ADVERTISEMENT

Reason to Worry

Listen I feel like Walker will be very good but I watched him play twice with a guy who played high major basketball and knows basketball about as well as anyone I know(Not SPK lol). He thought Walker was an A10 level player and it would take him a while to be a Big East caliber starter.

You need another Gonzo talk, LOL.

Do I need to tell the story about bringing you into Walsh and watching you get dunked on by Dre Barrett????

Reactions: BabyBlue
Social media has added a new wrinkle to recruiting that I just don't find worth looking into. I hope Duval chooses SHU, but trying to crack the code on some snapchat photo is just insane.

Listen I feel like Walker will be very good but I watched him play twice with a guy who played high major basketball and knows basketball about as well as anyone I know(Not SPK lol). He thought Walker was an A10 level player and it would take him a while to be a Big East caliber starter.

Maybe I rely on ranking more than I should, but even Rivals has him in the top 100 right now.

Done.

Sorry guys and gals, this one's over, not coming to SHU.

I admit to holding out some hope. Some hope. But I'm not surprised by this. I just hope some dominos begin to fall and we can start moving forward.

I do wonder who and how many recruits we are involved with simply because we had a shot at Duval??

All those kids go to Duke despite their playing time potentially dropping b/c they're gonna be draft picks anyway and they get paid more at Duke than they would at SHU. Simple.

Giles is a great example of this.

Not trying to start a pissing contest.

But how many people on here were saying "Duval to the hall" and "mark my words". Just a few days ago?

Back to wait and see.

That's all hype train and I don't mind it when we are waiting for commits around the actual signing time. I'm more concerned about the amount of times I've heard:

"We are in with 4-5 top kids in 20XX year coming up but just out of reach to get any verbals right now"

I've only been on the board since 2009 and it gets said every year about the class just after this one. Then we fast forward one year and all of a sudden recruiting is so much harder than people expect and you can't get them all, which is why we no longer have any top targets for key positions and will need to hope a back up from another program who transferred turns out to be a beast at SHU.

But don't worry because we are in super tight with kids from 2018 and 2019.

Exactly. We are t
That's all hype train and I don't mind it when we are waiting for commits around the actual signing time. I'm more concerned about the amount of times I've hear
d:

"We are in with 4-5 top kids in 20XX year coming up but just out of reach to get any verbals right now"

I've only been on the board since 2009 and it gets said every year about the class just after this one. Then we fast forward one year and all of a sudden recruiting is so much harder than people expect and you can't get them all, which is why we no longer have any top targets for key positions and will need to hope a back up from another program who transferred turns out to be a beast at SHU.

When they are jrs we are tight, and then looser and looser. We were told a few yrs ago next year's recruiting was done, but when next yr caje, no longer the case.

Things have gotten way better, ie powell and cale. But I remain sceptical

Last edited:
We're going to have to win, win constantly, and win on the big stage often before players like Duval ever come here with any semblance of regularity. You're seeing that no matter how hard the coaches work, no matter how many fans show up in high school gyms, etc these guys are nearly always going to go the predictable route and head to one of these storied, elite programs.

It's a fact of life; this is not a recruiting malfunction on our part but rather an opportunity to understand how important it is to overachieve on the court. Keep making the tourney, and start going deeper in it....it's the only way these kids will ever come.

This really makes me appreciate our guys for coming here. Granted, it's easy to say there were other factors at play, but at the end of the day they chose us when they didn't have to. Very grateful to Angel, Zeke, and the rest of our guys. Zeke still represents us every chance he can get; not because it's to his benefit but because he cares about our coach, our players (and his friends), our program, and the fanbase. Angel bleeds blue and wants nothing more than to get this team over the hump. These are special kids we have and had, and I'll take them over the "business minded" recruits any day.

We're going to have to win, win constantly, and win on the big stage often before players like Duval ever come here with any semblance of regularity. You're seeing that no matter how hard the coaches work, no matter how many fans show up in high school gyms, etc these guys are nearly always going to go the predictable route and head to one of these storied, elite programs.

It's a fact of life; this is not a recruiting malfunction on our part but rather an opportunity to understand how important it is to overachieve on the court. Keep making the tourney, and start going deeper in it....it's the only way these kids will ever come.

This really makes me appreciate our guys for coming here. Granted, it's easy to say there were other factors at play, but at the end of the day they chose us when they didn't have to. Very grateful to Angel, Zeke, and the rest of our guys. Zeke still represents us every chance he can get; not because it's to his benefit but because he cares about our coach, our players (and his friends), our program, and the fanbase. Angel bleeds blue and wants nothing more than to get this team over the hump. These are special kids we have and had, and I'll take them over the "business minded" recruits any day.

Agreed for the most part, though bottom line some coaches are better than others about convincing top talent to come their way without the years of winning at the program. I don't think it's a particular talent of our coach.

Unfortunately one good recruit like Cale per year, does not a program make. If you can't get the Duvals you have to look for the workhorses who are more likely to commit and get the 100-200 guys who can be coached up. Still yet to be seen but this recruiting class isn't a success if we can't get a real PG since we've failed in the previous years to find a long term solution.

I think our staff has more real info about what's going on than we do. As far as I can tell, we're only going off of his social media. I can predict one thing with 100% certainty: Duval is loving the entire college b-ball world hanging on his every post and movement and he wants this to be a Decision-type event when he does announce. It's also generally assumed on every recruiting site that he's going to Duke. Has been for weeks.

That's all hype train and I don't mind it when we are waiting for commits around the actual signing time. I'm more concerned about the amount of times I've heard:

Very well stated. There are some who continue to say that next year is going to be our recruiting bonanza. We constantly hear that we are tight with tons of recruits for next year's class. I am sorry that I am still very very skeptical of the ability of our head coach to consistently recruit top players. There seems to be a systematic or fundamental lack of ability to reel in top players.

Reactions: Pirate 81
Unfortunately when SPK says "DONE" =s FINITO:(:mad::eek:

Then the staff knows....in which case, we should be moving QUICKLY to get a commitment....I would hope they had a "ready to act" Plan B....if so, get over the disappointment, dont let "buyers remorse" or "paralysis by analysys" cause undue delays....and get a positive splash out there now

Yes - Unfortunately, I believe SPK has 100% accuracy when saying a recruit is not coming here. What really sucks is i told myself many months ago there was no way he was coming here. And then i get sucked in via the message board. While it is always great to get involved with these types of players, we will never win these battles against the top programs. What really sucks is I don't think we should be recruiting one and done type players, but he would have been the perfect one and done with this team. At this point, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop which is Delgado leaving. We will then have gone from Top 10 team on Monday to no tournament team by end of April.

I've said this before and I'll say it again and that is the elite players like Duval, Anderson, et al are not coming to SH unless there are a highly unique set of circumstances like hiring his HS or AAU coach or a member of his family or his girlfriend is on scholarship in one of our athletic programs. There is no doubt that other talented players have commited elsewhere because of the possibility of Duval committing here and we're now scrambling to find a PG because of it. It's time to rethink our recruiting philosophy of pursuing the super elite talent and concentrate on building a team of players not far below that elite level and we can still have great success with signing players at that level.

On to plan B.
SPK who is on your replacement wishlist?

Walker for sure, coupled with a decent grad transfer except that I haven't seen SHU mentioned with a decent PG grad transfer. Perhaps the JUCO Darrington would be OK.

Rumor is Whitehead, Barrett, Griffen, Dalembert, Allen, Delgado, Powell, and Cale apparently all were highly rated recruits and committed or played at Seton Hall - so I have heard.......

Drama Queens ruin this message board.......

Wannabe insiders who pump them up with BS to believe what they want to hear doesn't help though.

Walker for sure, coupled with a decent grad transfer except that I haven't seen SHU mentioned with a decent PG grad transfer. Perhaps the JUCO Darrington would be OK.
Sounds good to me. Would definitely take the sting off losing out on Duval, who has already paid the ultimate price on Twitter. (unfollowed by a middle age "jock sniffer") :) Followed by Angel hopefully announcing he's coming back and we can move on to looking forward to next season and focus on the class of '18.

lol. yea, he went from like 20K followers to 19,999. He'll get over it in about a year from now when mock drafts have him going somewhere in the top 5.

Huh? Where is this vitriol? Two sour grapes posts out of how many in a 3 page thread...

There has been a few posts since April Fool's day that I didn't like the tone of. These are kids and make choices different then us older farts. Sometimes the older farts don't get that.

I've said this before and I'll say it again and that is the elite players like Duval, Anderson, et al are not coming to SH unless there are a highly unique set of circumstances like hiring his HS or AAU coach or a member of his family or his girlfriend is on scholarship in one of our athletic programs. There is no doubt that other talented players have commited elsewhere because of the possibility of Duval committing here and we're now scrambling to find a PG because of it. It's time to rethink our recruiting philosophy of pursuing the super elite talent and concentrate on building a team of players not far below that elite level and we can still have great success with signing players at that level.

100% not true

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT