ADVERTISEMENT

Taurean Thompson

The analogy was a hypothetical and spot on. Think of how we would react if someone said Monmouth is "closing the gap" on Seton Hall. Some on this board would lose their minds. Can't blame the Syracuse folks, as much as I dislike them, for being surprised this is even being discussed.

I don't think this is even close to being accurate. Seton Hall was in Syracuse's conference for 30+ years. They recruited the same players. Granted, we lost more of them to Boeheim, but we were competing on the same level. Monmouth doesn't even recruit the same players as we do.

Okkkkkkkkkk back on topic.

Can someone please refresh my memory what happened with the TT recruitment last year and why did he back out/deny that he verbaled to the Hall on his visit?

Was it his mom wanted him to go to cuse?

Okkkkkkkkkk back on topic.

Can someone please refresh my memory what happened with the TT recruitment last year and why did he back out/deny that he verbaled to the Hall on his visit?

Was it his mom wanted him to go to cuse?
Allegedly mom was strongly against him going to Syracuse & wanted him to stay close to home at the Hall

Allegedly mom was strongly against him going to Syracuse & wanted him to stay close to home at the Hall
Thanks. For some reason I thought he wanted shu but mom wanted Syracuse which is why he pulled back his verbal to us that he made during his visit.

Here we go if you can't beat them throw out the cheating card.

Yeah. But. Syracuse actually got investigated and punished, with how many victories vacated? That's pretty embarrassing, if you have any pride in your program. While we're at it, you keep alluding to the year that SU was "the first team left out of the field." In the flukey Final 4 season, if the Cuse had been left out of the field, there wasn't a pundit (or honest Syracuse fan) in the country who would have argued it.

TT content: I hope he comes to SHU.

Yeah. But. Syracuse actually got investigated and punished, with how many victories vacated? That's pretty embarrassing, if you have any pride in your program. While we're at it, you keep alluding to the year that SU was "the first team left out of the field." In the flukey Final 4 season, if the Cuse had been left out of the field, there wasn't a pundit (or honest Syracuse fan) in the country who would have argued it.

TT content: I hope he comes to SHU.

This. Syracuse should not have been in the field of 68 the year it made the Final Four. However, I credit it for making the most of the fortunate opportunity.

I too didn't think they deserved to be in the Dance that year but they proved me wrong by their play.

That said the skeptics were not off base who felt that way. It was a debatable point.

Board was a lot better without all the delusional cuse fools... small price we have to pay, small price we have to pay for TT to make the right decision and leave that hot mess and come to the better team

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I too didn't think they deserved to be in the Dance that year but they proved me wrong by their play.

That said the skeptics were not off base who felt that way. It was a debatable point.

Yeah, it was a debatable point at the time. Not anymore. The Orange should've shut everyone up by going out and making a run. If you're still beating that drum a few years later, you just look silly and too stubborn to admit you were wrong...aka Doug Gottlieb. Never go full Doug Gottlieb.

Best of luck to him and his family.

The Hall would be a tremendous place for him to get a quality education and play big time Big East college basketball the NYC Metro area at an arena that can hold 15k+ fans for big games.

Yeah, it was a debatable point at the time. Not anymore. The Orange should've shut everyone up by going out and making a run. If you're still beating that drum a few years later, you just look silly and too stubborn to admit you were wrong...aka Doug Gottlieb. Never go full Doug Gottlieb.

It's obviously still debatable that they should have made the tournament that year.

DW your logic doesn't add up. You agree their resume (body of work up to Selection Sunday) could be debated if they should have earned one of the at-large bids, at the time of Selection Sunday. And nothing could impact the body of work up to selection sunday, but now somehow it's undebatable? Whether Cuse won the championship that year or whether they lost in the first round has no impact on the body of work that they put together at the point and time right before the brackets were announced.

You look silly and I'm sure you will be too stubborn to admit you were wrong.

Performance in the tournament doesn't justify selection. Selection is based on what a team does up until that point.

Reactions: SoCalBrett
It's obviously still debatable that they should have made the tournament that year.

DW your logic doesn't add up. You agree their resume (body of work up to Selection Sunday) could be debated if they should have earned one of the at-large bids, at the time of Selection Sunday. And nothing could impact the body of work up to selection sunday, but now somehow it's undebatable? Whether Cuse won the championship that year or whether they lost in the first round has no impact on the body of work that they put together at the point and time right before the brackets were announced.

You look silly and I'm sure you will be too stubborn to admit you were wrong.

Here's how this works.....it's called showing and proving. The Orange went to the final four. Which proves they belonged in the tourney. If they had gone out in round 1, then you could maybe keep up your yapping years later that they shouldn't have made it. That's how sports works. Any of these nerdy debates always get settled by what actually happens on the court. Final four. End of discussion.

If it makes you feel better to say things like "they shouldn't have made it anyway", or "they got lucky draws", go for it. Just realize you look silly and bitter from my perspective. There's no "should've or shouldn't haves", there's only what actually happened.

Nobody other than the committee and Cuse fans thinks Cuse deserved a bid. Boeheim is a great coach. He's also a great whiner and complainer.

Performance in the tournament doesn't justify selection. Selection is based on what a team does up until that point.

And they got selected to the tournament. That's what happened. And then they made the final four. Get over it.

Nobody other than the committee and Cuse fans thinks Cuse deserved a bid. Boeheim is a great coach. He's also a great whiner and complainer.

And only people who don't like Cuse care enough to still cry about it two years later. Cuse made the tournament and then went to the final four. Can't rewrite history with "should've". The games played and results that happen remove all biases. Cuse was good enough to go to the final four. Works for me.

ThompsonThompsonThompsonThompson

Yeah. This went from a debate to now being childish posturing.

Time to let it go on both sides.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Come on guys. Can you imagine how insufferable so many of us would be with Cuse's accomplishments. Let it go...

Yeah, most of you actually seem pretty reasonable. I came here just to give my thoughts on TT as a player, but it's easy to get sucked into side discussions when your team is being discussed. Enjoy the season.

This. Syracuse should not have been in the field of 68 the year it made the Final Four. However, I credit it for making the most of the fortunate opportunity.

I'm not going to get into another debate with you guys, but 100 percent we should have been in the field, had 5 top 50 wins and a win at Duke, no brainer.

I noticed they lost to both BE teams they played , Georgetown and SJU , neither of which was ranked and lose their three last games to number 8 UNC and unranked FSU and Pitt and finished just 9-9 in conference play.

Reactions: Seton00
Guys, I love The Hall as much as all of us do, but I have no beef with the Cuse at all, my best friend went there while we were at school 98-2003 and he had the best of us but I respected them as a program, if Jimmy B was our coach we would love the guy, true story... I love where we are trending now, but had no ill will towards Cuse either.. Go Hall

Part of the reason Syracuse got in that year was based, I'm sure, on their history of strong performances. And to me, that's fair. It's the reason Seton Hall got a bid in 1994 when we lost to Michigan State. That wasn't really an NCAA-worthy team, but look at the run we were on from 1988-93. It matters, even if it is not an official criterion.

And, of course, they made the most of the opportunity, so they're going to get it again if they are ever in that same situation.

Now that TT has signed with us.. I make a motion to remove this post...

The Cuse / SH pissing contest is ridiculous.
  • Cuse is obviously a great, legendary staple of NCAA Hoops
  • SH has had a few great runs (early 90's) and are currently on one
Lets enjoy the run and move on.

Dated article

Taurean Thompson eager to improve with Syracuse basketball, 'not ready' for NBA
Posted on March 18, 2017 at 3:37 PM

By Chris Carlson

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Taurean Thompson is eager to get back to work. And he's eager to do it at Syracuse.

The promising freshman forward spent most of the aftermath of SU's 85-80 second-round NIT loss to Mississippi talking about how he intends to improve next season, and provided assurances he wouldn't be the next in a series of surprise NBA Draft departures that Syracuse has gotten accustomed to in recent years.

"The NBA? I'm not ready," Thompson said after Saturday's game. "I still have a lot of work to do. I'm not worried about all that. Right now, I'm just focused on the gym. Right now it's just going back to college. I just need to get in the gym."

Thompson is not yet listed on mock drafts or hyped by NBA experts but at 6-foot-10 and with a feathery jumper, he is one of the most advanced offensive big men that Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says he has worked with.

"I'm just going to talk with my family and see what's best," the forward says.

In an era where players can "test the waters," attempting to go to the NBA Combine and work out for NBA teams and still return to school, Thompson's mindset about his future is worth at least a moment of interest.

Thankfully, for Syracuse fans, it sounds like Thompson won't spend too much time mulling it over.

As a freshman, Thompson averaged 9.2 points while playing just 17.9 minutes and converted 54.6 percent of his shots. Those numbers dipped only slightly during conference play, despite the increase in competition.

"If he played 32 minutes he would have averaged 15 points a game," Boeheim said. "He's very good offensively. It's usually the other way. Usually the offense takes more time."

Thompson ended his season with yet another promising performance, tying for a team-high 18 points, while making 8-of-11 shots from the floor.

He scored two of SU's first three baskets on the soft mid-range jumpers that helped him pick apart zone defenses throughout the year. Later in the game he showcased advanced patience and poise with the ball, pivoting around the paint and remaining calm even as defenders closed in.

He also displayed improved rebounding ability, securing four offensive rebounds and scoring six second-chance points. Thompson grabbed eight rebounds for the second consecutive game and for the fourth time in seven contests, consistently hitting a number he failed to reach the first half of the year.

As has often been the case this season, there were also moments of deficient defense. Despite his strong offensive start, Thompson was pulled off the floor less than three minutes into the game after a Mississippi player slipped behind him on the defensive end for an and-1 layup.

Afterward, his eyes lit up when discussing his 3-point shot, which fell 18.8 percent of the time, and he acknowledged he is one of a handful players on the team whose mentality and personality tilted toward offense at the expense of the Orange's traditionally strong 2-3 zone.

Still, after a season in which his defensive performance was a constant point of emphasis, Thompson earned praise from his head coach in the aftermath. For perhaps the first time, Thompson was more frustrated by his defense than Boeheim, and the forward repeated multiple times he needs to be more consistent with his approach.

"There were too many days when it was, 'Is Taurean going to be good on defense or bad?' " Thompson said. "I want, next year, Coach to be able to say, 'I know I can count on Taurean.'"

"You're a freshman," Boeheim said. "I don't think we've ever had a freshman center that was that good right away. Not once. It takes time. ... Big change when you're a big guy coming into college your first year. Some guys aren't ready at all their freshman year. Look at North Carolina's (Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks), they weren't good at all. It takes time."

Although he wouldn't commit to it, it looks like he'll be wearing Orange next year.

Boeheim credited Thompson for playing strong 3/4-front defense on Mississippi's star center Sebastian Saiz, denying him the ball and helping hold him below his season average.

Thompson, though, was too busy counting the times he failed to rotate off of Saiz, allowing Mississippi's shooters to hit a pair of 3-pointers from the corner.

"it's a mindset thing," Thompson said. "You go up and down a couple times and everyone is winded. The great players, who stand out, say I'm not tired and I'm going to keep pushing. That's where the greatness comes in. I need to be focused on that."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...th_syracuse_basketball_not_ready_for_nba.html

Boeheim is pissed because of how this went down with Thompson. It was unclear all summer what TT would do and the communication lines were bad. Then at the last minute he ultimately decides to leave and head to Seton Hall.

So Boeheim is jilted.

Thompson is a very different player than Delgado. How much of Delgado's game will rub off on him during practice this year? Looking forward to seeing how Thompson develops for 2018-19.

If the communication lines were bad then it's up to Boeheim and his staff to correct that and to meet face to face and discuss the issues and to atttempt to resolve whatever was bothering TT and if he really wanted to return to Cuse.

If the communication lines were bad then it's up to Boeheim and his staff to correct that and to meet face to face and discuss the issues and to atttempt to resolve whatever was bothering TT and if he really wanted to return to Cuse.

Communication lines weren't bad but Boeheim's ability to work through the denial process is sorely lacking. When a player says in May 'I'm leaving', it means he's leaving!

Has anybody at Syracuse U actually been quoted on or off the record saying they're complaining against SHU?

There was a single wild, irresponsibly concocted and speculative comment in a Syracuse newspaper about collusion. Talk about Fake News.

And this non-issue about Orr is also an invented discussion. Has anybody at Syracuse U actually been quoted on or off the record during the last week complaining about Orr?

Has anybody at Syracuse U actually been quoted on or off the record saying they're complaining against SHU?

There was a single wild, irresponsibly concocted and speculative comment in a Syracuse newspaper about collusion. Talk about Fake News.

And this non-issue about Orr is also an invented discussion. Has anybody at Syracuse U actually been quoted on or off the record during the last week complaining about Orr?
Great question - Perhaps it was imagined or anticipated because there has been no announcement by SHU and various media articles stated that SHU declined comment. Kills me that we might be scrutinized over a kid that is coming home (Jersey City formally Harlem?) and Connecticut allegedly tampered with St John's top recruit from NYC. Quodos to St John's taking the "high road". Love the fact that Forester said he got along well with TT at SHU or words to that effect. One could play C the other F......

The answer is yes. cuse has been saying all summer they will not release him to seton hall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT