ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland

zero chance .... disclosure not a williard hater...

I don't think it will happen but the team does have 5 seniors. We've seen seniors cook in March. Maryland is the 11th most experienced team in D1.

Willard teams are really good in February and the first week of March. He's yet to figure out how to transition that late season success into a meaningful tournament run.

Should be a top 25 team come tomorrow. Not bad for a team that was picked to be tenth in the conference. Good for Kevin. He earned his shot. Other than that embarrassing loss to nebraska, he has had a really good first season. They win their last two and do some real damage in the conference tournament, could be looking at as high as a 5 seed, maybe?
Nebraska is 15-14 overall and 8-10 in the Big 10. They are 11-3 at home.

They won at Creighton by 10. They beat Iowa by 16 and have double digit wins at Rutgers, Penn State and against Wisconsin at home among others.

Please tell me how a four-point road loss in OT is embarrassing.

They won at Creighton by 10. They beat Iowa by 16 and have double digit wins at Rutgers, Penn State and against Wisconsin at home among others.

Really? Do I really need to break this down for you.

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. You answered your own question. “Nebraska is 15-14 overall and 8-10 the Big 10”. It’s not really that complicated, is it?

To go further in depth though, Maryland had taken control of the game with about seven minutes left, and then they let it get away from them. They blew it. I’ll take it one step further for you though. The prior game, Maryland convincingly and thoroughly beat down No. 3 purdue. They come out in the next game and lay a stinker. You beat down the third ranked team in the country, and then lose to what has been the conference basement dweller for the last several years. Add it all up and, yes, I would call that an embarrassing loss.

Sorry if that doesn’t pass muster for you.

Nebraska got blown out by st johns. enough said.
not one big 10 team will make it out if the 2nd round..

Should be a top 25 team come tomorrow. Not bad for a team that was picked to be tenth in the conference. Good for Kevin. He earned his shot. Other than that embarrassing loss to nebraska, he has had a really good first season. They win their last two and do some real damage in the conference tournament, could be looking at as high as a 5 seed, maybe?
He may finally get the seed he needs to advance.

I was at Wichita to witness our first round win against NC State. Still say if Desi didn't slip on that damn Providence ice rink parading as a basketball court, we could have beaten Kansas. We almost did.

I was at Wichita to witness our first round win against NC State. Still say if Desi didn't slip on that damn Providence ice rink parading as a basketball court, we could have beaten Kansas. We almost did.
Penn State and Ohio State to finish the year on the road where they are 1-7 on the road in conference. They got a lot of work to do to get a good seed. 2 tough games that really have little upside other than the big ten double bye, and tons of downside.

Reactions: Terptek

Jealous you got to see our last tournament win.

There’s a lot to comment on there. A number of people on this board are playing the “Kevin will never make it out of the first weekend” card. All things considered, he had no reasonable expectation of pulling that off going into this season anyway, so it’s easy for them to say. Other than the game in nebraska, he’s now got the team playing at a level that they may very well have a favorable matchup in the first round. As far as I’m concerned, he really only needs to win the one game in the tournament for the season to be a rousing success. Anything beyond that is gravy. But I don’t think he needs to break through the first weekend this year to justify anything. For now, they’ll just be happy to be back in the tournament and not be one and done. Gotta feel like this team can achieve that.

With the team back in 2018…oh, man. I think with a healthy Desi we would definitely pull off that big upset in the tournament we have been waiting years for. The thing that gets me though is we should have never been in that position against Kansas in the second round to begin with. Had we achieved anything close to expectations, I don’t think we’re any worse than a six seed. If people wanna rip on Kevin, that season is pretty much fair game, I think. The underachieving team and the late season injury to Desi doomed us in a game we shouldn’t have even been in. Alas, it is what it is. As it was, we sure gave Kansas a run for their money, didn’t we?

And yeah, I’m still sore about the dunkin’ donuts ice skating rink.

Reactions: mbraue and Terptek

Nebraska has won 4 in a row. Main embarrassing moment was Jahmir Young letting Hoiberg jump passing lane by not going to the ball enough. Other than that, Terps are a team that plays beyond its talent level. Good teamwork, continually grinding. That was missing at times with Turgeon. I enjoy how hard Terps and Pirates play. That matters come tourney time. Sr leadership and good FT%

Ucla and tennessee games were not competative for 40 min

Really? Do I really need to break this down for you.

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. You answered your own question. “Nebraska is 15-14 overall and 8-10 the Big 10”. It’s not really that complicated, is it?

To go further in depth though, Maryland had taken control of the game with about seven minutes left, and then they let it get away from them. They blew it. I’ll take it one step further for you though. The prior game, Maryland convincingly and thoroughly beat down No. 3 purdue. They come out in the next game and lay a stinker. You beat down the third ranked team in the country, and then lose to what has been the conference basement dweller for the last several years. Add it all up and, yes, I would call that an embarrassing loss.

Sorry if that doesn’t pass muster for you.
That's not embarrassing but your mileage obviously varies.

Embarrassing is scoring 42 and losing to TCU in an NCAA Tournament 8-9 game.

Embarrassing is losing to a Siena team that lost to Georgetown and just lost to Iona by 33.

This was an OT conference road loss to a team that beat Iowa by 16. A team we lost to at home by 16.

If Maryland shoots the 3 the way they did today they will be a tough out in the NCAAT. But they are only shooting it at 31% coming into today. When they don’t shoot the 3 we’ll, they struggle. But they have improved as the season has gone on.

They have been winning on defense, good ball movement and an elite basket getter in Young who can take over a game late.

Penn State and Ohio State to finish the year on the road where they are 1-7 on the road in conference. They got a lot of work to do to get a good seed. 2 tough games that really have little upside other than the big ten double bye, and tons of downside
Jealous you got to see our last tournament win.

There’s a lot to comment on there. A number of people on this board are playing the “Kevin will never make it out of the first weekend” card. All things considered, he had no reasonable expectation of pulling that off going into this season anyway, so it’s easy for them to say. Other than the game in nebraska, he’s now got the team playing at a level that they may very well have a favorable matchup in the first round. As far as I’m concerned, he really only needs to win the one game in the tournament for the season to be a rousing success. Anything beyond that is gravy. But I don’t think he needs to break through the first weekend this year to justify anything. For now, they’ll just be happy to be back in the tournament and not be one and done. Gotta feel like this team can achieve that.

With the team back in 2018…oh, man. I think with a healthy Desi we would definitely pull off that big upset in the tournament we have been waiting years for. The thing that gets me though is we should have never been in that position against Kansas in the second round to begin with. Had we achieved anything close to expectations, I don’t think we’re any worse than a six seed. If people wanna rip on Kevin, that season is pretty much fair game, I think. The underachieving team and the late season injury to Desi doomed us in a game we shouldn’t have even been in. Alas, it is what it is. As it was, we sure gave Kansas a run for their money, didn’t we?

And yeah, I’m still sore about the dunkin’ donuts ice skating rink.
I think the Big East is very strong this year, and I would not be surprised - and am cheering for teams I root against when we play them - to kill it in the NCAAs. I do think the Big East will show strong in the NCAAs.

Unfortunately, we likely won't be participating, as we usually do.

As for Kevin, I think he has Maryland 2nd in Big 10 when they were picked 10. Not bad. He left the cupboard bare here, but Jerry Carino at our Booster Club dinner, when questioned about which coach might fare better in the first season, said Seton Hall had the better talent vs. Maryland. Oh well.

Losing Yetna hurt big time, and now the Richmond injury down the stretch, is putting an end to post-season hopes. But the team has really never looked cohesive. Missing so much on offense, right down to poor FT shooting.

What worries me most is the future - which assistants are going to help get us top talent? A 7-2 player from St. Pat's, I think, just committed to Syracuse.

We have no recruits to speak of yet. Easy to blame NIL, but that is weak. We have NIL funds and even blood bloods are complaining about NIL.

Kevin built a winning program, hoping Sha can sustain it. So far this year is mediocre.

The argument that it took Kevin 5 years for success is moot. Sha is taking over a proud, winning program, not a dumpster fire from Gonzo. No excuse not to hit the ground running, which means next year must be better.

NIL has changed a lot and Sha got a very late start. With a healthy Yetna we have to be two wins better which would have us on the bubble. Maybe not in for sure. But this team doesn’t have five starters let alone any depth especially at center and PG.

On Willard I’m rooting for him. Lots of bitterness towards our most successful coach since PJ. It’s possible to root for both SHU as I bleed blue and wish Willard well. Transitions are never easy and he owed us nothing IMO. He turned around a program that was a huge mess. It’s up to Sha now and our administration and coaching staff to make the improvements necessary to get our program back to the Tourney next year. Hoping we have the NIL to get it done.

Embarrassing is losing to a Siena team that lost to Georgetown and just lost to Iona by 33.

This was an OT conference road loss to a team that beat Iowa by 16. A team we lost to at home by 16.
Agree completely. The loss to Nebraska is simply a conference loss on the road and that is how the selection committee views it. Oklahoma is similar to Nebraska by some metrics while worst by net, but we lost to them by 13 on a neutral court.

Watch the games.
It was a joke considering many posts complaining about Willard only running a weave and isolation plays. They have many more weapons plus a point guard who can get to the rim, shoot, and find guys. You can do a lot with that which couldn't be done with the makeup of rosters we had here. When you watch, it's very simple to see they run good offense and Willard know's more than the weave and pick and roll.

Yes, obviously my mileage varies. Although I would agree those other losses you mentioned are embarrassing as well. I never said our program didn’t have more than their fair share of embarrassing losses(when did that ever come up for debate?), but obviously there’s quite a bit of difference between Seton Hall University and University of Maryland when it come to their basketball programs, wouldn‘t you say? That’s why Kevin made the move after all, isn’t it? What qualifies as embarrassing for one program may not be for another, depending on where they stand on the basketball hierarchy. Like you said, mileage varies, right?

obviously there’s quite a bit of difference between Seton Hall University and University of Maryland when it come to their basketball programs, wouldn‘t you say? That’s why Kevin made the move after all, isn’t it?
No. He had about an addition 2 million reasons to make the move from Seton Hall. He would've gone to St Francis NY or PA if either of those schools made an offer of 4.5 mil. Heck I think any of us would.

No. He had about an addition 2 million reasons to make the move from Seton Hall. He would've gone to St Francis NY or PA if either of those schools made an offer of 4.5 mil. Heck I think any of us would.
There is a big gap in resources AND the school within the region of probably the best high school talent in the country. Those were big factors im sure...

I’m inclined to agree about the money but, as ceballoj posted, there was a lot more to it than just the money. Yes, without a shred of doubt, the money was a motivator, but that was just one aspect. As much as it hurts to say, this was in no way a horizontal move in terms of programs. It was a step up in every tangible sense.

I’m inclined to agree about the money but, as ceballoj posted, there was a lot more to it than just the money. Yes, without a shred of doubt, the money was a motivator, but that was just one aspect. As much as it hurts to say, this was in no way a horizontal move in terms of programs. It was a step up in every tangible sense.
The other factors make it a no brainer. Most of us aren't making 2.5 million a year so just doubling our salaries probably isn't a fair comparison. Just about every dollar more he made is discretionary money. How many here that make 150K a year would turn down a job of 500K at a place with less resources? Now 500K with more resources makes it a no brainer, but seriously how much would the resources impact your decision?

Last edited:
Most likely Under Armor had his name in front of MD for some time. They kept it in the family and the timing was right for Kevin. I would have jumped too for that money even if it was hard on the family.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
The other factors make it a no brainer. Most of us aren't making 2.5 million a year so doubling our salaries probably isn't a fair comparison. Just about every dollar more he made is discretionary money. How many here that make 150K a year would turn down a job of 500K at a place with less resources? Now 500K with more resources makes it a no brainer, but seriously how much would the resources impact your decision?
Money isn’t a resource? Not sure what your premise is here at this point.

They offered him a truckload of money, thus more resources. A school with even less resources than our program would not and could not offer him an obscene amount of money anyway, so what’s the point? If we couldn’t, how could those other schools? It’s not a realistic scenario.

As for impacting the decision, indie bands usually don’t jump to a major record label for the signing bonus only. Sure, it’s a big draw, but a major record label can do a lot more for your brand than just a signing bonus that an indie label couldn’t match. They can support the band by giving it more exposure and promotion, providing significantly better budgets for tours and making albums, better connections within the industry and overall resources. Yeah, the expectations are higher, but that’s the price of moving up. Not unlike a coach moving up in the basketball hierarchy. Maybe Kevin wants to be an NBA head coach some day? He has an easier path to that by being successful at a school that can support their basketball program significantly better than what we can provide.

Make no mistake, Kevin is enjoying the perks that come from a major label. Are you saying Kevin only saw money and didn’t take the big perks into consideration?

It would be incredible ironic (for this board) if Maryland is the one to make a run in the NCAA tournament
Lol. I hope they do. Why not? No ill will here. Willard and Grant did a lot for SHU. Sooner or later Willard will breakthrough in that Tournament.

He’s better than 1-5. And he knows all about that drain on his resume. Maybe the change of scenery helps who knows.

Make no mistake, Kevin is enjoying the perks that come from a major label. Are you saying Kevin only saw money and didn’t take the big perks into consideration?
Of course he saw the perks. Everyone looks at the whole picture. But if after the run last year Sha saw $4.5 mil per year from St. Peter's, you think he would've come to SHU? I don't. And to be honest I wouldn't either. Would you? The gigantic difference in money is the selling point, rest is gravy. Heck there was even some chatter that some bigger school would offer Sha more money than us. Money is the main draw for most coaches. Others it's their family situation. Sometimes when the money is so much greater...the family can make it work to move elsewhere.

Last edited:
Lol. I hope they do. Why not? No ill will here. Willard and Grant did a lot for SHU. Sooner or later Willard will breakthrough in that Tournament.

He’s better than 1-5. And he knows all about that drain on his resume. Maybe the change of scenery helps who knows.
Or maybe he’s just an average coach and does the same there.

I still think the odds he doesn't make it past year 4 are decent.
They gave Turgeon 10+ seasons..he didn’t make the NCAAs until his 4th season…also made 1 S16 there…he will get to year 4

OSU is on year 6 of Holtman who has not gotten past the round of 32 AND has a 2/15 loss on his resume

I know two Maryland alums who are pretty happy right now..both thought he was going to need a couple of seasons to bring them back and be top 8 team in B1G because guess what?!..wait for it…..wait for it…..they complain about their NIL and say they are way behind their competitors in the B1G! Who would have thought that?!

They gave Turgeon 10+ seasons..he didn’t make the NCAAs until his 4th season…also made 1 S16 there…he will get to year 4

OSU is on year 6 of Holtman who has not gotten past the round of 32 AND has a 2/15 loss on his resume

I know two Maryland alums who are pretty happy right now..both thought he was going to need a couple of seasons to bring them back and be top 8 team in B1G because guess what?!..wait for it…..wait for it…..they complain about their NIL and say they are way behind their competitors in the B1G! Who would have thought that?!
Let’s get their opinion when he has a game 1 exit to a TCU by 20. My brother is an alum and hated the hire as many of his fellow alum did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT