bryan Felt have amazing plans soon to be announced.

remember when all it took to be a fan was to buy some tickets to a game once in a while to enjoy a night out. Now you have to donate every month, attend events, learn new players names every other month. Get emails from 4 different athletic “administrators”

remember when all it took to be a fan was to buy some tickets to a game once in a while to enjoy a night out. Now you have to donate every month, attend events, learn new players names every other month. Get emails from 4 different athletic “administrators”

Yeah I mean we also have guys on the board that used to walk to school uphill with no shoes. But times change.

What I see as the discussions about raising funds for athletics marches on is the lack of an overall strategic plan going forward on how SH intends to market itself to attract the average college student and along with that how to attract the athlete to make us competitive in all sports and where the funds to do so will come from. It is becoming clear that our event planning to do so is not connecting with our fan base and is not working and until we have the right plan and people in place it never will.

We know we need money. We know the rules have changed. Some may object on principle and be willing to do nothing even if it decimates hoops. But regardless of the schools plans, if we want hoops to have a chance and if we can, give a few bucks to Mike Walsh's org. Do you really notice if an extra ten bucks shows up on your visa card? Not enough of us are doing so if you ask me.

What I see as the discussions about raising funds for athletics marches on is the lack of an overall strategic plan going forward on how SH intends to market itself to attract the average college student and along with that how to attract the athlete to make us competitive in all sports and where the funds to do so will come from. It is becoming clear that our event planning to do so is not connecting with our fan base and is not working and until we have the right plan and people in place it never will.
I believe the school has been dramatically improving, the number of applicants, admissions and quality admissions on a regular annual basis the past few years. Something must be connecting. The Amazon College Tour posted the other day was outstanding. The campus has changed dynamically in many ways.

Just got a phone call from a reader on the site. He wanted help in donating $500.00 to Mike Walsh. I walked him through it.

That $500.00 just morphed into $1000.00.

Let's keep the ball rolling.

Mike (Walsh) I assume you are seeing this. Look for the donation.

Just got a phone call from a reader on the site. He wanted help in donating $500.00 to Mike Walsh. I walked him through it.

If someone makes a donation today to Hall Hands on Deck, does that get added to the Hall Ball Events total for the matching dollar challenge that now ends sometime in October?

Hall Hands on Deck just received a $500 donation which will go directly to the $400K matching campaign. All donations received through the end of October will got toward the campaign.

Thanks for your support!

In dealing with Bryan Felt yesterday he was made aware of the above donation. He knows the donor well and was very appreciative as said donor is a major contributor to SHU.

I have never been nor will I ever be someone who agrees with pure play for pay. But I also understand what the sport has morphed into and make the choice how I will support our program.

I have seen first hand what you have not. And that's how our players interact with youngsters and the less fortunate. I am proud of what I have seen and if I ever thought they were just mailing it in to cash a paycheck they would not see a dime of my money.

When I or the school post pictures of the events frequented by our players look past them and see the faces of the children, the faces of the disadvantaged, the faces of those in hospitals. The players mean the world to them and that goes far beyond just play for pay.

I know you don't financially support their effort and that's you choice. Mind is very much different.

Nice idea. I think you will start to see more and more things like this moving forward.

This is the way to get "NIL" money from someone like me who you're never going to convince has any value in paying the salaries of players. It's just not that important to me, and there's a certain sadness I feel for someone who does. Commodity I'd spend money on anyway with some stupid branding tie in? Sure, I'll buy that instead of Yuengling every now and again.

This is the way to get "NIL" money from someone like me who you're never going to convince has any value in paying the salaries of players. It's just not that important to me, and there's a certain sadness I feel for someone who does. Commodity I'd spend money on anyway with some stupid branding tie in? Sure, I'll buy that instead of Yuengling every now and again.

Agreed on this. There are several dozen breweries in Central and Northern NJ that distribute regionally. Could very easily partner with one on a project like this. Not only would it put coin in the coffers for NIL, but would serve as "free" advertising for Seton Hall as a brand.

What's a decent basketball cost these days? $50 or less? Have the players spend 3 minutes signing it as a team, put them on an NIL website for $250-$300 and I guarantee you'll have a steady flow of people buying those every year.

Agreed on this. There are several dozen breweries in Central and Northern NJ that distribute regionally. Could very easily partner with one on a project like this. Not only would it put coin in the coffers for NIL, but would serve as "free" advertising for Seton Hall as a brand.

What's a decent basketball cost these days? $50 or less? Have the players spend 3 minutes signing it as a team, put them on an NIL website for $250-$300 and I guarantee you'll have a steady flow of people buying those every year.
Sadly the obvious and easily done eludes the powers that be at SHU. Everything is secretive and/or geared to the big money people. Hopefully McBride changes that line of thinking and more things like described above are done. They’d be much more profitable!

That's great I hope the team has more engagement with the local community in Newark. Maybe get some hometown fans for once instead of just Alumni? I always thought about that since the market is there for basketball in that city

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT