ADVERTISEMENT

Donation Match News

The extension and new matching total gives SHU a reasonable chance to rake in $800,000.00. The money will be used to procure players as well as allow them to earn their keep.

I went to the BB camp run by Eric last season for children and I'm not sure who had more fun. The kids or the players. This was more than just about money. If you saw the players, two in particular who stood out, they being Jackson and Richmond, you would realize that these are good young men who are taking advantage of the pie being split more appropriately than it has been divided previously.

I don't blame them for doing such and am proud of their charity efforts visiting hospitals, dishing out food for the underprivileged during the holidays, and interacting with disadvantaged youngsters at Xmas time. That and so much more.

Everyone can chose to handle the NIL as they see fit. I chose to help the school/program in my own way by donating what I can financially afford.

Just listened to the latest Eye On College Basketball podcast. They polled over 100 college coaches and asked what is the MSRP for a high major starter. The avg answer was $200K (answers ranged from $75K - $500K+).

I know many on the trove has asked "how much do we need?" Using the information above, we would need ~$1M in annual NIL just for our starting lineup. I think it would be reasonable to topside another $300K for the bench bring the total to $1.3M. This is the exact number ($1.3M/yr) one of coaches told me we need in annual NIL to be competitive.
Insanity!

... you would realize that these are good young men who are taking advantage of the pie being split more appropriately than it has been divided previously.to
This is NOT "the pie being split more appropriately", this is a brand new pie funded solely on the backs of the fan(atic)s to pay the players to play for your team.

If you are OK with that, certainly have at it, but don't make it out to be something it's not.

This is NOT "the pie being split more appropriately", this is a brand new pie funded solely on the backs of the fan(atic)s to pay the players to play for your team.

If you are OK with that, certainly have at it, but don't make it out to be something it's not.
Fans should consider allocating a portion, all or none of Pirate Blue donations to the NIL based on their judgment. I don’t like NIL but I want a good team and thus PB will receive less.

Reactions: walshtrips and PF58
The extension and new matching total gives SHU a reasonable chance to rake in $800,000.00. The money will be used to procure players as well as allow them to earn their keep.

I went to the BB camp run by Eric last season for children and I'm not sure who had more fun. The kids or the players. This was more than just about money. If you saw the players, two in particular who stood out, they being Jackson and Richmond, you would realize that these are good young men who are taking advantage of the pie being split more appropriately than it has been divided previously.

I don't blame them for doing such and am proud of their charity efforts visiting hospitals, dishing out food for the underprivileged during the holidays, and interacting with disadvantaged youngsters at Xmas time. That and so much more.

Everyone can chose to handle the NIL as they see fit. I chose to help the school/program in my own way by donating what I can financially afford.

I don't disagree with any of this, and I'm glad to hear the players enjoy their time in these endeavors. I would politely counter that this isn't necessarily reflective of the "pie being split more appropriately". The pie is still the pie but, essentially, we as fans and alums are now also being asked to pay for the whipped cream and ice cream on top of it too.

The reality is that many simply cannot just divest any additional money from their personal finances to now pay players. The easy answer, as is slowly being given now, is to simply "divert" funds away from Pirate Blue to these NIL initiatives. But I pose the question here, how long can we afford to do this until A) Our athletic program at a University level is in dire straits B) Our "non revenue" sport(s) are materially and irreversibly harmed.

I certainly don't blame the student athletes for this situation. In reality, my position and comments aren't about assigning blame at all. My comments are simply pointing out the complications of "asking the alums to do more" or "do better" or just putting "Sha needs us" at our feet. Frankly, all of these statements were true when it was just about supporting Pirate Blue. Now we have 2 mouths to feed, plus our own. Let's also not forget the University at large either, for without it, the athletic program ceases to exist no matter how well funded the NIL is.

This is a precarious time for college athletics, and the collegiate experience as a whole. I am very much concerned that our University is not equipped and will not be able to handle the necessity of funding a 1M+ war chest every year. This chest isn't funded by revenue, it's funded by generosity, and the latter has limitations. Player "salaries" will only continue to grow, bad spending will inevitably happen (not a shot at our staff, just a reality of this process), and how many years can we really sustain this?

In addition to everything I said previously, part of my trepidation is that I feel like I'm just throwing my money away. I don't get a refund on my NIL expenditure if my coach brings in kids I don't like, or who aren't any good. Let's say I love the player and he's great, I and all of us have realistically only "bought" 1 year of his service, and maybe some other program with higher stature will steal him away and get his best years against us.

It certainly felt much better contributing to Pirate Blue, knowing my money went to improving the institution for the benefit of the student, and not NIL where it went to improving the student at the (hopeful) benefit of the institution.

Apologies for being such a wet blanket on this, not trying to be negative or dissuade anyone. Just want to share my feelings with like minded people and maybe someone will have something enlightening to say that'll change my mind.

Thanks

You don't need to donate your children's inheritance to the Kadary Richmond sneaker fund in order for us to be successful. If the average Joe fan just supports NIL thru great/fun events like the beefsteak that's all we need. These are fun events where you can get your money's worth. No one is leaving the beefsteak saying that was a waste of money.

If we can get the average Joe fan to participate to the tune of a few hundred dollars per year and the heavy hitters make serious contributions, we will be in business.

Like it or not basketball is the front porch of the university. A healthy basketball team attracts better students, drives donations across the board, impacts enrollment, etc. Participating in NIL indirectly benefits the university as a whole.

I have never been nor will I ever be someone who agrees with pure play for pay. But I also understand what the sport has morphed into and make the choice how I will support our program.

I have seen first hand what you have not. And that's how our players interact with youngsters and the less fortunate. I am proud of what I have seen and if I ever thought they were just mailing it in to cash a paycheck they would not see a dime of my money.

When I or the school post pictures of the events frequented by our players look past them and see the faces of the children, the faces of the disadvantaged, the faces of those in hospitals. The players mean the world to them and that goes far beyond just play for pay.

I know you don't financially support their effort and that's you choice. Mind is very much different.

I think if we start hosting events where the fans get some sort of experience out of the deal that will change a lot of people's opinion on NIL. Rutgers has partnered with the Front Office to do this and have had very positive results. You probably saw their recent TopGolf even which raised a ton of money in just a day.

The Front Office does awesome work. Would be great if we could bring them on board in some capacity.

Reactions: thehall07
I have seen first hand what you have not. And that's how our players interact with youngsters and the less fortunate. I am proud of what I have seen and if I ever thought they were just mailing it in to cash a paycheck they would not see a dime of my money.

When I or the school post pictures of the events frequented by our players look past them and see the faces of the children, the faces of the disadvantaged, the faces of those in hospitals. The players mean the world to them and that goes far beyond just play for pay.
All of this was always done before pay to play.

Paying others directly to do charity work is not charity any more than a forced donation is really a donation. This in what college athletics has now delved into with no push back just acquiescence.

Paying others directly to do charity work is not charity any more than a forced donation is really a donation. This in what college athletics has now delved into with no push back just acquiescence.

College athletics is now, essentially, a grift. A never-ending solicitation for money from fans, dressed up in fancy marketing and false promises, to line the pockets of players, coaches, and administrators.

I thought the same, appreciate you verbalizing it. Part of wearing the jersey should come some level of personal responsibility to do these things gratis, not because there is a paycheck waiting on the other end of it. I'm glad the players enjoyed it, and I'm glad the kids whose parents pay several hundred dollars support it too - the point is student athletes should be doing much of this stuff anyway; student athletes at a catholic university most of all.

Servant Leadership is a hallmark of our University's mission for its students. Putting oneself behind a paywall is not congruent with that idealogy.

And are we expected to believe $800,000 annually or whatever is required to supposedly fund just a starting lineup of a men’s BBall team is justified by players running camps and some other kids events, which programs have been doing for decades in order to promote the school and engage fans, both of which they already benefit from?

I’m just waiting to see how this affects schools all around and the market in general when teams start to lose.

There’s a loser in every game, and people are going to be taken aback when it’s them.

I just posted a similar point on the trove - I think Seton Hall basketball is seriously lacking with any sort of brand. It costs $0 to make a youtube channel.

If you're going to target the average fan, wouldn't it be an awesome resource to lead them towards a youtube channel showing the program and what goes on behind the scenes?

Imagine having a GM & 1-2 scout / player eval specific positions. You show them on the road - checking in at hotels, at AAU tournaments, talking to HS coaches, how they identify diamonds in the rough, int'l players, collaborating with Sha etc.

If you want people to invest hard earned money into the program I feel like this is a total no brainer. Show people competent basketball ops, show a social media presence. This would only help with recruiting as well.

Reactions: arcdreams
I just posted a similar point on the trove - I think Seton Hall basketball is seriously lacking with any sort of brand. It costs $0 to make a youtube channel.

If you're going to target the average fan, wouldn't it be an awesome resource to lead them towards a youtube channel showing the program and what goes on behind the scenes?
Creating content costs money and the school never wants to allow access to anything.

Creating content costs money and the school never wants to allow access to anything.

To be clear, I understand there's a 99.9% chance this wouldn't happen but the ROI would be worth it. You don't want to allow access don't be shocked people have waning interest in the program.

Reactions: thehall07
To be clear, I understand there's a 99.9% chance this wouldn't happen but the ROI would be worth it. You don't want to allow access don't be shocked people have waning interest in the program.
They have created content…. And a lot of it has been pretty good (thinking specifically about the Voyage project) … what does it say about the benefit if people can’t recall it?

Million dollars a year for sub par big east team is unfathomable. How about we create an NIL program that we can pay for top tier recruiting assistant coaches to assist the process.

• Haha
Reactions: HallGuy23

Then I suggest that you and others who seem to have major issues adapting to the new landscape take advantage of our open Q&A in 3 weeks on the Trove with Mike McBride.

And the charity work you speak of has always been done by our athletes, well before NIL came into existence. The key being the effort put into the endeavor not the cashing of any remittances.

Substitute the word coach for school and you know why it would never happen.
It’s both
They have created content…. And a lot of it has been pretty good (thinking specifically about the Voyage project) … what does it say about the benefit if people can’t recall it?
and the school never hired that kid and or have anyone other than students make any content. It’s run on a shoestring budget and I guess that’s our fault too though.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Then I suggest that you and others who seem to have major issues adapting to the new landscape take advantage of our open Q&A in 3 weeks on the Trove with Mike McBride.
I think highly of McBride but why would I ask him any questions about a play for pay topic I want no part of?

Reactions: shu09

Creating good content, and creating good content that is marketed well and builds a brand are two entirely separate things.

I think highly of McBride but why would I ask him any questions about a play for pay topic I want no part of?

Same. I feel like this has been a very healthy, productive dialogue (for the most part) about a very hot topic. We're on a message board for college basketball and I think this is a worthy discussion.

I don't have trouble "adapting to the new landscape" because I don't have faith in McBride or whatever it is we're being asked to be patient for. I'm having trouble adapting to it because we're a Catholic University and, among other things, we're rationalizing disbursing NIL money to teenagers so that they continue to do the servant leadership they used to do and should be continuing to do anyway. Not sure what I'm supposed to ask this gentlemen that will quell my heartfelt concerns about that.

Was the school painfully obtuse concerning NIL initiatives? Yes. Are we in a hole because of it? Yes. Is the school finally doing something about it? Yes. Will it make a difference? Good people are telling me yes, so I'm optimistic it will. I'll hold out hope that this can be transformed into something I feel better about participating in. For now, I'll continue to support Pirate Blue, the marginalized "non revenue" sports, and to the academic and philanthropic pursuits on campus.

What I would like to see is that these athletes, in return for whatever NIL money they receive, agree to re-engage our fan base at events that they used to in addition more targeted, private events. University Day, Season Ticket Holder Holiday Party, Open Practices, etc. When they make the commitment to come back to these events and open themselves up to everyone without an admission price attached to it, than I'll feel a little bit better about whatever else it is they are or aren't doing for their paychecks.

Substitute the word coach for school and you know why it would never happen.

It’s both

and the school never hired that kid and or have anyone other than students make any content. It’s run on a shoestring budget and I guess that’s our fault too though.
I don't disagree that the school is (a big) part of the problem. But anything like this, at least for now, is a complete non-starter under this regime. We don't even make announcements about incoming players.

I could be wrong but I suspect a lot of schools operate in a similar fashion in regards to this and other things. How many junior level staff barely make a living wage while the head coach makes more than the rest of his staff?

Why wouldn't schools cheap out on labor costs for creating social media content when they have students from their school of Communications dying to gain the experience to bring with them into the real world.

I think if we start hosting events where the fans get some sort of experience out of the deal that will change a lot of people's opinion on NIL. Rutgers has partnered with the Front Office to do this and have had very positive results.
Still it’s far too late to help us over the next two years.
I'm watching this evolve from the inside and experiential fundraising events are coming right around the corner. The first won't have much lead time, but what follows the first event will come with 2+ months notice. I went into a little more detail on the Trove.

thehall07 - this isn't so.

Mike F is a great addition to NIL fundraising. Combining the efforts from all sources, I've got no doubt that we will exceed everyone's expectations. We'll be well positioned by April 2024.

We need to be Hall In!!!

I experienced our Final 4 in 1989 and that run led to a huge increase in donations that positively impacted all aspects of the university. Setting aside a couple hundred for NIL goes way beyond enriching players, basketball success will lift the entire university.

Reactions: Seton75
Same. I feel like this has been a very healthy, productive dialogue (for the most part) about a very hot topic. We're on a message board for college basketball and I think this is a worthy discussion.

I don't have trouble "adapting to the new landscape" because I don't have faith in McBride or whatever it is we're being asked to be patient for. I'm having trouble adapting to it because we're a Catholic University and, among other things, we're rationalizing disbursing NIL money to teenagers so that they continue to do the servant leadership they used to do and should be continuing to do anyway. Not sure what I'm supposed to ask this gentlemen that will quell my heartfelt concerns about that.

Was the school painfully obtuse concerning NIL initiatives? Yes. Are we in a hole because of it? Yes. Is the school finally doing something about it? Yes. Will it make a difference? Good people are telling me yes, so I'm optimistic it will. I'll hold out hope that this can be transformed into something I feel better about participating in. For now, I'll continue to support Pirate Blue, the marginalized "non revenue" sports, and to the academic and philanthropic pursuits on campus.

What I would like to see is that these athletes, in return for whatever NIL money they receive, agree to re-engage our fan base at events that they used to in addition more targeted, private events. University Day, Season Ticket Holder Holiday Party, Open Practices, etc. When they make the commitment to come back to these events and open themselves up to everyone without an admission price attached to it, than I'll feel a little bit better about whatever else it is they are or aren't doing for their paychecks.
I agree that philanthropy is very important and expecting payment for volunteering at a charity is cringeworthy, but I don’t necessarily agree that extends to spending time with fans.

If fans want access to the players, open practices, holiday parties I see no issues with compensating they players no different than you would compensate any other vendor for their time and services. We aren’t entitled to their free time.

Reactions: doctorcb12

Nice idea. I think you will start to see more and more things like this moving forward.
Mental note never to buy that one lol. I'll match the promotion if I ever take my brewing commercial. On a more useful timeline for if a SHU nil entity wanted to do the same, I've been told that one of the owners of Jersey Girl Brewing is a SHU alum - so maybe they'd be willing?

I'm watching this evolve from the inside and experiential fundraising events are coming right around the corner. The first won't have much lead time, but what follows the first event will come with 2+ months notice. I went into a little more detail on the Trove.

thehall07 - this isn't so.

Mike F is a great addition to NIL fundraising. Combining the efforts from all sources, I've got no doubt that we will exceed everyone's expectations. We'll be well positioned by April 2024.

We need to be Hall In!!!

I experienced our Final 4 in 1989 and that run led to a huge increase in donations that positively impacted all aspects of the university. Setting aside a couple hundred for NIL goes way beyond enriching players, basketball success will lift the entire university.
April 24’ lol basically 3 years late .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT