ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Anselem

I think you’re way off if you’re suggesting practice facility is not a big deal.

I guess you’re predicting Rick will get get 5 5 stars (maybe 2, accounting for Iona being lower level than the hall at least conference wise)

We’d never pay Cal or anyone 10M. So your example i think is too unrealistic to warrant consideration We’d pay someone about 3M. A 3M guy needs resources.

D1 athletes want to play for K or Cal. If they’re not good enough then they’re then basically going on coach, facilities and fit.

while I love Willard, at the end of the day, right now he’s not a lot different than Wojo, Cooley, the guy at butler, .... ALL of those schools have legit practice facilities.

I have strong academic and non hoops athletic ties to SH and yet it’s painful for me to see a dollar spent on anything other than getting better hoops facilities esp right now while the iron is or at least was definitely hot; all ships rise with the tide and hoops is the ocean at SH.

we’re not a football or state school, we get basically nothing from the arch diocese of Nwk, we’re respectable academically but enrollment alone hurts our chances of having a lot of wealthy donors.

Strike while the iron is hot so I can stop reading the tired question “why can’t we close on top talent after all of this recent success?”
I'm not suggesting we'd actually pay him 10mil. I'm saying if SHU wanted him it would take that. You can't compare Iona to SHU. We're in a power conference and a top 35 team consistently vs a low major. Gonzaga is a comparable school. Their practice facility from the pictures looks pretty comparable yet they consistently get top talent to commit. We need a better recruiter. Willard needs to find a guy who can close.

I'm not suggesting we'd actually pay him 10mil. I'm saying if SHU wanted him it would take that. You can't compare Iona to SHU. We're in a power conference and a top 35 team consistently vs a low major. Gonzaga is a comparable school. Their practice facility from the pictures looks pretty comparable yet they consistently get top talent to commit. We need a better recruiter. Willard needs to find a guy who can close.
Gonzaga’s athletic facilities compared to ours are not comparable aside from backboards, rims, wood floors and the use of a blue shade of paint.

Our facilities are actually more comparable to Iona’s.

But assume you’re right-then we need to pay an assistant or assistants more $ and probably increase their budget. That I’m sure we can agree on.

But you need to acknowledge we’re very much behind the 8 ball re facilities

Has anyone seen Nova’s facilities? I don’t think they have anything that special. But they do have Wright and they do have an established culture that tops a number of things.

Has anyone seen Nova’s facilities? I don’t think they have anything that special. But they do have Wright and they do have an established culture that tops a number of things.
They’re very nice. Classy look.

They also have the legit campus arena; they should use it more imo but I understand why they don’t.

Part of the reason those facilities came to fruition is due to celebrity alumni giving back. Kyle Lowry donated to Villanova, Draymond Green donated 3.1 million to Michigan St, Roy Hibbert/Jeff Green donated to Georgetown, Chris Paul to Wake Forrest, etc. When this is all over we should refocus on getting donations from our own celebrity alumni. Adrian Griffin,Arturas,Ley,Raf,Vitale, Dule Hill(actor on psych), Naturi Naughton(actor on Power). Delgado's class could even make a donation collectively and we could dedicate a wing to them. I still don't get for the life of me why this facility is so important because when I look at the videos, its not like SHU doesn't have a court/weight room/study lounge etc, but we have to do what is necessary to stay in the race.

Hall 91 they have a state of the art facility across the street from their newly upgraded on campus facility. It's gorgeous. Every BE team's facilities are very nice except for ours which are tiny, we practice in a dumpy basement with no windows and appear to be about 45 years behind the other programs. Here you go:

Hall 91 they have a state of the art facility across the street from their newly upgraded on campus facility. It's gorgeous. Every BE team's facilities are very nice except for ours which are tiny, we practice in a dumpy basement with no windows and appear to be about 45 years behind the other programs. Here you go:

Why can't they just practice at Walsh Gym court?

Reactions: TomD82
Part of the reason those facilities came to fruition is due to celebrity alumni giving back. Kyle Lowry donated to Villanova, Draymond Green donated 3.1 million to Michigan St, Roy Hibbert/Jeff Green donated to Georgetown, Chris Paul to Wake Forrest, etc. When this is all over we should refocus on getting donations from our own celebrity alumni. Adrian Griffin,Arturas,Ley,Raf,Vitale, Dule Hill(actor on psych), Naturi Naughton(actor on Power). Delgado's class could even make a donation collectively and we could dedicate a wing to them. I still don't get for the life of me why this facility is so important because when I look at the videos, its not like SHU doesn't have a court/weight room/study lounge etc, but we have to do what is necessary to stay in the race.
The guy with the most $$$ not mentioned is Sam D

This is just for football,but just look how this can be impressive to a recruit .

Reactions: ceballoj
Comparing Gonzaga’s and Nova’s facilities with SHU is ludicrous. I’ve been to games at the Pavillion before it was upgraded and there is no comparison.

SHU has made some improvements but we have a long way to go. IMO the facilities issue is a key factor why we haven’t closed on a few more kids. Its not we “can’t close.” We just got Aiken, Conway and Jackson.

We have a great venue for our home games but that’s not where kids spend the majority of their time.

Providence got their practice facility done. It was mentioned here, but it didn't seem like too long ago and now it is up and running going on almost 2 years already?

https://friars.com/facilities/ruane-friar-development-center-and-innovation-lab/27

It took a while to get done at PC... the deal included buying private homes and also part of street from the city (good luck getting that done in NJ) and a portion includes use by the general student population for non-athletic use. They went through a lot before they ever broke ground. They also were fortunate there where all along the student center built in the 70s was attached to Alumni Hall.... imagine if SHU was set up that way, where everything was connected like that. Instead, SHU made the decision back in the 1930s to build their “big” arena on a then-isolated part of the campus.

Oh, and don’t forget that PC had a big donor.... maybe George Kurtz can someday be a guy like that for SHU.

Just think.... the players spend slightly more time at the Prudential Center than season ticket holders. And that’s no exaggeration.

When it comes to the importance of facilities and living arrangements, look at it through the eyes of a 17 year old kid being shown around a bunch of different college campuses who are recruiting him, rather than through the eyes of a grown up graduate of the school who applied one day in hopes that he would be accepted. Kind of a big difference.

Just think.... the players spend slightly more time at the Prudential Center than season ticket holders. And that’s no exaggeration.

When it comes to the importance of facilities and living arrangements, look at it through the eyes of a 17 year old kid being shown around a bunch of different college campuses who are recruiting him, rather than through the eyes of a grown up graduate of the school who applied one day in hopes that he would be accepted. Kind of a big difference.
Absolutely. It's all about perception for the kids regarding looks. They want something sharp, and flashy, not run down and drab. The schools with great looking facilities definitely have a big leg up.

Absolutely. It's all about perception for the kids regarding looks. They want something sharp, and flashy, not run down and drab. The schools with great looking facilities definitely have a big leg up.

All I'm saying is a good recruiter would never use that as an excuse. You take any household name coach who's known to be a great recruiter and he'll close the deal more times than not. Amaker recruited a top 5 class. Same facility. I love Willard as a coach but his shortcoming is his recruiting. Truth is these top prospects want to go to a program that will get them drafted. We've yet to produce that. IW was supposed to be that player. Didn't happen. We need a couple kids to be lottery picks. That's Cal's whole pitch.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and mbraue
All I'm saying is a good recruiter would never use that as an excuse. You take any household name coach who's known to be a great recruiter and he'll close the deal more times than not. Amaker recruited a top 5 class. Same facility. I love Willard as a coach but his shortcoming is his recruiting. Truth is these top prospects want to go to a program that will get them drafted. We've yet to produce that. IW was supposed to be that player. Didn't happen. We need a couple kids to be lottery picks. That's Cal's whole pitch.
I hear what you’re saying but comparing amaker’s recruiting success in 2000 (i.e. pre facilities arms race) to what Willard is going up against in 2020 is apples and oranges. The delta wasn’t as extreme. No one had $100M+ practice facilities. It was more of a level playing field back then.

Northwestern which is arguably one of the worst programs in the nation recently invested $300M+ into a sports practice facility. Point being it’s not just the blue bloods with these extreme amenities....it’s everyone.

I hear what you’re saying but comparing amaker’s recruiting success in 2000 (i.e. pre facilities arms race) to what Willard is going up against in 2020 is apples and oranges. The delta wasn’t as extreme. No one had $100M+ practice facilities. It was more of a level playing field back then.

Northwestern which is arguably one of the worst programs in the nation recently invested $300M+ into a sports practice facility. Point being it’s not just the blue bloods with these extreme amenities....it’s everyone.

Look they're not practicing on a blacktop inner city court with bent rims and broken glass on the court. We don't have the real estate to build such a facility. Only option would be to turn Walsh into a practice facility and forgo on campus games for mens and womens basketball. Bottom line is that's not the reason we're losing recruits. Name the recruit we didn't get that sited the practice facility as the reason they chose a school over SHU.

First, IW was drafted and played two seasons.
Second, Amaker was recruiting 20 years ago. Totally different world. And bolted in part when he realized he couldn’t sustain it.
Third, Amaker was the shiny new object in college coaching coming with the Coach K imprimatur.
Apples and oranges comparison.

Look they're not practicing on a blacktop inner city court with bent rims and broken glass on the court. We don't have the real estate to build such a facility. Only option would be to turn Walsh into a practice facility and forgo on campus games for mens and womens basketball. Bottom line is that's not the reason we're losing recruits. Name the recruit we didn't get that sited the practice facility as the reason they chose a school over SHU.

giphy.gif

Reactions: setonball46

How do you know that? The comparisons between now and 20 years ago are tired. How would you compare aspects of your life between now and then? Bet they are quite different.... 20 years is a long time.

Ok back to facilities....just found this posted on Twitter....lol

Where’s Seton Hall? Lol

it seems SHU's degree has not produced any big time donor in recent memory. u for sure am not one. those 2 actors ive never heard of probably have normal means and likely that shus theater dept didnt bolster an esteemed resume

shu bball has also not produced any NBA players. kyle lowry, draymond etc prob have more money than all of those shu guys combined.

combine that with south orange doing everything in their power to us over and it makes it pretty hard to compete with facilities.

surprised we havent at least renovated that rec center. lipstick on a pig down in the aux gym could even help.

The lipstick has already been applied. There is nothing more than can be done to that dump.

Hopefully the bond will pass when this virus nonsense runs its course and then construction can begin on and off campus.

Reactions: SOBO1
Scrooge McDuck approves of WKU's recruiting strategy.

Western Kentucky has been a thorn in our side since 92-93.

Hey, if they want to enjoy sparkling facilities at Western Kentucky with $tansbury, go ahead. Enjoy. Enjoy the great practices in pristine facilities.

Meanwhile, our guys will enjoy playing in the NCAA Tournament.

Hey, if they want to enjoy sparkling facilities at Western Kentucky with $tansbury, go ahead. Enjoy. Enjoy the great practices in pristine facilities.

Meanwhile, our guys will enjoy playing in the NCAA Tournament.
Honestly, their facilities aren't even that good. Plus, it's Bowling Green KY... I've been there many a time and it's not a thrilling place for a college aged person.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
First, IW was drafted and played two seasons.
Second, Amaker was recruiting 20 years ago. Totally different world. And bolted in part when he realized he couldn’t sustain it.
Third, Amaker was the shiny new object in college coaching coming with the Coach K imprimatur.
Apples and oranges comparison.
He bolted because he was having an affair with someone at the school and didn't have a choice.

IW was drafted in second round. Not the same impact as a lottery or high first round pick.

You ignored the question posed...can you name a recruit who gave as a reason for not coming here the practice facility?
can you name one recruit that publicly list all the reasons he didnt choose a school? cant think of one in all of history. they dont announce that stuff. they just announce why they chose the school they committed too, and even then they dont give the actual reason

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
can you name one recruit that publicly list all the reasons he didnt choose a school? cant think of one in all of history. they dont announce that stuff. they just announce why they chose the school they committed too, and even then they dont give the actual reason
I read all the time why they chose the school the go to from the style of play, playing time, the coach, program give me best chance to get to the next level, etc. NEVER once have I heard that the practice facility was a reason they chose a school.

Reactions: deheremike
I read all the time why they chose the school the go to from the style of play, playing time, the coach, program give me best chance to get to the next level, etc. NEVER once have I heard that the practice facility was a reason they chose a school.
yea as i mentioned, theyre canned responses and the good ones cant say "because they gave me money and my mom a house"

This is the truth behind reporting a commitment but they don’t tell you this in their tweet. In the following non-exagération Zagsgotsruns is the reporter.

Zagsgotsruns: Why did you choose to go here?

Recruit: The school gave Bertie, my NaNa, a scholarship worth $70,000 for being the best NaNa in The US, my mom got a cushy job working in the theatre box office making $3500 a week for 40 weeks and the summers off, and my brother and sister get a legacy scholarship worth $50,000 when it’s time for them to go to college and free meals and haircuts on campus.

Zagsgotsruns: You did well.

Recruit: Well I didn’t mention my new Mercedes, the untraceable off-shore account, and the French Chalet in the Swiss Alps!

Zagsgotruns: And all I get is the knickers off high school kids like you, in order to be able to post your commitment first on Tweeter and keep your “compensation package” on the DL.

Recruit: Here you go as promised (handing his knickers over to Zagsgotsruns).

Zagsgotsruns: (smelling the worn knickers) Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Ohhhhhhh....Can you autograph this for me and take a picture with me for proof that I was in the same room as you?

Recruit: Sure but hurry up. I need to check-up on my employees at my new restaurant.

lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT