ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland

Willard usually at his best when no one is expecting anything.

Very good win for Maryland. Purdue’s guards being exposed more and more as the season goes on. Gotta give KW credit, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year but he got Young in the portal and he is the elite scorer Willard needs for his offense. Their dancing.

Very good win for Maryland. Purdue’s guards being exposed more and more as the season goes on. Gotta give KW credit, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year but he got Young in the portal and he is the elite scorer Willard needs for his offense. Their dancing.
Can we find another elite scorer in the portal?

Picked 10th in the pre-season media poll, they are 18-8 (9-6) and tied for third in the league.

If not for Northwestern, he might have a shot at B-10 Coach of the Year.
Very glad for both Willard and Billmeier.

Hope to see them in the NCAA Tournament. The Committee always has a sense of drama. Give me a 7/10 opener with them. 🫡

Mayland (18-8, 9-6) is 19th in the NET, 16th in KP and have a favorable schedule down the stretch. Likely will finish 12-8 or 13-7, but could sweep. They’re 4-8 Q1, 4-0 Q2 right now.

They haven’t played a NCAA Tournament since 2019, wow.

Nothing like a now nearly 20 post thread about Maryland from a poster who criticized others for posting about Maryland. Oh, the irony.

Willard will forever be linked to seton hall, and seton hall to him. You want him to be successful to validate that this isn’t a coaching graveyard. You can accept the seton hall job and go on to have a successful career.

Seton hall will always be viewed as a difficult job but it was gaining a reputation as an impossible job. That’s certainly no longer the case.

Mayland (18-8, 9-6) is 19th in the NET, 16th in KP and have a favorable schedule down the stretch. Likely will finish 12-8 or 13-7, but could sweep. They’re 4-8 Q1, 4-0 Q2 right now.

They haven’t played a NCAA Tournament since 2019, wow.
The kill shot to Turgeon's tenure was the '20 tourney cancellation with his Anthony Cowan/Jalen Smith team.

Reactions: LBP43 and TomD82
Willard will forever be linked to seton hall, and seton hall to him. You want him to be successful to validate that this isn’t a coaching graveyard. You can accept the seton hall job and go on to have a successful career.

Seton hall will always be viewed as a difficult job but it was gaining a reputation as an impossible job. That’s certainly no longer the case.
I kind of disagree. The more he wins, the more it could show how hard this job is. Right now they have a NET of a potential 5 seed. In 12 years we were never a 5 seed. That shows how difficult Seton Hall is. Now I know nobody has them as a 5 seed right now, but if they keep winning they could find themselves as a 6 seed, which we accomplished once in his time here.

I kind of disagree. The more he wins, the more it could show how hard this job is. Right now they have a NET of a potential 5 seed. In 12 years we were never a 5 seed. That shows how difficult Seton Hall is.
I’m not saying Seton hall is an easy job, but as of right now This comment isn’t accurate. In 2019-2020 we finished #14 in the country in the final rankings. We were slated to be a 4 or 5 seed pending conference tournament results. This was a strong year for the big east with 3 teams in the top 15 for the final rankings and butler falling in the top 25 as well

The BIG is having a major down year. Just 2 teams in the top 25 out of 14 schools. During the same week last season, BIG had 5 schools ranked in the top 20. Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, OSU are significantly down this year

Willard was able to build an experienced roster in a conference rebuilding year. Credit him for doing what he needed to do. The next 2-3 years will show the trend at Maryland

A lot changed during Willard’s time too. Set aside his own development as a coach, recruiter, and program leader for a second and simply look at the circumstances:

**Look at The Big East conference. Totally different ballgame now than when Willard took the job.

**The university changed and upgraded across the board significantly, IMO. Also totally different. Remember all the stuff that got into the media with Joe Quinlan and Sr. Buley? Gonzo was a nut, sure, but you also had to deal with elements that ran deeper. The place was dysfunctional at a time when the league we played in was an insane overbred monster. And that was following what happen with Louis Orr (RIP) which was not perceived well nationally.

There were many accounts of Willard second-guessing his decision in those early years. But he got some good guidance, some ultimatums with time to meet them, and it all worked out for everyone.

I’m not saying Seton hall is an easy job, but as of right now This comment isn’t accurate. In 2019-2020 we finished #14 in the country in the final rankings. We were slated to be a 4 or 5 seed pending conference tournament results. This was a strong year for the big east with 3 teams in the top 15 for the final rankings and butler falling in the top 25 as well

The BIG is having a major down year. Just 2 teams in the top 25 out of 14 schools. During the same week last season, BIG had 5 schools ranked in the top 20. Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, OSU are significantly down this year

Willard was able to build an experienced roster in a conference rebuilding year. Credit him for doing what he needed to do. The next 2-3 years will show the trend at Maryland
Even though we never got the seed offically, we were better than a 6 seed once in 12 years. Still not impressive by the standards of anyone who thinks second weekend is important for rating coaches.

Last edited:
I kind of disagree. The more he wins, the more it could show how hard this job is. Right now they have a NET of a potential 5 seed. In 12 years we were never a 5 seed. That shows how difficult Seton Hall is. Now I know nobody has them as a 5 seed right now, but if they keep winning they could find themselves as a 6 seed, which we accomplished once in his time here.
I was actually thinking the same thing. If this is the year Willard gets to the second weekend (still not likely) and we fail to even dance with the Miracle Worker of Jersey City, that narrative could begin to take hold.

It will take time for that to solidify but I don't think anybody would argue with the fact that Maryland has greater resources at its disposal than Seton Hall does.

Willard/Maryland has had a nice season and certainly have benefitted from a more balanced Big 10.

Wait so we are anointing Maryland a 6 seed on February 17? Ok.

Just 10 days ago rutgers was a 5 seed.

Can we get to the tournament before giving seeds out?

Reactions: PirateFan94
Willard will never get to second weekend. He’s won a total of 1 NCAA game. Maybe he gets another. Terrible big game coach.
Based on that logic, Shaka was a big game coach at VCU, I would assume he’s been in final 4s at Texas and wouldn’t lose by 30+ in the dance at Marquette. How could it be that things change? Is that even possible? Lol I would say Willard won and lost a lot of big games in his time at SHU.

Last edited:
The kill shot to Turgeon's tenure was the '20 tourney cancellation with his Anthony Cowan/Jalen Smith team.
Coincidentally the one Willard beat with a short-handed Seton Hall team missing both its starters, Powell and Mamu.

Willard's a good coach. He's has resources galore down there that he didn't have here, which will make recruiting easier. They already have a highly-rated incoming freshmen class. It all comes down to the NCAA Tournament there.

Reactions: Section112
Playing themselves back to the 8/9 game. Really had a chance to be a 5 seed if they ran off a bunch of wins in a row like they should have.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
Md blows the game in ot. The bt is richer but it aint better.

Willard and family are nice people so i am told by people who know them. But as for his post shu career, idgas.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT