ADVERTISEMENT

Donation Match News

Apparently, or so it’s been said here, this is what Felt’s buddy Eric does for a living and Seton Hall isn’t the only school they work with. If this is the case I would love to know the other schools and what they are doing for them.
HallBall/G3 runs lots of events for other schools and does them very well.

What they are not is a fundraising arm and they should not have been put in that role in first place.

Was JCalz cut loose before or after Mik McBride was hired? Any chance they could cut Felt’s buddy loose and let JCalz take over and have him work with HHOD?
No disrespect to jcalz (even though he ghosted me years ago) but no, just no.

Jcalz can have a great role as the Happy Chandler of Seton Hall.

HallBall/G3 runs lots of events for other schools and does them very well.

What they are not is a fundraising arm and they should not have been put in that role in first place.
And will not be in the future. That is why Mike M and Mike F were hired and why Mike W will soon become an important factor.

Reactions: SOBO1
That doesn’t answer my question and I highly doubt it will be answered in the coming weeks other than it seems like the answer to my question is that they aren’t working with JCalz and are going in a direction more on the level of something Hall Ball might be able to handle instead of doing what is truly needed. I truly want to believe that Mike McBride can get us on the right track but as long as Hall Ball is kept front and center in the efforts (or lack thereof) I just don’t see it happening and I see us just falling further behind.
I believe that JCalz could be a valuable contributor to NIL, and I don't know why the AD objected to working with him. JCalz doesn't need the university's support to contribute to NIL, and HHOD is proof of that. HHOD wanted to contribute and proceeded despite push back from the athletic department, we've shown that we can make a difference while gaining the trust of the university. HHOD didn't fold the tent when we faced opposition, we doubled down.

I'm assuming that JCalz has the financial wherewithal to make a significant contribution. He can easily make a difference now if he wanted to, and I'd be interested in knowing what's stopping him.

No disrespect to jcalz (even though he ghosted me years ago) but no, just no.

Jcalz can have a great role as the Happy Chandler of Seton Hall.
He obviously has a thing with Eric and throwing dumb idea's out there with exclamation points for emphasis. Why would someone in his (relative) youth who owns a law firm want to run SHU's NIL efforts? McBride was brought in for a reason, to fill that gap that G3 does not do...

Was JCalz cut loose before or after Mik McBride was hired? Any chance they could cut Felt’s buddy loose and let JCalz take over and have him work with HHOD?

Would love to know the plans his group had that the university poo-pooed. Maybe we need some more voices supporting what he wanted to do.
No. This is an incredibly misguided post. JCalz was trying to help. That chapter is over but he opened a lot of eyes. The University is now moving forward in a positive way. Thankfully the future direction is much better now. Let’s support Mike and SHU now and focus on that.

No. This is an incredibly misguided post. JCalz was trying to help. That chapter is over but he opened a lot of eyes. The University is now moving forward in a positive way. Thankfully the future direction is much better now. Let’s support Mike and SHU now and focus on that.
I know JCalz was trying to help but, like others, he was turned away in favor of the AD’s buddy. It’s sad that alums like JCalz and Mike Walsh have basically been turned away when they know what they are doing and could help. Mike Walsh has stayed the course and been patient whereas JCalz has seemingly stepped away at the moment, hopefully the university hasn’t burned a bridge here.

What I’ve seen from Hall Ball scares me more than impresses me. Hopefully Mike McBride will clean up this mess because we can’t have a third year of screwups. Time is off the essence.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It's doubtful that we will make our goal. But that shouldn't stop our giving what we can. I along with others have sent money to Mike Walsh. He will ensure that total will be given to the Challenge before the expiration date of September 4.

Right now we're slightly north of $200,000.00. Not great but at least it adds $400,000.00+ to the war chest.

You know this without any background info. Perhaps you can reach out to me as you have so many concerns and I will hook you up with Mike McBride directly.

Halldan1@comcast.net
My concerns have been posted here. If those in power to make the changes necessary are reading this board as you say then they have already seen my concerns. Mike McBride’s contact information, along with other Seton Hall administrators, is easily found on the Seton Hall website so reaching out to any of them should not be a problem but thank you for your offer to put me in contact.

Bottom line is actions speak louder than words at this point. Don’t tell me what you’re going to do, show me with your actions and results. I hope Mike McBride is able to make the changes necessary and isn’t afraid of success so that we will see the results we deserve.

Yup. Seems you are purposely being ignored. Most likely because there is no good answer to your question.
There’s no answer, plain and simple! When this is a colossal flop, and it will be, then we will all be blamed!

Why is it that Eric can seemingly knock it out of the park for other schools but can’t seem to do anything for Seton Hall!?

Last edited:
Reactions: thehall07
Hall Ball seemingly does none of their own marketing, especially where Seton Hall is concerned. They seem more than happy to let others do their marketing for them.

Apparently, or so it’s been said here, this is what Felt’s buddy Eric does for a living and Seton Hall isn’t the only school they work with. If this is the case I would love to know the other schools and what they are doing for them.

Mike McBride and Seton Hall need to ditch Hall Ball and put HHOD in charge sooner rather than later!
Eric doing this for free is not a good for Seton Hall. All good intention aside. If our primary NIL leader was not getting paid, it tells you we were behind on NIL and have to catch up quickly.

Eric doing this for free is not a good for Seton Hall. All good intention aside. If our primary NIL leader was not getting paid, it tells you we were behind on NIL and have to catch up quickly.
He also runs events, not fundraisers. The athletic department, and the players, should be advertising the hell out of this.

Our athletic department is inept enough to pay players NIL and not get it contracted that they have to tweet about NIL opportunities that will benefit them and/or future Pirates. Wouldn’t it be a novel idea if they actually used their name, image and likeness to earn money?

There’s no answer, plain and simple! When this is a colossal flop, and it will be, then we will all be blamed!

Why is it that Eric can seemingly knock it put of the park for other schools but can’t seem to do anything for Seton Hall!?
For the umpteenth time, Eric and his company are NOT fundraisers, they are event planners.

Your ire should not be with him and his company but with whomever thought it was a good idea to have them fundraise as well.

He also runs events, not fundraisers. The athletic department, and the players, should be advertising the hell out of this.

Our athletic department is inept enough to pay players NIL and not get it contracted that they have to tweet about NIL opportunities that will benefit them and/or future Pirates. Wouldn’t it be a novel idea if they actually used their name, image and likeness to earn money?
Them thinking ahead and or with any type of strategy lol

Look for an update sometime today.

When it comes out I will post it here.
Just got the email
Just this past week, another anonymous donor has come forward with a $50,000 matching pledge and has asked that Hall Ball extend the matching campaign through the end of October. This is exciting news as now all contributions made to Hall Ball will be matched dollar for dollar up to $400,000! This could mean that with your support, $800,000 could be raised to directly benefit Hall Ball's NIL offerings for student-athletes.

Just got the email
Just this past week, another anonymous donor has come forward with a $50,000 matching pledge and has asked that Hall Ball extend the matching campaign through the end of October. This is exciting news as now all contributions made to Hall Ball will be matched dollar for dollar up to $400,000! This could mean that with your support, $800,000 could be raised to directly benefit Hall Ball's NIL offerings for student-athletes.
Since Hall Ball is now running the Beefsteak dinner and donations will be going to their NIL fund rather than Pirate Blue, will those numbers be included in the donor match?

OK, I can only say this...love what I am hearing and you guys will love it too.

Just be patient. You'll soon have answers.
Dan Thanks, The October extension deadline is very good news, Giving us a bit more time to see what's coming and to assess the changing landscape could work much better for HHOD. welcome your further updates.

Reactions: Halldan1
Since Hall Ball is now running the Beefsteak dinner and donations will be going to their NIL fund rather than Pirate Blue, will those numbers be included in the donor match?
Very astute…

The $350-400k is already baked in. Those guys are giving it. They just need to save face to make the match. If donations don’t do it, beefsteak will put it over the top.

I think more promotion would be helpful, but how much? At this point, anyone who frequents college basketball message boards -- and probably anyone even close to a die-hard college hoops fans -- knows all about NIL. The question then in how many are willing to support it? You have a group that has already been hit up plenty, historically and in the near term. Both "boosters" of some financial status and average-joe fans who simply want to win more games and think this helps. You have another group that knows all about NIL and will not donate anything to it for many, real, legitimate and principled reasons.

I don't think trying to dress it up with marketing-voodoo moves the needle, but perhaps I'm naive and wrong. How do you further dress up hitting up fans to pay for Kadary to buy another pair of sneakers, or perhaps a car?

I think more promotion would be helpful, but how much? At this point, anyone who frequents college basketball message boards -- and probably anyone even close to a die-hard college hoops fans -- knows all about NIL. The question then in how many are willing to support it? You have a group that has already been hit up plenty, historically and in the near term. Both "boosters" of some financial status and average-joe fans who simply want to win more games and think this helps. You have another group that knows all about NIL and will not donate anything to it for many, real, legitimate and principled reasons.

I don't think trying to dress it up with marketing-voodoo moves the needle, but perhaps I'm naive and wrong. How do you further dress up hitting up fans to pay for Kadary to buy another pair of sneakers, or perhaps a car?

Or worse, you’re asking a lot of people to put forth a lot of effort and money to players that 50/50 will only play 1 season at each school. There’s just no point.

Reactions: Soyaqui

Sadly, it's fair to say that I fall into this camp. All of this has left me feeling very disenfranchised. While I understand the realities of NIL and what must now be done to stay competitive, I just can't will myself to "invest" in it. I'm basically forced into 3 buckets now:

1. Disburse my excess money to my alma mater, which has been around 167 years, whose crest adorns my degree, and whose grounds I met my wife on.

2. Use my excess money on my family, ensuring my son can afford to go to college, have new sneakers/toys/clothes, and someday drive a decent car.

3. Use my excess money and give it to random college kids, ensuring that they can afford to go to college (oh wait, the University gives them a free ride), have new sneakers (oh wait, the athletic sponsor gives them free sneakers), or ensures they drive a decent car (bingo).

Number 3 has to be a "no" for me right now. I had no quarrels with donating to Seton Hall athletics, because I believed that not only was my alma mater benefiting from it, but the athletes we recruited also benefited. Out of principle, I just don't feel good about doing the same with NIL as it only serves to benefit the kid for whom the check is cut for.

Anyone that knows me knows that I bleed Pirate Blue at the highest of levels. I'm Mr. Seton Hall to my friends, family, and colleagues. That said, I apologize to my fellow fans here for not jumping in on this like you all are, knowing full well what the consequences of it can be to our program.

Maybe my principles are antiquated, but it just doesn't feel right. I'm glad many of you are at peace or have made peace about this, but the final straw for me (as I've said before) came very early on, when my then-3 year old wanted to know where the "basketball mans" were during University Day last year, and I had to explain to him they were at a pizza place down the road, but you needed to pay "admission" to see them. Of all days to pull that, on University Day? I found that a very selfish, indulgent decision made over a few hundred bucks in the pocket of a bunch of teenagers that will have forgotten who gave it to them in a week. Not for me.

Just listened to the latest Eye On College Basketball podcast. They polled over 100 college coaches and asked what is the MSRP for a high major starter. The avg answer was $200K (answers ranged from $75K - $500K+).

I know many on the trove have asked "how much do we need?" Using the information above, we would need ~$1M in annual NIL just for our starting lineup. I think it would be reasonable to topside another $300K for the bench, bringing the total to $1.3M. This is the exact number ($1.3M/yr) one coach told me we need in annual NIL to be competitive.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT