ADVERTISEMENT

Taurean Thompson

But then again, I think we all kind of knew that he was looking to leave Syracuse as evident by the mention of it on this board earlier this summer compounded by Dan's request not to discuss it.

I also heard the same thing as far back as early June. Syracuse knew all summer he was leaving

And it's all part of some devious plan to stick it to Seton Hall because:
1. They fired Louis Orr like 15 years ago.
2. They fear them on the recruiting trails because.....???
3. Jim occasionally lost to them every once in a great while?

Haven't heard any good reason yet why Boeheim would have it out for Seton Hall. Unless, you know, maybe SH(they employed Bobby Gonzales right?) is capable of making a mistake too?

Cuse initially blocked his release during last twoish weeks, also during the last minute negotiations that had to wrapped up by 9/5, then relented. So yes they absolutely tried to stop him from coming here, at least for a little while. Or they wanted to be dicks about it for a few days just to let all involved that they knew (or thought they knew) some shadiness was involved.

Reactions: Seton00
Cuse initially blocked his release during last twoish weeks, also during the last minute negotiations that had to wrapped up by 9/5, then relented. So yes they absolutely tried to stop him from coming here, at least for a little while. Or they wanted to be dicks about it for a few days just to let all involved that they knew (or thought they knew) some shadiness was involved.

As if Syracuse is some bastion of integrity. It's over and done, time to move on for everyone involved. We were on the losing end of the deal when Kevin Ollie wined, dined, and courted an unhappy Sterling Gibbs from us. I don't recall SHU making a big stink about what happened despite Gibbs giving his word that he was coming back to us. Nothing to be gained by causing problems for a student athlete and where they want to be.

If Boeheim and Co. are that angry - I'm sure Lyons and Willard would love to get Cuse on the schedule sometime and we can settle it on the court.

Last edited:
As if Syracuse is some bastion of integrity. It's over and done, time to move on for everyone involved. We were on the losing end of the deal when Kevin Ollie wined, dined, and courted an unhappy Sterling Gibbs from us. I don't recall SHU making a big stink about what happened despite Gibbs giving his word that he was coming back to us. Nothing to be gained by causing problems for a student athlete and where they want to be.
Gibbs was also a graduate transfer, so Seton Hall would've had very little to say about where he wound up.

The appropriate consequences haven't been created for what Jimmy B pulled over the years. Many of your alums and fans are embarrassed at the lengths he has gone to cheat the system in search of recruits. You and your ilk are hypocrites.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Syracuse didn't know he was going to transfer. This staff has been around the game for what, 30+ years? And they think it's normal behavior to not hear from a player for 4 months? What the heck did they think was going to happen when the kid got the hell out of dodge in May and never returned for summer class, team workouts, etc. Not to mention he wouldn't answer/return calls from the players or staff. He went completely AWOL for three or four months.

Last edited:
Gibbs was also a graduate transfer, so Seton Hall would've had very little to say about where he wound up.

Understood, but really the point of my comments was more centered on the fact that kids change their mind all the time, coaches do plenty of legal-but-ungentlemanly things to help accomplish that, and teams would be best to take it on the chin and move on. Causing problems for the player, or trying to play hard ball with the new team rarely seem to work out to the jilted team's benefit.

The appropriate consequences haven't been created for what Jimmy B pulled over the years. Many of your alums and fans are embarrassed at the lengths he has gone to cheat the system in search of recruits. You and your ilk are hypocrites.

I'm sure you're the all knowing overseer of the Syracuse program and have all the inside info.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Syracuse didn't know he was going to transfer. This staff has been around the game for what, 30+ years? And they think it's normal behavior to not hear from a player for 4 months? What the heck did they think was going to happen when the kid got the hell out of dodge in May and never returned for summer class, team workouts, etc. Not to mention he wouldn't answer/return calls from the players or staff. He went completely AWOL for three or four months.

So it's all Syracuse's fault that Thompson acted like that all summer? LOL. Perhaps he should've just done things the correct way in the first place? Blame them, if there's issues.

Bottom line is no one here is going to have any sympathy for Syracuse on this board; nor will you find any outside of their own locale.

Further, this type of situation with players happens all the time, whether we like it or not, and whether it was handled the best way or not by the kid. This is not some tragic circumstance that has befallen Syracuse and, frankly, I would fathom this situation has worked out in Syrcause's favor countless more times than it has worked against them over the long career of Coach Jim Boeheim.

Chalk one up in the L column and move on. The fact he/they even considered trying to cause a problem for him going to "lowly" Seton Hall, a school that was never offered any respect when talking about the Big East all these years, would just seem like awfully petty behavior or, possibly, show that the Orange are a little more worried about recruiting talent in our backyard these days than they used to be.

The thing I do know is that it sure can't be about taking the moral high ground, because there is little chance your program (or nearly any for that matter) has a leg to stand on in that argument.

Enjoy your program and appreciate having your head coach around for a few more years.

Reactions: Shuathelete
Bottom line is no one here is going to have any sympathy for Syracuse on this board; nor will you find any outside of their own locale. Further, this type of situation with players happens all the time, whether we like it or not, and whether it was handled the best way or not by the kid. This is not some tragic circumstance that has befallen Syracuse and, frankly, I would fathom this situation has worked out in Syrcause's favor countless more times than it has worked against them over the long career of Coach Jim Boeheim. Chalk one up in the L column and move on. The fact he/they even considered trying to cause a problem for him going to "lowly" Seton Hall, a school that was never offered any respect when talking about the Big East all these years, would just seem like awfully petty behavior or, possibly, show that the Orange are a little more worried about recruiting talent in our backyard these days than they used to be. When thing I do know is that it sure can't be about taking the moral high ground, because there is little chance your program (or nearly any for that matter) has a leg to stand on in that argument.

Enjoy your program and appreciate having your head coach around for a few more years.

Love the continued statements about how Syracuse is fair game to be cheated and treated unfairly(I'm not saying that actually happened, just going on your statement) because they went on probation before. That's quite the logic there.

The kid transferred to Seton Hall. I have no idea why so many of you are so fired up based on pure conjecture. You got him. Enjoy.

*I especially loved how that one guy made the challenge to play Syracuse over this. LOL. Classic message board posturing.

Reactions: Seton75
I find it rather remarkable this thread is threatening to become 8 pages long. To me, it can only say one thing and that TT is a pivotal player-regardless of what negative banter Syracuse fans/alum post describing his game.

I think the sheer number of responses and the attention paid to this topic should tell you the state of the team up near the Canadian border. I wish them luck.

The departure of their assistant coach to Washington is a bigger deal than I thought.

Shuhitman is so spot on.

Whats the old saying...when youre knuckle deep there must be a booger?Everyone thinks boehiem is a scumbag because boehiem is a scumbag.

Mr. TinyWood over here just keeps going and going even after people agree with him, well, because he knows its true.

Love the continued statements about how Syracuse is fair game to be cheated and treated unfairly(I'm not saying that actually happened, just going on your statement) because they went on probation before. That's quite the logic there.

The kid transferred to Seton Hall. I have no idea why so many of you are so fired up based on pure conjecture. You got him. Enjoy.

*I especially loved how that one guy made the challenge to play Syracuse over this. LOL. Classic message board posturing.

No one is fired up. You are literally parked in a message board and rattling defensive dribble anytime someone on a SETON HALL message board mentions Syracuse. Your logic is flawed because I can guarantee you that you, and all of your fellow fans, were not keyboard-warrioring it up in defense of those schools Syracuse always got one over on. This is the reality of college basketball. All teams have been, are, and will be affected by this. Crying about Syracuse being a victim this particular time is pointless, because everyone has been a victim somewhere along the way.

Why are you still here talking about this? You lost him. Enjoy the memories from last year and move on.

Also, why is it so humorous to you that I suggested our schools play each other? We are both Northeast schools who recruit in the same area and could benefit from the RPI bump each school could offer. A nice tool for recruits to sort out their opinions of programs is to see them go head to head against each other. That would actually require a school like Syracuse to stop being afraid to play a team like ours in the non-conference season. The only posturing I see is the Cuse fan that rolled himself in here to puff out his chest and throw a comment in every time somebody has something to say to one another on the topic.

So it's all Syracuse's fault that Thompson acted like that all summer? LOL. Perhaps he should've just done things the correct way in the first place? Blame them, if there's issues.
I will say it once again. He did do the right thing. He told the coach he was leaving several months ago. Jimmy B said great but you can not transfer to SHU. He said that is where I want to go. Then they did not talk for several months. Your staff knew he was gone in May. They just did not want to admit it.

Reactions: catholicman

Syracuse sucks!!!

No one is fired up. You are literally parked in a message board and rattling defensive dribble anytime someone on a SETON HALL message board mentions Syracuse. Your logic is flawed because I can guarantee you that you, and all of your fellow fans, were not keyboard-warrioring it up in defense of those schools Syracuse always got one over on. This is the reality of college basketball. All teams have been, are, and will be affected by this. Crying about Syracuse being a victim this particular time is pointless, because everyone has been a victim somewhere along the way.

Why are you still here talking about this? You lost him. Enjoy the memories from last year and move on.

Also, why is it so humorous to you that I suggested our schools play each other? We are both Northeast schools who recruit in the same area and could benefit from the RPI bump each school could offer. A nice tool for recruits to sort out their opinions of programs is to see them go head to head against each other. That would actually require a school like Syracuse to stop being afraid to play a team like ours in the non-conference season. The only posturing I see is the Cuse fan that rolled himself in here to puff out his chest and throw a comment in every time somebody has something to say to one another on the topic.

You were talking about "settling it on the court".....hilarious. That's really how you think this scheduling stuff works?

As for why the schools don't play.....we play St John's because of MSG. We play Georgetown because of D.C. And they were both rivals of ours. Seton Hall wasn't much of a rival for the most part, and they don't offer anything recruiting wise that we don't already have. "A tool for recruits to sort out options"....I mean, they could just check the NBA draft results for the past 2 decades. Syracuse has nothing to prove vs. Seton Hall. You can't be serious?

If the two schools do end up playing, fine. It's not really a big deal to me or any other Cuse fans I know though IMO.

Good luck. I'm not interested in talking trash. Not sure what it is that I'm supposedly "crying" about either? That's an odd take. I really don't care all that much about losing TT. It's not like we're one player away and he's the missing piece. This coming year was going to be about developing our young players regardless. We've got a lot of frontcourt players, with more on the way.

The guy above said I was knocking Thompson. Not at all. I think he's seeing what he wants to see. He's a very talented scorer with some major holes to fix. He's got the hard part down already, I don't see any reason why he can't be better on D. He's gotta do it though.

Last edited:
I will say it once again. He did do the right thing. He told the coach he was leaving several months ago. Jimmy B said great but you can not transfer to SHU. He said that is where I want to go. Then they did not talk for several months. Your staff knew he was gone in May. They just did not want to admit it.

That's your side of the story. Regardless, looks like this one is settled. I actually do hope TT gets it all together and fulfills his potential. I actually feel kinda bad for him.

Last edited:
As for why the schools don't play.....we play St John's because of MSG. We play Georgetown because of D.C. And they were both rivals of ours. Seton Hall wasn't much of a rival for the most part, and they don't offer anything recruiting wise that we don't already have.

The best high school basketball in the nation (world?) Is played in a 15-mile radius in New Jersey (Union, Essex, Bergen counties), and that's been true for a decade. One would think more schools would want to come to Newark to play, if it offers a recruiting advantage

Reactions: DavidWood
Why are we continuing to give a platform to this Syracuse defender . It's time to shut him off as all that happens is that you empower him by responding to his posts.

The best high school basketball in the nation (world?) Is played in a 15-mile radius in New Jersey (Union, Essex, Bergen counties), and that's been true for a decade. One would think more schools would want to come to Newark to play, if it offers a recruiting advantage

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that playing Villanova in Philly or St. John's in MSG brings more to the table from that standpoint. They're both close enough to NJ, while offering things SH doesn't....an elite program(recently) in Nova or MSG. Not to mention both were bigger SU rivals in the BE glory days.

Reactions: Joe_T
Why are we continuing to give a platform to this Syracuse defender . It's time to shut him off as all that happens is that you empower him by responding to his posts.

It's just a conversation. What's the problem? I haven't knocked SH or insulted anyone. I don't have anything against SH. Never did.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that playing Villanova in Philly or St. John's in MSG brings more to the table from that standpoint. They're both close enough to NJ, while offering things SH doesn't....an elite program(recently) in Nova or MSG. Not to mention both were bigger SU rivals in the BE glory days.
I wouldn't exactly call MSG with the Knicks and Jonnies a hot bed anymore. It hasn't been in a long while. And I don't think a professional arena is what sells recruits at all.

It may help you to read about all the recruits that show up at the Prudential Center either for SHU or their opponent. I think you'd realize you're 100% wrong in your above assessment.

Camden, Cherry Hill and the Freehold area hasn't produced much since the days of Dajaun Wagner and JR Smith. Northeast Jersey is pretty much where it's at for the nations collective best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT