ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Lyons publicly endorses Coach Willard

Originally posted by Fordham_57:
There was a segment on News 12 New Jersey last night wherein Pat Lyons came out publicly and endored coach Willard, and stated he expected next year to be a fabulous year for the Pirates.

He stated that many fences had to be mended when Willard came aboard and that he had faced a tremendous challenge to rebuild our fractured program. They mentioned the locker room problems and Sina leaving. Coach Willard was shown in a press conference refusing to address team chemistry and citing the youth and injuries in a tough conference.

Now that we know for sure that Kevin Willard is coming back, can we please have a detente on anymore Kevin Willard bashing, and get back to normalcy on this board. Please. Frank
oh, and also, no.

Originally posted by donnie_baseball:
Originally posted by phi_pirates:

Originally posted by jcalz88:

Originally posted by Rimas:
Jcalz....Show me any statement that is wrong? Where is the X's and O's? The Motivation? The Discipline? The Adjustments? Where? The beginning of the season against cupcakes? Once he is challenged he runs and hides. Refute that please.
I just said the 90% number you threw out is not even close. If I were to make an educated guess its less then 35%.... All that matters is money, if you want change pull your tickets and donations. If you wont, then ya need to stop...
JCalz is right, well at least about it being less than 90%. I know one big, big donor, and one BOR member, and they are both parroting what Hobbs is saying. At least they were when I saw them at the BET.
Donnie - did they give any rationale for their thought process? Not sure I really value a BOR member's opinion too much right now, but i'd be curious what the big donor had to say. Or is it all about the too-huge buyout for everyone?
Nope, neither "argued" with my points, but both said that he's fixed the image of the program, he brought in X and Y, he should be given more time. In both cases, I politely disagreed.
Thanks. Not going to re-hash the same stuff that's been said repeatedly, but I will say that's disapponting to hear.

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
I guess I can understand why Hobbs was picked to be
the public spokesman . He's gone from SH in a couple of months so if there's negative blowback he won't have to respond in any official capacity; he hired Willard so he can defend his being the spokesperson not Lyons ; it allows Lyons to distance himself from the first public statement on Kevin's status ; and it leaves Lyons free to keep his position on keeping or replacing Kevin private.

There is however one serious issue that I see and that is who the right person at SH should be to speak to the issue of Kevin's status and it should not be the retiring law school dean. If it's not going to be the school's president, the chairman of the BOR , the chairman of the BOR's athletic committee then it should be the AD . Look at who is defending the retention of their coaches at Indiana and Oklahoma. State, it's the school's AD not a dean of their school of agriculture. The bigger question in my mind is just what authority Lyons has over the men's basketball program when it comes to issues like the way is being run by the head coach and evaluating the head coach's performance.
That, and somehow, Hobbs actually believes it. From my vantage point behind the bench, when the players came off for the last TV timeout of the 2nd half, clearly defeated in body language and by the scoreboard, Hobbs was the only one out of his seat, clapping, as if some great effort had been put forth.

Donnie
There's a word for that it's called " DENIAL" . For a person with an outstanding track record like Hobbs in his chosen field , I think it's just too hard to accept that he screwed this up so badly.

Originally posted by Flnj86:
Agree All Seton Hall fans now need to get behind the players,team and coaches. Look forward to having a great season next year. Follow Seton Hall recruiting.
First of all, I don't believe you are actually a SHU fan. Your unbridled optimism has a phony ring to it and you seem to enjoy just stirring the pot.

Second, we all know that things are not going to change. If the school is fine with mediocrity, then they should be fine with mediocre revenue from ticket sales and donations. I hope for the best for the players' sake, but I will not contribute one penny to to this dumpster fire. As a student I witnessed a championship game, an elite 8, a sweet sixteen, and running on the floor of MSG after winning the BE Tourney over Gtown. WE SHOULD ALL DEMAND BETTER AS A PROGRAM. To not speak out is to give tacit approval to the pi$$-poor job the administration is doing. The team has talented players yet lost 8 of their last 9 games. And the losses weren't even close in all but 1 game. That is on the coaching. The excuses are over. Patience is over.

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
I guess I can understand why Hobbs was picked to be
the public spokesman . He's gone from SH in a couple of months so if there's negative blowback he won't have to respond in any official capacity; he hired Willard so he can defend his being the spokesperson not Lyons ; it allows Lyons to distance himself from the first public statement on Kevin's status ; and it leaves Lyons free to keep his position on keeping or replacing Kevin private.

There is however one serious issue that I see and that is who the right person at SH should be to speak to the issue of Kevin's status and it should not be the retiring law school dean. If it's not going to be the school's president, the chairman of the BOR , the chairman of the BOR's athletic committee then it should be the AD . Look at who is defending the retention of their coaches at Indiana and Oklahoma. State, it's the school's AD not a dean of their school of agriculture. The bigger question in my mind is just what authority Lyons has over the men's basketball program when it comes to issues like the way is being run by the head coach and evaluating the head coach's performance.
That, and somehow, Hobbs actually believes it. From my vantage point behind the bench, when the players came off for the last TV timeout of the 2nd half, clearly defeated in body language and by the scoreboard, Hobbs was the only one out of his seat, clapping, as if some great effort had been put forth.
That just sounds like furthering his agenda, or trying to cling on to the hopes of what was a horrible decision he made.

What kind of compensation do the BOR get? How do they get voted on, and also please tell me Hobbs is not going to be a part of it after he retires.

incredible that on the day that our rival SJU is ready to have a press conference to introduce their new coach former DREAM TEAMER 5 TIME NBA ALLSTAR AND NAISMITH HALL OF FAMER WE HAVE TO LOOK THEN DISCUSS OUR LEADERS????? HOBBS AND THE REST. I grew up very close to a cousin of PJ and many may know who but I will notgive any names. But spoke to him 2 days after the MULLIN hire and he relayed to me the fact that PJ thinks very highly of MULLIN and within 2 to 3 years could be a perennial top 25 program. All the rest recruiting coaching not worried. All he needs is a staff and believe me will get a great one. ONLY thing I can tell you is someone who always speaks highly of every coach is not all that happy . heard SH blew this bigtime Sat on their hands etc. We are all in the same boat some like Willard some want a change. I can now see nothing will happen this year . WE are being watched by basketball people and do nothing. So with that best of luck to all of you im done writing on here because I know how critical it was to have made a change. ill go back to reading the board but that's it. By the way for those of you that may be to young PJ coached MULLIN for the DREAM TEAM. Good luck to all of you and take care.

piratehall, any insight on whether PJ may wind up on Mullin's staff? I know it would ruffle some feathers here, but it seems to be a nice fit.

BOBBIE SOLO your a great fan and wanted to respond to you. I hope your right but MR. Hurley has been watching this program for years and when he see no change this year wow im not sure. But hopefully your right. Just cant believe we now have to wait another dam season but if we win which is great Willard may be here forever. lol. But take care to you and HAPPY EASTER TO ALL THE SETON HALL FAMILY.

From the reporter's tone , even he questioned the vote of confidence from Hobbs.

I'll put all my time and support behind the women's program next year.

I have no idea why the school wants Pat Hobbs making statements about the basketball program. Nevertheless, his message is exactly what Seton Hall needs to be putting out there if Willard is coming back. True or not, we need the staff to recruit a decent 2016 class so that our next coach (if it comes to that) isn't working with a totally blank slate when he takes the job. If the message is anything other than "Willard is great, it's not his fault we've sucked for the past 5 years," the staff has no chance to land a decent class.

Originally posted by piratehall:

BOBBIE SOLO your a great fan and wanted to respond to you. I hope your right but MR. Hurley has been watching this program for years and when he see no change this year wow im not sure. But hopefully your right. Just cant believe we now have to wait another dam season but if we win which is great Willard may be here forever. lol. But take care to you and HAPPY EASTER TO ALL THE SETON HALL FAMILY.
The only issue is if Danny makes the tourney next year, he will be a hot commodity nationally. Bobby already is, but he needs a bigger job first I think before he goes for a Big East or higher level conference.

Originally posted by Bobbie Solo:

The only issue is if Danny makes the tourney next year, he will be a hot commodity nationally. Bobby already is, but he needs a bigger job first I think before he goes for a Big East or higher level conference.
You may be right, but why is there the perception that Bobby's the hotter commodity? I get that he won an NCAA game and Danny has yet to make it, but Danny has shown more to me over a more extended period of time and I think URI is expected to be a top 25 team next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love have either of them, but if I had to pick one of the two it'd be Danny.

This post was edited on 4/1 1:52 PM by phi_pirates

This post was edited on 4/1 1:53 PM by phi_pirates

You may be right, but why is there the perception that Bobby's the hotter commodity? I get that he won an NCAA game and Danny has yet to make it, but Danny has shown more to me over a more extended period of time and I think URI is expected to be a top 25 team next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love have either of them, but if I had to pick one of the two it'd be Danny.

Bobby's the bigger name and was in the NCAA Tournament. Outside of the good national reporters who really follow the game, most just go with what is spoon-fed to them. During March, what is spoon-fed is the NCAA Tournament and if one of the biggest names in Tournament history is coaching, then he is going to get the attention.

Any AD who is intelligent will have Danny ahead of Bobby. But some get suckered into a couple games and the surrounding hype in a March, which is how Andy Enfield got a ton of guaranteed money at USC.

Sorry Jcalz. Thought you meant the whole statement. This whole thing stinks to high heaven and we have to sit with our thumbs up our butts and be happy about it. Kevin GO AWAY. Thank you for cleaning up the program...many years ago...now git. skeedaddle...vamoose...andele.

This post was edited on 4/1 2:26 PM by Rimas

I think either would be a home run for SHU. They're both perfectly capable of succeeding at any school. SHU's only possible advantage is location. Both are Jersey guys and if SHU can demonstrate their commitment to the program overall and financially, then they have a chance that one of them prefers to be in Jersey rather than take a job at some other D1 school in another part of the country (assuming you have no iconic programs going after them). Right now though, I question the competence of the decision-makers at SHU to handle such a pitch/negotiation.

Hobbs could have thrown the fans a bone by implying - at least somewhat - that the expectation is that we'll be in the NCAAs next season.. We all know recruits and AAU coaches and parents etc, can plainly see that Willard has been here 5 years and is 30-60 with zero tournament appearances. No one could possibly look at the coaching situation at Seton Hall and not wonder how many more years he'll be given.

This is not surprising at all. I don't understand Hobbs unwavering support for Willard. I have heard all the same excuses from people close to him. Clean up the mess, the image of the program and the kids are young and the injuries. I keep thinking to myself, are you people Stepford Wives? Do you people watch the games? It is the same mantra I heard all year and continue to hear.

Hobbs, Lyons and Willard are in bed together. They will give Willard every opportunity. I have always liked Hobbs, but he is dead wrong on this.

A thread gets started about an outgoing law professor supporting the coach two weeks after the season ended on a TV station with about 80 vierwers and we're already on the second page. Does Kevin and the BOR have a clue how bad the heckling and calls for his head during games is going to be???? Forget about the money...it's going to be embarrassing...

JIMSOULS actually that was one of the first thing I asked his cousin and the only thing he told me was that PJ is very happy but at some point would like to get back into coaching. Loves his life but misses the games a lot. He is extrememly high on MULLIN but the cousin said he doubted if he would come back here a second time. Especially after the Nets. But honestly he said PJ is very good at keeping things quiet but like I said doubts he will be on the staff. Does not want to recruit and if it happened would be the to assistant with I guess some recruiting responsibilities. Sorry for the long answer but I would say no. With that said watch we wake up tomorrow and hes on the staff. LOL. Saw the Press conference and their PRESIDENT really wants to win. Lavin wasn't bad at all and yet still mae a change. Have to give them a lot of credit.

i agree with you, im just telling you how it is on the nat'l level. bobby went to duke, won a nat'l championship, and just made the tourney. danny did none of those. Id rather have danny too, but bobby wouldn't be too shabby. he'll get scopped up by the bigger programs before Danny would b/c of the name recognition and Duke pedigree.

piratehall, thanks for responding. Many on this board are of the understanding that PJ left college hoops because of he grew weary of the recruiting grind. It's a tough racket, and has gotten even tougher since PJ left Seton Hall. I haven't watched the NBA in years, but, in a way, coaching there is more noble than coaching in college. At least no one in the NBA is pretending it's not about the money. And no one has to bend rules to get players to play for them. Ah, college basketball. It's a great sport but can be difficult to watch for reasons that have nothing to do with the product on the floor. I feel sorry for some of these coaches, despite the hefty salaries they make.

As for PJ, he'd be a great help to Mullin. But I hope he doesn't do it.

Your very welcome JIMSOULS. Your right about the college game. its brutal especially all the recruiting and constant travel. IM with you. The last thing I need to see is PJ on the SJU bench.

Your very welcome JIMSOULS. Your right about the college game. its brutal especially all the recruiting and constant travel. IM with you. The last thing I need to see is PJ on the SJU bench.
Plus the inordinate amount of time spent attending practice. To the kids who do wind up fulfilling their classroom obligations, I tip my hat. It's amazing that some of these graduate transfers are graduating on time. Their schedules must have been brutal these last four years.

Agreed on PJ. He is fine where he is. If only the Nets hadn't screwed him.

that's true JIMSOULS. it is a tough business but as you mentioned a good salary to say the least. I thought way back when even though there were rumores that PJ would be here for at least 4 to 5 more years maybe more. I know for a fact he loved the way coack K and even Bobby Knight stayed at there schools and year after years were powerhouses. without question and also at the time he wasn't married probably didn't have a gf and basketball was really his life. he did have some trouble landing kids towards the end. to this day I remember he really wanted a pg named avery curry and missed out . also misses out on a lot of others. he did get Donnell WILLIAMS and in his last recruiting class I remember he has JACK KABA LAVELL SANDERS WHO DIDNT PLAY HIS SR. YEAR. TO OLD BUT PLAYED AAU JERWANN TUCK A PG WHO LEFT TO PLAY D3 FOOTBALL AND PF ROGER INGRHAM. NOT A BAD CLASS YET NOT AS GOOD AS WE WERE USED TO. But I guess the lure of the NBA was to much. ILL say this. I always thought that the NBA wouldn't last for him and he would be back in college one day. Really shocked that it never happened. his family was here all of them and he did love the area. but it never happened. met a girl in I think SAN FRAN WAS an ASST. with THE SPURS ENDING WITH THE NETS.

What a dumpster fire. Shu basketball might officially be dead forever. A level of incompetence that is reaching new heights

You know what is really said is that I don't think it matters what Willard's record is next season either. I think the administration is so burdened by this ridiculous extension that they won't fire him. They want you to pretend that Seton Hall is big time basketball. You know keep a coach that has gotten worse in his last 3 years. Makes sense. Only at Seton Hall.

piratehall, Had PJ stayed in college basketball, he might have become a Hall of Fame coach. That is, if he could have gotten past his dislike for recruiting. Who knows, maybe his career at Seton Hall would have gone backwards. It was a tough league to stay near the top of, especially for a coach that didn't like to recruit. An interesting question to ponder.

Originally posted by cernjSHU:
This is not surprising at all. I don't understand Hobbs unwavering support for Willard. I have heard all the same excuses from people close to him. Clean up the mess, the image of the program and the kids are young and the injuries. I keep thinking to myself, are you people Stepford Wives? Do you people watch the games? It is the same mantra I heard all year and continue to hear.

Hobbs, Lyons and Willard are in bed together. They will give Willard every opportunity. I have always liked Hobbs, but he is dead wrong on this.
Hobbs supports Willard because he hired him practically sight unseen based upon a recommendation from Pitino. Willard is Hobb's baby. If Willard fails, he looks bad.

JIMSOULSits entirely possible. he was on his way. but I guess things change. often mention that aside from a Hurley I would love AMAKER to come back. Before he took the SH job PJ talked by phone to Tommy for almost 2 hours telling him about the school and did a great selling job. He knew somehow that AMAKER would be the right fit. AND he was for a while. Love to see him back. WE would be relevant immediately but still certainly have to win.

As I learned of Dean Hobbs comments on Kevin and his returning for next year I thought of that adage that suggests that the first step in resolving a problem is acknowledging that you have a problem and despite all the imperical evidence and the horrible performance of this team the last three years I'm not sure the key players at SH believe that there really is a problem . If that is in fact their mindset , and if Hobbs comments reflect SH's thinking it may be, then it becomes incredibly difficult to envision a bright future for this program.

Hobbs' s comments are nauseating and absurd. There's so much I love about Seton Hall, but over the years there have always been the occasional epically bad decisions. I don't fault them for hiring Willard. He appeared to be an on-the-rise coach. But he's proven to be a failure. So as smart a law school dean as Hobbs is, he now sits there in utterly foolish denial about a hiring decision he made. Kevin Willard is not alone in his failure to admit mistakes; Hobbs is right there with him.

Meanwhile, where's Lyons? He lets Hobbs do the talking? A lot of you praise him....I've yet to see him earn that praise.

Dopey ass Hobbs is actually doing a disservice to Willard. Comments like this make fans even more upset at the Clapper. It's going to be ugly next year.

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

piratehall, Had PJ stayed in college basketball, he might have become a Hall of Fame coach. That is, if he could have gotten past his dislike for recruiting. Who knows, maybe his career at Seton Hall would have gone backwards. It was a tough league to stay near the top of, especially for a coach that didn't like to recruit. An interesting question to ponder.
I always wondered if he had gotten Rhodes or Lopez if he would have stayed. Oh well. I think his demeanor had turned off the kids.

SHU has officially thrown in the towel and the program is as low as its been in a long, long time. Lower even than after the nut punch game IMO. SH's endorsement of this joke of a coach is unfathomable. Programs around the country retooling with coaches far more successful than KW yet we bring this clown back. We should just move to the A10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT