ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake ’20

Why do I have such trouble following/understanding certain posts? Old age or arcane subject matter recognized by only a few?
My guess is a little of both, then again, I forgot the question...

Sha is sorely missed but these other guys are great. The program is headed in the right direction. If we don’t get another ‘20 recruit, we’re disappointed naturally but no need to freak. I think we’re still tourney bound the next three years (including this year of course), although mine and everyone else’s expectations are higher this year. In any event, I enjoy the competitive, hard nosed teams that Willard has been compiling. Willard, Lyons, assistants and supporters get the credit. Now it’s up to us to get them the facilities that will even the deck we’ve been dealt.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Ah. I see what you did there. Back to the childish nonsense. So I’m not supposed to post my opinion on a message board that the recruitment of Timberlake is vastly different than Whitehead because it is the truth but the posting police does t like it. Got it.

We have 50000 threads imploring people to support our team and speculating on attendance but then drive off a guy who has thousands of posts because he follows and supports the team. Makes sense.

You're missing the point. Seemingly 1 out of every 3 or 4 posts of yours mentions the recruitment of Whitehead and/or Tiny Morton and Oliver Antigua. We get it, you think it was slimy. All we're asking is that you give it a rest. It's ancient history now.

Fair enough. Those posts don’t come out of the blue. They are usually relevant to the context, ie, folks complaining about another team doing something shady towards a kid we want (or speculating as such), folks complaining about so-called package deals, folks comparing our ability to get a particular recruit to those past situations. Perhaps if some would avoid hypocrisy and be honest I wouldn’t feel compelled to respond on point.

But will take what you say and try to avoid mentioning so as to avoid needless back and forth. This board is a break from reality for something we are all passionate about and what makes it enjoyable.

You're missing the point. Seemingly 1 out of every 3 or 4 posts of yours mentions the recruitment of Whitehead and/or Tiny Morton and Oliver Antigua. We get it, you think it was slimy. All we're asking is that you give it a rest. It's ancient history now.

Most importantly on the initial topic, we are very much in play for Timberlake. As in a “bi-polar” world of geo-politics, it was easier to measure up our “odds” of landing him, when it was seemingly us vs UNC. Then, as soon as UNC was seemingly discarded as a realistic destination, many other possible well-placed suitors/destinations sprung up in level of probability (Miami, Providence, Pittsburgh, etc.). I guess even the especulation has become much more complicated for the pundits themselves. Just like a “multi-polar” world in geo-politics is a far more complicated scenario in foreign affairs.

Most importantly on the initial topic, we are very much in play for Timberlake. As in a “bi-polar” world of geo-politics, it was easier to measure up our “odds” of landing him, when it was seemingly us vs UNC. Then, as soon as UNC was seemingly discarded as a realistic destination, many other possible well-placed suitors/destinations sprung up in level of probability (Miami, Providence, Pittsburgh, etc.). I guess even the especulation has become much more complicated for the pundits themselves. Just like a “multi-polar” world in geo-politics is a far more complicated scenario in foreign affairs.
That’s a very good point.

Ah, but Slater in fact did predict where Timberlake was going and it was NC. He has since taken it down which in my opinion greatly skews the posted accuracy of their predictions.

I don't agree. Recruiting is very fluid and it's very possible that Timberlake was planning to commit to UNC until Timberlake realized that either UNC was going to bring in other top wing commits, or UNC decided to move on him from him, or it was mutual. Recruiting is always changing. UNC has offers out top three top 20 ranked wing players, and all 3 of them just recently took official visits. They have a 5-star PG committed and a 5-star PF and C committed. UNC is all in on adding high level wing players right now.

Anyway, I don't hold it against Slater. He's unquestionably one of the best recruiting insiders in the nation along with Evan Daniels and a couple of others. It's unfair to criticize them for not batting 1.000 in such a tricky business. But they both are often right more than they're wrong.

Regarding Earl Timberlake, in just trying to read the tea leaves, it does appear that Pittsburgh is out. That leaves Miami and Seton Hall, who he has already visited, and Providence who he's visiting on November 5th. There is also the wild card of Nate Oats and Alabama. Oats is doing VERY well at Alabama thus far. He was a great hire for them coming from Buffalo after succeeding Bobby Hurley. I've had the great privilege of listening to Oats speak at a coaching clinic- he's excellent. If Timberlake winds up taking an OV to Alabama that would put them squarely in the mix.

This is a very competitive race for Seton Hall. Miami has a beautiful campus and plays in the ACC, but they are trending downward as a program recently with an aging coach. Providence has a very well respected coach who is well liked, and with brand new state of the art facilities. Seton Hall also has a well respected coach, a consistent run of success and a top 20 team entering the season.

I know it's a lot of pressure, and it may not help SHU with Timberlake depending on when he announces his commitment, but an early season win over Michigan State would be unreal for Seton Hall in recruiting! Also, even if they lose, Seton Hall is playing an INCREDIBLE schedule. Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Battle 4 Atlants. It would help Seton Hall so much if they compete well with Sparty and win that opener against Oregon. This would certify SHU as a national level team that everyone will pay attention to for the entire season.

It's a brutal schedule, but Seton Hall has the opportunity to do turn it into something special. They don't have to win every game, but win most of them and compete well in all of them, and before you know it SHU will be gaining national buzz and knocking on the door of the top10....

Regarding Earl Timberlake, in just trying to read the tea leaves, it does appear that Pittsburgh is out. That leaves Miami and Seton Hall, who he has already visited, and Providence who he's visiting on November 5th. There is also the wild card of Nate Oats and Alabama. Oats is doing VERY well at Alabama thus far. He was a great hire for them coming from Buffalo after succeeding Bobby Hurley. I've had the great privilege of listening to Oats speak at a coaching clinic- he's excellent. If Timberlake winds up taking an OV to Alabama that would put them squarely in the mix.

This is a very competitive race for Seton Hall. Miami has a beautiful campus and plays in the ACC, but they are trending downward as a program recently with an aging coach. Providence has a very well respected coach who is well liked, and with brand new state of the art facilities. Seton Hall also has a well respected coach, a consistent run of success and a top 20 team entering the season.

I know it's a lot of pressure, and it may not help SHU with Timberlake depending on when he announces his commitment, but an early season win over Michigan State would be unreal for Seton Hall in recruiting! Also, even if they lose, Seton Hall is playing an INCREDIBLE schedule. Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Battle 4 Atlants. It would help Seton Hall so much if they compete well with Sparty and win that opener against Oregon. This would certify SHU as a national level team that everyone will pay attention to for the entire season.

It's a brutal schedule, but Seton Hall has the opportunity to do turn it into something special. They don't have to win every game, but win most of them and compete well in all of them, and before you know it SHU will be gaining national buzz and knocking on the door of the top10....

He's visiting Providence on November 5th? When was that announced or are you leveraging very old news? I thought he was very clear that he was done making visits.

He's visiting Providence on November 5th? When was that announced or are you leveraging very old news? I thought he was very clear that he was done making visits.
Wolf doesn’t know what he is writing about...the PC visit was from Nov 2018.

Wolf loves his speculation...ET was going to commit to UNC and not recognizing the 247 guys switch picks at will..., Alabama might get a visit...ET will sign late,..again PC and their facilities GAWD.

It’s almost as wolf’s info is kinda like having a test in the morning and you haven’t studied or gone to class... you try to read up as much as you can in a short amount of time, when you write it down it sounds good but then there are a few big flaws in the info which screws it all up.

Basically it’s good reading up on a players recruitment that you obviously haven’t followed at all then just try to regurgitate when you read to make it sound like you know what you are talking about

He is trying very hard. Have to give him credit. Pretty good for a Villanova fan.

It’s almost as wolf’s info is kinda like having a test in the morning and you haven’t studied or gone to class... you try to read up as much as you can in a short amount of time, when you write it down it sounds good but then there are a few big flaws in the info which screws it all up.

Basically it’s good reading up on a players recruitment that you obviously haven’t followed at all then just try to regurgitate when you read to make it sound like you know what you are talking about

Ummm Timberlake canceled his Alabama visit to go to South Orange on September 28. Bama has been out for some time.

And of course Slater and the 247 guys are right more than they’re wrong: they change their crystal balls one or two days before an announcement.

Wolf needs to return to his pack.

Reactions: deheremike
No doubt but a little different scenario to say the least. And I’d never insult Skinn by lumping him in with Tiny freaking Morton.
It wasn't comparing Tiny to Skinn. Both had a close relationship with potential recruits, unlike Tiny, Skinn is already in the fold.

Anyway, I don't hold it against Slater. He's unquestionably one of the best recruiting insiders in the nation along with Evan Daniels and a couple of others. It's unfair to criticize them for not batting 1.000 in such a tricky business. But they both are often right more than they're wrong.
As would I be if I could continue to change my pick right up until the day of the commitment.

Reactions: thehall07
Ummm Timberlake canceled his Alabama visit to go to South Orange on September 28. Bama has been out for some time.

And of course Slater and the 247 guys are right more than they’re wrong: they change their crystal balls one or two days before an announcement.

Wolf needs to return to his pack.

Forgive him for he knows not what he says..... Lol

As would I be if I could continue to change my pick right up until the day of the commitment.

I agree 100% with you Halldan1. These "Guru's" don't really have the inside info people are giving them credit for. I can pick up a track program and pick the favorite, and when my pick gets scratched, I can pick the next favorite and repeat that process over and over. My statistics would look like a professional handicapper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT