ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John's hires Rohrssen

According to Y Sima- I have committed to the University of Sant John's. Mullin is so good, he has already changed the name of the school, Sant John's. WOW

Originally posted by Flnj86:
Did Kaminsky play vs Ru? Yeah That Kaminisky who won numerous player of the year awards.
Flnj is the ultimate troll. Hes like Colbert and we're the few republicans that actually believe hes serious.

Did Kaminsky play vs Ru? Yeah That Kaminisky who won numerous player of the year awards.
So just one guy's absence - even a very good one - was the difference?

Okay.

Jackson, Wisc All B1G guard, broke his foot at the start of the 2nd half so he was gone also. BTW he played a some in the Final Four but was clearly not any where near 100%. That being said, I saw that game and RU played a good 2nd half and pulled off the win. It was their last win of the season.

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

Mullin,Slice and SJU are in scramble mode. Slice is using his connections to recruit foreign players, Italian guard who is 6 ft 150 lbs, Greek center, and a center from Elevate Academy in Fl who my friend's son tells me is not very good - he lives in Fl and has watched many players. If they commit to SJU, the local media and some bloggers will build them up like they are NBA prospects. Hype,Hype and more hype. Let's wait and see how many games SJU wins on the court next year.

I agree with this. Mullin is getting lots of media attention for being aggressive on the recruiting trail, but let him land a few big-time recruits before crowning him King of Local Recruiting.

Judging from the St. John's roster from this past season, the Lavin was doing just fine in that aspect of the game. He also took the St. John's job after leading UCLA to six NCAA bids in seven years, including one Elite Eight and four Sweet Sixteens. He then led St. John's to two NCAA bids and two NIT bids in four full seasons (his other season consisted of just four games due to cancer treatment). Not a bad 11 years for a guy some people claim cannot coach. Yet there are people who are already sold on the notion that Mullin is an upgrade on Lavin. I'm not saying a less-experienced head coach can't be better than a more-experienced one, but everyone needs to remember that Mullin has zero games under his belt while Lavin had 359 (226-133). So it will likely take a while for Mullin to prove adept at the bench-coaching part of the job, He also has to prove he can handle the other various aspects of running a college program. It's not a slam dunk hire, despite what many of Mullins old fans want us to believe. It will take a few years before Mullin the coach will be deemed a success or a failure.
So when Chieck Diallo commits, then we can tell Flnj86 to get real?

Every Hall fan I know would take Mullin, Slice and Abdelmassih every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Mullin has never coached before, we get it. Willard has been coaching for 8 years...and all he's proven to be good at (other than from all accounts being a nice guy) was negotiating an absurd buyout.

This post was edited on 4/13 10:00 PM by dcPirate

Lavin forgot more about coaching than Mullin and the rest of his staff. How was Rohrssen as a Head coach at Manhattan? Who is the other SJU assistant , what was he a manager at SJU. Let's wait and see how Seton Hall does on the court next year.

This post was edited on 4/13 10:17 PM by Flnj86

Lavin forgot more about coaching than Mullin and the rest of his staff. How was Rohrssen as a Head coach at Manhattan? Who is the other SJU assistant , what was he a manager at SJU. Let's wait and see how Seton Hall does on the court next year.

This post was edited on 4/13 10:17 PM by Flnj86
You hit the nail on the head there imo... Some guys are just cut out to be great ASSISTANT coaches. Pitino called Willard the best X/O's assistant he has ever had. He should go back to being a top assistant as maybe that is just where he excels. No shame in that whatsoever.

This thread is/was about the moves STJ is making not Seton Hall. If you don't think Rohrssen and Abdelmassih are great recruiting hires then there really is no use arguing with you as you have your Seton Hall blue blinders on. If The Hall hired those 2 guys we'd be ecstatic with the hopes of having so much talent it could easily overcome the coaching.

Have to agree. Mullin has possibly the best staff in the league and that happened overnight because SJU committed entirely to being successful.

You can't ask for more that that.

Plus anyone who is hoping that Mullin fails as a coach know this. He is as competitive a person as you will ever find. Had zero (or less than that if possible) physical ability, yet he still was a great (not good) BB player. That inner drive combined with his vast experience in the game after his playing days were over makes him a great candidate to be what SJU and this new league needs.

my favorite stories of Mullin are that as a college player he would buy a 6 pack of beer, go to the gym and practice his shooting for a couple of hours while downing beers. Eventually led to him be an alcoholic, but I just think that is classic.

I started following College Basketball back in the Mullin years at St. John's. I actually considered going there, but didn't like the idea of going to college in Queens. Hard to root against him.

Mullin has done nothing from a coaching stand point yet, let's not make him a coaching legend before he proves himself on the court with wins. I believe that praise is earned not just given based on your name.

I don't think anybody has made him out to be a coaching legend, I know I haven't. We have no idea what kind of coach he can/will be obviously. What he has done thus far is hire a tremendous staff (uh - the topic of this thread...) and is putting himself in the best possible position to succeed. I would think his 3rd assistant will be more of a tactician-X/O's type guy.

Obviously the media is also fawning over him and from truly a basketball/recognition standpoint he has earned it. The STJ name is back in the mainstream media which can only help him attract players/talent to once again give him the best chance at success. Obviously he is going to have to coach these kids, motivate them, manage game situations, etc. but if they can get the horses in there, I like his chances.

It's very clear that St. John's thought a lot about this process and what they wanted to do long before the season was over IMO. Hope our folks are doing the same thing in case the trend continues.

John Calapari, Fred Hoiberg are established and experienced Head coaches. Completely different situation at SJU, Mullin is the complete opposite of these two coaches.

John Calapari, Fred Hoiberg are established and experienced Head coaches. Completely different situation at SJU, Mullin is the complete opposite of these two coaches.
Hoiberg had no coaching experience when he started at Iowa State. Mullin's situation is nearly identical to Hoiberg. Both had no coaching experience before they were hired, both were NBA executives, and both were hired by their alma maters.

I believe that praise is earned not just given based on your name.
No you dont. You dont believe praise is earned OR given baised on your resume. You praise Kevin Willard. Hes earned nothing, he has no resume, hes doo doo baby.

stop being such an incessant troll

You know nothing about me, so how can you call me a troll. Your a joke. LOL

Pirate6711. Fred Hoiberg had a similar background when he first started out in coaching, but over the years he proved he can coach at the college level. For every Fred Hoiberg there are many more with this background ( even the Coaches who coached on the NBA level) that were busts when trying to coach at the college level. He has proved himself while Mullin has not proved anything yet.

Pirate6711. Fred Hoiberg had a similar background when he first started out in coaching, but over the years he proved he can coach at the college level. For every Fred Hoiberg there are many more with this background ( even the Coaches who coached on the NBA level) that were busts when trying to coach at the college level. He has proved himself while Mullin has not proved anything yet.
You are completely missing the point, as usual. How many guys with a similar background are fortunate enough to land in a "perfect spot" with a school/administration that is willing to give them whatever they need to be successful when bringing back a favorite son. STJ is stepping up, he has brought in 2 of the top recruiters out there, especially with NYC area ties. He may very well fall flat on his face as a coach, we shall see. My money is that he will be more than capable of getting STJ to a consistent top 3-4 team in the Big East which as a BE conference fan is needed.

Had Mullin taken a job at a school that isn't willing to pony up $ for top assistants or treat their flagship program LIKE a flagship program I would have more concerns about his success. The guy has been successful at everything he has done in his life, my gut says this will be no exception.

I have to laugh regarding those who are working so hard to convince themselves that SJU has not made some major moves to re-claim the glory they had in the past. If people do not think that SJU has not declared war on all others in the tri state area regarding recruitment, winning, and exposure, you are really not looking at the entire picture. SJU had forgotten how to get the local guys to stay home. A kid like Whitehead would have been at SJU years ago. That was a huge loss to them and one the people in Jamaica have not forgotten.

The new staff at SJU is a dynamic one and even better a very competitive and likable staff. Trust me they have a group that after meeting them anyone would be impressed. Now this does not say SHU and RU cannot get it done. It just means you have to work harder and really get additional media support while getting the most out of your players. SJU will again have 16,000 at MSG and SHU and RU need large crowds as well. SJU is on a mission to become the NY and NJ varsity leaving all others as the JV!

Bottom line; not even thinking down the road: Who will have the better record this year...SJU or SHU? Even with the turnover and graduation, I would have a hard time betting against SJU.

For every Fred Hoiberg there are many more with this background ( even the Coaches who coached on the NBA level) that were busts when trying to coach at the college level.
Sounds like Kevin Willard, no?

Originally posted by LFBall:
I have to laugh regarding those who are working so hard to convince themselves that SJU has not made some major moves to re-claim the glory they had in the past. If people do not think that SJU has not declared war on all others in the tri state area regarding recruitment, winning, and exposure, you are really not looking at the entire picture. SJU had forgotten how to get the local guys to stay home. A kid like Whitehead would have been at SJU years ago. That was a huge loss to them and one the people in Jamaica have not forgotten.

The new staff at SJU is a dynamic one and even better a very competitive and likable staff. Trust me they have a group that after meeting them anyone would be impressed. Now this does not say SHU and RU cannot get it done. It just means you have to work harder and really get additional media support while getting the most out of your players. SJU will again have 16,000 at MSG and SHU and RU need large crowds as well. SJU is on a mission to become the NY and NJ varsity leaving all others as the JV!
I think one person is not blown away by what SJU has done. Most of us are impressed and envious as hell.

Originally posted by PirateSal:

While out at the Final Four we visited Butler University, and Hinkle Field House. They just finished a $60 million refurbish and the place is spectacular!! The surrounding town encompasses the school and there are terrific little restaurants and bars and the people could not be any friendlier. So Orange needs to get Politicians in there to do the same and allow SHU to Purchase Buildings leading to and around the Downtown area so that this will benefit both the school and the businesses. There is that park between downtown and the school that is wasted space. anytime I drive by there I never see anyone in it. a 10,000 seat arena could be built with enough parking there. These are the type of things that SHU needs to do to make themselves relevant in the BE or they might as well just go to the MAAC and play in Walsh gym.
Did you just suggest building a 10,000 seat arena for Seton Hall where Grove Park sits right now? If so, I'm sorry, but that may literally (and that's using the actually definition) be one of the most foolish things I've ever read.

Chris Mullin's dream first week gets better with two key additions
mullin-recruit.jpg
New St. John's coach Chris Mullin added recruit Yankuba Sima and assistant Barry "Slice" Rohrssen on Monday. Photo: Anthony J. Causi

Chris Mullin couldn't have scripted a better first five days as St. John's coach, or a better first Monday on the job.

Less than a week into his tenure, he has already secured three player commitments and filled two of three spots on his coaching staff, both high-level recruiters with significant northeast ties to carry out his vision of keeping the best local players home.

On Monday, Mullin landed 6-foot-11 center Yankuba Sima, a three-star recruit who was being recruited by Maryland, Arizona, Louisville and Baylor, and later in the day, St. John's announced the addition of Mullin's good friend and ace recruiter Barry "Slice" Rohrssen to his staff as the Red Storm's associate head coach. Rohrssen, who spent five years as the Manhattan College head coach and left Kentucky to come home, joins Matt Abdelmassih, who was also announced on Monday, but was known to be in the fold as early as last Tuesday. Rohrssen and Mullin both attended Xaverian High School in Brooklyn.

"This opportunity is a blessing," Rohrssen, who is believed to have received a six-year deal that mirrors Mullin's, said in a statement. "It is with both pride and pleasure to be back home in the great city of New York."

As soon as Mullin and Abdelmassih came aboard, they made Sima a priority, seeing promise in the big man who came to America from Spain in September, splitting the year at Arlington Country Day School and Elev8 Sports Institute in Florida. A source said Sima's academics are "fine." Sima, who took an unofficial visit to St. John's on Thursday, said he ultimately picked St. John's because of the opportunity to play right away and the confidence Mullin and Abdelmassih had in him after watching film and seeing him work out.

"They showed that they appreciate me," he said in a phone interview. "I'm sure I will improve and get better there. I will have a chance to show how I can play."

Sima is known for his shot-blocking and rebounding ability, but he also has soft hands and has improved on the offensive end in his one year in the United States.

"He has great upside," one Division I coach familiar with Sima said.

The days of St. John's being undersized look to be the in the past. In the last five days, the new staff has landed three forwards 6-foot-8 or taller in JUCO transfer Darien Williams, a one-time Iowa State signee, 6-10 Tennessee transfer Tariq Owens and now Sima.

Maybe this is the fire that Willard needs. The team, too. I agree with Dan, if Sterling Gibbs comes back, the team could be a good one next year. It was only short rebounding this year and some ball control lapses. Mullin is in it to win it. My impression with Lavin was he took the job to give his wife more exposure for her NY career, modeling or acting, or whatever it was. I feel OK for this next season, but my optimism for the Pirates' following year isn't as high. It's about time St John's had good basketball. Now it is up to Mullin & Co to deliver. The reality is that headlines eventually die along with the hype.

Originally posted by Raritan_Mike:
Maybe this is the fire that Willard needs. The team, too. I agree with Dan, if Sterling Gibbs comes back, the team could be a good one next year. It was only short rebounding this year and some ball control lapses. Mullin is in it to win it. My impression with Lavin was he took the job to give his wife more exposure for her NY career, modeling or acting, or whatever it was. I feel OK for this next season, but my optimism for the Pirates' following year isn't as high. It's about time St John's had good basketball. Now it is up to Mullin & Co to deliver. The reality is that headlines eventually die along with the hype.
After 5 years, well, I'm hoping for any fire to be found.

Mullin is a serious, tough competitor. He'll find a way. I don't see Willard as the same.

Did you just suggest building a 10,000 seat arena for
Seton Hall where Grove Park sits right now? If so, I'm sorry, but that
may literally (and that's using the actually definition) be one of the
most foolish things I've ever read.

Lloyd, this is the same "expert" who stated last year that Fu had a low basketball IQ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT