ADVERTISEMENT

Reason to Worry

We will land 3-4 very good and highly rated players in 2018, mark my works..........

I also think we will get Sandro.

I'm all for bringing on Mike Rice. Can Willard and Rice coexist?

Getting involved and having good recruits mention you is great and all, but you have to start landing some. Powell was a nice get and Cale looks good, but that is not nearly enough to stay relevant in the BE.

I'd rather have a younger African American asistant who has connections to the Tri-State AAU and HS world to be honest.

Not trying to start a pissing contest.

But how many people on here were saying "Duval to the hall" and "mark my words". Just a few days ago?

Back to wait and see.

I can't speak for random posters who have no connections to what's going on in recruiting.

I can speak from my conversations with HS coaches, AAU coaches, and people in the know.......

Reactions: shupat08
There was never any question whether he was in Durham, you can't use a "Durham" filter on a picture unless you are near, in or around the Durham area. That's how snapchat works. Sounds like a lot of hard work is about to go down the drain for us. I've seen more than enough of this recruitment. All this buildup and nonsense, just to commit to Duke? Where they'll be a 2 seed, lose in the second or third round of the tournament, and he'll be forgotten by their fans in a few years. Just another McDonald's recruit at Duke. I wouldn't understand it, personally. But as many have said, trying to understand the motivations of an 18 year old kid is truly a lesson in futility. Also, "wishing the kid well" doesn't mean a thing to him or to any fan of the teams that don't get him. Move on with the kids that want to be here, and advance further than them in the tournament next year.

I'm usually just a reader of this board but I have to chime in on this one...

He has to be there to do a commitment promotion with Blue Devil gear on, right?...Why else would he 1. Put up a Snapchat story telling the world he is in Durham, then take it down shortly after he realizes people know where he is and 2. Completely deny that he is even there and make a top reporter look foolish in the process?

I'm not being pessimistic, but it's seems clear to me what Trevon was trying to do. Or maybe I'm delusional. We'll know soon (hopefully).
Bingo!

Reactions: Piratefan2009
There was never any question whether he was in Durham, you can't use a "Durham" filter on a picture unless you are near, in or around the Durham area. That's how snapchat works. Sounds like a lot of hard work is about to go down the drain for us. I've seen more than enough of this recruitment. All this buildup and nonsense, just to commit to Duke? Where they'll be a 2 seed, lose in the second or third round of the tournament, and he'll be forgotten by their fans in a few years. Just another McDonald's recruit at Duke. I wouldn't understand it, personally. But as many have said, trying to understand the motivations of an 18 year old kid is truly a lesson in futility. Also, "wishing the kid well" doesn't mean a thing to him or to any fan of the teams that don't get him. Move on with the kids that want to be here, and advance further than them in the tournament next year.

I just don't understand posters and their attitudes. You don't have to get why the kid made the decision, it was his decision and that's all that is important. Just like nobody questions why I chose to goto Seton Hall. It's easy for an adult to look from the outside and say, "Seton Hall is a much better situation when you look at everything". Adults look at things differently then 18 year kids. Looking back at life, I would of made different choices if I knew then what I know now. Maybe the kid wants to play in the spot light of a big time program? Maybe he wants to play with other NBA players? End of the day, it's Trevon's life and his choice to figure out where he will spend 1 year of college at.

The adult in me says -

If you have 80 mins between the 2 guard positions and you have Allen, Jackson, Duval, Trent and another top 100 guard coming in - well those 80 mins, shots, and time with the ball in your hands doesn't divide to evenly. Also, Coach K has never played more then 8 guys and it is usually more like 7. If Duval goes to Duke, there will be unhappy people with mins, shots, and time with the ball in the hands. Maybe this is why Duke loses in the 2nd round most years? Who knows.

Reactions: Pirate6711
No knowledge of how snap chat works, but sounds like he was indeed down there. Writing's on the wall now I guess. Oh well, it was fun being involved, let's just hope it didn't compromise our chances with other targets.

If this is true, I guess Allen's decision was a factor. I thought him returning might have actually helped our chances, but doesn't appear to be the case.

That's fine Artie, and I'll buy that. He WILL play with other NBA players, under a huge spotlight, and for Coach K. Objectively, there wasn't a bad choice between us or Duke. But no one is gonna sit here and say the kid didn't turn his commitment into a sideshow. It's 2017, kids are obsessed with attention and he bathed in it. And then lied to protect his commitment announcement that has "never been done before," making a lot of people look foolish in the process. Good riddance

Even if Duke is has a crowded backcourt I honestly don't think that will deter Duval because all that means is those other players are losing minutes to Duval. He is that good. Duval would be the starting pg and play 30 minutes a game at any school he goes to. He is in the 1% of the 1%.

That's fine Artie, and I'll buy that. He WILL play with other NBA players, under a huge spotlight, and for Coach K. Objectively, there wasn't a bad choice between us or Duke. But no one is gonna sit here and say the kid didn't turn his commitment into a sideshow. It's 2017, kids are obsessed with attention and he bathed in it. And then lied to protect his commitment announcement that has "never been done before," making a lot of people look foolish in the process. Good riddance

The kid barely talked to the media through out the process......

Even if Duke is has a crowded backcourt I honestly don't think that will deter Duval because all that means is those other players are losing minutes to Duval. He is that good. Duval would be the starting pg and play 30 minutes a game at any school he goes to. He is in the 1% of the 1%.

Trent, Jackson were both 5 stars coming out of HS too. Allen was an All American for God sakes.

I'm all for bringing on Mike Rice. Can Willard and Rice coexist?

Getting involved and having good recruits mention you is great and all, but you have to start landing some. Powell was a nice get and Cale looks good, but that is not nearly enough to stay relevant in the BE.
Bingo, this is exactly how I feel.

Of course he barely talked to the media. Again it's 2017, most people aren't comfortable speaking to other people in person, and I'm sure he's no different. It was all done on social media, that's how kids attract the attention they want. Sometimes they even do it without wanting to, like, you know, showing tons of people you're in Durham, when you don't want them to know you're in Durham. He's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, if I had to guess.

Trent, Jackson were both 5 stars coming out of HS too. Allen was an All American for God sakes.
I get that but all 5 stars are not created equal. IMO Trevon is on a different level and the best pure pg on that team. When you go to a school like Duke even if you are a top 10-15 recruit there is no guarantee you are going to be the 1st, 2nd or maybe even 3rd best player on your team.

I get that but all 5 stars are not created equal. IMO Trevon is on a different level and the best pure pg on that team. When you go to a school like Duke even if you are a top 10-15 recruit there is no guarantee you are going to be the 1st, 2nd or maybe even 3rd best player on your team.

I must of missed when he dominated the Mickey D's AA game and looked like a top 5 pick.....

All this buildup and nonsense, just to commit to Duke? Where they'll be a 2 seed, lose in the second or third round of the tournament, and he'll be forgotten by their fans in a few years. Just another McDonald's recruit at Duke. I wouldn't understand it, personally. But as many have said, trying to understand the motivations of an 18 year old kid is truly a lesson in futility.
In fairness, most of the "build-up and nonsense" has not been anything he has done, but by message boards like this... Sure, he has had some fun with the April Fools tweet, etc, and I guess SC yesterday but whats the big deal?

How you could downplay a kid going to Duke is beyond me. Would I love to have the kid at The Hall, of course. The current roster lines up as perfectly as it ever will for a 1 and done to come in and fill the only glaring hole/need.

I hate Duke as much as anyone, believe me, but they play in a ridiculous environment every game they play in, as well as he'd play in a Duke-UNC game at least twice. I really hope he shocks everyone and chooses The Hall, but if he doesn't, it's not like he's going somewhere to waste away... Duke will once again most likely be pre-season top 3. If the kid truly is a legit 1 and done, do you really think he will worry years from now about being "forgotten" with all the other greats at Duke while he's cashing NBA checks? PLEASE...

That being said, I've been a Hall fan for WAY too long to have ever thought this was remotely a 50-50 deal. I have had zero expectations he will choose The Hall. I would love to be shocked, but The Hall has been down this road too many times to remember.

This shouldn't come as a big surprise. While I don't know the details of the recruiting, I always figured we were a long shot. The Blue Blood schools will always be a sexier choice. He could have been a legend at SHU, but that doesn't seem to concern him. It appears he's looking solely at his NBA career, not his collegiate legacy - which I totally get.

I really wanted to root for him, but I can't in good conscience root for anyone wearing a Duke uniform.

The adult in me says -

If you have 80 mins between the 2 guard positions and you have Allen, Jackson, Duval, Trent and another top 100 guard coming in - well those 80 mins, shots, and time with the ball in your hands doesn't divide to evenly.

What about the 3 spot, making it 120 minutes?

Using that logic, at Seton Hall you'd have Duval, Carrington, Powell, and Cale all jockeying for 80 minutes.

At least Duval removed the suspense from his announcement. Writing is on the wall that he is Duke bound. Now Willard can focus on the next best option and lock him in.

having a stacked roster hasn't deterred elite kids from committing to Duke. Majority of their roster is 5 star recruits. Next year they will have three 5-star centers on the roster and Mohamed Bamba is still considering them! They have unreal depth.

Look at 5 stars on last year's roster....
F Jayson Tatum
F Harry Giles
C Chase Jeter
C Marques Bolden
G Luke Kennard
G Frank Jackson

Of that group they are only losing Kennard, Tatum and Giles (I believe) and they are adding Gary Trent and Wendell Carter and *potentially* Duval. Assuming Grayson Allen starts that means Duke will have at a minimum two 5 recruits coming off the bench.

What about the 3 spot, making it 120 minutes?

Using that logic, at Seton Hall you'd have Duval, Carrington, Powell, and Cale all jockeying for 80 minutes.

I love all of those guys tremendously, but I don't think it's very logical to compare Duke's backcourt situation to ours. Duval is the undisputed #1 at SHU and will get the lion share of minutes put at his feet first and foremost. That simply is not going to happen at Duke. Evidently he is ok with that.

I watched Duke play probably 7-8 times this year and the fact Jackson was even talking about the NBA was mind boggling to me. I was not impressed with him, especially as Duke PGs go.

having a stacked roster hasn't deterred elite kids from committing to Duke. Majority of their roster is 5 star recruits. Next year they will have three 5-star centers on the roster and Mohamed Bamba is still considering them! They have unreal depth.

Look at 5 stars on last year's roster....
F Jayson Tatum
F Harry Giles
C Chase Jeter
C Marques Bolden
G Luke Kennard
G Frank Jackson

Of that group they are only losing Kennard, Tatum and Giles (I believe) and they are adding Gary Trent and Wendell Carter and *potentially* Duval. Assuming Grayson Allen starts that means Duke will have at a minimum two 5 recruits coming off the bench.

And Duke is in the mix for Kevin Knox. It is a ridiculous and embarrassment of riches at Duke. Year after year they get all these top kids. I was hoping that Duval would be one who wanted to blaze his own trail.

I watched Duke play probably 7-8 times this year and the fact Jackson was even talking about the NBA was mind boggling to me. I was not impressed with him, especially as Duke PGs go.

Look, the ship has sailed.

Lets get us a very good long term PG option (Walker), backed by some "insurance" with an experienced short term assist (Grad, or Juco), make the NCAA's.....play Duke....and have Powell hit the shot to knock them out!

Not a bad scenario....

Look, the ship has sailed.

Lets get us a very good long term PG option (Walker), backed by some "insurance" with an experienced short term assist (Grad, or Juco), make the NCAA's.....play Duke....and have Powell hit the shot to knock them out!

Not a bad scenario....

Let's hope that Walker still wants to come here.

I have said this until I am blue in the face, it's not a matter of Walker wanting to come......

Then I find it troubling that the staff thinks that other options are better than Walker for next year. Whatever the case, this would be a colossal failure not to get a great PG for next year's class.

Then I find it troubling that the staff thinks that other options are better than Walker for next year. Whatever the case, this would be a colossal failure not to get a great PG for next year's class.

Listen I feel like Walker will be very good but I watched him play twice with a guy who played high major basketball and knows basketball about as well as anyone I know(Not SPK lol). He thought Walker was an A10 level player and it would take him a while to be a Big East caliber starter.

Reactions: Joe_T
Listen I feel like Walker will be very good but I watched him play twice with a guy who played high major basketball and knows basketball about as well as anyone I know(Not SPK lol). He thought Walker was an A10 level player and it would take him a while to be a Big East caliber starter.

And who is a better option at this point?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT