ADVERTISEMENT

Juiston

Again getting juiston has nothing to do with Mamu. If mamu was the best player in the country I’d still want juiston.

It has a lot more to do with Ike is more of a 20 minute player than a 30 minute player. Juiston is way better than our 3rd best and 4th best frontcourt options therefore an upgrade. Mamu and shakur can both play the 4 and 5 and both will get a ton of minutes.

Disagree. We’ve always looked down on other programs who told kids to look for other opportunities to make room for players. We made a commitment to every player who is currently on our roster. If one of them wants to leave that is their choice. Until that happens we should honor our commitment to these young men, every single one of them. Seton Hall is better than the get better or transfer mentality. They are young men. They should be treated as such.
Let me explain. As a player if you have a problem with your minutes “get better or transfer”. I don’t think minutes should be handed out bc you practice hard, have a good personality, or get straight A’s, it’s college if you want more minutes get better or transfer.

Should the ship obligation cease bc TT wasn’t there for this team? he wasn’t available for this reason or that reason or in the dog house for this reason or that reason. Health barring we need player that are actually there for the team during games.

Reactions: halltheway
I'm with you in theory, but major college hoops is a result-oriented business and I don't think we are above "gently" pushing a kid out to make room for a better player. There are ways to do it without shoving a kid out the door -- call it "setting expectations", which is basically telling a kid that you don't see a role for him in the near term (or possibly at all) without substantial improvement, which sends a signal that kid may be better elsewhere. It's probably the right thing to do for many kids, and it has the same functional effect as showing one the door.

I know you want to think we are better than that and that we wouldn't compromise certain core principles to be successful. But I'll give you two very recent examples where we did in fact compromise principles. Willard's job is to win games and represent the school well by churning out solid citizens who don't embarass the program on a Gonzo-level.
You can do that, but the player can still decide to stay. We’re talking one of three players. Shavar would be the dumbest to have this conversation with. We only have 4 guards on the team. Should an injury occur to a guard, Shavar could see 15 minutes, which is why I have been saying we need a guard more than a PF but that’s another conversation. TT would be crazy to settle for a D II school. He’s still better off getting his degree from SHU than a school like Bloomfield College then transferring if he’s still not going to see minutes. Who on earth would advise their son to take classes at SHU and Syracuse then get a degree from Bloomfield College? And Brodie might be up for the challenge of fighting for minutes another year here. What do you do if that is the case? Just because you have the conversation of limited minutes doesn’t mean every kid is going to say ok I’m leaving. Some of them will take it as a challenge.

Let me explain. As a player if you have a problem with your minutes “get better or transfer”. I don’t think minutes should be handed out bc you practice hard, have a good personality, or get straight A’s, it’s college if you want more minutes get better or transfer.

Should the ship obligation cease bc TT wasn’t there for this team? he wasn’t available for this reason or that reason or in the dog house for this reason or that reason. Health barring we need player that are actually there for the team during games.
Minutes shouldn’t be handed out but when you’ve got 7 guys who earned minutes returning plus Ike and Samuel joining the team, now throw in Juiston, you have 10 guys who’ve earned minutes. Now you’ve got guys who’ve put in the work, earned minutes, and won’t be getting them. That’s going to cause internal problems or recruiting issues when when teams negative recruit SHU. You don’t want to be known as the program that sits or tells good players to transfer. You think that might hurt recruiting? I sure as hell do.

And guess what, we have to play in 2020-2021. For shits and giggles let’s say Rhoden and Nelson don’t get minutes. You lose 4 seniors and risk losing 2 sophomores. You lose half your team next year. That’s just dumb. There’s got to be more of program big picture than just next year.

Minutes shouldn’t be handed out but when you’ve got 7 guys who earned minutes returning plus Ike and Samuel joining the team, now throw in Juiston, you have 10 guys who’ve earned minutes. Now you’ve got guys who’ve put in the work, earned minutes, and won’t be getting them. That’s going to cause internal problems or recruiting issues when when teams negative recruit SHU. You don’t want to be known as the program that sits or tells good players to transfer. You think that might hurt recruiting? I sure as hell do.

And guess what, we have to play in 2020-2021. For shits and giggles let’s say Rhoden and Nelson don’t get minutes. You lose 4 seniors and risk losing 2 sophomores. You lose half your team next year. That’s just dumb. There’s got to be more of program big picture than just next year.
I’m sorry but no one has “earned minutes”. Coach will decide who plays minutes when it’s time for each individual game.

10 players earned minutes?.. down the stretch MP was a one man wrecking crew but somehow you think there were 9 other guys that did sooo much that they earned minutes for this year.

You think so small.

Reynolds was awful last year, great for a walk-on but awful as a big east guard. You can try to convince me that 26% fg% and 15% from 3 is good but I’m not buying it. Ro is a matchup play just like last year (2 minutes in tournament game).

We have nelson, molson, Cale, Rhoden, Reynolds Samuel, Sandro, Ike, and Brodie (and I guess TT). Most of them upperclassmen. With us in good position for 2020 players and other options open too there is plenty of time to make up the loss of one or two of those players and still be in good shape. MP is on the roster now.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but no one has “earned minutes”. Coach will decide who plays minutes when it’s time for each individual game.

10 players earned minutes?.. down the stretch MP was a one man wrecking crew but somehow you think there were 9 other guys that did sooo much that they earned minutes for this year.

You think so small.

Reynolds was awful last year, great for a walk-on but awful as a big east guard. You can try to convince me that 15% from 3 is good but I’m not buying it. Ro is a matchup play just like last year (2 minutes in tournament game).

We have nelson, molson, Cale, Rhoden, Reynolds Samuel, Sandro, Ike, and Brodie (and I guess TT). Most of them upperclassmen. With us in good position for 2020 players and other options open too there is plenty of time to make up the loss of one or two of those players and still be in good shape. MP is on the roster now.
Talk about thinking small. You talk like this is our one shot. The program is in good hands.

Myles was far from a one man wrecking crew. Different guys stepped up every game. Myles was the one consistent but other guys were big in every game. Q one game, Mamu one game, Cale another game, even Nelson stepped up in the big east final. We need the others to be more consistent but it wasn’t Powell out there alone. Not to mention the defensive side of the ball.

This is our chance. Juiston makes us an absolutely loaded team that no one wants to play. Myles only has one year left . This is it. This is our 89. #PressandPowell allows everyone to play. #FortyMinutesofHall
We’re a good program not a good team. The NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot. A team with RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion Williamson almost lost in the round of 32. How one more player makes us an elite 8 team is absurd logic. Anything can happen in one game. I expect to have teams capable of making runs in the tournament for the next decade with this coach on our sidelines. I think our current roster can take on anybody.

The more players you have the better chance you have of surviving a bad game from any one or two players. Juiston makes this team exponentially better. Another huge weapon. I think you guys are underestimating Myles Powell. He is a generational player. Another Myles isnt walking through that door for awhile. We HAVE to make use of this chance.

We’re a good program not a good team. The NCAA tournament is such a crapshoot. A team with RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion Williamson almost lost in the round of 32. How one more player makes us an elite 8 team is absurd logic. Anything can happen in one game. I expect to have teams capable of making runs in the tournament for the next decade with this coach on our sidelines. I think our current roster can take on anybody.

The more players you have the better chance you have of surviving a bad game from any one or two players. Juiston makes this team exponentially better. Another huge weapon. I think you guys are underestimating Myles Powell. He is a generational player. Another Myles isnt walking through that door for awhile. We HAVE to make use of this chance.
Agree on Myles. But plenty of teams have won or been to the final four without a talent like Myles. The program can still grow after he graduates. Mark Bryant was a generational player. He left and we did better.

Reactions: LBP43
There is one simple truth that applies to all sports and that is the more talent you have and if it’s properly coached the more chance you have to succeed . Adding more talent to any roster is a plus and that includes the 2019/2020 Pirate team.

Last edited:
Exactly.

We could improve our 3pt shooting (last in conference), a more consistent 2nd option (2nd leading scorer was 32nd in conference), low post scoring (8th in conference fg%), rebounding (6th in conference), and depth. Juiston would improve all of those areas except 3pt shooting (although on our team at the 4/5 spot he'd actually be an improvement there too).

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Yea, I mean this conversation also took place two years ago. Fans were clamoring for a push because it was the last shot with the seniors and who knew when we'd be back to that point. Things seems to have worked out pretty well since 2018.

Without discussing whose spot he would take on roster or where his minutes would come from, not sure how anyone could feel adding Juiston would not make the team better.
The team would be more talented that’s for sure. Adding Eddie Griffin didn’t make our team better. That you have to wait and see. But one can argue that an outside shooter is a greater need than PF.

The team would be more talented that’s for sure. Adding Eddie Griffin didn’t make our team better. That you have to wait and see. But one can argue that an outside shooter is a greater need than PF.
While Griffins year turned out poor, not sure team would have been better or not if he did not come. We lost our two best players/heart from sweet 16 team, and started 3 freshman.

This is our chance. Juiston makes us an absolutely loaded team that no one wants to play. Myles only has one year left . This is it. This is our 89. #PressandPowell allows everyone to play. #FortyMinutesofHall

Before we get too excited is there any real possibility of this happening?

While Griffins year turned out poor, not sure team would have been better or not if he did not come. We lost our two best players/heart from sweet 16 team, and started 3 freshman.
This is all projection....We were projected to be awesome with Griffin, top 10 in most polls. Many were projecting TT to be our best big man by a wide margin this time last year. Many were projecting that we were doomed with Willard in charge. Some are projecting elite 8 with Juiston. He could come in and help. He could come in and not grasp what Willard expects out of him. Nobody knows for sure. Unfortunately people talk like they know and a differing opinion is unacceptable. I know I sure as hell would prefer one more guard more than anything. God forbid an injury to Nelson, McKnight, or Powell. Our backcourt is really short handed if that happens. We can survive and injury to a front court player with having 7 or 8 of them.

Last edited:
Juiston can still get a lot of time if we need to play small bc our centers become liabilities on O and D. In that case Mamu will have to play center and then Juiston can slide in at starting 4 or at least a lot of minutes there.

The Ike/Gill FT shooting numbers predict this smaller end game lineup. Fouling either of those guys is a statistical win.
~30% x 2 FTs = 0.6 points, which is less than the average points per possession of ~1 point

The cool thing about our schedule is since we play a lot of the top teams, we can play big a lot in non conf games bc they have height to match.

Not sure if I just haven't adjusted to the smaller game, but that prospect excites me too. All those years of knowing SHU couldn't possibly win against the skyscraper teams like UCLA, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky, size is not an issue now.

This is all projection....We were projected to be awesome with Griffin, top 10 in most polls. Many were projecting TT to be our best big man by a wide margin this time last year. Many were projecting that we were doomed with Willard in charge. Some are projecting elite 8 with Juiston. He could come in and help. He could come in and not grasp what Willard expects out of him. Nobody knows for sure. Unfortunately people talk like they know and a differing opinion is unacceptable. I know I sure as hell would prefer one more guard more than anything. God forbid an injury to Nelson, McKnight, or Powell. Our backcourt is really short handed if that happens. We can survive and injury to a front court player with having 7 or 8 of them.

Do you not think Juiston is good enough to warrant your concerns (chemistry/minutes/possible transfers) or would you not want to take any forward regardless of talent?
If Angel could play for us next year would you want him?
What about I don't know Embiid/Jokic/Anthony Davis,etc.?..bc for all those players you could use the same logic he's a front court player taking away minutes from Brodie, Gill, Samuel, etc and I guess technically no one on this board could 100% guarantee you it would lead to better results.

As far as guards, per people on this board Willard has reached out to a ton of guards and it lead to nothing. Juiston is in the running bc of all the connections and he just happens to be a forward that previously averaged a double-double, 7th in nation in fg%, former juco player of the year, etc.

Last edited:
Do you not think Juiston is good enough to warrant your concerns (chemistry/minutes/possible transfers) or would you not want to take any forward regardless of talent?
If Angel could play for us next year would you want him?
What about I don't know Embiid/Jokic/Anthony Davis,etc.?..bc for all those players you could use the same logic he's a front court player taking away minutes from Brodie, Gill, Samuel, etc and I guess technically no one on this board could 100% guarantee you it would lead to better results.

As far as guards, per people on this board Willard has reached out to a ton of guards and it lead to nothing. (Juiston is in the running bc of all the connections and he just happens to be a forward that previously averaged a double-double, 7th in nation in fg%, former juco player of the year, etc.)

Hey maybe if all of those guys wan to come to SHU we could kick out our entire current roster. That's going to do wonders for recruiting in the future. Right now we have a roster. We're not kicking players out of our program at the end of May giving them less options. If one comes available, unless that player is going to be the best player on Seton Hall, I would prefer a back court player. So if Anthony Davis wants to join SHU I'd make an exception. This board will go crazy about how the roster is constructed if Nelson, Powell, or Q go down with an injury and how thin our back court is. Right now are backcourt is literally 3 guys playing 75 minutes of the 80 minutes. Press and Powell is going to wear guys out going into March. I'd take a 4th guard who allows Powell to play 28 minutes per game as opposed to 35-38. A fresh Powell going into March is more important than anything. Let's also not forget how often Q had 2 fouls on him before the under 16 minute TV timeout. Q is aggressive on the defensive end, that extra guard allows him to stay aggressive.

Team was going great until the road game meltdown (blowing big lead & losing in OT). After that, team unity went south. Player confrontations etc. If only they hadn't blown that lead, would could have been.

Hey maybe if all of those guys wan to come to SHU we could kick out our entire current roster. That's going to do wonders for recruiting in the future. Right now we have a roster. We're not kicking players out of our program at the end of May giving them less options. If one comes available, unless that player is going to be the best player on Seton Hall, I would prefer a back court player. So if Anthony Davis wants to join SHU I'd make an exception. This board will go crazy about how the roster is constructed if Nelson, Powell, or Q go down with an injury and how thin our back court is. Right now are backcourt is literally 3 guys playing 75 minutes of the 80 minutes. Press and Powell is going to wear guys out going into March. I'd take a 4th guard who allows Powell to play 28 minutes per game as opposed to 35-38. A fresh Powell going into March is more important than anything. Let's also not forget how often Q had 2 fouls on him before the under 16 minute TV timeout. Q is aggressive on the defensive end, that extra guard allows him to stay aggressive.
ok so your are not comprehending that Willard tried to get another guard and was unsuccessful. he went after grad transfer guards, he went after late committing freshman it didn't work out. It's not a juiston or guard choice here.

btw, almost every other team has 3 guards playing nearly 75 of the 80 minutes. Most teams play 7-8 guys. If one of those three get injured/foul trouble then a combination of Reynolds and sliding our players down the rotation, cale to the 2 spot, rhoden playing more 3 etc. will happen.

ok so your are not comprehending that Willard tried to get another guard and was unsuccessful. he went after grad transfer guards, he went after late committing freshman it didn't work out. It's not a juiston or guard choice here.

btw, almost every other team has 3 guards playing nearly 75 of the 80 minutes. Most teams play 7-8 guys. If one of those three get injured/foul trouble then a combination of Reynolds and sliding our players down the rotation, cale to the 2 spot, rhoden playing more 3 etc. will happen.
It's not a Juiston or guard choice because......we have no scholarships available. You're not comprehending I'm entitled to my own opinion. Is it possible he was unsuccessful because at the time people believed Davis was coming here? I was not high on the Australian kid coming here, but if I knew Davis wasn't coming I would have had a different opinion. Until a scholarship opens up, it's a pointless conversation. For the record, I like our roster. It's definitely not perfect, but there isn't one guy I want to see leave. I hope they all come back.

When Geno Auriemma interviews a prospect...no matter a 5 star or not...if the girl wants to know how many minutes she will be getting...she is no longer a prospect.

Reactions: deheremike
I find it very hard to believe that we would be a worse team with Juiston. As a small forward, he can drive, rebound, create matchup problems and carry a lot of the scoring load. He would have opposing teams worry about someone else other than MP and probably help make Mamu even better by pushing him throughout the season

I have no problem having college kids earn their playing time each year vs. getting comfortable from what they’ve already achieved. It keeps them hungry and makes them play hard every game. It keeps focus—something KW teams have lacked during stretches of our schedule.

We all say we expect to see Cale, Rhoden, Mamu—even Shavar—improve this year with another year of experience. What’s wrong with another player that comes in to up the ante of their respective playing times?

How do they get him in? Scholarships are year to year correct? Could they not offer Shavar or Brodie a scholarship this year? Love Shavar as a person but the one year scholarship is a bonus for a walk on in my opinion.

How do they get him in? Scholarships are year to year correct? Could they not offer Shavar or Brodie a scholarship this year? Love Shavar as a person but the one year scholarship is a bonus for a walk on in my opinion.
The guess is that Shavar will remain on scholarship. There was a misconception last year with fans that Shavars scholly was only for one year, either it wasn’t (it was for 3) or he earned 3 by his play. I doubt Shavar is going anywhere, plus we are thin at guard.

But there are times like this when you remember it’s always good to have one spot to play with in case opportunities like this present itself.

Last edited:
The guess is that Shavar will remain on scholarship. There was a misconception last year with fans that Shavars scholly was for only for one year, either it wasn’t (it was for 3) or he earned 3 by his play. I doubt Shavar is going anywhere, plus we are thin at guard.

But there are times like this when you remember it’s always good to have one spot to play with in case of opportunities like this present itself.

Unless something has changed all schollies are technically for one year and are renewed every year.

Unless something has changed all schollies are technically for one year and are renewed every year.

Technically Ebenezer Scrooge doesn’t have to like Christmas or be kind to poor people. Willard probably gave him a 3 year scholly, nothing technical about it.

Maybe Jersey is changing. But the Jersey I grew up in, your word was your word and a handshake was a contract. Pulling a scholarship from players is just low class. I have no problem explaining to a player he may not see minutes. If the player chooses another direction so be it. But if the player chooses to take on the challenge of staying and putting in extra work to earn minutes, then you honor your word and keep that young man on scholarship.

Technically Ebenezer Scrooge doesn’t have to like Christmas or be kind to poor people. Willard probably gave him a 3 year scholly, nothing technical about it.
As I said I love the kids and that his father is serving our country but he's not a D1 scholarship player.

Your own words..probably. we don't know what the agreement was. They had an unused scholarship and awarded it to him last year for his hard work. That doesn't guaranty him a full ride his remaining term. He was a walk on Now if you had a kid commit or transfer I'd agree that it would be implied that it was for the full stay and pulling it would be a low class move but as a walk on we just don't know what the conversation was.

As I said I love the kids and that his father is serving our country but he's not a D1 scholarship player.

Your own words..probably. we don't know what the agreement was. They had an unused scholarship and awarded it to him last year for his hard work. That doesn't guaranty him a full ride his remaining term. He was a walk on Now if you had a kid commit or transfer I'd agree that it would be implied that it was for the full stay and pulling it would be a low class move but as a walk on we just don't know what the conversation was.
Shavar might be our best on ball defender. That’s impressive because we have a guy named Quincy McKnight on our team. He’s earned a scholarship.

Stop looking for loopholes on ways to take his scholarship away. It’s disgraceful. It comes across no different than a guy looking for a respectable loophole to get rid of his wife because a prettier, younger woman is flirting with him. They did a whole interview on FOX about his scholarship last year. Nobody ever mentioned it being one year because we had an extra scholarship available.

And if Shavar walks away.....who guards Myles Powell in practice? That would leave us with 3 guards and Cale practicing with first team. Rhoden? Samuel?

Last edited:
Guys, Reynolds isn't going anywhere nor should he. He was offered and accepted a scholarship from Seton Hall.

He a great kid in good standing on and off the court. You don't punish members of your roster because maybe something better 'might' be available.

Guys, Reynolds isn't going anywhere nor should he. He was offered and accepted a scholarship from Seton Hall.

He a great kid in good standing on and off the court. You don't punish members of your roster because maybe something better 'might' be available.
Thank God.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

Ridiculous to even consider, IMO. Shavar embodies what Willard wants in his program, plus he’s a good defender and moves the ball around. Without him we have just 3 real guards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT