ADVERTISEMENT

Juiston

Well TT’s ship is mostly who we’re hypothetically talking about here with the open ship. So instead of 15 and 10 you want two players that played a combined 2 minutes in our tournament game and a freshman. Yeah man let’s agree to disagree.

I just got over the fact we weren’t getting a grad transfer before this tweet. 3rd place in the big east, big east semi’s and one win in the tournament will be fun but winning the big east, winning the BET, playing locally in the tournament and playing in elite 8 / final four is more fun to me.
Lol. You say that as if this one player makes it a guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed. Would you bet the house on it? Nobody has the crystal ball. You’re just as likely, if not more likely, to have 2001 issues as you are a final four run. Out of curiosity, who did you have as our best front court player 12 months ago?

I think anyone advising TT to transfer is nuts. Stick it out one more year, get your degree and if you’re still unhappy transfer without any consequences. Also it would be quite impressive on any resume to say you fought through this adversity.

Would juiston be our best front court player?
imo yes.

Minutes wise. Shakur 28 Mamu 28 Ike 22 Someone else 2-5 minutes at the 4 or 5.

Rhoden has minutes at the 3 up to 15ish if Cale plays 25ish at the 3 and remaining at the 2.
Wow, would add a polished offensive weapon and excellent defender. Rebounds well and can create his own shot off the dribble. We can only hope.

That elbow plus jumper has been butter for juiston since he was in HS. Such a smooth shot.

Reactions: Joe_T
Lol. You say that as if this one player makes it a guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed. Would you bet the house on it? Nobody has the crystal ball. You’re just as likely, if not more likely, to have 2001 issues as you are a final four run. Out of curiosity, who did you have as our best front court player 12 months ago?
Not a guarantee but if you think 2 minutes 0 pts 1 fouled 3 pt shooter gives you a better chance to win than 15 and 10 (known as a good team guy and leader and good friend to MP) then yeah let’s agree to disagree.

Not a guarantee but if you think 2 minutes 0 pts 1 fouled 3 pt shooter gives you a better chance to win than 15 and 10 (known as a good team guy and leader and good friend to MP) then yeah let’s agree to disagree.
Come on. You say it as if you one year carries over to the next. As if a team that lost to UMBC can’t come back and win the national championship the next year. Teams and individual players are different from year to year. Sometimes adversity and failure are important to success.

Reactions: LBP43 and Abbo71
I will say that I like the fact that Juiston is a good student. And based on the film, he has a really high motor and I can’t see why his skill set wouldn’t translate to playing a high level front court for us.

I would really want this kid should a scholarship open up.

if A scholarship opens up and it’s not Powell’s I’d take him in a heartbeat... adds great depth, from all counts good in the locker room, and would just flat out make SHU a better team

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Yeah and the comparison to the ‘00-‘01 recruiting class is a poor one. Those are freshman not familiar with the rigors or difficulty of division I and thought they could take over whereas Juiston is one player who is 22 or so.

All of this is most likely moot as we won’t have a ship avail.

Yeah and the comparison to the ‘00-‘01 recruiting class is a poor one. Those are freshman not familiar with the rigors or difficulty of division I and thought they could take over whereas Juiston is one player who is 22 or so.

All of this is most likely moot as we won’t have a ship avail.
That’s because it wasn’t a comparison. It was just a statement that more teams have chemistry issues each year than teams that go to the final 4.

We’re replacing Nzei’s minutes only. Basically those frontcourt minutes are almost gone with Ike. Now a new player getting 25-28 minutes is taking away minutes from guys last year. You also haven’t included a freshman with great athleticism and upside getting a chance. That’s not really a great recipe for chemistry in my opinion.

Last edited:
And why we took Molson when there was even the slightest hope of getting Juiston...........that is so bizarro world Willard it is unreal. Willard usually waits until everyone is off the board to get the top player. And this time it may backfire. Let's hope someone wants more playing time elsewhere.....

Reactions: shu99 and JGCPA
That’s because it wasn’t a comparison. It was just a statement that more teams have chemistry issues each year than teams that go to the final 4.

We’re replacing Nzei’s minutes only. Basically those frontcourt minutes are almost gone with Ike. Now a new player getting 25-28 minutes is taking away minutes from guys last year. You also haven’t included a freshman with great athleticism and upside getting a chance. That’s not really a great recipe for chemistry in my opinion.
Except that we've all (correctly) stated that reliance on freshman for guaranteed minutes has been a mistake in the past. If Samuel earns it, so be it. I'd rather have Juiston be able to a). give Samuels and Mamu competition b). have a more reliable scoring option outside of Powell c). bestow upon Samuels his experience and some moves that he can teach him and d). provide an extremely talented "insurance" policy should anyone get injured. We've been quite lucky with injuries over the last couple of years sans Desi at the end of '18.

Again, this is all moot at the current moment with the scholarship situation. But I think it would be foolish to turn away someone like Juiston if presented with the opportunity. To me, it's nearly a chance for a do-over from relying on a freshman and a walk-on as our first (and only) players off the bench like last year.

If Mamu, Ike or Samuels either have an injury or struggle, do we play Ro for 30 minutes? Brodie for 20 minutes?

If Mamu, Ike or Samuels either have an injury or struggle, do we play Ro for 30 minutes? Brodie for 20 minutes?

I think we’re much more prepared to handle an injury to any of the guys you mentioned than if we God forbid had to go 5 games without Powell. But it appears I’m in the minority that people think a PF completes our roster and puts us over the top more than a SG.

We have 8 guys that play 3, 4, or 5. We have 4 guys that play in the back court, I would think the insurance policy is needed much greater in the back court. What’s the plan if any of our back court players go down? Front court is easy Rhoden has played a good amount of 4 if needed. Mamu played the 5 most of last year.

Last edited:
If a ship opens from Reynolds, TT, or Brodie leaving and we get Juiston...grab them sweet 16 tickets?

I think he should be fine after a meniscus injury from December. 10 months of recovery, he should be close 100%.
And why we took Molson when there was even the slightest hope of getting Juiston...........that is so bizarro world Willard it is unreal. Willard usually waits until everyone is off the board to get the top player. And this time it may backfire. Let's hope someone wants more playing time elsewhere.....

i don’t think locking up early one of the top sit transfers to help replace the departure of your entire starting backcourt is a questionable move, it’s actually a very good move for continuity as a top end Big East school. We will need experience at guard with some proven players to help in transition.

For this year, yeah I agree, Juiston could take us from a very solid team to maybe an elite 8 type team. But you don’t jeopardize Molson for someone like Juiston that seems to like the west coast and they probably have no idea if they could get.

Possibly Willard expected one of Gill, Brodie, TT to open up and none did and he doesn’t want to encourage anyone to leave.

I think the only maybe dicey Willard moves were to give Reynolds a 3 year scholly last season, giving Brodie a 4 year scholly, or not encouraging one of his bottom of bench players to transfer. But at the end of the day, he has a solid team this year without Juiston (as shown with a lot of top 20 projections in polls).

I only agree that with Juiston and Powell, a deeper run would be expected.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/05...on-hall-running-grad-transfer-shakur-juiston/

Even though he’s coming off a serious injury, Shakur Juiston is one of the top NCAA Basketball transfers this offseason. Who are the teams he’s considering?
Shakur Juiston was one of the top Junior College transfers in the class of 2017, picking UNLV over a host of power conference schools. Despite being undersized as a post player at 6’7, he more than made up for it by being a physical force and being a magnet for rebounds.

In his first year as a D-1 player, Juiston averaged 14.6 ppg and 10.0 rpg on 64% from the field, good for 1st in the Mountain West. He had 14 double-doubles and several monster performances, including going for 30 points and 12 rebounds against Northern Colorado and 19 and 12 in the upset road win over Nevada......

The “hometown” program of sorts for the Newark, New Jersey native, the Pirateswould give Juiston the chance to come back home for a talented team. He would be the ideal replacement of graduating senior Michael Nzei in the frontcourt and join 6’10 forward Sandro Mamukelashvili and Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.

Quite frankly, Juiston making this decision past the deadline for NCAA Basketball players to withdraw from the NBA Draft could be a hint. Star junior Myles Powell has to decide soon and his own decision will determine how good the Pirates will be. If he and his 23 ppg come back, Seton Hall would be a top-tier Big East team in 2019-20 and Juiston’s presence could vault them into a second-weekend team.

Under the assumption that there are no surprise additions/departures, Seton Hall is the likely bet to add Juiston. Not only can he go back east to a team that is in need of his services but the Pirates might even be better than Oregon overall. The grad transfer has one last shot to make the NCAA Tournament and the safest bet of all might just be back at home.

Prediction: Juiston picks Seton Hall

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/05...on-hall-running-grad-transfer-shakur-juiston/

Even though he’s coming off a serious injury, Shakur Juiston is one of the top NCAA Basketball transfers this offseason. Who are the teams he’s considering?
Shakur Juiston was one of the top Junior College transfers in the class of 2017, picking UNLV over a host of power conference schools. Despite being undersized as a post player at 6’7, he more than made up for it by being a physical force and being a magnet for rebounds.

In his first year as a D-1 player, Juiston averaged 14.6 ppg and 10.0 rpg on 64% from the field, good for 1st in the Mountain West. He had 14 double-doubles and several monster performances, including going for 30 points and 12 rebounds against Northern Colorado and 19 and 12 in the upset road win over Nevada......

The “hometown” program of sorts for the Newark, New Jersey native, the Pirateswould give Juiston the chance to come back home for a talented team. He would be the ideal replacement of graduating senior Michael Nzei in the frontcourt and join 6’10 forward Sandro Mamukelashvili and Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.

Quite frankly, Juiston making this decision past the deadline for NCAA Basketball players to withdraw from the NBA Draft could be a hint. Star junior Myles Powell has to decide soon and his own decision will determine how good the Pirates will be. If he and his 23 ppg come back, Seton Hall would be a top-tier Big East team in 2019-20 and Juiston’s presence could vault them into a second-weekend team.

Under the assumption that there are no surprise additions/departures, Seton Hall is the likely bet to add Juiston. Not only can he go back east to a team that is in need of his services but the Pirates might even be better than Oregon overall. The grad transfer has one last shot to make the NCAA Tournament and the safest bet of all might just be back at home.

Prediction: Juiston picks Seton Hall
He wants SHU but will there be a scholarship available for him?

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Got to keep a ship open for that high caliber player who becomes available as a transfer or that HS senior who made his college choice but the head coach of that school leaves and he reopens his recruiting. With 13 ships that’s certainly should be doable.

Ouch. This is going to hurt if we don't get him because we don't have an available ship.

Ranked #4 on Goodman's grad transfer list.
Here are the schools that have the top 15 grad transfer players (that have committed so far).
Memphis, Kentucky, Zags, UNC, Missouri St., TTech, UNC, BYU, Lville, Bama, Xavier, Marq, Purdue... a pretty darn good list.

Reactions: shupat08 and JGCPA
Although, you do see many grad xfer's come in to be the pivotal 6th man many times on teams.

And that’s the problem we are overloaded at the power positions. You’re not sitting Sandro, he brings too much to the table. Just check out Dan’s analysis on the Trove.
Sandro does not have anything solidified imo, can play 4 or some 5, see him as a perfectly fine bench player

Also seems like juiston doesnt need a 40 min roll to play with us

Now God forbid Myles doesn't come back ( PLEASE COME BACK) would you do a QM, Cale, Sandro, Juiston and Ike starting 5?

And that’s the problem we are overloaded at the power positions. You’re not sitting Sandro, he brings too much to the table. Just check out Dan’s analysis on the Trove.
Programs that are annually in the top 15 call this depth. We call it a problem.

Florida St.'s best player, who was there leading scorer, leader in block shots, 37% 3pt shooter, etc. didn't start one game last year.

If you can ball you will get minutes, period. Shakur, sandro, and Ike would all get plenty of minutes.

Last edited:
now that Izzo is coming to town, I pray our man Powell comes back and allows our home crowd to witness knocking off the # 1 team at home

Reactions: mbraue
I
Programs that are annually in the top 15 call this depth. We call it a problem.

Florida St.'s best player, who was there leading scorer, leader in block shots, 37% 3pt shooter, etc. didn't start one game last year.

If you can ball you will get minutes, period. Shakur, sandro, and Ike would all get plenty of minutes.
It's not a problem, trying to be a bit humorous. Failed again. I was reacting to the idea that Sandro wouldn't start if Juiston came here. Having them both would be great but Ssndtro would start. He is top 5-10 in so many statistical categories in the BE. The rotation with Sandro, Juiston, Ike and Gill would be awesome. Now all we need is MP to say he's coming back.

Reactions: HallBall10
Man I am dreaming of Juiston and Powell playing with Ike, Cale, and Sandro! Powell running the point....lol

Scale of 0 to 10 (0 being least likely, 10 being most likely), what are the realistic chances that a scholarship other than Powell's opens up?

Man I am dreaming of Juiston and Powell playing with Ike, Cale, and Sandro! Powell running the point....lol
MP and Shakur on this team would be awesome.

Juiston, Ike, and Sandro is a top 5 frontcourt from a defensive and rebounding standpoint.

MP is a top 3 sg.

QM, juiston, and Ike are studs on the defensive side of the court.

If Cale or Sandro or Rhoden take a big jump offensively, scary good. We could legit win the national championship. I said it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT