ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Tough one, was there for taking. Man one less mistske and game dynamic changes and the pressure would have mounted on KS.

Thanks seniors.

They certainly got the home town calls...Oh wait this is supposed to be a neutral site .. We literally didn't get one call go our way all night. One call our way... Desi gets that turnover. .. game had 1 more minute.. Any of these and we pull this out.. Anyway.. disappointing but proud of the effort.

Nothing to hang our heads about. Kansas is Kansas for a reason. This isn't a vintage Kansas team by a long shot - they aren't deep, especially in the front court, their only big was hurt (which allowed Angel to dominate), and their best player had a terrible game. So it sucks that we got them on a off night and didn't pull it out. But I'm happy with the effort, there is a "moral victory" element to this for me given where we are as a program and where Kansas is (always), and there were times in the second half when they kept extending to 10 that I thought we would lose by 15+.

Thank you Angel for playing like the warrior you are and have been, and thank you Deanno putting on a show towards the end. No kid deserved that more than Deanno. We can nitpick and talk about turnovers, missed opportunities, etc, but even the most positive glass half full fan knew this was going to be an enormous challenge for this group. I'm happy we won a game and played a second to the wire. And the cherry on top was Powell hitting that shot to cover the spread.

Helluva scrap men. Kudo
s on great careers and all the best in your futures!

They certainly got the home town calls...Oh wait this is supposed to be a neutral site .. We literally didn't get one call go our way all night. One call our way
I remember that we did get one, but can't remember what it was at the moment. Will follow up if it comes back to me.

Kansas is full of 4 and 5 star recruits. Even when they aren't great, they are good. Great job by our guys in holding Graham in check. But, to his credit, he still carved up our team in the second half by driving and dishing to guys wide open on the perimiter. Great job Pirates. Echo the sentiments of others concerning our Seniors. Know the end is tough to take, but you guys did what you came here to do.....put SHU back on the map.

Nothing to hang our heads about. Kansas is Kansas for a reason. This isn't a vintage Kansas team by a long shot - they aren't deep, especially in the front court, their only big was hurt (which allowed Angel to dominate), and their best player had a terrible game. So it sucks that we got them on a off night and didn't pull it out. But I'm happy with the effort, there is a "moral victory" element to this for me given where we are as a program and where Kansas is (always), and there were times in the second half when they kept extending to 10 that I thought we would lose by 15+.

Thank you Angel for playing like the warrior you are and have been, and thank you Deanno putting on a show towards the end. No kid deserved that more than Deanno. We can nitpick and talk about turnovers, missed opportunities, etc, but even the most positive glass half full fan knew this was going to be an enormous challenge for this group. I'm happy we won a game and played a second to the wire. And the cherry on top was Powell hitting that shot to cover the spread.
Kansas in the past is not this team. This team goes 10-8 at best in the Big East this year. No inside game and they're purely a guard-driven team even with Azuibuke at full health.

(By the way--our "best" player--Desi if we are talking about points--had a horrible game also. So I would cancel those two out)

I hear you. But Kansas has a top-line coach, a winning pedigree, is used to playing in these types of games (and winning), and I think Graham is a top line player. Love Desi and his injury was no doubt a factor, but I think Graham is one of the best points in the country. So for him to have a bad game, especially with how we've struggled against some guards, was very surprising.

Kansas in the past is not this team. This team goes 10-8 at best in the Big East this year. No inside game and they're purely a guard-driven team even with Azuibuke at full health.

(By the way--our "best" player--Desi if we are talking about points--had a horrible game also. So I would cancel those two out)

I hear you. But Kansas has a top-line coach, a winning pedigree, is used to playing in these types of games (and winning), and I think Graham is a top line player. Love Desi and his injury was no doubt a factor, but I think Graham is one of the best points in the country. So for him to have a bad game, especially with how we've struggled against some guards, was very surprising.
But Malik Newman scoring 15 over his average kind of balanced out the scoring that Graham didn't throw up. Plus Graham had 9 assists, so I wouldn't exactly call it a bad game. Graham and Desi both average 17 a game and they both scored 6. Add in Graham's 9 assists and Desi having only 3 rebounds and I would certainly not agree with your statement at all.

And I absolutely HATE the pedigree statement. Does having the history and "pedigree" entitle this team to more leeway in terms of calls and benefits of the doubt (like every freakin' out of bounds play that could have gone either way)? This Kansas team wouldn't have won the Big East this season.

No pedigree doesn't entitle you to any of that. But having a coach who has won a million big games and at least some players who are used to playing in these types of games (and bigger ones) helps for sure.

But Malik Newman scoring 15 over his average kind of balanced out the scoring that Graham didn't throw up. Plus Graham had 9 assists, so I wouldn't exactly call it a bad game. Graham and Desi both average 17 a game and they both scored 6. Add in Graham's 9 assists and Desi having only 3 rebounds and I would certainly not agree with your statement at all.

And I absolutely HATE the pedigree statement. Does having the history and "pedigree" entitle this team to more leeway in terms of calls and benefits of the doubt (like every freakin' out of bounds play that could have gone either way)? This Kansas team wouldn't have won the Big East this season.

Dehere23--This was, undoubtedly, a game for the taking. Way too many unforced errors, missed free throws, blown defensive assignments on the perimeter and missed open shots. It is what it is. Kansas didn't have anything to do with nearly all of it. I don't care if it was DePaul or Kansas. This was a game they should have won if they had played decently.

No pedigree doesn't entitle you to any of that. But having a coach who has won a million big games and at least some players who are used to playing in these types of games (and bigger ones) helps for sure.
Awwww come on--Newman had the biggest game of the bunch and he's a redshirt sophomore who played at NCAA-less Mississippi State 2 years ago.

We are 4 seniors who've all been the tournament 2 prior years. I'm still not buying it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT