ADVERTISEMENT

Juiston

Guys, Reynolds isn't going anywhere nor should he. He was offered and accepted a scholarship from Seton Hall.

He a great kid in good standing on and off the court. You don't punish members of your roster because maybe something better 'might' be available.

We don’t ever want our program to join those programs who take a scholarship away because they find a better player to use that ship as Dan so correctly says. We’re better then that and when a player commits to us we should stand by our commitment to that player that his scholarship is for four years not year by year.

We don’t ever want our program to join those programs who take a scholarship away because they find a better player to use that ship as Dan so correctly says. We’re better then that and when a player commits to us we should stand by our commitment to that player that his scholarship is for four years not year by year.
or 3 years if our recruiting needs to explore the freshman walk-on market.

Ridiculous to even consider, IMO. Shavar embodies what Willard wants in his program, plus he’s a good defender and moves the ball around. Without him we have just 3 real guards.
Not True. Cale is a 2 guard by natural position and was in HS. Only a 3 here because MP rightfully eats up most minutes there. When MP graduates, he'll slide into the 2.

Not True. Cale is a 2 guard by natural position and was in HS. Only a 3 here because MP rightfully eats up most minutes there. When MP graduates, he'll slide into the 2.
Cale has to work on his handle big time if he wants to play the 2 regardless of what his natural position is. Just for shits and giggles, should Reynolds leave and Cale is our starting 3 who challenges MP every day in practice? If Reynolds doesn’t play a minute in a game this year, his scholarship is worth it bringing his effort and toughness daily to make MP the best he can be. I can’t believe people would even consider taking away his scholarship. Absurd.

Cale was never a 2 in HS, he was/is a 3 that would need a bit of work to be a 2.

Thank God.
Yes, thank God the coaching staff is not as stupid as some of the people here who claim to be fans! Coach Willard knows the rules and knows what he did. Can we please, PLEASE, stop nominating a guy on our team, who gives his all and represents Seton Hall well both on the court, in the classroom as well as in the community well, to be unceremoniously be kicked to the curb because we think the grass is greener with someone else!? God, these types of posts are getting embarrassing! Just stop it!

To paraphrase from Hoosiers: I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

These 14 individuals (we have 13 guys on scholarship and 1 walk-on) have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line every night in the next season to represent you, Seton Hall University.

That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect.

This is your team.

Last edited:
You are spot on. Cale is a 2 who is big enough to play 3 while we have Powell at the 2. His handle is just fine. He did not have a lot of TO’s last year based on his dribbling. When he turned it over it was more often caused by a too cute pass or that weird tendency to step out of bounds. If his 3 ball gets a tad more consistent, he is a killer 2 guard.

Yes, thank God the coaching staff is not as stupid as some of the people here who claim to be fans! Coach Willard knows the rules and knows what he did. Can we please, PLEASE, stop nominating a guy on our team, who gives his all and represents Seton Hall well both on the court, in the classroom as well as in the community well, to be unceremoniously be kicked to the curb because we think the grass is greener with someone else!? God, these types of posts are getting embarrassing! Just stop it!

To paraphrase from Hoosiers: I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

These 14 individuals (we have 13 guys on scholarship and 1 walk-on) have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line every night in the next season to represent you, Seton Hall University.

This is your team.
Sir, that was the best post I read this off-season besides Myles Powell is returning.

This is your team.

Team, I don't always see eye to eye with you but on this you are on target 100%.

In another thread recently I said I thought as a group we have a tendency to treat our players as commodities to be traded and discarded at will rather than as people.

We're not talking about professionals making six or seven figure salaries. We're talking about young men and women who don't even see most of their compensation since it really only pays off if they're willing to work at it in the classroom.

I think it's bad form to openly suggest players be pushed aside to make room for others. Nevermind the optics of giving a walk-on a scholarship and then taking it away from him, it's simply not right. I'm also not naive enough to believe other players haven't been encouraged to explore other options because that would be in their best interest.

Last edited:
Technically Ebenezer Scrooge doesn’t have to like Christmas or be kind to poor people. Willard probably gave him a 3 year scholly, nothing technical about it.

Technically Ebenezer is a fictional character and no technically he can’t give him a 3 year scholly because it is renewable year to year. But if you want to think that go right ahead.....LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: artfuldodgers
As I said I love the kids and that his father is serving our country but he's not a D1 scholarship player.

Your own words..probably. we don't know what the agreement was. They had an unused scholarship and awarded it to him last year for his hard work. That doesn't guaranty him a full ride his remaining term. He was a walk on Now if you had a kid commit or transfer I'd agree that it would be implied that it was for the full stay and pulling it would be a low class move but as a walk on we just don't know what the conversation was.

Leat him dream! Lol

Last edited:
Ridiculous to even consider, IMO. Shavar embodies what Willard wants in his program, plus he’s a good defender and moves the ball around. Without him we have just 3 real guards.

Shavar is a great representative and will not be pushed out and with the limited guards he is not expendable. But things tend to work out and we will see what happens if Juiston decides to commit.

Let’s think about this for a minute. The transfer portal has close to 1,000 kids looking for greener pastures (~20% of all players) yet none of them are from Seton Hall. We have 14 guys who all committed to be here and don’t want to leave, they want to play for the Pirates! That says a lot about our coach, our program and our university!

Team, I don't always see eye to eye with you but on this you are on target 100%.

In another thread recently I said I thought as a group we have a tendency to treat our players as commodities to be traded and discarded at will rather than as people.

We're not talking about professionals making six or seven figure salaries. We're talking about young men and women who don't even see most of their compensation since it really only pays off if they're willing to work at it in the classroom.

I think it's bad form to openly suggestion players be pushed aside to make room for others. Nevermind the optics of giving a walk-on a scholarship and then taking it away from him, it's simply not right. I'm also not naive enough to believe other players haven't been encouraged to explore other options because that would be in their best interest.
If they committed to 3 years then honor it. When it was initially announced, it was that he earned a scholarship for '18-'19 season. As I recall several were up in arms about giving the ship out to a walk on. I was not suggesting they should go back on their word.

Just not sure why we're entering a transfer if we don't and won't have a ship to offer.

Let’s think about this for a minute. The transfer portal has close to 1,000 kids looking for greener pastures (~20% of all players) yet none of them are from Seton Hall. We have 14 guys who all committed to be here and don’t want to leave, they want to play for the Pirates! That says a lot about our coach, our program and our university!

Excellent point.

Our guys are 100% #HALLin

I don’t want anyone to leave right now as why upset the apple cart for a team without a glaring weakness that can be fixed with the right piece. Juiston would be a nice fit but I think our front court will be more than fine with Ike, Sandro, etc.

But the kumbaya stuff on this thread is starting to go off the rails and begging for a reality check when we start waxing poetic about the higher plane of morality that we operate on as a program. Come on with that.

Can we just let the chips fall where they lie now that Myles is back and have the best year in two+ decades?

Our guys are 100% #HALLin

Reactions: deheremike
I don’t want anyone to leave right now as why upset the apple cart for a team without a glaring weakness that can be fixed with the right piece. Juiston would be a nice fit but I think our front court will be more than fine with Ike, Sandro, etc.

But the kumbaya stuff on this thread is starting to go off the rails and begging for a reality check when we start waxing poetic about the higher plane of morality that we operate on as a program. Come on with that.

Can we just let the chips fall where they lie now that Myles is back and have the best year in two+ decades?
Don’t you think that part of why there is all this hype is because we have a team full of guys happy to be here who understand their roles, no matter how big or small they may be? How many other teams can say they have no one in the transfer portal, that only lost one guy to graduation with everyone else returning, especially after one tested the waters and someone tried to hire away their coach? This is all a big part of why this could be a very special team and a very special season.

I think one of Willard’s strengths post-2014 is keeping guys happy and re-recruiting players if needed. And he’s done a good job lately at targeting kids who won’t have their foot out the door at the first sign of adversity.

Continuity is good and the mark of a solid program but the reason the season might be pretty darn good is because Cheese decided to come back.

Don’t you think that part of why there is all this hype is because we have a team full of guys happy to be here who understand their roles, no matter how big or small they may be? How many other teams can say they have no one in the transfer portal, that only lost one guy to graduation with everyone else returning, especially after one tested the waters and someone tried to hire away their coach? This is all a big part of why this could be a very special team and a very special season.

Our glaring weakness is the lack of a shooter. Juiston is not that. Some of you need to give it a rest. Juiston is not coming here.

I think with progression by Cale, Rhoden and Q the shooting will be fine when you factor in Myles.
Cale and Rhoden especially came on as of late in the season shooting the rock, experience + confidence = winning

Our glaring weakness is the lack of a shooter. Juiston is not that. Some of you need to give it a rest. Juiston is not coming here.
When that appears to be the case fine. When we’re listed as 1 of 3 schools involved and some on the board with connections think although it is still a stretch it has become a real possibility then I’m still intrigued.

Again we also lost nzei our best frontcourt scorer and highest fg% scorer and juiston would help replace that. Shooting is #1 need but low post scoring and rebounding will also be an area for improvement.

I’m excited about this team I am. The idea of adding the #3 grad transfer on top of that had me thinking ncaa championship but if it doesn’t work out it’ll still be a really fun year but our success in March will be capped.

When you are being told he wants to come but we don’t have a ship. And you have TT that continually got himself suspended/unavailable for games/in the doghouse and when he did play he often didn’t follow the offense or know who to guard then it’s extremely frustrating. “Sorry bro you didn’t uphold your end of the scholarship bargain, juiston your up, let’s go win banners!”

Last edited:
When that appears to be the case fine. When we’re listed as 1 of 3 schools involved and some on the board with connections think although it is still a stretch it has become a real possibility then I’m still intrigued.

Again we also lost nzei our best frontcourt scorer and highest fg% scorer and juiston would help replace that. Shooting is #1 need but low post scoring and rebounding will also be an area for improvement.

I’m excited about this team I am. The idea of adding the #3 grad transfer on top of that had me thinking ncaa championship but if it doesn’t work out it’ll still be a really fun year but our success in March will be capped.

When you are being told he wants to come but we don’t have a ship. And you have TT that continually got himself suspended/unavailable for games/in the doghouse then it’s extremely frustrating. “Sorry bro you didn’t uphold your end of the scholarship bargain, juiston your up, let’s go win banners!”
Stop with the BS our success in March is capped without Juiston. March is all about matchups. We could be in the sweet 16 or elite 8 against LaSalle for all we know.

Heck if our success in March is capped, based on the competition we should have limited success in November and December

Stop with the BS our success in March is capped without Juiston. March is all about matchups. We could be in the sweet 16 or elite 8 against LaSalle for all we know.
Yes and juiston allows us to weather the matchup storm. We have the 7-2 bigs covered in Ro and Ike but what about the small ball bigs such as wofford where ro played 2 minutes. Having that option wins you a couple more games throughout the season, better seed and more weapons in tournament to beat any type of team.

When midnight strikes (juiston commits elsewhere) i’m totally on board with you.

Oregon by Friday. Then you'll complain about Willard and how he didn't take a scholarship away from some innocent kid who committed to him and who he probably promised the family he'd take care of. Do you really think they didn't know what they were in for when they took TT??? We were mentioned with Juiston because he was probably ours if Powell left. Time to focus on the 2020 class.

Yes and juiston allows us to weather the matchup storm. We have the 7-2 bigs covered in Ro and Ike but what about the small ball bigs such as wofford where ro played 2 minutes. Having that option wins you a couple more games throughout the season, better seed and more weapons in tournament to beat any type of team.
Ike is a lot more athletic and will do a better job with smaller bigs. You also have Mamu at center. Maybe TT at PF, if not Rhoden, Samuel, at PF. Also Brodie will be better.

Can we really act so self righteous. we were never a program that would hire a hs coach to get his kid, or an asst to get another. Till we did it, and hallelujah for that. Neither situation is illegal or uncommon. I trust Willard on this one.

Reactions: deheremike
There is nothing remotely unethical in hiring a coach to get a player. Assistant coaches’ principal duty is recruiting. If you don’t like the optics I can understand it but it is wholly legal and has been done for decades. It is nothing like what Miller, Wilson and other coaches routinely do.

This talk of this is our one chance, dont buy it. We had a chance all of the last four years. We blew the ark game, the zags game matchup and location could be called a screwjob. If we played a better first half, do we beat Kansas? We had chances all of those yrs and didnt cut it. I agree, we have a great chance this yr, and when we do it this time, I say it will be cause we played well, not cause we were finally good enough.

Reactions: Abbo71 and Halldan1
There is nothing remotely unethical in hiring a coach to get a player. Assistant coaches’ principal duty is recruiting. If you don’t like the optics I can understand it but it is wholly legal and has been done for decades. It is nothing like what Miller, Wilson and other coaches routinely do.
I have no problem with it. But, while not unprecedented, hiring a hs coach expressly to get a player is not common, and it is an act people all over think is shady, specially given tinys rep. I was thrilled we did it.

I have no problem with it. But, while not unprecedented, hiring a hs coach expressly to get a player is not common, and it is an act people all over think is shady, specially given tinys rep. I was thrilled we did it.
I think there’s a big difference between hiring a coach to get a recruit and taking a scholarship away from a player who wants to be here, isn’t a constant problem, and has his academics in line to get his degree from a Seton Hall. One is a little shady within the rules, the other is just flat out wrong.

Is there a difference in your mind between hiring a coach to get a player who is a good guy versus hiring a coach (or coaches) who are scum with all kinds of shady (or illegal) nonsense in their past or present, knowing you’ll turn a blind eye to some of that.

This is why I don’t go to the moral high ground when we start talking about the program.

Shouldn’t matter in Juiston’s case but the focus should be on whether he makes sense for the roster not what steps to our coach would take to “actively” manage the roster

I think there’s a big difference between hiring a coach to get a recruit and taking a scholarship away from a player who wants to be here, isn’t a constant problem, and has his academics in line to get his degree from a Seton Hall. One is a little shady within the rules, the other is just flat out wrong.

Is there a difference in your mind between hiring a coach to get a player who is a good guy versus hiring a coach (or coaches) who are scum with all kinds of shady (or illegal) nonsense in their past or present, knowing you’ll turn a blind eye to some of that.

This is why I don’t go to the moral high ground when we start talking about the program.

Shouldn’t matter in Juiston’s case but the focus should be on whether he makes sense for the roster not what steps to our coach would take to “actively” manage the roster

In order to be consistently successful in college basketball today every coach has to actively manage his roster because of the impact that transfers have on every team’s roster and kids leaving to go pro, a situation that has grown along with the proliferation of off shore professional leagues giving players more options then just the NBA . The kid who stays in one school for four years is no longer a given like it once was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT