ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Anselem

He bolted because he was having an affair with someone at the school and didn't have a choice.

IW was drafted in second round. Not the same impact as a lottery or high first round pick.
I would like someone to confirm your first point on Amaker.
On your second point, you are moving the goal post. You said we didn’t have anyone drafted, period. IW was drafted 2nd round, recieved guaranteed money and was covered extensively in NYC media while at SHU and with the NETS.

All I'm saying is a good recruiter would never use that as an excuse. You take any household name coach who's known to be a great recruiter and he'll close the deal more times than not. Amaker recruited a top 5 class. Same facility. I love Willard as a coach but his shortcoming is his recruiting. Truth is these top prospects want to go to a program that will get them drafted. We've yet to produce that. IW was supposed to be that player. Didn't happen. We need a couple kids to be lottery picks. That's Cal's whole pitch.

On your second point, you are moving the goal post. You said we didn’t have anyone drafted, period. IW was drafted 2nd round, recieved guaranteed money and was covered extensively in NYC media while at SHU and with the NETS.

My original quote said we need a few lottery picks..

At least top half of first round. If Dayton can get an obi toppin why can't we? Guaranty here didn't go there because of. Dayton's practice facility.

Obi Toppin did not have a rating according to the 247 website. He had offers from Dayton, Illinois, Miss St, Rhode Island. Interest but no offer from Georgetown.

Reactions: Hallsome
Look they're not practicing on a blacktop inner city court with bent rims and broken glass on the court. We don't have the real estate to build such a facility. Only option would be to turn Walsh into a practice facility and forgo on campus games for mens and womens basketball. Bottom line is that's not the reason we're losing recruits. Name the recruit we didn't get that sited the practice facility as the reason they chose a school over SHU.
Is it not enough for you that literally everyone with inside knowledge says that the facilities hurt us?

one could just as easily say many recruits we lost out on was because of facilities.

No player ever explains why they didn’t go somewhere. They only say why they went somewhere. Flcont, happy to here an example of a recruit who explained why they didn’t go somewhere. You can’t because the player generally says good stuff about all the runner ups and then just says what they like about the school they chose.

Please name a recruit from the last 7 years who said I’m going to seton hall because of the facilities - that might be the better question.

Part of the reason those facilities came to fruition is due to celebrity alumni giving back. Kyle Lowry donated to Villanova, Draymond Green donated 3.1 million to Michigan St, Roy Hibbert/Jeff Green donated to Georgetown, Chris Paul to Wake Forrest, etc. When this is all over we should refocus on getting donations from our own celebrity alumni. Adrian Griffin,Arturas,Ley,Raf,Vitale, Dule Hill(actor on psych), Naturi Naughton(actor on Power). Delgado's class could even make a donation collectively and we could dedicate a wing to them. I still don't get for the life of me why this facility is so important because when I look at the videos, its not like SHU doesn't have a court/weight room/study lounge etc, but we have to do what is necessary to stay in the race.

Dule Hill from Pysch went to Seton Hall??? Never knew that. No wonder I loved the show so much

The lipstick has already been applied. There is nothing more than can be done to that dump.

Hopefully the bond will pass when this virus nonsense runs its course and then construction can begin on and off campus.
Key word “off” campus. It’s the only viable solution. School needs to get creative and try to expand the footprint.

Due to the housing shortage it makes it nearly impossible to properly renovate Boland Hall because they only have a 2 or 3 month window to work. In reality that building NEEDS to be demolished and rebuilt to today’s standards (new dorms being built across the nation are like luxury apartment buildings). The problem is unless they can figure out a way to house all those kids somewhere else for a solid year or two it can’t be done.

Is it not enough for you that literally everyone with inside knowledge says that the facilities hurt us?

one could just as easily say many recruits we lost out on was because of facilities.

No player ever explains why they didn’t go somewhere. They only say why they went somewhere. Flcont, happy to here an example of a recruit who explained why they didn’t go somewhere. You can’t because the player generally says good stuff about all the runner ups and then just says what they like about the school they chose.

Please name a recruit from the last 7 years who said I’m going to seton hall because of the facilities - that might be the better question.
I can't name a recruit that gave the reason why they went to a school as the practice facility. Practice facility is NEVER mentioned. Stop providing a crutch.

Last edited:
How in the last 20 years has this Amaker Mistress theory never been floated on this board, or is that what you guys talk about on The Trove?

It is a crutch. You guys have made it larger than life. Almost to the point where he will start mentioning it, sort of like how the Big East Schedule makers are out to screw him too.

Reactions: flconticello
Schools are not pouring these large amounts of monies into building these state of the arts practice facilities unless there’s a valid reason for it and the obvious answer is that the state of a university’s athletic infrastructure is a factor in attracting the higher rated athlete. When a player that you’re recruiting comes for his official visit the staff’s goal is to sell him on why he should come to your school and included in that is where he’s going to play his games and where he’s going to practice . Would where SH practices impress anyone especially when the school’s that you’re competing against for that player all have newer and far superior practice facilities. Without an on campus arena the place where a basketball player is going to spend his time practicing or working one on one with a coach is the practice facility and ours is a dump , the worst in the BE for sure and that’s the reality for our program.

Reactions: SOBO1
Just ask yourself this question...if facilities don’t matter why are schools investing $75M-$100M+ in practice facilities dedicated to 13 students?

FAKE NEWS!!!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
There's a simple answer and Dick, based on his graduating in 1975, will tell you why as he discusses what the campus looked like pre-Big East.
Dan, do you think any of the posters complaining about pretzels ever bought one from the guy at the beginning of the path to the arts and sciences bldg?

Reactions: Halldan1
Schools are not pouring these large amounts of monies into building these state of the arts practice facilities unless there’s a valid reason for it and the obvious answer is that the state of a university’s athletic infrastructure is a factor in attracting the higher rated athlete. When a player that you’re recruiting comes for his official visit the staff’s goal is to sell him on why he should come to your school and included in that is where he’s going to play his games and where he’s going to practice . Would where SH practices impress anyone especially when the school’s that you’re competing against for that player all have newer and far superior practice facilities. Without an on campus arena the place where a basketball player is going to spend his time practicing or working one on one with a coach is the practice facility and ours is a dump , the worst in the BE for sure and that’s the reality for our program.

Never mind where he’s going to play his games or practice.... where he’s going to live is also a huge factor

Never mind where he’s going to play his games or practice.... where he’s going to live is also a huge factor

You’re right and when you get into a school’s non- athletic infrastructure the quality of housing is equally as important and to the non-athletic infrastructure let’s not forget the need to have a student center with all the “ bells and whistles” .

Reactions: TheGucc
perhaps commercial real estate prices will drop due to this pandemic and theres some sort of opportunity. real estate companies usually needs something like this to happen to get an edge. gotta be creative. maybe shu should look into this? maybe even residential?

Ask me this in 2 years when Pitino starts landing 4 and 5 star recruits at Iona and their stellar facility.

Yes, five-star players are going to be clamoring to go to a program with almost no television exposure. The MAAC contract with ESPN covered five regular season games last year, all of them on ESPNU. That's for the entire league.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Yes, five-star players are going to be clamoring to go to a program with almost no television exposure. The MAAC contract with ESPN covered five regular season games last year, all of them on ESPNU. That's for the entire league.

No one heard of Gonzaga before Few. That conference with the exception of St Mary's is awful. Take Gonzaga out and the conference is no better than the MAAC. He'll get players.

No one heard of Gonzaga before Few. That conference with the exception of St Mary's is awful. Take Gonzaga out and the conference is no better than the MAAC. He'll get players.

I'll ignore the fact that Gonzaga made a Sweet Sixteen before Mark Few became head coach. Or that the WCC would have had three top eight seeds in this year's NCAA tournament. That's one more at large bid and as many single digit seeds as the MAAC has had in its history dating back to 1982. But, yeah, take away Gonzaga and the two leagues are about equal.

It took years for Few to get Gonzaga to the point they were a destination for top ranked players. TV exposure played a large part in that. Gonzaga was probably on national TV more times before Thanksgiving this year than the entire MAAC was for the season. I can find three WCC games a week on ESPN/ESPN2 during the season. Gonzaga, St. Mary's and BYU all have vastly higher national profiles than any MAAC school. Pitino will be gone before Iona gets to that point.

Sure, Pitino will get players to Iona they wouldn't ordinarily get. Just like Bobby Gonzalez did at Manhattan 20 years ago. They won't be top level players because those guys won't give Iona a sniff. They're more likely to be the type of guys who might be able to make a contribution right away at higher level program but wouldn't be difference makers. These kids still want to go to a place where they can get TV exposure and help build their brands. ESPN3 won't cut it.

I will enter this discussion having lived and breathed the notion that facilities don't matter. Because RU didn't have the facilities and I didn't like hearing about it.....the buzzword, even from SHU and others in the old Big East was, "is RU dedicated to caring or making an investment into the program or being about basketball "???

There was a RU court club story many years ago when FHJ was the coach and he outwardly complained that RU wouldn't get the kids we lost recruiting to Notre Dame or whomever....because ND had a million dollar sound system, fireworks, state of the art scoreboard that introduced the players and parent names during official visits...and I sat there wondering "is this guy serious"??....Because RU didn't even have a sound system at the RAC, or a dedicated facility to practice??

Fast forward and for every RU football game since Waters, FHJ, Mike Rice, the "official visit" for RU hoops centered around a home football game. 35K, 40, 45K fans, full student section and you could spot RU coaches pointing out the fan enthusiasm and energy and it was in some ways the highlight of excitement or energy. It was the one thing or place where RU placed some upgrades or investment into (football)....while still woefully behind 90% of other major college football programs.

BUT

If you pitch all of these things, combined with student sections & everything else.....it is very difficult to compete, without it, even for myself, who denied that it could not matter that much, if it all.

Let me simplify it this way...if SHU wanted to invite FS1 for a few hours a day for a full week to campus to watch practice and behind the scenes of locker rooms, rehab facilities, and needed to have cameras and media present, what would they see??

Would the media have a proper place to plug in their laptops, sit comfortably to watch practice?? Would there be a potential small cafeteria for a sandwich, wrap, salad, beverages to take care of Steve Lavin, Gus Johnson and Raftery, or let's expand it to others that are just used to a certain standard to work as a film crew etc...??

These facilities aren't going to prevent Myles Powell or Quincy McKnight from scoring on GameDay. The question is how much does the program emphasize game day as the focal point of the program OR does it prioritize the other 340 to 350 days a year and use of the facility??

If you have both a great game day arena AND facility, it's tough to beat with the right coaches....if a program is missing any of the 3 (coaches, game day environment and facilities), you have a hurdle that others may not have. The best programs will ensure 2 of the 3 are in place (facilities and student/fan support) to prevent it from being anything else other than it being solely on the coaches to create a game plan and recruiting talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT