ADVERTISEMENT

Muhammad Final 5

This is my take.

Out of all the sit out transfers, we wanted Muhammad the most, but only if he was willing to sit out a year.

As soon as Muhammad reported he was transferring, Zags said ASU was the front runner and believe it or not, he was right. I have been told they were tampering all year.

Aiken was our number one target with Sanogo being a clear number two, but we definitely wanted Muhammad. He would have been a great replacement for Cale. He’s slightly better than MC, imo.

As for having only one open scholarship, I still think there’s a chance someone leaves even if we are not going to fill it.

Reactions: SHUSource
You might be on to something. 5 scholarships and given our track record, we have a better chance of South Orange allowing a 20,000 seat arena on campus than us getting 5 high school seniors
That’s right....My original post had 5 and then couldn’t find anyone else....wow 5 ships in one year is a lot. One of them will probably be a transfer to balance the classes out.

Reactions: shupat08
As soon as Muhammad reported he was transferring, Zags said ASU was the front runner and believe it or not, he was right. I have been told they were tampering all year.
I hope someone makes Mr. Integrity In College Basketball, Jim Boeheim, aware of this so he may set to right this terrible wrong.

Reactions: Hallsome
Actually 2021/22. We only lose one and it's for this coming season.

Yes, it was silly when we did it during the Whitehead class......

Well, considering how much of an upgrade they needed in talent then, it was obviously a different situation. Also, grad transfers are much more prevalent now than then they were five years ago. So your point is?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Yes, it was silly when we did it during the Whitehead class......
Actually, the ‘14 class’ freshman year didn’t fare too well if you remember correctly. So yeah, balancing upper incoming members with freshman is integral for year-in and year-out success. Unless you only want to compete ever 2-3 years and have rebuilding years in between.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, even Duke took their first grade transfer for the year upcoming. And Kentucky took Reid Travis in ‘18-‘19. Each of those programs has learned how difficult it is to win on just a freshman class.

Any program that doesn’t take some sort of transfer is falling behind the current times.

If we have one ship open why did we recruit Luther so hard if that sole ship is reserved for Sanogo . I guess the old , off quoted on this Board “ if a player wants to come here we’ll find a ship for him “ didn’t apply or work in this case.
How do you you know we went hard after him? Based on what, that he had us on his list?

You can get 5 kids out of high school and still be ok. If you recruit continually at a decent level, then you don't have to backfill, that is my point. They went out and "got" 5 good kids. If Grant ends up at St Pete's, then that adds one assistant position, let's make it count.

Well, considering how much of an upgrade they needed in talent then, it was obviously a different situation. Also, grad transfers are much more prevalent now than then they were five years ago. So your point is?

Yes, when you bring in kids that are better than what you lose, then you are improving as a program.

Willard was bringing in Sean Grennans and Freddie Wilsons, so when you lost the good kids that Gonzo left behind, then you need players to get better.

Hopefully you get to the point where the freshman don't matter. We were not at that point.

Bringing in 5 kids, you still have 8 returnees.......and Willard doesn't go much deeper than 8 kids in the rotation, so he shouldn't need any of them to do more than fill a role.
Actually, the ‘14 class’ freshman year didn’t fare too well if you remember correctly. So yeah, balancing upper incoming members with freshman is integral for year-in and year-out success. Unless you only want to compete ever 2-3 years and have rebuilding years in between.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, even Duke took their first grade transfer for the year upcoming. And Kentucky took Reid Travis in ‘18-‘19. Each of those programs has learned how difficult it is to win on just a freshman class.

Any program that doesn’t take some sort of transfer is falling behind the current times.

How do you you know we went hard after him? Based on what, that he had us on his list?
Because one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters on this Board , HallDan said so. Just go back and look on the beginning of this thread and you’ll see Dan’s comments on our recruiting of him.

Did he not take up a scholarship while sitting? If he would have qualified, then he would have played, no? For that matter, Ish played only one game of any consequence. Shut Down Roosevelt Jones!!

Because one of the most respected and knowledgeable posters on this Board , HallDan said so. Just go back and look on the beginning of this thread and you’ll see Dan’s comments on our recruiting of him.
Both NJ schools, SHU and Rutgers were involved, but because of certain demands that could not be accommodated he looked elsewhere.

Either school would have been very happy to have Muhammad come on board.

I believe Dan said we wanted him badly but only as a sit out. Clearly that was a deciding factor. .

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Did he not take up a scholarship while sitting? If he would have qualified, then he would have played, no? For that matter, Ish played only one game of any consequence. Shut Down Roosevelt Jones!!
No, I get that. Just helped stagger it a bit in the future. It wasn’t a good position to have the 5 and IW leaving early and Nzei extending avoided the same thing 4 years later.

You can get 5 kids out of high school and still be ok. If you recruit continually at a decent level, then you don't have to backfill, that is my point. They went out and "got" 5 good kids. If Grant ends up at St Pete's, then that adds one assistant position, let's make it count.

They actually got 6 good players... IW, KC, Desi, Nzei, Ish and Angel... However, we hired 2 coaches to get 3 of the players.

Reactions: deheremike
They actually got 6 good players... IW, KC, Desi, Nzei, Ish and Angel... However, we hired 2 coaches to get 3 of the players.

Who cares... it was all legal. Still can’t believe that it’s harped on all of these years later. Do we critique DePaul or Butler or Creighton or Marquette or anyone else for how they get their players?

Yes we actually do. Maybe those posts just don't trigger you the same way [I can't mention it anymore] triggers you...

It’s one thing to mention schools with a $ sign replacing a S in the schools name.... but there are so many other ways programs can pull shenanigans to get a player that we don’t know about or care about. Everyone does stuff. But heaven forbid Seton Hall hire a couple of assistants one time six years ago with direct connections to players.

Reactions: Section112
It’s one thing to mention schools with a $ sign replacing a S in the schools name.... but there are so many other ways programs can pull shenanigans to get a player that we don’t know about or care about. Everyone does stuff. But heaven forbid Seton Hall hire a couple of assistants one time six years ago with direct connections to players.

I guess you don't remember the posts about DePaul hiring a coach from some PGs school and then taking his high school friend (the kid with goggles) on as a 4 year walk-on to get the kid. Believe he was a 5* PG... He committed but never got to campus.... People do mention what other schools do (actually in this case VERY similar to us) and criticize it.

But again, I'll direct you to my response to Piratz...

Agreed. I have no problem that we did it. Recruiting is cutthroat. But we can't talk about it anymore. Triggers too many people.

We got Angel through Antigua and we got IW & Desi through Morton and his kid. If KW wants to go out and get another 5* and diamond in the rough 3* and a top 50 4* center by hiring 2 coaches - go ahead KW!

It's okay. We did it. It's okay to say what we did. It was and is legal. I'm okay with what we did and I'm able to talk about it.

Apparently, unlike some who are very defensive...

Last edited:
Amen, if we lose an assistant, then we should definitely bring in a Cade Cunningham type kid by hiring his brother. Danny Manning's dad wasn't an assistant at Kansas because he was a good truck driver.

Tyger Campbell was the kid from DePaul. .
I guess you don't remember the posts about DePaul hiring a coach from some PGs school and then taking his high school friend (the kid with goggles) on as a 4 year walk-on to get the kid. Believe he was a 5* PG... He committed but never got to campus.... People do mention what other schools do (actually in this case VERY similar to us) and criticize it.

But again, I'll direct you to my response to Piratz...

We got Angel through Antigua and we got IW & Desi through Morton and his kid. If KW wants to go out and get another 5* and diamond in the rough 3* and a top 50 4* center by hiring 2 coaches - go ahead KW!

It's okay. We did it. It's okay to say what we did. It was and is legal. I'm okay with what we did and I'm able to talk about it.

Apparently, unlike some who are very defensive...

Reactions: shupat08
People are going to get triggered, but you realize that the biggest reason is gets mentioned all these years later is because of WHO those assistants were, not that we hired connected HS/AAU guys who brought players in the door (which is legal and happens).

If we hired Andy Borman and another guy like that, no one would care. It wouldn't have received that much attention and no one would be talking about it all these years later.

We shouldn't have to do that at this point though. And if we did, I would absolutely not hire characters of the same ilk because we dodged a major bullet that programs like the Hall cannot afford because we aren't a blue blood who just skates around this stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT