ADVERTISEMENT

Taurean Thompson

Hard to gauge a players defensive ability when you play zone all the time. Didn't he play for Hurley at St. Anthony?

It's very possible that he plays better defense in man to man. He's likely more comfortable in it due to familiarity. Maybe his effort will be better.

His refusal to put his hands up and lack of moving his feet certainly won't translate to man to man if he continues to do so, though. If he can improve to merely adequate on that end and learns that passing is legal, he'll be a very good player. Lots of potential but lots of work to do.

Did we set Brodie aside for one year because we knew that TT was coming?

Does this mean we are 2018
TT - 6-9
Nzie 6-8
Sandro 6-10
Brodie 6-10
JC Red shirt 7-0
Forrester 6-9 (wild hope on my part )
Manuel 6-9
Cale 6-4
Powell 6-3
One more 6 - 10 georgian next year (will happen)
Lighting at the point guard
Assortment of players like McKnight

I am signing up for that right now !

I'd rather have King than one more 6 -10 Georgian. I also think you missed Gordon. In addition, with TT, it would probably be Manual or Forrester, not both. That last ship needs to be another PG.

Reactions: shupat08
Taurean Thompson won't return to Syracuse
i

Jason Getz/USA TODAY Sports

After an impressive freshman season, forward Taurean Thompson will not be returning to the Syracuse Orange.

"We have been informed that Taurean is taking a leave of absence from Syracuse University," coach Jim Boeheim said in a statement to Syracuse.com. "My understanding is he wants to go to school closer to home due to some family health issues."
Thompson was set to be a focal point of the Orange's 2017-18 squad as the only returning big man who played significant minutes last season. The 6-foot-10 forward averaged 9.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 17.9 minutes per game, but showed improved production as the season progressed.

Thompson posted double-digit points in seven of his last 10 games, including an 18-point, eight-rebound performance against the Ole Miss Rebels in Syracuse's second round NIT loss.

The loss of Thompson means more will be expected from 7-foot-2 center Paschal Chukwu, a transfer from the Providence Friars, in the middle of the team's 2-3 zone. Chukwu appeared in only seven games with the Orange last season and posted 1.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game in just 15.4 minutes per contest.

-- Sam Henken

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n-thompson-return-syracuse-orange-next-season

Carolina case was different... that was an intra-Conference grad transfer from Pitt, so the circumstances weren't the same.

One issue about players transferring from one D-1 school to another D-1 school is that the student-athlete must obtain written permission from the Athletic Director of the school he's transferring from before he can contact another school.

And that was a great run, got lucky with the draw but you can only beat who is in front of you... but they have sucked last year and this year doesn't look much better...

And that was a great run, got lucky with the draw but you can only beat who is in front of you... but they have sucked last year and this year doesn't look much better...

"Sucked"....we went .500 in the ACC. Beat 3 top ten teams. "Sucked" is relative. It was a bad year for Cuse. It would be a good year for a Boston College(someone laughably brought them up earlier).

Team is incredibly young this year. Could be a long year, but who knows? We've never seen most of these guys play. The following recruiting class is shaping up to be a great one. I think we'll be fine going forward.

Cuse has been a very good program for a long time. But Jimmy Bs teflon is starting to crack. I think the program is in danger of becoming less relevant due to the ACC effect on a northern team and the lack of natural rivalries. We will see in 3 or 4 years.

Cuse is an elite bball school and one down year doesn't change that. Will they remain good after JB retires? Who knows, but the same can be said for every other school in the entire nation.

Reactions: Seton75
Cuse has been a very good program for a long time. But Jimmy Bs teflon is starting to crack. I think the program is in danger of becoming less relevant due to the ACC effect on a northern team and the lack of natural rivalries. We will see in 3 or 4 years.

Not sure how being in the best conference is a bad thing. I don't agree that being a northern team in the ACC matters. Boston College was often bad in the Big East too. We aren't BC.

Probation hurt us, but it's over now and recruiting is picking back up.

It's true that Cuse may have more difficulty recruiting NY/NJ since they left the BigEast but I think they are still a big enough name that they will get their fair share of talent.

It's true that Cuse may have more difficulty recruiting NY/NJ since they left the BigEast but I think they are still a big enough name that they will get their fair share of talent.

I think they'll slowly fall off into a middle of the pack team in the ACC once Jimmy leaves. Similar to what is happening to UConn, but not as bad as Pittsburgh.

Sucked we had like 6 top 50 wins this year, we were the last team left out of the field, When has Bc gone to the Final Four and been the last team left out of the tournament in back to back years?

Surprise, surprise. LOL

Regarding eligibility. That's a possibility.
Dan, did Daisha Simmons have to sit out after transfer from Alabama to women's team? I know she too had a family health situation.

Will this have a larger impact and give us some momentum with the 2018 class? Will it help with forrester knowing we have a solid center? Will it help with Louis king?

If thebstaff can manage to get forrester and king to go along with Thompson that would be a great class.

Reactions: Seton00
Both SH and Cuse fans need to chill a bit.

First off, Cuse doesn't suck. It's true they have had some down years the last few and Boeheim doesn't have the clout he used to. Losing TT leaves them thin up front this year for sure. BUT, they still have the recent final 4 run, they still routinely beat us out for a lot of recruits we like and have a nice 2018 class shaping up. We are closing the gap but still have a lot more to prove.

On the other hand, it's ridiculous for Cuse fans to start saying things like Taurean isn't a good player. It's clear he needs to work on his defense as most freshman players do but to act like he's just a project or that Syracuse is better off without him is absurd. Prior to any transfer rumblings, Cuse fans were expecting him to be the 2nd leading scorer behind Battle and some sites had him as a potential breakout player this year capable of scoring 15-17 points per game.

Bottom line - Great pickup for SH, kid has a lot of talent but he has to buy into the full team concept, work on all aspects of his game and mature into a man. Hopefully the sit-out year will help with all of that. Big loss for Cuse in 17/18 but they will recover fine after that. They are not BC.

Ever since I can remember, Cuse has always been in the mix at season's end.
Their fans almost always have something to root for in March.

Will this have a larger impact and give us some momentum with the 2018 class? Will it help with forrester knowing we have a solid center? Will it help with Louis king?

If thebstaff can manage to get forrester and king to go along with Thompson that would be a great class.
Andrew nembhard is a stud. If we can get him and king along with TT, that would be something special.

Syracuse is trending downward the last few years. It may not be as obvious because of their late run to the FF after a very average season.

Doesn't mean they aren't a good program but they are no longer near elite as they once were.

SHU on the other hand has closed the gap (which was substantial) the last couple of years and this season most probably would have been the better team even if TT stayed in upstate NY.

Moving forward I don't think the gap between the two will be that great either way.

Cuse has lost its identity since going to the Good Ole Boys conference and no longer has the advantage the BE gave them. They still have a HOF coach, a huge fan base and a winning tradition. I was dissapointed when Hopkins went to coach Washington, because we all saw what his coaching would have done to that program.

Reactions: deheremike
Regardless of Taurean's eligibility status this is huge for the program. Add King and we now have a heck of a 2018 team. Thats what good programs do. Counting down the days until the season starts!!!

Reactions: ShuVol
I was dissapointed when Hopkins went to coach Washington, because we all saw what his coaching would have done to that program.
Hopkins was the coach who recruited Thompson. Who knows if he was still at Syracuse whether TT would have transferred.

Reactions: shupat08
Regarding the done questions......

When transferring is involved it's never a done until it becomes official.

Clearly Thompson wants to come to SHU but it will be a while before anything becomes official.

We're just going to have to wait until the process is completed.

Regarding the done questions......

When transferring is involved it's never a done until it becomes official.

Clearly Thompson wants to come to SHU but it will be a while before anything becomes official.

We're just going to have to wait until the process is completed.

Isn't add/drop Sept 5? Meaning if it's not complete by then, he won't be eligibility until 2nd semester his Jr year?

Bleacher Reports announced today that TT is transferring. No story just his name under players transferring.

Reactions: Joe_T
Both SH and Cuse fans need to chill a bit.

First off, Cuse doesn't suck. It's true they have had some down years the last few and Boeheim doesn't have the clout he used to. Losing TT leaves them thin up front this year for sure. BUT, they still have the recent final 4 run, they still routinely beat us out for a lot of recruits we like and have a nice 2018 class shaping up. We are closing the gap but still have a lot more to prove.

On the other hand, it's ridiculous for Cuse fans to start saying things like Taurean isn't a good player. It's clear he needs to work on his defense as most freshman players do but to act like he's just a project or that Syracuse is better off without him is absurd. Prior to any transfer rumblings, Cuse fans were expecting him to be the 2nd leading scorer behind Battle and some sites had him as a potential breakout player this year capable of scoring 15-17 points per game.

Bottom line - Great pickup for SH, kid has a lot of talent but he has to buy into the full team concept, work on all aspects of his game and mature into a man. Hopefully the sit-out year will help with all of that. Big loss for Cuse in 17/18 but they will recover fine after that. They are not BC.

If you've ever read the Cuse board, you'd see these obvious takes on his game going back to last year. It's not sour grapes. If you just look at his ppg, of course he looks good. If you actually watch him play every game, you'd see that his defense was every bit as bad as his scoring was good. Someone wondered why he mostly came off the bench or only played 18 mpg....well, there you go. There were reasons. In fact, his minutes went up when we lost Coleman and Chukwu to season ending injuries, otherwise he would've played less. So we had 3 players for the PF and C positions. Lydon would play 40 minutes every game. The other 40 were split between Thompson....All offense and no defense and Tyler Roberson - a pretty good defender and rebounder with no offensive game. We were basically playing 4 on 5 on one end of the court no matter which one was in there.

Absolutely, he would've scored a lot this year. Part of that was by default.....we've only got 4 players back and TT and Battle were the only ones who showed anything. I was expecting 15 ppg at least. There's more to the game than that though. If his D didn't improve, he wouldn't have helped us win many games this coming year.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the team to be all that good with or without him this year. Its no sour grapes. I hope TT gets it together and improves his weaknesses and becomes a big time player and not just a guy who shoots and scores a lot.

Not sure how being in the best conference is a bad thing. I don't agree that being a northern team in the ACC matters. Boston College was often bad in the Big East too. We aren't BC.
Just for your info, BC was in the Big East for approximately 26 years. They went to the NCAAs 11 times and to the NIT 6 times. That is 17 post season appearances in 26 years - not too shabby and they were not in fact "often bad" as you say. Since joining the ACC in 2005-2006 they have not been to the post season since 2011 (NIT) and made 3 NCAAs (right after they left the BE) and 2 NITs. They are often bad now but not before. This trend above could be coming to a theater near you....

Cuse has lost its identity since going to the Good Ole Boys conference and no longer has the advantage the BE gave them. They still have a HOF coach, a huge fan base and a winning tradition. I was dissapointed when Hopkins went to coach Washington, because we all saw what his coaching would have done to that program.

LOL, I think you guys are seeing what you want to see. In reality, probation did what it was supposed to do to us. We had reduced scholarships, and we had a few recruits who were pressed into duty, struggled early and transferred out. In a normal situation, they wouldn't have even played so much early on and would've had time to develop. Also had some recruits who were unexpectedly one and dones to the NBA. So we had zero roster depth or balance between classes and had to scramble for some 5th year seniors to prevent disaster.

The ACC has only "hurt" us in the sense that we had a couple down teams roster wise going against the absolutely brutal schedule. If you recall, we went 14-4 our first year in the ACC. That was when the roster was still fully stocked. We'll be back to normal roster wise in 2019, and Boeheim will likely go out strong in his last few years.

Just for your info, BC was in the Big East for approximately 26 years. They went to the NCAAs 11 times and to the NIT 6 times. That is 17 post season appearances in 26 years - not too shabby and they were not in fact "often bad" as you say. Since joining the ACC in 2005-2006 they have not been to the post season since 2011 (NIT) and made 3 NCAAs (right after they left the BE) and 2 NITs. They are often bad now but not before. This trend above could be coming to a theater near you....

I've been a Cuse and college bball fan since the 80s, I'm well aware of BC. They were in or near the basement quite a few times, with several single digit win seasons. I believe they are the only original Big East school that never made a final four. They likely would've faded in the Big East too....they left right before Louisville, Marquette, and Cincinatti joined(3 programs that were better than them). They were never a consistent program. They had some good teams, they had a lot of mediocre teams, and they had some horrid teams.

As good as the Big East was in the 80s, there's never been leagues with the depth of strong programs that the Big East had from 2006-2012(which BC avoided) or the ACC has now. BC's struggles aren't due to geography IMO. Historically speaking, they're not even a top 10 program in their own league. Makes it tough to build a winner. It's a lot easier if you're in a 4 bid league or something.

i am incredibly excited over this possibility. TT would be a huge get for SHU and honestly i'd prefer, given that he really transfers to SHU, that he not be eligible this year.

as far a syracuse goes...yeah they may seem to be trending downward recently but i find it hard to believe they will truly fade away. ACC is clearly the strongest conference (even if they have a thousand teams) and truth us that seton hall would look far worse if we were stuck with that ACC conference schedule. syracuse will have some growing pains whenever boeheim does retire, but they are an elite program with a strong history. i expect they will be just fine.

anyway, fingers crossed that we really make this happen. can't wait to see how it turns out. i am very excited for this season to start, and this TT possibility gives me a ton of hope for the program after this year.

No offense to my fellow Pirates, but the posts about the Cuse demise comes off much like 2006 posts from RU about how they were surpassing Notre Dame in football. Is the demise of SU post-JB a distinct possibility? Yes. Is it possible for us to come off well posting that especially when posited as an almost assured occurrence? Not really.

ACC is clearly the strongest conference (even if they have a thousand teams) and truth us that seton hall would look far worse if we were stuck with that ACC conference schedule.
I expected that someone would bring up the conferences. But stat wise, and I know that doesn't always tell the whole story. the Big East and the ACC have been very close the last couple of years according to every computer rating service.

My eye test tells me that clearly the ACC is superior but not to the point that in any given year they would be ranked more than 1 team or two apart.

As I see it I would rate the conferences power wise (eye test) the last few years as

1A ACC
1B Big 12
3 Big East
4 Big Ten
5 SEC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT