ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland

Years back yes but is that mandatory? So I am not allowed to point out the obvious? My bad, I guess I don't know the rules.
So for years you haven't pointed out anything positive. That qualifies you as a hater with an agenda.

So for years you haven't pointed out anything positive. That qualifies you as a hater with an agenda.
Yes, my "agenda" is to point out the obvious facts. "Hater" is name calling and very subjective. Being an accountant, I like to stick to the facts.

Yes, my "agenda" is to point out the obvious facts. "Hater" is name calling and very subjective. Being an accountant, I like to stick to the facts.
I guess the fact the guy's made 5 of the last 6 tournaments, and likely to make 6 of 7 is a point you don't care about.

I'm curious to know "the facts" of how many coaches have done that? The ones who have are probably in a class you don't want to put Willard in.

Can you enlighten us with those facts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bloods
I guess the fact the guy's made 5 of the last 6 tournaments, and likely to make 6 of 7 is a point you don't care about.

I'm curious to know "the facts" of how many coaches have done that? The ones who have are probably in a class you don't want to put Willard in.

Can you enlighten us with those facts?
I have always said that Willard was a good coach with a low ceiling. Five NCAA tournaments with just one win is not getting it done. We all know he won't last more than four years at Maryland if he has a similar performance. He is still young so maybe he will finally get over the hurdle but it was definitely time for a change and I am thrilled to have Sha as our coach.

I have always said that Willard was a good coach with a low ceiling. Five NCAA tournaments with just one win is not getting it done. We all know he won't last more than four years at Maryland if he has a similar performance. He is still young so maybe he will finally get over the hurdle but it was definitely time for a change and I am thrilled to have Sha as our coach.
Willard's a good coach. You live in a world of facts. You haven't acknowledged a positive fact in years about the guy. Comes across as the agenda of a hater.

I'm rooting for Sha, but as of right now I'm concerned about our recruiting. We've been to 5 of the last 6 tournaments. We shouldn't need a few years to rebuild. Coaches need time to make their mark. That's understandable.

However the guy you find every negative fact on had 4 returning contributors, all with similar ratings out of HS that our 4 returning contributors had. So this idea that many are floating that the cupboard was left bare is an excuse because the good coach with the low ceiling entered a similar situation and will make the NCAA tournament.

Md blows the game in ot. The bt is richer but it aint better.

Willard and family are nice people so i am told by people who know them. But as for his post shu career, idgas.
willard isnt a nice guy. thats always been clear

• Haha
Reactions: MBDuncan
I think this is a bad rap. If Desi had not injured himself on that silly Providence court with the ice under it, we could have beaten Kansas. Angel had the game of his life and Desi was a shell of himself. Bad luck and timing.

If not for Covid, the Gill/Ike year with Powell would have been special. You had Powell, Jared, Mamu and Quincy, plus the Redwoods in the middle. That team could have gotten to the Sweet 16 at least. 3 guys playing professionally now, 2 in the NBA and Powell averaging 30 plus in the Philippines after a short stint in the NBA.
not bad luck. that team CRATERED in the middle of the season (again) which they had to claw back to an 8/9 seed which had them meet kansas in the 2nd round. that core group should have made it to the 2nd round any of those years.

Willard's a good coach. You live in a world of facts. You haven't acknowledged a positive fact in years about the guy. Comes across as the agenda of a hater.

I'm rooting for Sha, but as of right now I'm concerned about our recruiting. We've been to 5 of the last 6 tournaments. We shouldn't need a few years to rebuild. Coaches need time to make their mark. That's understandable.

However the guy you find every negative fact on had 4 returning contributors, all with similar ratings out of HS that our 4 returning contributors had. So this idea that many are floating that the cupboard was left bare is an excuse because the good coach with the low ceiling entered a similar situation and will make the NCAA tournament.
I'm done, I have presented the facts. You sound like a whinner. Is Willard your cousin? Grow a set.

I'm done, I have presented the facts. You sound like a whinner. Is Willard your cousin? Grow a set.
You only presented half the facts. Willard has at least as many good moments as bad moments. Present the facts of coaches who made at least 5 of the last 6 tournaments.

Willard lost in QF after having small lead early in 2nd half

Last edited:
Willard was a complicated man. Never comfortable socially with outsiders, but charming as hell with those in the profession and others that he knew well.

Depending who you were and where you stood with him I fully understand the two divergent opinions of our former coach.

Personally I liked Willard and thought he represented us well, especially over the final 7 seasons. I did think he was in over his head early on and really until that pivotal recruiting class was choreographed in 2014.

Amazing KW gets another 8/9 game likely, LOL.

It will be very interesting to see how the Big 10 does this year in tournament. I would expect most of the teams to be in the 7-10 range. I just don't see any of these teams winning multiple games, but you cannot count out Izzo. And if there was ever a high seed that looked very vulnerable to early loss, it is Purdue.

I just want a coach who has Seton Hall University playing meaningful games every March and isn't causing harm to the image of the University.

To do that at Seton Hall, at least for the past 2 decades, you have get recruits around the 200 rankings like Mamu and Rhoden and coach them up. Find a gem in Ro. Hope you have an assistant who can bring a recruit with him. Willard did all that. You're going to have your hits and misses with players but overall find a way to get it done.

I often get the feeling many here want to have a coach who acknowledges them and makes them feel good. I don't want to be friends with any of our coaches. I don't want to have a beer with them. I don't want to play a round of golf with them. Just get Seton Hall playing meaningful games in March because this March sucked and will continue to suck. We've done too many months of March like this one in the past.

Willard was a complicated man. Never comfortable socially with outsiders, but charming as hell with those in the profession and others that he knew well.

Depending who you were and where you stood with him I fully understand the two divergent opinions of our former coach.
I met Kevin a handful of times. I certainly wouldn't call him a friend. But he knew who I was and was comfortable enough around to have a cordial conversation.

I can certainly see him being a somewhat different person in a different situation. Many of us are.

6 pages on Willard and Md!!!! Please stop. Focus time, energy and funds on our team. Use your time to help raise NIL $$$ etc.

I just want a coach who has Seton Hall University playing meaningful games every March and isn't causing harm to the image of the University.

To do that at Seton Hall, at least for the past 2 decades, you have get recruits around the 200 rankings like Mamu and Rhoden and coach them up. Find a gem in Ro. Hope you have an assistant who can bring a recruit with him. Willard did all that. You're going to have your hits and misses with players but overall find a way to get it done.

I often get the feeling many here want to have a coach who acknowledges them and makes them feel good. I don't want to be friends with any of our coaches. I don't want to have a beer with them. I don't want to play a round of golf with them. Just get Seton Hall playing meaningful games in March because this March sucked and will continue to suck. We've done too many months of March like this one in the past.
You’re sentiment is well taken and the most frustrating part of the Willard era was the amount of missed opportunities to win those meaningful March games.

I think the reason so many are still excited for the Holloway era is Sha has proven he can win those big games, and when his system and culture are fully in place, I expect we’ll see more of those big wins here at the Hall.

Few issues.

1. "He took us out of the gutter" yea true but seriously low bar. He also never competed in the crazy big east that orr and gonzo competed in.

2. Hes a sub .500 Big East coach

3. Made ncaa tourney 5 seasons, but could never win a game.

I never was a fan of his coaching schemes, offense or defense or his wild subs. Had some nice players plus the isaiah class but after sandro, and myles the talent pool was very average. We always thought if we won the talent would come. Idk if he just wore out his welcome and needed a new challenge or thought maryland would attract better talent.

• Haha
Reactions: MBDuncan
He got us a bunch of bids. Only pj ever did that. Imo not admitting he did a good job is silly. Not perfect. Had the bad stretches and the ncaa failures . But he got us there many times. And his time here featured great players who were great people. His time here will be seen as a highpoint relative to our BE record. There is pj. Then a few rungs down, kw is next.

He got us a bunch of bids. Only pj ever did that. Imo not admitting he did a good job is silly. Not perfect. Had the bad stretches and the ncaa failures . But he got us there many times. And his time here featured great players who were great people. His time here will be seen as a highpoint relative to our BE record. There is pj. Then a few rungs down, kw is next.
curious because i wasnt a fan then, but did the other coaches get a 6 year leash to start? seems like we had some coaches that werent terrible but didnt last

Anyone who knew the players & PJ weren’t surprised when Sprewell took the shot heard around the world. Players said great coach (training, game prep etc). Not so great as a person back then, except when being interviewed.

Reactions: Seton75
yea so nobody in between
The guys who took over the program at some of its lowest points got more time. Shocking. Gonzo didn't get canned because of what he did on the court. He would've gotten at least 5 years if it wasn't for off the court issues.

Think about it Gonzo would've gotten 5 years taking over a program that went to 2 NCAA's in 3 years.
Willard got 6 for taking over program who was most recognized for an armed robbery, nut punch, and murse theft.

Last edited:
The guys who took over the program at some of its lowest points got more time. Shocking. Gonzo didn't get canned because of what he did on the court. He would've gotten at least 5 years if it wasn't for off the court issues.

Think about it Gonzo would've gotten 5 years taking over a program that went to 2 NCAA's in 3 years.
Willard got 6 for taking over program who was most recognized for an armed robbery, nut punch, and murse theft.
gonzos team were somewhat competitive in a MUCH more difficult big east. and fwiw the nut punch did happen on the court lol.

gonzos team were somewhat competitive in a MUCH more difficult big east. and fwiw the nut punch did happen on the court lol.
The 2009-2010 team with Hazell, Harvey, Robinson, pope would be a top tier team in the current Big East.

Reactions: garyshu71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT